Start by marking “Small Medium at Large” as Want to Read:
Small Medium at Large

Small Medium at Large

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  804 Ratings  ·  200 Reviews
After she’s hit by lightning at a wedding, twelve-year-old Lilah Bloom develops a new talent: she can hear dead people. Among them, there’s her overopinionated Bubby Dora; a prissy fashion designer; and an approval-seeking clown who livens up a séance. With Bubby Dora leading the way, these and other sweetly imperfect ghosts haunt Lilah through seventh grade, and help her ...more
Published July 3rd 2012 by Bloomsbury

To ask other readers questions about Small Medium at Large, please sign up.

Britney Divas I enjoyed reading it, funny at parts and is very detailed.
Cinder by Marissa MeyerUnder the Never Sky by Veronica RossiThe Selection by Kiera CassIncarnate by Jodi MeadowsEverneath by Brodi Ashton
2012 YA & MG Debut Authors: The Apocalypsies!
98th out of 271 books — 1,157 voters
Wonder by R.J. PalacioThe One and Only Ivan by Katherine ApplegateThe False Prince by Jennifer A. NielsenKeeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon MessengerThe Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy
Middle Grade Novels of 2012
35th out of 297 books — 667 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa
Oct 19, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This book is a funny, sweet paranormal with a touch of romance, perfect for the YA paranormal lover's little sister.
Erika Marks
Mar 02, 2012 Erika Marks rated it it was amazing
One recently-divorced Dad whose dating prospects are slim to none. A cute boy crush who doesn’t know she exists. And did we mention Know-It-All eight grader Dolly Madison?

Seventh-grader Lilah Bloom thought she already had enough problems.

Then at her mother’s wedding, she’s struck by lightning. But it’s after she wakes up that the real trouble starts. Suddenly Lilah can communicate with ghosts. The good news? Her late Bubby Dora reappears in her life. The bad news? Bubby brings a troupe of often
Gina
Jan 17, 2012 Gina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE by Joanne Levy - (Bloomsbury-7/3/12)

SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE (SMaL) first caught my eye when I was reading through the Publisher's Marketplace New Deals several months ago (the title is just so brilliant!) so I was thrilled when Joanne Levy joined the Class of 2k12 debut authors group. I am the lucky first Class of 2k12 author to read the ARC of SMaL and since I have a 7th grade daughter (like M/C Lilah), I asked my daughter if she would like to read it before I did.

My daughte
Sarvenaz Tash
Mar 12, 2012 Sarvenaz Tash rated it it was amazing
Adorable, quirky and oh-so-funny. This charming middle-grade book is a surefire winner with a premise that lives up to its fabulous title. Not only is its depiction of 12-year-old girl woes spot-on, but the ghosts that haunt (small) medium Lilah are hilariously delightful. I predict many, many readers will simply adore this book (this one already does).
Kate
Jul 03, 2012 Kate rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book (even though my 10-year-old daughter swiped it from me when I was halfway through, so she could read it a second time...it's that kind of book.) The premise is great - middle-school-kid Lilah is struck by lightning and can suddenly hear ghosts, including her dead grandmother and a famous, long-departed fashionista who team up to tkae Lilah bra-shopping. (Best. Scene, Ever.) This book is exactly what it promises to be - warm, wonderful, hilarious, and so much fun. Hig ...more
Philippa Dowding
Oct 28, 2014 Philippa Dowding rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Small Medium at Large, apart from having a clever title and a wonderful premise, is also hilarious and probably the least-scary ghost story ever written for middle graders. Lilah Bloom gets hit by lightning, then she starts to hear people talking to her. Which is fine, except they aren't actually living people. After her brush with death, Lilah can hear ghosts! She starts to have conversations, loud and clear conversations, with her grandmother, her teacher's ex-band mate, a fashion maven, a dea ...more
Jenny Franklin
Apr 20, 2012 Jenny Franklin rated it it was amazing
I thought that Small Medium at Large by Joanne Levy was a very fun book about a 12 year old girl who starts to hear dead people. The book was so well written, when you start be prepared to sit there and read all of it. There were some laugh out loud moments. I think any young girl would love the book and even adults as well, I know I did.The characters we all very well described and it was easy to get pulled into the story.
Rachel
Jun 05, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Such a fun book! I devoured it in a single afternoon, and now I just wish I knew more "middle grade" kids to recommend it to! I can totally see a series out of this... I'd love to hear about Lilah's other escapades with her "voices." Fingers crossed that Levy decides to keep us updated on Lilah....
Prishni
Apr 21, 2014 Prishni rated it did not like it
Small Medium at Large by Joanne Levy was one of the 10 Red Maple fiction picks for 2014. This is a really girly book so in my opinion it shouldn’t have been picked as a Red maple. To enjoy this book you would really have to have an interest for hearing voices or for problems that Lilah Bloom the protagonist is going through.
After the survival of being struck by lightning, 12 year old Lilah Bloom has a new talent; she can hear dead people and surely are they real annoying. She can hear her over
Elizabethd.
Mar 26, 2014 Elizabethd. rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this fun and interesting book very much. What urged me to read it was the title, Small Medium at Large, because I have never heard of such an original name for a book. When I did start reading it, I realized that it was a good book for girls who are about the main character's age, because it helped those young developing girls not to feel ashamed or nervous about having to do something different than usual with their body.
Small Medium at Large was about a 12 year old girl named Lilah
Paige Bradish
Jun 22, 2012 Paige Bradish rated it really liked it
So I just finished Small Medium At Large and after reading the book I finally understand the title! I never really understood them before but now I do! Small Medium At Large is a story about a girl named Lilah who while attending her mothers wedding she gets hit by lighting. When she wakes up in the hospital she starts hearing voices and she's confused because only her parents are in the room but neither of them are speaking. The voice finally reveals itself to us as Lilah's dead grandmother Bub ...more
Kayla Eklund
Jun 23, 2012 Kayla Eklund rated it it was amazing
Small Medium at Large was a funny middle grade novel. After finishing the book, I understand what the title means. I love the humor in the title. Once starting the book, the reader finds the same humor throughout the pages. The book made me laugh quite a bit. I don't think a chapter went by without me at least chuckling. The plot was well written. There weren't any plot holes. The story flowed well from beginning to end. It was entertaining. I stayed up late to finish the book because I wanted t ...more
Kevin Craig
Aug 10, 2012 Kevin Craig rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This review is from my book review blog: http://trythisbookonforsize.blogspot.ca

