Start by marking “Darkhouse (Experiment in Terror, #1)” as Want to Read:
Darkhouse (Experiment in Terror, #1)

Darkhouse (Experiment in Terror #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  8,887 ratings  ·  1,298 reviews
There’s always been something a bit off about Perry Palomino. Though she’s been dealing with a quarter-life crisis and post-college syndrome like any other twentysomething, she’s still not what you would call “ordinary.” For one thing, there’s her past which she likes to pretend never happened, and then there’s the fact that she sees ghosts. Luckily for her, that all comes...more
Paperback, 2nd Edition (Re-Edited), 346 pages
Published March 1st 2012 by Metal Blonde Books (first published May 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Darkhouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkhouse

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesHopeless by Colleen HooverEffortless by S.C. StephensThoughtless by S.C. Stephens
Best Book Boyfriends
95th out of 4,631 books — 17,959 voters
Divergent by Veronica RothCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingGabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard
Best Break Out
45th out of 1,767 books — 4,492 voters

More lists with this book...

Dd

Hello Readers!!

Do you like to watch scary movies with your lights switched off, hugging your pillows to yourself,wrapped up in your favourite blanket??

All the while jumping at every little sound and looking all around you???

If yes,then grab your pillows and blankets and welcome to the Darkhouse......

An EXPERIMENT IN TERROR is about to be conducted!!!

--------------------------------------------------

Now let's meet with them who are conducting it.....

Readers,what would you do if you stumble upo...more
Kat Stark and the headless Ned

So when I love particular reviewers who have a sense of style...I tend to adapt it at times. I've done one for karen and Anne, and here's one for Khanh :)

Wow, I read this book because there's ghost hunters and I don't get a ghost hunt. I get Perry getting all googly-eyed over some dude...probably because of his eyes alone. Anyway, she goes to a party and stumbles across a lighthouse because…
"As much as the reckless side of me felt compelled to explore it, the rational side knew it was probably
Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥

"Amazing. Awesome. Cool. Fantastic. Stupendous. Crazy. Too good to be true."

5 Amazing-Karina-Halle Supernatural Stars

"How come you aren’t afraid?" "Because I find life to be scarier than death."

description

Horror was never more exciting...

A dark, twisted, and gothic read. An Alfred Hitchcock movie scenario. Sadly, he is dead and can't make it another masterpiece. Karina Halle has nothing to envy and with this series she firmly finds her place between the masters of horror and thrillers, amongst my all-tim...more
Karina Halle
May 14, 2011 Karina Halle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
You are your own worst critic. With that in mind...

Darkhouse isn't high-brow literature, it's not going to change the world (yet), and yeah, there are one or two typos in the book. But, considering it's the first book in the series, it is what is. A "pilot episode" that introduces two characters, Perry Palomino and Dex Foray, who will vex, challenge and intrigue you from this book onwards. Darkhouse has some tense, creepy moments - not only with regards to the supernatural (including a "dead" li...more
Litchick (aka Navessa Allen)

Well, fuck.

I have no idea how I feel about this so I'm just going to leave it at three stars. Do I like Perry? Not sure. I can’t tell if I think she’s a delightful misfit and a welcome change from the usual speshul snowflake, or if she’s just a petty, judgmental bitch with an infuriating lack of self-esteem. I went back and forth with her throughout the whole frigging book.

And Dex? Is he interesting and complex? Or a complete asshole? I couldn’t make heads or tails of him. And what the fuck wa...more
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Well, shit, son. If there was a moment that determined the course of my future, I'm pretty sure this was it.

Apparently, Experiment in Terror has quite the cult following that I'm only just now finding out about. As usual, I am late to the party. My invitation MUST HAVE GOTTEN LOST IN THE MAIL. Thanks, friends.

3.5 stars for a promising start to this series. I sense potential. I keep hearing that it only gets better from here on out, so I will definitely be picking up the next book soon. BONUS...more
Pavlina loves Dex ❤❤
description

I didn’t know what to expect with this book,I have never read anything like that before but since it was highly rated by a lot of people, I thought I would give it a shot!I wasn’t disappointed!This book was amazing!!!!!

