Het tweede levenslicht

Het tweede levenslicht (Inspector Wexford #3)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  862 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Inspecteur Wexford ontvangt een anonieme brief waarin wordt beweerd dat 'Ann' is vermoord. Niet veel later blijkt dat er een vrouw met dezelfde naam, de zuster van een warrige kunstschilder, is verdwenen. De enige aanwijzing die de inspecteur heeft, is een gouden aansteker met de inscriptie 'voor Ann, mijn tweede levenslicht'.
189 pages
Published (first published 1967)

Linda
Today Ruth Rendell is well known as a writer of thrillers with a fair amount of psychological tension in them. Wolf to the Slaughter is one of her earlier Inspector Wexford novels, and, while she's a competent writer and Wolf is worth reading, it lacks the edge that characterizes most of her later works. Wolf is police procedural focusing on a suspected murder, but with no body, Wexford and Burden are forced to start with no hard evidence, relying on their intuitions. A wealthy young woman fails...more
Rebecca Burke
When I am absolutely in the mood to be gripped and entertained, I usually can rely on a mystery by Ruth Rendell or her pseudonym Barbara Vine to do the job.

So I was disappointed by this novel in the Inspector Wexford series. The narrative simply never takes flight. Perhaps one of its flaws is the lack of a dead body in the beginning. This is one of the oldest "contracts" in the mystery genre, and for good reason: a corpse sets the stakes high and charges up your curiosity. Your mind starts to t...more
E M
à chacun son goût

I chanced on this book on my local library's "new books" shelves not long after its publication. It would be an understatement to say I was astonished. "Wolf to the Slaughter" remains my favorite Rendell book to this day, and I own and have re-read every one of them, several more than once. Those looking for traditional police procedurals can try the late Ed McBain's 87th Precinct series. Fans of the-end-justifies-the-means school of law enforcement have Michael Connelly's Harr...more
Damaskcat
Anita – sister of Rupert Margolis – has disappeared. His main concern seems to be that she has left him to do all the housework and he wonders if the police can point him in the direction of some domestic help. Once Wexford and his colleagues have disabused him of this idea they are still left with a niggling feeling that there just might be something in it of interest to them.

This is a well written mystery with lots of interweaving strands which may or may not be connected to the original myste...more
Pvw
I tried ten times to get into this, but it just wouldn't work. Rendell wanted to give the investigating team some personality by adding weird personal ambitions, arrogance and romantic lust. But just as I couldn't get interested in the murdered people and the suspects, the plot line of the policemen was even more boring.

To be honest, I couldn't finish the book, so this review isn't representative. The only thing I can say is that I often read pages automatically, only to find out after after a f...more
Joy
The sister of artist Rupert Margolis has disappeared, probably with some man or other, it is thought at first. Then a big, unexplained patch of blood is found in a hire-by-the-hour room, after an amorous pair was seen staggering out of the same house. Anita Margolis appears to have been murdered by a Geoff Smith. But the policeman on the case has fallen hard for a young girl near the police station, and his powers of observation have deserted him.

The key to the mystery is identity -- who was doi...more
Carol
There's no body - and I mean for the majority of the book which is unusual for a murder mystery. But clearly someone has been killed, nothing else could leave that large a blood stain on the carpet of a rented room.

The ending caught me off-guard. I didn't see the twist coming, even though I certainly should have. There were enough clues, but I was looking at things the wrong way.

You can see my whole review at my blog, Carol's Notebook.
Hal
Another excellent novel by Ruth Rendell. I am sorry it took me so many years discover this writer. I consider this book to be literary fiction of the highest quality. Yes, there is a murder, but the story really is about character development. Plenty of twists and turns in the plot with a surprise ending.

One reason that Rendell stands out in this genre is that her characters come across as real people, not the stick figures who populate so many cozies. She writes tightly. Very few extraneous wor...more
Allan Nail
Laila
Excellent. A slow starter, but once I got into the subtle rhythm of British detective banter, I really enjoyed it. There's a missing woman, but no body, and lots of conflicting stories. I also like the time period - this was written in the 1960's when the young "mods" are coming into fashion, irritating the older squares - societal upheaval. I'm eager to read more in the series.
Jill Hutchinson
Another of the Wexford series by one of my favorite British mystery writers. In this short tale, a local wealthy party girl disappears, her sports car and fur coat are found by the road and it looks like foul play. Wexford and his team start digging for clues which include some pretty shady local characters' activities. One of his new team members, Detective Drayton, who is assigned to keep an eye on the daughter of a local fence who could be involved, suddenly finds himself falling in love with...more
Cathy
I have recently become a fan of Ruth Rendell. Again, this one is complex with interesting twists and turns and an ending you really didn't see coming. She's an interesting mix of a traditional British mystery and something far more contemporary. And she manages to accomplish all this without a shot being fired.
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in February 2002.

