Start by marking “600 Black Spots” as Want to Read:
600 Black Spots

600 Black Spots

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Following the amazing success of One Red Dot and Blue 2, David Carter has done it again! He's back with 600 Black Spots, his most clever scavenger hunt pop-up yet. Readers can spend countless hours of fun searching for the black spots throughout the pages--but be careful! Tricks and surprises abound in this endlessly entertaining, keep-you-on-the-spot book!
Novelty Book, 20 pages
Published September 25th 2007 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about 600 Black Spots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 600 Black Spots

SophiaW CLC
An amazing example of what you can do with paper.
Cheryl Wright
1. Genre: Pop-up book
2. Summary: Each page in this unique three-dimensional book is full of entertainment. Black dots of different sizes pop out with each turn of a page.
3. Critique:
(a) Illustrations
(b) The best feature of this playful book is the arrangement and shape of the images. Readers are challenged to find all 600 black spots within the paper sculptures by pulling, lifting, turning, and unfolding. This abstract children’s book is full of movement.
(c) For example, several pages into
Jill
This is a great hit in storytime--lots of oohs and ahs every time the page is turned. Lots of discussion about what each shape is. The preschoolers like to be "right" and sometimes go back and forth because their ideas are different. That's when I tell them that with art like that, everybody's idea can be right, because it just depends on what each person sees.
John
Remarkable work. Open it up and be gobsmacked.

I do like the Sabuda/Reinhart popups (well, except that they seem to be spending more time on designing the paper effects than in actually finishing the drawing and coloring of the figures lately), but this takes paper engineering in a different direction. It's really a series of abstracts, vaguely linked to music or some artist or a visual concept of some sort. For children? Anybody's guess--I'd say: for anyone who is inclined to nourish an emotiona
Andrea
This artistically modern pop-up book makes for a great addition to my coffee table.
Elizabeth
Awesome book. Pop up - very complicated. Won't last long at the library.
Nina
'600 Black Spots' is a brilliant accompaniment to 'One Red Dot'. You really should own both. I don't say this very often, but here goes.... '600 Black Spots' is MIND-BLOWING! Brace yourself before opening this book. Be prepared for an avalanche of black spots of all different sizes, dimensions, platforms, and swirls. You'll see black spots fan out, zig zag and dart at you as you 'oohh', 'aawwww', 'wowwww', and 'yeah!', with every turn of the page. I can't say this enough, David A. Carter is a ma ...more
Robin
Cool abstract pop-ups
Cheryl
600 Black Spots is not your average concept book....in fact it's maybe best described as a concept book for modern art fiends. This pop-up book engages the mind with colorful, three-dimensional paper creations -- all of which include black spots -- of course! The fragility of the book doesn't recommend it to the younger audiences.

Concept Book; 2007; New York Times Best Illustrated
Miri
Pop-ups are always cool, and there were some fun colors in this one, but I just didn't get it. I felt like there was something I was supposed to be able to see, but couldn't. It just looked like randomly cut paper with black dots on it (and maybe that's what it was supposed to be... I don't know).
Jessica
My students LOVED this book. On every page there's a new abstract sculpture. They had a blast naming each page, swing set, fan, and other titles. The colors are striking and although it does not have many words, I think that this book is amazingly interactive for kids of all ages.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
An amazing popup book. Fun for adults and for kids. The book is worthwhile for the very first page alone. Incredible. I'm not sure how it would stand up to too much love from the preschool age group though.
Gphatty
Great gift book. Beautiful, creative pop-up book. Unexpected abstract art practically explodes off the page. But not for very small children. At least 5 yrs or older.
Nakitah
Each page contains an original piece of art work that challenges the reader to find the black spots. This can help students to focus on the pictures, plus, it si fun.
Amanda
Fun, but all I can say is Thank God my 4 yr old didn't make me count all 600 spots, because knowing how into numbers he is, I would've expected that from him!
Pier
David A. Carter is a masterful pop-up book artist. My 6 yr. old is obsessed with them, but they're beautiful and interesting for all ages.
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
It's so much fun to "play with" -- and there are quite a few little puzzles to solve. A highly enjoyable book.
Emily Stueven
Creative, fun, surprising--indeed, it is a book for curious children of all ages.
Kerstin Olcott
A pop-up book so beautiful I don't want my kids to touch it.
Molly
I could sit and move the grasses page ALL DAY LONG!
Kathy
Aug 01, 2013 Kathy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathy by: Gift from Mom
The kids open this book whenever they see it.
M
Coolest. Pop-up book. EVER.
Emily
Feb 07, 2009 Emily marked it as to-read
another modern art kids book
Kelly
Judy
Judy added it
Jan 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
One Red Dot: A Pop-Up Book for Children of All Ages Love Bugs How Many Bugs in a Box?: A Pop Up Counting Book Easter Bugs Yellow Square