Perry Palomino's life hasn't turned out quite the way she had planned. At 22-years old she lives with her parents who don't know how to interact with their daughter.She works as a receptionist, and hates it. Her little sister Ada is everything Perry is not blonde,thin and popular....more
David "proud member of Branwen's adventuring party"
By mixing in elements of horror, humor, romance, and action, this Experiment In Terror is a complete success!

Working at a job she can't stand and living with a family who doesn't understand her, Perry Palomino is having trouble finding her place in the world. Maybe that's why she finds herself drawn to other things that don't quite belong in this world as well. Shadowy horrors invade her dreams, and a haunted lighthouse beacons her. When her investigation into the strange lighthouse leads her to...more
Kristin (KC)
*4 Stars!*

A fun and promising start to what appears to be an amazing series!

Although the horror genre may not be a stretch for many, Darkhouse was my introduction into the fictional world of fear. I'd initially been warned from many that this first installation is more of a decent warm-up to an incredible series, so I consequently lowered my expectations a bit. I'm happy to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how immensely I enjoyed this book; it was precisely what I needed to shake up my rea...more
Kristalia
Final rating: ★★★☆/★★★★★

BUDDY READ WITH VILDA ♥♥♥ It was fuuuuuuuun

CHECK OUT MY PARTNER'S IN CRIME aka VILDA'S REVIEW ♥

“We need you to be scared.”
“Why do I have to be? How come you aren’t afraid?”
“Because I find life to be scarier than death,” he replied matter-of-factly."

Hm... I don't know if i expected too much of this book, or if it was something else. I liked it, it was really cool, and it has strong lead character - which is something i appreciated, but i felt that there was somet...more
kristina
A haunted lighthouse

Nightmares

Ghosts?

Perry

Perry had to visit her uncle Al , who owned a lighthouse.
That night her cousins decided to go with some friends on the beach , so they invited Perry and her sister.
Perry got bored and the lighthouse drew her curiosity.
She thought that it would be a great idea to exlpore it now that she had the chance to , because her uncle wouldnt allow anyone to enter the lighthouse.
But weird things happened.....

There she also met DEX

Well, after a few chapters they end...more
Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽
We meet Perry and basically find out that she's had a bit of a rough life. She's talked to imaginary friends, dabbled in drugs and dealt with some bullies. But she has finished college and is trying to make her way in this poor economy. On a weekend trip to her Uncle's, she decides to check out his "haunted" lighthouse and during some strange encounters, she meets Dex.

description

So, it's been killing me to have put these off for so long but I knew from all my friend's reactions that this series would just...more
Duchess Nicole
This book is FREE at Barnes and Noble and Smashwords! Get it, get it!!

I'm not normally much for horror books, but I've recently been trying to loosen my rabid grip on all things romance. Turns out, I truly tend to need it to stay interested. The great thing about that is that even male authors tend to throw a little romance into their plot somewhere. So when I started seeing this series pop up all over my feed, ami...more
Vishous
I am afraid.... I am very afraid.... afraid to write this review... because I have a feeling GR community, that is a big fan of this series, will probably make me suffer by locking me in a room with lighthouse keeper...

I had this feeling too when I was writing a review for KA's book RAID. So many people loved it, and worships the author, that I was terrified to write that it was really nothing special.

I have heard that this series gets better with every following book and that is why I was lite...more
Brittni
4.5 SUPER CREEPY STARS!!!!!!

[image error]

I really loved this book!! It was so good!! I don't normally read scary supernatural books, but I'm glad I took a chance with this one. This book really reminded me of the show "Supernatural" with all the creepy and fascinating elements in the story.

I loved Perry!!! She is just like your average 22 year old trying to figure out her place in the world. I like the fact that the author didn’t make her perfect and she has flaws like every other girl.

At firs...more
Amy (Foxy)
FREE ->http://amzn.to/1jC3zCK
5/30/2014

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**4 Expect the Unexpected stars**

KC had mentioned to me about wanting to read this series a couple months ago but I was too chicken to take the leap of faith. But after a bad run on romance books lately I knew I had to cleanse my palate. After reading the first couple of pages and seeing my hometown mentioned and my alma mater I knew it was going to be okay!!! Plus there is a lot of humor in this book.

Perry and Dex both have the abil...more
♥~♥Geri ~ the HEA junkie ♥~♥
4 creep-tastic stars!