It has been a while since I read a middle grade novel…at least a few months. My first thoughts on Small Medium at Large were; kid-friendly, a delight to read, fun and funny, well written in a great age-appropriate voice and, well…FUN (It bears repeating).

Lilah Bloom is 12. She comes from a broken family (that term really needs to be refreshed—a lot of families these days are not so much broken, as they are realigned)
Sarah (YA Love)
Review originally posted at Y.A. Love

In all honesty, I’m really picky about middle grade novels. I don’t know if it’s just that I’m a high school English teacher and therefore more interested in young adult novels, or what, but I don’t always like middle grade novels. I have a really difficult time connecting with them and enjoying them, so when I find one that I like I want to spread the word all over the place. I didn’t just like Small Medium at Large by Joanne Levy, I loved it.

Small Medium at
Kiley
Feb 11, 2014 Kiley rated it really liked it
I liked this book because it had points where it was serious but there were also parts that were funny and it's a book that you can enjoy. I liked how she helped the girl out with the fashion show and I think that showed a good side to her personality. I like her friend because she is what every good friend should be. I think this is a really girly book and might turn guys away.
Emily King
May 01, 2014 Emily King rated it really liked it
i thought that this book was reallly good. At the beginning it was kinda boaring but as i kept reading it got pretty good. In this book a girl is hit by lightning. After this she is able to talk to people that have passed including her grandma. when ever anything gets tough or she doesnt know what to do her grrandma is there to help her.
Savannah
Mar 22, 2014 Savannah rated it it was ok
Shelves: red-maple
A simple book about a young girl with young girl issues like dating and fashion who has a big secret. predictable! there really isn't annything new or unexspected in this book, and is sometimes even pianfully boring at times. there was nothing that interested me to keep reading. maybe this book just isn't ot my taste, becuase admititly i don't really like this genre to begin with, but it's still way to predictable. also the main characters seem to have 1 dimentional personalities that give no de ...more
Lauren
Apr 22, 2014 Lauren rated it did not like it
I thought Small Medium at Large was a very cheesy book that was over dramatic and unrealistic. I believe the target audience should be people younger than those who read the red maple category. It was an easy read but not one that I enjoyed.
Pamela
May 11, 2015 Pamela rated it really liked it
Lilah is hit by lightning at her mom's wedding... and that changes everything. Suddenly, she can hear voices from dead people. But don't go thinking this is all some 'Sixth Sense' nonsense... These voices are varied... from a young guy to her grandmother to a former fashion maven and even her crush's dad!

