Start by marking “Conan the Barbarian: The Stories that Inspired the Movie” as Want to Read:
Conan the Barbarian: The Stories that Inspired the Movie

Conan the Barbarian: The Stories that Inspired the Movie

THE CLASSIC STORIES THAT INSPIRED THE BLOCKBUSTER FILM

Conan the Barbarian is one of the greatest fictional heroes ever created—a swordsman who cuts a swath across the lands of the Hyborian Age, annihilating powerful sorcerers, deadly creatures, and whole armies of ruthless foes. Today his name is synonymous with the epic battles of ancient times, but Conan originated in th
Published July 26th 2011 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Conan the Barbarian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conan the Barbarian

Traci
Dec 19, 2012 Traci rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
How many have you heard of Conan? Big barbarian guy with an even bigger sword?

Now how many of you have read Conan? Mmmm...quite a few of you have put down your hands, haven't you?

I remember the first time I read Conan. It was during my reading the classics of fantasy goal. Robert E. Howard (the creator of Conan, you didn't think he just appeared on his own did you?) was on every list I could find. But I kept fighting it. Me? Reading Conan? I laughed. I found new (or old, depending on how you l
Orient
Nov 02, 2016 Orient rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody with a need for rough-tough story
Recommended to Orient by: Evgeny
Thank you Evgeny for such an awesome recommendation to try Conan stories ;)
When I read the title of this book, “Conan the Barbarian: The stories that inspired the movie”, my first thought was, oh man, I hope there won’t be any Arnies lurking, to make me feel nauseous. Well I am glad that there weren’t any! Phew, what a relief.
I found Arnie-Conan movies just awful, because somehow he made Conan seem weaker in feelings and thinking and emphasized his strength more. His Conan seemed just a dumb m
Alan
Mar 23, 2014 Alan rated it really liked it
Conan: the very name suggests raw, primal savagery. This Cimmerian warrior fulfills the fundamental archetype of a hero who wants nothing more than to slay enemies, conquer kingdoms, confront beasts, and enjoy the pleasures of women. The stories capture the mysticism and allure of a place and time beyond all history, venturing into dark and deeply imaginative and territory. Thus, the adventures of Conan the Barbarian are a graphic, uncompromising, hardcore type of pulp fantasy fiction that's ...more
Gabriel Salter
Nov 19, 2014 Gabriel Salter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading Conan is a lot like reading teen fiction: at times you know what you're reading is pretty stupid, then you think to yourself, "What did I expect? This is written for 14-year-olds."

In the same way, Howard wrote his stories for pulp fantasy fans, people who didn't care about story quality (they were buying these stories from magazines after all) as they did about reading something with magic, intense fight scenes, and sex. Women are almost always poorly characterized in these stories (not
Adam
Aug 31, 2012 Adam rated it it was amazing
Totally fuggin' sweet! Conan in text format is mind blowing. Totally fearless, peerless, and of single minded determination. While the Arnie starred films were essential-sick the book is truly "zomfg waaay better than the movies." In the truest sense, not the lame attempt at street cred "i don't watch screens" gobbledegook.

From this collection I specifically read:
The Phoenix on the Sword
The People of the Black Circle
The Tower of the Elephant

Reading thru these certainly hit upon parts from the Ar
Richard
Jun 01, 2012 Richard rated it really liked it
An excellent collection of Howard's earliest work- they capture the primal rawness of the sword and sorcery genre birthed from the bloody claws of Conan himself. Howard provides many rip-roaring tales of adventure and combat, made surprisingly fresh by hints at social commentary on the nature of civilization vs. barbarism, as well as ideas that remain original in today's post-Tolkien fantasy. Within the collection, I would choose "Red Nails" as my favorite piece, as the penultimate tale is full ...more
Stefan
Feb 27, 2015 Stefan rated it really liked it
Some great Conan tales. You cant really go wrong with that.

This edition has the cover art of the 2011 movie remake but don`t hold that against it. Other than the main character, some mention of location, cultures and 1 trow away line regarding the tower of the elephant I don't really see how that movie drew any inspiration from these stories. The original movie was closer to the source material than the new one.