Finally, my first read from Karina Halle, (I'm a late Halle bloomer), and my first read of the Experiment in Terror Series,(obviously). And let me just say, it felt fantastic to finally get to experience what people have been raving about.

All I can say is the hype is definitely warranted. This is just the first book but already I can safely say, I am hooked. I already love Perry. Dex...he's definitely growing on me.

This book had the right amount of creep, mystery, chemis...more
Giselle
Coming highly recommended by so many friends, I couldn't resist from checking out this creeptastic looking series any longer. All you need to convince me, really, is to tell me it has ghosts--and these are not the sweet ghosts you can fall in love with either (which I will never be fond of), these are evil: truly and relentlessly evil.

Having been reading a lot of Young Adult novels, it was a nice change to get a protagonist that's a bit older. At 22 years old, Perry is dealing with an unfulfilli...more
It's just me Shelly B
Dex and Perry...

Two amateur ghost hunters who have lots and lots of secrets.....Some would call them CRAZY but would I.....nah!!

Their reality is some what skewed but I ended up loving these two quirky characters!!!

[image error]

This book started out just kinda "meh" for me. The descriptions were overly wordy and there was barely any dialogue between the main characters. I struggled because I really wanted to like this book, I had heard great things about this series!!!

Well finally, after almost...more
Jen
Jul 18, 2013 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jen by: All of my GR friends who love this series!
"Expect the Unexpected!"

First, I want to say that this book brings to my attention exactly why I love GR. I would have never been aware of this series or author if it weren't for all of my GR buds talking about how awesome this series is, and how they have fallen in love with the mysterious, moody character; Dex Foray. Darkhouse is the first book in the Experiment of Terror series, and as with tons of my fellow readers, I have fallen in love with this series. This is not a romance, (although I...more
Vilda
Buddy Read with Kristalia - check out her review here!

"Dark, brooding and mysterious? Handle with care."

I have to say that Darkhouse definitely was an interesting story! While I wasn't blown away by it, it was definitely a captivating story with some creepy moments! It wasn't quite what I expected, but I still ended up really enjoying it.

I did end up a bit disappointed though, after seeing all the raving reviews and not quite feeling the hype yet. I also had that feeling of when you're aware y...more
Meli Mel *Ty and Zane's Creeper*

*** 4 Creepy Clown Lady Stars***

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Perry-- “How come you aren’t afraid?”
Dex-- “Because I find life to be scarier than death,” he replied matter-of-factly."

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

I would usually not go for a book like this. But, since everyone talks highly of this series, I had to give it a try. I had no idea what to expect, well except for that fact that it was gonna freak me out. I am surprised that I actually enjoyed it alot. It did start off a bit slow. But I instantly felt a kin...more
Holly
5 stars

Every once in a while I stumble across an author that just completely takes me by surprise in a wonderful, squee-inducing way. This time, it was Karina Halle.

I had heard some amazing things about her Experiment in Terror series, and have been meaning to check it out for quite a while. And after only reading the first few pages of Darkhouse, I knew this was something special.

22 yr old Perry Palomino has been haunted by bizarre dreams that have a habit of coming true. While on a weekend ge...more
Catarina
Okay, I’ll be really quick on this review, because I want to jump on this series and since they told the more the series advance, the better it gets... well, I want to read this the fast as I can.
I’m usually not the biggest fan of horror stories (basically because I’m a chicken) but I’ve got to say that I was seriously missing out on this books. Karina Halle is a hell of a horror genius.

description

So Perry is a 22 years old, bored with her life and with no idea what to do. One night, when spending a weeke...more
Fathima
OMG !!!! When i started reading this one , i was'nt sure if this was a 5 star read at all . I'll tell you why , because it started out really slow and somewhat irritating . Well i'm not really sure about the irritating part , must have been the med's i took to get rid of this flu that i've been down with but anywhoo this book was totally not i expected it to be . Its scary , its funny , its adventurous , its got a little steam too building up on the Main Characters - Perry and Dex , in short its...more
Alex
Lil' buddy read with Her Highness La Lionne. :D

Refreshing scary story. Loved everything about it. Felt like I was right there with the characters.

I really love Perry, but I just wish she was tougher. I mean, she faces the supernatural heroically, but when a stupid son of a bitch calls her fat, she bursts into tears and runs away like a little girl. Come on, show some self-respect!

