Start by marking “Dawn of the Dead” as Want to Read:
Dawn of the Dead

Dawn of the Dead

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  469 ratings  ·  36 reviews
In 1978, on the heels of The Night of the Living Dead, George Romero returned with an eye-popping sequel, Dawn of the Dead, which tore its way onto movie screens across the country and terrified an entire generation. Shortly thereafter, Romero, along with author Susanna Sparrow, wrote a novel based on the movie, which extended the undeads’ reach even further.

In 2004, accla
Published November 8th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published August 13th 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Dawn of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dawn of the Dead

Star Trek II by Vonda N. McIntyreStar Wars, Episode IV by George LucasStar Wars, Episode V by Donald F. GlutStar Wars, Episode VI by James KahnClash of the Titans by Alan Dean Foster
Novelizations
137th out of 146 books — 26 voters
Star Wars, Episode V by Donald F. GlutBatman Forever by Peter DavidStar Trek I by Gene RoddenberryThe Dark Knight by Dennis O'NeilTotal Recall by Piers Anthony
Best Novelizations
95th out of 124 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Chrissy
I did not enjoy the writing style of this book... this is one instance where I wish I just watched the movie instead because I feel like I would have gotten the same experience without investing as much time.
The book was tough to follow - I had to reread several passages because it transitioned from one scene to the next without any warning. There were occasionally breaks in the page to indicate a new scene within a chapter, but they were random and inconsistent.
The story was good, and it was qu
Craig Allen
I'm going with 2.5-3.0 stars for this one. The thing is, you have to remind yourself this is was written a little after 1978 AND after the movie was out. So it's sort of like an adaptation of the movie, except it has parts the movie doesn't have. So with 2013 eyes, the zombies are kind of boring. They aren't really ever a threat, so it's hard to really care. The lead characters are just okay. The action scenes are even boring and poorly written. And I don't mean grammar really, I mean confusing ...more
Martin Belcher
In my opinion George A Romero is the "Grandfather" of Zombie fiction and of course films. Dawn of the Dead was the first Zombie film I watched probably around the early 1980's on VHS tape from a local video shop just before Margaret Thatcher's government of the time decided to ban what were dubbed "video nasties" and included the masterpiece that is Dawn of the Dead. I have watched the film many times since it was "allowed" an 18 certificate in Britain around the early 1990's, it has and always ...more
Rebecca McNutt
The only way to really get the full meaning and quality of Romero's Dawn of the Dead is to watch the original unedited version of the film from 1978, without its unnecessary 3D additives and remastering. This book just doesn't cut it. It was boring, difficult to follow and seemed to drag on in parts where it shouldn't have. Kind of sad, because Romero is one of the best horror writers/directors out there.
Sarah Churchill
I'm officially calling DNF on this. I've tried all month, but every time I pick it up it feels like a punishment.

Like I said before, this should be PERFECT for me. I love zombies. The movie is a classic. It has a foreword by Simon Pegg! To be fair the foreword was fine. The rest was just badly written.

I was bored, I just wanted it to end, and two thirds of the way through I hated pretty much every character. I'm so disappointed :(
William
This was a really fast read for me mostly because i have seen the awesome movie 100 million times, (rough estimate. lol)there is a few differences but nothing to add to the story. never the less i still liked it and recommend it to the die hard Romero fans. If you have never seen the movie, the original... read it then watch the movie.
Caridad cruz
Mar 14, 2012 Caridad cruz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ANYONE WHO IS A REAL ZOMBIE LOVER!!
Recommended to Caridad by: GOODREADS
AWESOME!! TOTALLY AWESOME!! ALMOST LIKE THE MOVIE, THE OLD VERSION OF DAWN OF THE DEAD WITH A MUCH BETTER ENDING!! LOVED IT!!
Melissa
I loved it! It added much needed character development to the movie.
Lainy
Time Taken To Read - less than 1 day

Blurb From Amazon

When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.

George A. Romero's iconic film and novel terrified generations. Now Dawn of the Dead is back to terrify once more. The world is being devastated by zombies. No one knows how far they have spread, or how to stop them. And as the living fight to save themselves, society collapses. Four people escape the chaos of downtown Philadelphia and find shelter in a shopping mall. As the surv
Zoe Blinko
May 28, 2013 Zoe Blinko rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Molly Savill
In true horror style, I'll try to keep this short and sweet. I felt it is only natural that whilst everyone seems to be on zombie steroids, what with the Walking Dead and the forthcoming release of World War Z, to start at the birthplace of the living dead genres.

Expectations rise with Simon Pegg's introduction; the shopping mall idea sounds as though the filmmakers really went to town for their first zombie themed film. Somehow though, the novel, in my point of view, falls short of the praising
Alex
when i first picked this book up i didnt think of the movie version till i was two chapters in , so i was worried that the book was going to be bad because it was a adaptation from the film , BUT after looking throught other peoples reviews i have learnt that the book was written in 1957 but published after the movie, FEW . Now that made me a lot happier because i do not like reading film to book adaptations. With that said there ARE some points in the book that led me to believe, while i was re ...more
Beau Johnston
It's a great read for a lazy Sunday afternoon. The zombies are..... well, they're zombies. Slow, methodical and relentless. If you kill one; there's always plenty more to take their place. I'm a huge fan of Romero's zombies, instead of this new generation of gold-medal wining parkour experts that Hollywood insists on presenting to us. (Is there something about dying that turns people into elite athletes, that I'm currently unaware of?)

