Start by marking “Women and Other Monsters” as Want to Read:
Women and Other Monsters

Women and Other Monsters

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Vampires and the people who want to kill them, African Death Gods that fall in love with slave-owners, Alien scientists who intervene in the humanoid race they're studying, and a woman so bent on revenge that readers will cross their legs and cringe. These are just some of the stories included in Bernard Schaffer's first collection, Women and Other Monsters.
***
Vampires ar
Kindle Edition, 1 edition , 102 pages
Published May 12th 2011 by Apiary Society Publications

To ask other readers questions about Women and Other Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women and Other Monsters

The Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Wise Man's Fear by Patrick RothfussMistborn by Brandon SandersonThe Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott LynchThe Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie
New Speculative Fiction Stars
182nd out of 734 books — 1,988 voters
Stories and Scripts by Zack Love2013 by Oliver F. ChaseImpromptu Scribe by Alex MorrittBest of Ohio Short Stories by Brad PauquetteSingle Girls by Veronica Blade
Recommended Short Story Collections
29th out of 40 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Haresh Daswani
Bernard's craft in writing stories does not just stop with amazing stories that keeps a reader glued to the book. He has great art in creating the tonal element and is very fluent in his ability to paint pictures with words. This is a rare craft indeed.

The greatest challenge in short stories is the ability to send the reader to another dimension, see the place, feel it, and transport. Bernard has been able to transport his reader from one place to the next, making me cringe on what will happen n
Nenette
A very interesting collection of short stories. Pardon me but I couldn't help but compare with Murakami's 'Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman' as far as the level of weirdness (of plot and characters) is concerned. I think that they are on the same level, but Schaffer's collection for me has sense, most definitely. The stories all end with the reader left to wonder about the obvious, and be awed by their own conclusion.

Of all the stories, my personal favorite is 'Digestif', which is the author's way o
Brandon Schaffer
My dad wrote this but said that I can not read it until I am 35.
Stephanie Sellers
Women and Other Monsters by Bernard J. Schaffer made me want to go camping.
Yes, invite my crazy friends who like to be frightened so badly they squeal like
little girls. (These people like The Blair Witch Project.) And practice my mean
old lady schizo voice and send my friends into frightened fits with shortened
versions of Women and Other Monsters's first two short stories.
Like death resurrection tales? Bernard's got 'em in Women and Other Monsters.
This collection of short stories is a smorg
Ami Blackwelder
Women and Monsters by Bernard Schaffer was an intriguing read of short stories. His eclectic mix of stories range from scifi, historical, paranormal, and rare twists on reality. The writing overall is unpredictable and clever. Some of the stories are more to my taste than others, but I would recommend this author to those who love short stories.

The Reluctant Death:
From the very first page, I was drawn in by beautiful prose that read more like poetry, rich with symbolism and a sense of Irish/Fre
Nicole
Enter into the twisted mind of writer Bernard Schaffer in his collection of short stories, Women and Other Monsters. The collection consists of 5 short stories that are each different, dark and deserving to be read. Each story is written with lots of character and beautiful descriptions. You actually feel like you're there; you can hear the voices, feel the temperature in the room even. And yet, that is all that connects these stories, as they are each unique from one another.

1. The Reluctant D
Stacy Eaton
Very interesting and diverse set of Short Stories! Enjoy it.

The Reluctant Death:
This was a well written story that brings about the truth of racism in the south way back when. Great twist in this and this story really kept my interest. I was sorry that it was over when I got to the last line.

Codename Omega:
I enjoyed this story and wish this was more of a novella then a short story. So much could be done with that I hope the author will dwell more into this and bring it to life in a longer book.
Laurie
This is a really tough book for me to review because I know the guy... sort of. And I want to love everything he writes because he's a good guy.

That said, if I had to rate each individual story in the book, they would not all get five stars. However, "Cold Comforts" and "Digestif" easily deserve six stars and "Nazareth" at least five, so I figure a 5-star rating is not unwarranted. Hell, maybe the book deserves 10 stars just because it's only .99!

Just a warning: "Cold Comforts" is not for the fa
C.C. Cole
“Women and Other Monsters” is an interesting collection of horror tales that begin in historic colonial Africa, early America, World War I, World War II, present time, and the under and outer worlds. While some of the stories were intriguing, others are humorous. In general, this is a good, fast read that is entertaining and fun. Four stars!
J.J. Toner
Interesting stories, Bernard, but too many typos, especially in the first 3 stories. Typos make hair grow on my palms.

Typoman
Andrew Carlson
It wasn't my thing. The short stories captured my attention enough to keep reading, but the stories didn't appeal to me.
Sheri White
Great short story collection; review to come soon at Xomba.
Bethica
Couldn't hold my interest
David Caldwell
I really didn't know what to expect with this collection of short stories. The title sorta threw me. I wasn't sure if it was a "bad girl" collection or what. Still I decided to give it a try.This collection doesn't have a lot of stories. There are only five stories and a biographical piece that explains a little about how the stories originated. There was one story that stood out for me and none that were really bad. Overall, the stories were middle of the road on my liking them scale.

