Start by marking “Torpedo Juice” as Want to Read:
Torpedo Juice

Torpedo Juice (Serge Storms #7)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  2,045 ratings  ·  88 reviews
The drinks are on us!

Serge A. Storm returns -- and so does Tim Dorsey -- for another hilarious tour of the wacky underside of the Sunshine State. And this time our lovable but maniacal hero is on a mission: Stay off police radar and reinvent himself.

Naturally Serge makes a beeline to the Reinvention Capital of the United States, the Florida Keys, where nobody is who they s
Published 2005 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Torpedo Juice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Torpedo Juice

Elektra
What will DOrsey come up with Next? I am in Love with these books ans Serges memorys of Florida gone by.
Dave
Serge is CrAzY!
Coleman is NuTz!
I read it naked!
Snotchocheez
If you're a Tim Dorsey fan, you probably won't be disappointed by "Torpedo Juice". I am a fan, and I didn't find this one nearly as amusing as some of his other efforts. Like most of his other books, this one's hijinks revolves around Serge Storms, Dorsey's Floridaphile/mass "murderer" ("murderer" clearly is used tongue in cheek, as the people he offs generally deserve their fate). He uses a slightly different style in this one to forward the plot along, with mixed results. He tells the story in ...more
Kara Jorges
Serge is back and funnier than ever when he goes to the Florida Keys to reinvent himself. The motto: nobody in the Keys is who they seem. On a quest to improve himself, Serge goes to a community center full of twelve-step meetings and runs into his old buddy Coleman, whom he thought had been murdered. Coleman is drinking his way through an AA meeting when Serge finds him. Serge inadvertently gains a group of followers, people who are prone to join cults. He starts conducting weekly meetings. He ...more
Alpha
"This novel is a good follow-up from the last and takes place in the Florida Keys where Serge A. Storms goes to reinvent himself and what better way to reinvent oneself than to get married. That is right, this novel is about Serge finally wanting to tie the knot. However, just because he is getting hitched doesn't mean he is settling down. Not with all the slimeballs and other nasty things in Florida that needs to be killed off, it is high-time for Serge to start the killing again.

What I liked a
martin
OK, it's a long, long time since I was a teenage undergrad and that really showed when I was reading this book. The humour is on the Bill and Ted's Bogus whatever level - unfunny to the point of being really, really irritating. Not recommended for anyone whose brain has passed puberty successfully. The plot (such as it is) takes 3/4 of the book to develop anywhere and never much gets beyond a series of farcical, fairly unconnected (until the end) events.

The really sad thing is that this guy can
Karen Syed
When I dove into this story I found myself tumbling in waves of confusion. I'm still not certain what the beginning of the book had to do with anything, but the deeper I went, the more amused I become. Dorsey's characters are lively and indeed addictive. The story itself is a bit awkward, but by the time I got to the end, I was not at all disappointed.

When our leading man, Serge decides he's getting married, the fact that he has no woman in his life is a minor techincality. There are ups and th
Jonah Gibson
My neighbor gave me his copy of Florida Roadkill, Dorsey's first novel and my introduction to literature's most fascinating and engaging spree killer, Serge A. Storms, because he thought it was the kind of thing I'd like. He was right. I've been a fan ever since. (Really it's only been a couple of months, and I've been binge reading the novels in sequence.) I think Torpedo Juice is my favorite so far. Dorsey, through Serge, serves up a smorgasbord of Florida history and fascinating factoids rang ...more
Peter Auber
GIZMO
serge is back and while he is still amusing this isn't up to the standard of some of his previous adventures
Kevin Beck
I couldn't finish this book. I read many, many books each year and a book that I can't finish is extremely rare. This book doesn't have a plot and the characters are totally unlikeable. I wish I could give it 0 stars (totally hated it). If you want zany Florida tales read Carl Hiassen or if you prefer darker stories Randy Wayne White's Doc Ford series. I would read the back of a cereal box before reading this again.
Lindsay
This book is absolutely hilarious! I went into it knowing that it was considered a "guy's book", and I can understand it being labelled that way, just as I can understand how some books are labelled "chick lit". And honestly, its just a good reminder to disregard how a book is marketed and just enjoy it as a reader. This was my first book about Serge, the happy-go-lucky spree killer. Yep, a spree killer. And it had me in absolute stitches at how funny it was! Serge has decided to go down to the ...more
Traummachine
A quote from the book:
To borrow from Firesign Theater, Everything You Know Is Wrong. Because the biggest danger is the people who believe Everything They Know Is Right. That's the key to personal growth: Identify your firmest, most self-comforting beliefs, then beat the living shit out of them and see if they're still standing. The key to stagnation? Worry about other people's beliefs. There's an invisible war of self-interest between the ends of the spectrum, and we're foot soldiers caught in t
Sharon Holford

This guy is certifiable. But so much fun you wish you were there.
His characters are unbelievably lucky but so is every one else in
the story - the cops, the crooks, the killers, the poor (or are they)
Jjudyfl
Who cares where Matt Lauer is? Just keep an eye out for Serge!
In TORPEDO JUICE, Tim Dorsey's Book # 7, the unpredictable serial killer, Serge Storms, heads to Key West.
In this adventure he's a-lookin' for LOVE, and discovers his soul mate. Who knew he was the marrying kind?
ANYwhere Serge and his friend and sidekick, Coleman, are in Florida there is always trouble, but the Keys have twice the limit of quirks & jerks, scams.... and miniature deer???
Many plots, many twists, and many, many laugh
Jeanne
Serge and Coleman are back together again, only this adventure has Serge getting married and finding his match.
Diane
Not my favorite of Tim Dorsey's Serge Storms novels. I read these aloud at night to The Husband, and usually we are excited to get to the end of the novel. The writing at the beginning of the novel just did not start out very strong and the "voice" seemed a bit off, although Torpedo Juice did end pretty strong. At the start of the novel, I was hoping "Narrator" would be Serge's first victim of the book. The highlight of the novel was Serge meeting his soul-mate. Really the book was more like 2.5 ...more
Sandie
Apr 19, 2011 Sandie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Floridians, those that like funny and wacky stories
Recommended to Sandie by: I was already hooked on the series
How does one describe a Tim Dorsey novel? Absurd, zany, wacky, hilarious, insane. There’s a serial killer on the lose, yet Dorsey has a way of taking actual headlines and combining them in such a fashion as to make them hysterically funny and too bizarre to be true.