Eliza
I love the zombie genre, and, even though I may face the wrath of zombie purists out there, I don't really like Romero's films. I picked up this book in the hopes that it would be better and less cheesy than the movie because it was in novel form but I was left disappointed by the writing and the story. Perhaps I would have liked it better if the writing had been a little more organized.

If you liked the movie, you'll probably enjoy this because it pretty much just rehashes every scene in the fil
Natalie Armitage
From an iconic zombie movie, you have to remember that this was written in the 70's and is as cheesey as the film. Which is what we loved in the first place. But being a fan of the zombie genre, I have to admit that although this is a classic, it is badly written and hard to like the characters. Maybe it is because reading many other zombie books and watching many other zombie films that have followed this, I can say this is a bit plops and boring compared to the others. But I still appreciate t ...more
Megan Winston
I wanted to enjoy this book so much more than I did. The writing felt disjointed and didn't flow well. None of the characters endeared themselves to me, and they weren't well written. I enjoy a good zombie story, and this was better than some and worse than others. Overall, just 3/5 stars and I think that's being generous. I would recommend only if you had nothing better to read.
Helen
Three stars is being generous because the writing is bad ... there's too much unannounced flitting from scene-to-scene, I had to re-read parts to make sure I was following who was doing/saying what, but it is a genre classic, so it gets an extra star, but there's far better zombie fiction around these days.
Bill Hassall
Eh, ok book. It's exactly the same as the movie. And the movie has gore. If I hadn't seen the movie first I think I might have liked it more. Basically it seems like the author watched the movie and then wrote word for word what happened. Worth your time only if you love these movies
Zach Klinefelter
This is a fascinating companion to the classic film. There are lots of interesting little detours from the final film, and I really liked how the psychology of the characters was portrayed. Absolutely required reading for anyone who considers themselves a Romero junkie.
Todd Charlton
Disappointing. Reads like a cheap novelization, which I guess it is. The language is laborious. If I had to read the phrase; "With all the strength he could muster" one more time.... As a novelist George Romero makes a great screenwriter/filmmaker.
Steven
When films are made from books, the book is always better, in this case the book was made from the film and the film was better. That being said this was still an enjoyable read and I would recommend it to anybody who has or hasn't seen the film.
Jason
Doesn't really add much to the film, except for the ending. However the film is so good, if like me you love Romero, you just have to read it.
Louise Ratcliff
Really well written enjoyable zombiefest , was exactly what it said on the tin , i highly recommend this for any zombie lovers out there !!
Emily
Really didn't like this book. It only seemed to get interesting at the end, it felt like the book ended before it had even begun!
Lehanne
Absolutely love this book, read it within 2 days, and would quite happily read it over and over, my favourite book!
Lauren
For its time, an epic story. Against the 2013 competition? Missing a lot of depth, emotional connection and detail.
Nicolas
this book is very good because the zombies in this book is like in real life and also it is so scary
Crystal
I had to give up on this one...the editing was terrible, and it made if too frustrating to read...
Staci Johnson
Read this and Night of the Living Dead - I need the third installment by George Romero - any ideas?
Lavinia
A truly legendary story that highlights amongst all the fantasism, mankinds biggest flaw. Greed.
Gemsy
Braaaaaaaaaaaaains. I haven't actually seen the movie, and now I want to.
  • Zombies: A Field Guide to the Walking Dead
  • Zombie Movies: The Ultimate Guide
  • The War of the Worlds: H.G. Wells's Classic Plus Blood, Guts and Zombies
  • Book of the Dead: The Complete History of Zombie Movies: The Complete History of Zombie Cinema
  • Night Of The Living Dead
  • The Mammoth Book of Zombies
  • Down the Road
  • Zombies for Zombies: Advice and Etiquette for the Living Dead
  • New Zed Order: Survive
  • Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?
  • Zombies: Encounters with the Hungry Dead
  • It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Zombies: A Book of Zombie Christmas Carols
  • Empire: A Zombie Novel
  • The Zen of Zombie: Better Living Through the Undead
  • Every Sigh, the End
  • Zombies: A Record of the Year of Infection: Field Notes by Dr. Robert Twombly
  • The Zombies of Lake Woebegotten
  • Twilight of the Dead
George Andrew Romero is an American film director, screenwriter and editor, best known for his gruesome and satirical horror films about a hypothetical zombie apocalypse, beginning with Night of the Living Dead (1968). He is nicknamed "Godfather of all Zombies."
More about George A. Romero...
Martin Night of the living dead: the beginning Géneros DC: Toe Tags The Living Dead: The Beginning Night of the Living Dead Graphic Novel

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.” 24 likes