Dex...oh Dex, you're something else entirely! Out of this world. I think you're a supernatural being too. I think yo...more
Lucia
Darkhouse was my first book by Karina Halle and I was pleasantly surprised with her intriguing style of writing. She made me laugh, made me feel scared and created very different, original and interesting characters in this book. I like when authors are able to use the right amount of sarcasm in theirs stories, and Karina Halle definitely knows how to do that. I never watch horror movies but I love reading horror stories. It has been quite a long time since I read some horror so I am very gratef...more
♥ ℒily - The Novel Nerd
Girl meets boy……

Girl liiiiiikes the boy……

Boy is cute and mysterious…..

Girl falls for the boy…..

Fail…. Boy has a girlfriend…..

…..a really hot girlfriend…..

Girl facepalms……

A great first novel of the series ‘Experiment in Terror’!!

I didn’t know what to expect with this book, I have never read anything by Karina Halle before but since it was highly rated by a lot of people, I thought I would give it a shot.

I wasn’t disappointed!

Cue.. Miss Perry Palomino!

A 22year old receptionist, she isn’t sure wher...more
Gabriella *is awesome*
" The shadows, betray you because they belong to me..."-Old Roddry,The lighthouse keeper.
description

This book completely ruined my state of mind...starting with her dark vivid nightmares and ending it by dealing with her twisted fate.Perry becomes a rather strong believer of That kind of dark, where monsters lay under your bed waiting to drag you in an alternative world of frighting and chill reality.

description

With a stranded lighthouse,a dead house keeper,a phycotic lady and a possibly psychotic love interest,thing...more
Kinsey
4 Excited For More Stars!

"Regardless of evil curses, Old Roddy, or Creepy Clown Lady, falling for this man would be the scariest thing of all."

This was a promising start to a series that I wasn't sure I'd like! Although originally afraid that the horror genre would be a bit too much, I was surprisingly sucked into the world of ghosts and a haunted lighthouse, not to mention the quirky cast of Dex Foray and Perry Palomino!

Perry Palomino: She is not your typical heroine. She's insecure and imperf...more
Paranormal Addict...: books like experiment in terror 1 18 Apr 02, 2014 02:05AM
Dex and Perry casting 12 79 Jan 24, 2014 10:57PM
Girls, Guns and G...: Darkhouse (Spoilers) October 2013 BOM 27 33 Oct 20, 2013 12:29PM
  • A Gift of Ghosts (Tassamara #1)
  • Ghosts of Rosewood Asylum
  • Touched (The Marnie Baranuik Files #1)
  • The Deepest Cut (MacKinnon Curse, #1)
  • A Hidden Fire (Elemental Mysteries, #1)
  • The Medium (Emily Chambers Spirit Medium Trilogy #1)
  • Terrorscape (Horrorscape, #3)
  • Hyde (Hyde, #1)
  • The Haunting Season
  • Dollhouse (The Dark Carousel, #1)
  • 44 (44 #1)
  • Anathema (Causal Enchantment, #1)
  • Inhale (Just Breathe, #1)
  • The Soul Mate (The Holy Trinity, #1)
  • A Soul to Steal (The Sanheim Chronicles, #1)
  • Wrong Ways Down (Downside Ghosts, #1.5)
  • Dark Light (Dark Light, #1)
  • The Prophet (Graveyard Queen, #3)
Karina Halle is a former travel writer and rock music journalist and the USA TODAY bestselling author of Love, in English, The Artists Trilogy, Experiment in Terror and other wild and romantic reads. She lives in a 1920's farmhouse on a bucolic island off the coast of British Columbia with her husband and her rescue pup, where she drinks a lot of wine, hikes a lot of trails, and devours a lot of b...more
More about Karina Halle...
Sins & Needles (The Artists Trilogy, #1) Love, in English (LIE, #1) Shooting Scars (The Artists Trilogy, #2) On Every Street (The Artists Trilogy, #0.5) Bold Tricks (The Artists Trilogy, #3)

“Somehow, by dealing with the dead, I had never felt so alive.” 78 likes
“I used to dream big. It seemed like somewhere along the way I had forgotten about that. And gave up.” 48 likes