When a woman goes missing and the Kingsmarkham police receive an anonymous note alleging that she was murdered, Wexford and Burden launch an investigation into the seedier side of English market town Kingsmarkham. (Burden feels, with his conservative outlook, that an unmarried woman who sleeps around should expect trouble.) A human side to the story is provided by the romance which develops between one of their junior subordinates, hitherto s...more
Pam Kennedy
Feb 22, 2014 Pam Kennedy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Just bought from the bookstore in Lyndon, Green Mountain Books and Prints. It is a compact paperback and I bought it to keep in my bag so I will have something to read when I am out and about.
Pepstrick
Mar 22, 2010 Pepstrick is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Ruth Rendell is a superb writer, and how she has managed to produce so many psychological mystery novels in her lifetime of such high quality is a mystery in itself. This is an older one, from 1967, that I picked up in a used book store along with Sins of the Father, the one that just preceded it. Both are set in Sussex, the bailiwick of Chief Inspector Reginal Wexford and his Deputy Inspector, Michael Burden. These earlier books focused more on the criminals than on the police, but they are Dic...more
Meredith
Ruth Rendell is one of my very favorite writers, so I have to say that this isn't one of her best books. She is a very prolific writer. If you're only going to read one or two of her books, this shouldn't be it. I am not saying that this is a bad book, because I enjoyed it. I always enjoy her books. It's a decent Inspector Wexford book. The plot is a little convoluted and somewhat of an anti-climax. However, Rendell's writing is excellent, as usual; her descriptions of each character and of ever...more
Jim
I found this terribly dated and pedestrian. The plot, characters and dialog were "clunky" and stilted. For me, it was the literary equivalent of those black and white films which the critics sometimes give high ratings but which are almost unwatchable as present-day entertainment.

I had to skip-read the last 50 or so pages, not because I wanted to know what was going to happen, but just because I'd invested a day of reading and I didn't want to consign it to the "abandoned" book shelf.

I didn't e...more
Kristen
In the third installment of the Wexford murder mystery, Wolf to the Slaughter, Wexford and Burden on another complicated murder case. When a secret hotel room becomes the perfect hot bed for three uninterrupted hours of making love, it ended up to be a murder scene for a man who was stabbed in his back. Blood marked the scene, but his body disappeared form the hotel room. They're later on the trail of a missing woman who was last seen in the same room and disappeared with a stash of cash. The re...more
Books-fly-to-me
Is the term psychological thriler posh for manipulative literary devices?
Rosalie

I had a hard time getting into this book and when I finally did I realized I had missed some the earlier back ground because it just was too slow or uninteresting. It was an ok read, but not something I would recommend. I have a thing about not quitting reading a book, but if I didn't, I wouldn't of finished. Maybe I was just too tired when I was reading it and kept falling asleep. I did become interested in the last quarter of the book.
Jason Shaffner
Ugh -- this was a tough one to slog through. Not a likable character in the bunch -- the detectives are especially unpleasant: judgmental, misanthropic, borderline sociopathic assholes. There is almost no redeeming moment in this entire book.
This is the third Wexford, and I've certainly got Rendell's pattern. Wexford is there and important, but the other, satellite, characters are primarily responsible for telling the story. It makes for a book that is both fresh and secure at the same time, which I quite like. The story itself was interesting and had a twisty ending that was well done. I'm looking forward to listening to more of these.
Sammiles
I liked that there seemed to be a couple of stories at the same time, and didnt appear to be over complicated. Its almost like watching the tv programme where you guess who dunnit. I actually also found myself trying to guess and there was a point in the story where i went back to the beginning because i had linkrd parts of the story together. An enjoyable read and look forward to the next one.
Jennie
Wexford is working with Burden and a younger man named Layton on a murder. All they have is a blood-soaked carpet and a missing woman. Layton becomes involved with a girl who seems to have information, but perhaps there's more to that story. Hard to read this and listen to The Vault in the car, as I got murders and green/chartreuse cars mixed up. Good one with a satisfying twist at the end.
Donna
Wolf to the Slaughter is one of the earlier Insp. Wexford novels. Written in 1967 it does show some of the typical problems of dated attitudes and police techniques still it was a complex mystery with twists, turns, and surprises and a look back at the 60s. Rendell went on to write 20 more books in this series taking Insp. Wexford through his career to retirement.
Sara
Truly one of Rendell's best. The interweaving of past and present and the variety of characters who inhabit Kingsmarkham and its neighboring villages is especially skillful, but the real delight of this one is the story of Drayton, the brownnosing, calculating police officer who is headed for the top of his profession until...
I'd give it 4.5 stars if I could...
Annthelibrarian
Anita Margolis has disappeared, and her brother, Rupert is worried. There is no body, but clues abound, and Chief Inspector Wexford and two of his assistants are on the case. This is either the second or third (in a series of now 24) Wexford novel, and although written in 1967, it’s a classic detective story with a beautiful ending.
Kyrie
I had a difficult time keeping the characters straight. Also, Wexford seemed less of a central character than a catalyst in this story. Not my favorite Rendell book. I had a hard enough time trying to figure out why the murder was committed without throwing in whether or not a murder was actually committed.
Mary
The second of the Wexford series. Again, what you think you know may not coincide with what actually is! I think this might be a good critical reading book...the first section must almost be re-read at the end of the book in order to understand just what the author actually wrote and what the reader assumes.
  • House of Stairs, the
  • Bloodhounds (Peter Diamond, #4)
  • The Wood Beyond (Dalziel & Pascoe, #15)
  • Glass Devil (Inspector Huss #4)
  • Henrietta Who? (Inspector Sloan #2)
  • The Jewel That Was Ours (Inspector Morse, #9)
  • Kissed a Sad Goodbye (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #6)
Ruth Barbara Rendell, Baroness Rendell of Babergh, CBE, who also writes under the pseudonym Barbara Vine, is an acclaimed English crime writer, known for her many psychological thrillers and murder mysteries.
More about Ruth Rendell...
From Doon With Death (Inspector Wexford, #1) A Judgement in Stone The Babes in the Wood (Inspector Wexford, #19) A Sight for Sore Eyes Kissing the Gunner's Daughter (Inspector Wexford, #15)