Dorsey so skillfully weaves together the disparate stories that they actual begin to make sense, which made me begin to doubt my own sanity.

I wouldn’t just put your seat belt on to read this story; I’d put the full racing harness on
Mike
Pretty funny book that was normal Dorsey meandering plotlines that intersect now and again. His Serge Storms character seems to grow here from a general wacko to a serial killer in this one - not sure of the order of Dorsey's works when it comes to Storms, but I'd assume this one was a bit early. While it did make me laugh quite a bit, more of just a breezy quick read than anything. It is set mainly in the Keys, so having familiarity with that area is a plus as his books always make the location ...more
Dan Schwartz
Having read only three books of the series at this point I am going to say this was my favorite one so far (the second one I read being not so great and almost turning me off of the series). This book had moments when I laughed out loud while reading, which is not common for me, and the scenes with the narrator and the Serge cult shine as some of the most genius writing I have stumbled upon. This story was a little more comprehensive than the previous ones, but at the same time was somewhat more ...more
Paul
Mar 30, 2009 Paul rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one.
Recommended to Paul by: the dust jacket.
I got this book because I was in the mood for something humorous, and the book jacket promised that and more. The main thing I learned was not to trust book jackets. This book wasn't so much humorous as sophomoric. The main characters seem like they came out of Animal House, Dumb and Dumber, or a Cheech and Chong movie.

I would not recommend this book, or for that matter this author. I do not intend to read anything else by this author.
Kim
I misplaced this book for a few days, so it took me longer to read this than normally it would. I would have to say that I liked this book in the Serge series the best so far. It still is hard to adjust to the fact that the main character is a serial killer and is somewhat likeable. Serge gets married in the story and has a multitude of complications. This is the only book in the series that I found any humor at all.
Brett
Tim Dorsey can't write enough about Serge Storms for my money. The action in this novel set in the Keys is as insane as the first six, with Serge discovering his old buddy/partner in crime Coleman isn't actually as dead as was thought & his first hilariously bad attempt at being married. Which zany characters from former crime sprees are going to surface next? I don't know, but it'll be great.
Dan
This was good, but I was hoping it would be really good. Funny characters and wacky happenings in the south Florida keys, but certain important parts of the plot were handled very quickly and the resolutions of all of the different plot threads left me wanting them to be wrapped up more. Still, a pleasant diversion if you like the novels of Carl Hiaasen or Dave Barry.
Rebecca Huston
Number seven in the ongoing adventures of Serge A. Storms and his events through Florida, this time in the Keys, what with his sudden urge to marry, miniature deer, a greedy land developer, weird themed weddings, and other such things.

For the longer review, please go here:
Frederick
Sandi
This series is up and down for me and unfortunately this entry was a down. The plotting was pretty scattershot and the whole enterprise seemed like just an excuse for the author to retell all of the strange stories from the Florida Keys that he had been storing up. The one bright spot was the narration of the audio by George Wilson.
Dominic Salvucci
Overall, this is about a 3.75 out of 5. Tim Dorsey takes Serge on a bit of a different tale...it works, but it is different. As usual there are parts that make you snort and laugh until you cry, while other parts will make some blush or close the book. While there are better Serge Storms tales, this one is not a bad read, just a different one.
Kris
All the characters were a little hard to follow at first - listened to this one on audio - CD format. It has some very hysterical moments, and once you piece all the characters together, and how they interplay with one another, it has a surprising ending which we thoroughly enjoyed. Looking forward to reading more adventures of Serge!
  • Air Dance Iguana
  • Naked Came the Manatee
  • Florida Straits
  • Tampa Burn
  • Fender Benders
Tim Dorsey was born in Indiana, moved to Florida at the age of 1, and grew up in a small town about an hour north of Miami called Riviera Beach. He graduated from Auburn University in 1983. While at Auburn, he was editor of the student newspaper, The Plainsman.

From 1983 to 1987, he was a police and courts reporter for The Alabama Journal, the now-defunct evening newspaper in Montgomery. He joined
More about Tim Dorsey...

Serge Storms (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Florida Roadkill (Serge Storms, #1)
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms, #2)
  • Orange Crush (Serge Storms, #3)
  • Triggerfish Twist (Serge Storms, #4)
  • The Stingray Shuffle (Serge Storms, #5)
  • Cadillac Beach (Serge Storms, #6)
  • The Big Bamboo (Serge Storms, #8)
  • Hurricane Punch (Serge Storms, #9)
  • Atomic Lobster (Serge Storms, #10)
  • Nuclear Jellyfish (Serge Storms, #11)
Florida Roadkill (Serge Storms, #1) Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms, #2) The Stingray Shuffle (Serge Storms, #5) Triggerfish Twist (Serge Storms, #4) Hurricane Punch (Serge Storms, #9)

“Belong to a religion? Doesn't bother me if you do, as long as it's not one that says to stop thinking and be loud about it.” 9 likes
“Almighty Father, please stop making jerks. Amen...Break!” 2 likes