The good s
Laura Thomas
It has been an experience to read Women and Other Monsters by Bernard Schaffer. This collection contains lots of darkness and cruelty, a good dose of satire and some surprising tenderness. Each story evokes different and sometimes conflicting emotions.

Room Service – A down and out recovering addict takes revenge on the vampire who killed his girlfriend.

A dark, vengeful story with a make you grin ending. No sparkly vampires here.

The Reluctant Death – No matter how many times Clarissa dies, a supe
Misty Baker
I have never been a big fan of reviewing short stories, that doesn’t keep me from excepting them of course (cause I do enjoy READING them) but I find them difficult to review. Why? Because with the changing of plots comes the changing of emotions, and if my mind (as muddled as it already is) is forced to become a quick-change artist, then my review must mimic it, (or suffer the consequences.)

For example, when I first started Bernard Schaffer’s “Women and Other Monsters” I didn’t like it. I felt
Mike McNeff
After I read this collection of short stories, I sent a message to the author and told him he had a very interesting mind. That statement accurately sums up the content of this collection. Add the element of a bonafide writing talent and you have a book that any avid reader should explore...and I do mean explore.

These stories are complex, quirky and thought provoking. I read the collection in two nights, because I couldn't stop. Only the need for sleep cut the first night short of finishing. Sc
Tim Williams
Some of the stories are better than others. As a collection it is all over the place for genre and type. Some moments of really good writing, some moments of - - - meh. II think if he can learn to plot out an entire story and move up to novel length work he might have something. I'm rounding up my rating to 4 instead of 3 and giving him the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't be big on recommending this work to others, but I think he may in the future write something I could.
Delta
Apr 17, 2014 Delta marked it as to-read
Recommended to Delta by: BookGorilla.com
Free on Amazon today, 04-17-14.

Anthology: Horror Shorts

Jonna
Women and Other Monsters is a collection of short stories and I was anxious to read this book due to all the 5 star reviews.

I've got to say, the stories were in fact very entertaining as they varied drastically. However, the reason I didn't give this anything more than a 3 star rating is because frankly, as entertaining as the stories were, I got through the book quickly and just kind of felt "eh". None of the stories really captivated me enough to not want to put the book down.

Obviously my tast
Yulande Lindsay
Don't get me wrong, the stories are well written but they are...familiar. Too familiar. I've read them all before, there's nothing new or startling about any of them. Also as a person of African descent, i must admit to feeling sick to death of the Africa-slaves-voodoo presentation. There is much more to Africa than this. Not all of Africa was into voodoo and Africa is not homogenous. If yo must write about the continent, explore it, discover it realise the richness and diversity of its culture ...more
Shawn Weaver
Women and Other Monsters by Bernard Schaffer was an interesting change from the standard line of novels that I read. Not usually one to read short stories, I was impressed by the depth that Bernard got in such a short space. Each story had a unique take. But I do say the stories were way to short. I could see a novel growing from each, and I hope Bernard continues to write such wonderful pieces. I can’t wait to read his next story and I hope it’s soon.
Shawn Weaver, Author, The Dark Caravan
Lynxie
So I wasn't too sure what to expect with this book, but the title intrigued me enough to purchase it and read it.

I enjoyed most of the stories, but wished that they had been developed into something a little longer, it felt like they were just starting to get interesting and then they suddenly stopped. They did close out the story, but I wanted to know more.

Thanks Bernard for an interesting and slightly odd read.
JackieR
This was interesting read. Author is obviously talented. I didn't realize when I picked it up that it was a collection of short stories. I don't generally like short stories because I want to know more! I was definitely left on some of these wanting to know more!!

There were three short stories that I would consider good at best in here. The other stories were mildly entertaining but more filler for the book then actual stories. Like someone was just throwing this together to be done with it. Too bad.
Issa
Equal parts chilling and clever. A highly enjoyable read.
Angela Johnson
Angela Johnson marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Claira
Claira marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Ozlem
Ozlem marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Here Be Monsters: An Anthology of Monster Tales
  • Attic Clowns
  • Tales From Dark Places: The Halloween Collection
  • Devil Inside
  • Glimpses: The Best Short Stories of Rick Hautala
  • The Boy in the Lot
  • Not Before Bed (1st edition)
  • Horror Stories
  • On the Edge of Twilight: 22 Tales to Follow You Home
  • Caged View: A Collection of Urban Fantasy Short Stories (Habitat, #0.5)
  • Gratis: New Beginnings (Gratis Anthologies Book 2)
  • The Adventures of Mr. Maximillian Bacchus and His Travelling Circus
  • To Read or Not to Read
  • Birds of Prey - A Novella of Terror
  • Underneath
  • Four Corners Dark
  • Taken
  • Wild Night Is Calling
Bernard Schaffer is the father of two children. Born and raised in the Philadelphia area, Schaffer's writing career has resulted in a Kindle Top 100 book, multiple international best-sellers, and invitations to lecture on independent writing and publishing. Schaffer is the founder of the Kindle All-Stars, a group that dedicates its profits to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. ...more
More about Bernard Schaffer...
Superbia Whitechapel: The Final Stand Of Sherlock Holmes Guns of Seneca 6 (Guns of Seneca 6, #1) Superbia 2 Way of the Warrior (Superbia, Nonfiction)