Since Lilah's dad divorced her mom, he's seemed kind of lonely. And it's become her -- and her dead grandmother's -- mission to find him love. After a series of disastrous dates, will he finall
Faith.m
Apr 21, 2014 Faith.m rated it it was ok

For children, at any age divorces can be stressful, sad, and confusing. Instead, for Lilah Bloom, it becomes a mission. Her parents recently just got a divorce, and It sure didn't take long for her mother to find “the one”, again. On the other hand is her dad. Sad, lonely, and lost in a world of isolation. Likewise, lilah wants to help her dad guide his way out of that place, and live a happy life with the help of Bubby Dora,who is Lilah's dead grandmother…Hold up, I forgot to mention; Lilah ca
Ashley
Jan 12, 2016 Ashley rated it really liked it
For a juvenile book, this was actually entertaining. Basically, Liliah gets struck by lightening at her mom's wedding. When she wakes up in the hospital, she can hear the voices of the dead. Sometimes this works in her favor ... and sometimes it doesn't. But let's get real - she's twelve years old. So what really matters in her life? There's Dolly, her bully at school. There's Andy, the boy she likes. There's her dad who hasn't gotten over her mom, even though they're divorced and she's remarrie ...more
Joy Kirr
Sep 26, 2012 Joy Kirr rated it it was amazing
12-year-old Lilah gets struck by lightning at her mom's wedding, and suddenly she can hear dead people's voices in her head! This is a cute, tender, quick read for girls - if you like dances, the thought of hearing dead people (and all the issues that could pose!), and cutesy romances, you'll enjoy this book!
Krista
Jul 11, 2012 Krista rated it it was amazing
Good story. Fast read, done in 4 hours. Book is more for teenagers but I really enjoyed it. I wish I was able to talk to the dead like the main character. I would like to hear more about what happens to the main character as she grows up. Is there another book on the way?
Amy Lin
Jan 07, 2014 Amy Lin rated it liked it
Lynda
Jul 01, 2012 Lynda rated it it was amazing
Amazing MG book, SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE--unique, funny, kid-friendly book with a few twists! Loved the main charater of Lilah--a "real" kid with an amazing gift!
Michelle
Jun 01, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
This book is sweet and fun and super cute. The perfect book for upper elementary-aged girls who want a book with some romance. And ghosts!
Katy Pye
Jul 28, 2014 Katy Pye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Small Medium at Large from the first page. Levy slips the reader into Lilah Bloom's pocket with the first sentence. The writing is warm, inviting, and witty. I wanted to traipse around with her, whatever she got up to. The ghostly sidekicks, guiding Lilah's efforts to resolve problems of the adults around her, touched me at times, made me laugh at others. Lilah's insecurities over her first crush felt oh-so-familiar, even to my long-ago middle-grade memories.

Levy's lively characters, qu
Evie
Jul 21, 2012 Evie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wish-list
Pure awesomeness! Everyone should read it- you'll laugh to tears!!!
Nicholle
Jan 25, 2014 Nicholle rated it it was ok
Shelves: red-maple-2014
I thought this book was ok, it had lots of drama and "girl" problems. I didn't really like it because of the girl stuff no one even in a diary would tell when they went out to buy their first bra. the characters were a little odd which was great, and in the beginning there was lots of humor which I loved but then it got serious and full of drama. I gave it two stars because the story to me was silly or goofy but the author tried to make it serious so to me it didn't quite match. it had a pretty ...more
Eileen
Sep 26, 2014 Eileen rated it liked it
I love the title and I was expecting something a little more along the Halloween idea. Turns out Delilah Bloom is more like a twelve year old Long Island Medium and the story is quirky fun.
Joanne Levy does a nice job of capturing the preteen voice in Small Medium at Large. Although the protagonist, Lilah, is twelve and that is the target audience the language is easily readable by someone younger.
Lilah and especially her friend Alex are preoccupied with an interest in boys which eventually lead
Small Medium at Large--Spoilers 3 7 Dec 04, 2015 07:31PM
  • On the Road to Mr. Mineo's
  • Fake Mustache
  • Circa Now
  • Kepler's Dream
  • The Templeton Twins Have an Idea (Templeton Twins, #1)
  • The Nightmare Factory
  • Above World (Above World, #1)
  • The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy
  • Seeing Cinderella
  • Death by Toilet Paper
Joanne Levy’s love of books began at a very early age. Being the youngest and the only female among four children, and the daughter to voracious readers, she was often left to her own devices and could frequently be found sitting in a quiet corner with her nose in a book.

A survivor of the corporate world, Joanne now works from home, supporting other authors and creating the friends she wishes she
More about Joanne Levy...