Blank-133x176
The Year of the Jackpot

Robert A. Heinlein

The Year of the Jackpot

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  20 reviews
About the Story: This novelette appeared in the March 1952 issue of GALAXY and is the only work which Heinlein wrote specifically for Horace Gold, the editor of GALAXY magazine. (Heinlein’s novel THE PUPPET MASTERS had been serialized in the September through November 1951 issues of GALAXY but Gold had merely acquired serial rights to a contract novel which had been writte...more
Published 1957 (first published March 1952)

Jeff Yoak
The Year of the Jackpot is a story centered around a crusty statistician who looks for macro-cycles in life broadly and avoids being the paradigmatic nut by turning out to be right. It's also a sweet love story. As Heinlein stories go, it is probably bottom third, but that's still pretty darned nice.
Sharon Eudy Neufeld
This short story is an excellent intro to Heinlein. Although science has overtaken his technological premise, it can never overtake his morality. A mathematician with the unlikely name of Potiphar Breem has been earning a living as a general advisor to business, politicians and individuals about cycles, business, fashion and even astronomical. When an otherwise sensible girl strips herself naked right before his eyes, he becomes convinced that the "Lady Godiva" cycle heralds something really big...more
Jason
A fun, quick read that becomes downright eerie at times. Heinlein didn't need to see the future to write this novella: he simply understands statistics, the recurrence of trends, and the herd mentality. Even so, I was taken aback at how "here, now, today" his vision seems to be. The decline of intellectualism and extreme political division are pretty easy predictions looking from the 1950s toward the future, agreed, but his description of the rise of the "American Rally" political movement (the...more
Jess
Not as good as The Door Into Summer (my first Heinlein novella), but better than most of the stuff that's out there. I've become a Robert Heinlein fan & am looking forward to reading more. I'm not even a science fiction fan, but Heinlein makes it seems real, not so far out there that it's unbelievable.
Rick Sand
I enjoyed this story. It's actually the first work I've ever read from Heinlein. I picked it up when it was the Deal of the Day and read it right away. The plot revolves around a statistician who records any bit of 'silly' business he can find. He calculates the ebbs and flow of civilization from peaceful and ordinary to chaotic and destructive. When he finds a woman stripped down naked at a bus stop for no apparent reason (even she isn't sure why), he knows the end is nigh! The story is broken...more
Bearcatgary
Very interesting novella by Robert Heinlein. The story is amusing and mostly tongue-in-cheek at the beginning and transitions into a much more serious tone towards the end.

Heinlein actually foresees the use of big data to predict trends. The protagonist is a statistician who tracks the occurrences of similar events in society. He realizes that there is a cyclical pattern to all of these events and that a major negative inflection point will occur in the present year (1952).
Bob
Holds up pretty well. I re-read this recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Jim
A rather short novella but quite enjoyable look at the early Heinlien. Yes, the story is dated as to the world it postulates - science and history have rendered it moot. But I enjoyed the relationship between the two main characters and the way he developed the story. I've certainly enjoyed his work in the past and am looking forward to revisiting it in the future.
HBalikov
Jason's review says it as well as I could. An easy to read intro to one of the greatest of all science fiction authors.

Written in a post-atom bomb world where self-destruction was on the top of almost everybody's worry list, Heinlein finds his groove in making this topic interesting and humorous.

A quick read.
Greg Freed
Mar 21, 2012 Greg Freed rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sci-fi fans, Heinlein fans
Recommended to Greg by: The Galaxy Project
A fun story about a statician who manages to predict with accuracy some interesting world events. Includes standard plucky Heinlein heroine. I finished one section per 45-minute commute, so it broke up pretty naturally for me. Also shows Heinlein in his element: silly but serious stuff discussed. Recommended.
G33z3r
It's easy to forget just how marvelously readable Robert Heinlein's prose is. This novella just flows beautifully in its storytelling, doling out exposition so subtly (at least until the last page!) Story as little as optimistic than most of Heinlein's writings. An excellent read.
Mmyoung
Solid good fun, Gary Stu story that moves so quickly as has such a small cast that the sexism doesn't get a full chance to express itself. Apparently it takes place in a world in which there are apparently Hispanics or African-Americans in Southern California.
JoAnn Jordan
This is an excellent little book. I thoroughly enjoyed the characters and plot. Seems like the story has application to our own time though the focus year is 1952.

I love Heinlein and this is a gem. I highly recommend it.
Yougo
A fun littl novelette. Short, but interesting in it's premise. Not what I expected from Heinlein storywise, but it did have his style (bantering yet attracted main characters). Kind of funny, kind of serious, and not a bad read.
Purcell
It is decent and bearable, but you get what you expect with heinlein, namely female characters exist at best as foils for males and largely there as warm bodies and wish fulfillment. Fun little story though.
Cor
Sexist. Homophobic. But it is 50's Sci-fi, so I guess that is expected. It was tolerable otherwise.
Angie
Interesting little novella that displays so many Heinleinesque qualities!
Colby
heinlein does noir detective. a very cool little read.
Tim Worthington
Measured up to the standard
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Simona
Simona marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Robert Anson Heinlein was an American novelist and science fiction writer. Often called "the dean of science fiction writers", he is one of the most popular, influential, and controversial authors of "hard science fiction".

He set a high standard for science and engineering plausibility and helped to raise the genre's standards of literary quality. He was the first SF writer to break into mainstre...more
More about Robert A. Heinlein...
Stranger in a Strange Land Starship Troopers The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress Time Enough for Love (The World As Myth) The Puppet Masters