So the tagline "THE CLASSIC STORIES THAT INSPIRED THE BLOCKBUSTER FILM" could have b
Ron Gastgeb
Sep 18, 2012 Ron Gastgeb rated it liked it
Lusty tales of adventure abound in this collection of stories by the late Robert E Howard. Conan the Cimmerian finds himself pitted against evil dragons, vile sorcerers, and a wide assortment of nefarious human adversaries. Overtly, often ridiculously masculine and steeped in racism (the evil men are nearly always black), the tales contained in this volume can be rather off-putting to one of "modern" sensibilities. Nevertheless, there are some grand tales of high adventure hiding here, waiting ...more
John Schneider
Jun 07, 2016 John Schneider rated it really liked it
A rock solid fantasy adventure, the short stories of Conan the Barbarian are still great to read today. Although Conan the Barbarin might never win literary acclaim, the stories of this quick witted barbarian will engage the lover of fantasy. Robert E. Howard deserves praise for creating such a character as Conan - the barbarian smart enough to outwit a wizard but uncivilized enough to care not much for how the wizard was trying to kill him.
Bane Kuntzenstein
Aug 24, 2016 Bane Kuntzenstein rated it really liked it
Good little short read. 4-5 short stories about Conan. They were generally good but I didn't like how disconnected they were. I guess I want more of a novel then disconnected short stories, even if there is one character that binds them all together. Anyway, this is just what I needed after giving up on the Malazan Book of the Fallen series - an enjoyable light, quick and easy read for my brain.
Hans
Oct 23, 2012 Hans rated it liked it
A fun read. Best stories were Tower Of the Elephant and Rogues in the House; the worst stories, which were still pretty good, were Red Nails and Queen of the Black Coast. I would have liked an introduction to explain why these particular stories and why in the order they are presented (which is neither fictionally nor really chronological).
Ken
May 26, 2015 Ken rated it it was amazing
Conan stories are everything that swords and sorcery tales should be; and this book is basically a Best Of. Phoenix on the Sword, People of the Black Circle, Tower of the Elephant, Queen of the Black Coast, and Red Nails are all top-notch; only Rogues In the House is an "average" Conan story, and average Conan is still better than most.
Ahmed Al-Sheikh
Mar 02, 2013 Ahmed Al-Sheikh rated it it was amazing
The funny thing is, while it claims that its the stories that inspired the film, it's also a collection of the best stories to get Conan fans caught up. With tales like "people of the black circle," "red nails," "tower of the elephant," and "queen of the black coast," among others, it's the best collection of Conan tales to take on a trip.
John
Aug 20, 2011 John rated it liked it
Shelves: 1fiction, box3
With the new Conan movie coming out - I saw the book and said what the heck. The book is a classic, the really first fantasy written in the early 1930's. Fantasy is not really my cup o'tea but this is really well written.
Derykm
Feb 04, 2013 Derykm rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Even though this book is comprised of short stories by Robert E. Howard about Conan, I found this book hard to keep me interested.
Melisandre *The Amyrlin Seat*
Melisandre *The Amyrlin Seat* rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Georgina Brandt
Georgina Brandt rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Rusty Knorr
Rusty Knorr rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Rossdavidh
Rossdavidh rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2014
Pablo
Pablo rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Devon Drake
Devon Drake rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2012
James
James rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2014
Avi J
Avi J rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Steven Harbin
Steven Harbin rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2014
Zeno
Zeno rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Deborah Cheramie
Deborah Cheramie rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2015
Chris Flammia
Chris Flammia rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Conan the Barbarian
  • Conan the Barbarian
  • Uprising (Star Wars Rebel Force, #6)
  • Thomas and the Jet Engine (Thomas & Friends: Step Into Reading)
  • Doctor Who: Storm Harvest
  • Pursuit (Star Wars: Boba Fett, #6)
  • Dreams of the Raven (Star Trek #34)
  • Star Trek: Strange New Worlds IV
  • Conan and the Sorcerer
  • Underworld (Star Wars: The Last of the Jedi, #3)
  • Doctor Who: The Ultimate Treasure
  • Doctor Who: Last Man Running
  • 24 Declassified: Vanishing Point
  • Doctor Who: Business Unusual
  • Doctor Who: Dominion
  • Final Diagnosis (Sector General, #10)
  • Very Bad Poetry
  • Harbinger (Star Trek: Vanguard, #1)
Robert Ervin Howard was an American pulp writer of fantasy, horror, historical adventure, boxing, western, and detective fiction. Howard wrote "over three-hundred stories and seven-hundred poems of raw power and unbridled emotion" and is especially noted for his memorable depictions of "a sombre universe of swashbuckling adventure and darkling horror."

He is well known for having created — in the p
More about Robert E. Howard...