Start by marking “Emotional Currency: A Woman's Guide to Building a Healthy Relationship with Money” as Want to Read:

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  59 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Every day, women face new challenges that come with having control over, and responsibility for, their financial lives. Sometimes exciting, sometimes frightening, these issues always have an emotional side. Author and psychotherapist Dr. Kate Levinson offers fresh approaches to navigating the astonishing range of beliefs about the role of money in our lives, coming to term ...more
Published April 12th 2011 by Celestial Arts (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Emotional Currency, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emotional Currency

Kate Woods Walker
Although this book will likely be of use to many women, it's mostly just a long personal chat interspersed with magazine-style filler. Throughout the first section, I found myself always in anticipation of some pithy insight or rockem-sockem financial wisdom that never came. What I kept reading, over and over, were different ways to say "People have emotional reactions to money."

Most useful were the author's suggested questions for those undertaking the journey to monetary maturity. Give these s
Laura Hughes
Let's establish that I'm totally on board with some of the fundamental ideas of this book:

* People are more influenced by emotions than they realize when making decisions about how and how much to spend and save

* Often people's understanding of money is shaped more by their family and upbringing than their current situation

* Understanding your emotional relationship to money can help you overcome your biases and learn to make more productive financial decisions

* Women are disproportionally hur
Jennifer Campaniolo
This is a great book for women who have money issues but don't know why. Levinson, who teaches Emotional Currency classes and is also a psychotherapist with a private practice, leads readers through the steps to self-discovery and a better awareness of what emotions/memories lie beneath our excessive frugality or spendthrift habits. She also is candid in sharing her own money story--a mother who indulged her and a tightwad father.

I didn't find very much in the book that was new to me because I'
Autumn Blues Reviews
Mar 28, 2011 Autumn Blues Reviews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Change the way you perceive money and it's sensations. Levinson gives it to you straight and detailed to help you achieve your goals

Emotional Currency is one of those books that makes you think; I wish I had this book years ago. A book I certainly needed when as a young adult I got a hold of that first credit card. Levinson explains how for centuries our society shut out the female from building any kind of relationship with money. Causing woman to be left in the dark when it came to their hous
K2 -----
Nov 11, 2011 K2 ----- rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heard this author speak in a marvelous interview http://www.kuow.org/program.php?id=23977 that compelled me to read her book. I made cds of the interview and handed them out to family members and friends as I was so impressed by her ability to speak the truth about a topic women rarely speak about and should.

I am mentoring a young woman, in financial literacy, and we had been talking about how in our culture it is more taboo to speak of financial things---that it is more likely we would talk
Deb
Mar 08, 2012 Deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Towards a richer life*

Just as Geneen Roth has shown how our relationships with food serve as a microcosm and mirror for our relationships with self and others, Kate Levinson shares similar findings for women's relationships with money. The way we are with money reflects the way we are with life. Based on this powerful realization, Kate's _Emotional Currency_ offers a guide for achieving a richer life by creating a healthy relationship with money.

Far exceeding a a simple way for currency exchang
Kristen
May 12, 2014 Kristen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I gave up on this book about half way through because it was too touchy-feely for my taste. I'm sure there are people out there who could benefit greatly from this book. If you have emotional baggage tied to money and spending then this book is for you (I'm not judging...we all have emotional baggage about something). But if you are looking for more down to earth advice on spending, budgeting, economics, and investing you should probably skip this title.
Anna
Dec 11, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book itself would have probably got 2 stars from me if it hadn't been for its effect. It's not easy to read and there are lots and lots of empty places that just take your time and attention but bring nothing crucial to the subject in question. Frankly, the better part of it is just plain boring.

But.

I'm giving it 4 stars for the fact that it discusses something so often tabooed and omitted - money, how we deal with it and how much it means (and yes, it does mean much despite all the proverbs
Lenny Husen
I didn't read this entire book but am not marking it "unable to finish".
The problem is that it isn't a book, it is a WORKBOOK. So, if you are an aspiring writer and like journaling, this is totally fine.
The problem is, the whole book is mainly, "Think about the following and write about your memories and feelings associated with the following" and then there is a LONG list of questions, or words.
The few case studies or examples of women with money problems or neuroses are so changed in order t
Katie
Jan 03, 2015 Katie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't exactly what I expected, but even then, for what it was, I didn't like it. I felt like the author spoke down to the reader and dismissed various subjects.
Jeanne Vaver
Sep 23, 2012 Jeanne Vaver rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book is aimed at women, (men also would benefit) by learning, not how to manage money, but how we think about it, and why. I gained much insight into my spending and saving habits, some I want to retain, and some I want to change.
Elisabeth
May 27, 2011 Elisabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very interesting, especially because of the stories of other women that are included. The connection between the way we feel about money and the way we act about money were a surprise to me. Definitely recommend.
Madonna Analla
I borrowed this from the library and it didn't leave an impression on me. It was like a self help book examining your attitudes around money.
Merrill
Oct 15, 2011 Merrill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Includes some useful questions to get you thinking about where your ideas about money came/come from. Quick read, skimmable.
Lillian
Feb 14, 2012 Lillian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great, clear thinking advice on how to come to know your own relationship with money.
Lachelle
Jun 09, 2011 Lachelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Indie publisher's list.
Kristy Crippen
Kristy Crippen marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
megan
megan marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Clarissa
Clarissa rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Latoya
Latoya marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Karen
Karen is currently reading it
Jan 06, 2016
Halley
Halley marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Katy Benway
Katy Benway is currently reading it
Jan 07, 2016
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2015
Mats Sabadisto
Mats Sabadisto marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Hannah Michaelsen
Hannah Michaelsen is currently reading it
Jan 29, 2016
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
2 Book Giveaways End This Week 1 2 Mar 31, 2011 11:43AM
Kate Levinson has been a psychotherapist in the San Francisco Bay Area for 30 years. She holds a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology and is a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. (#MFC 15955). "Emotional Currency: A Womans Guide to Building a Healthy Relationship with Money" is based on her Emotional Currency Workshops. In her private practice she consults with individuals, parents and adult children, ...more
More about Kate Levinson...

“Frustration, despair, angst, anxiety, hurt, grief, unhappiness, envy, jealousy, and all the other painful emotions are catalysts of change in our lives. They motivate us to do things differently, to change our status quo.” 4 likes