Start by marking “The Change: Women, Ageing, And The Menopause” as Want to Read:
The Change: Women, Ageing, And The Menopause

The Change: Women, Ageing, And The Menopause

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  8 reviews
"A brilliant, gutsy, exhilarating, exasperating fury of a book."
In this compulsively readable, fascinating account of menopause, renowned feminist and author Germaine Greer gives us so much more than the medical facts. She has gone back into history, read textbooks, explored novels and poems, and has written a wholly extraordinary account of w
Published 1992

To ask other readers questions about The Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Change

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodThe Second Sex by Simone de BeauvoirA Room of One's Own by Virginia WoolfThe Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Best Feminist Books
467th out of 1,179 books — 1,420 voters

More lists with this book...

Cindy Dyson Eitelman
Hard to review. Toward the end, she got so "right on!" that I wanted to cheer. I wanted to pull out quotes and send them to friends. To cherish the book forever for reading and re-reading.

But then again, maybe I should just get on with my life.

Anyway, her initial chapters dealing with the history of menopause, or the climeractic as she prefers to call it, are as sad as you would expect. The tendency of male doctors and philosophers to view the female body as a frail, diseased version of a man's;
Linda Robinson
"Nobody knows what to do with a woman who is not perpetually fawning. Calm, grave, quiet women drive anophobes [sic:] to desperation. Women who refuse even to try to empower the penis are old bats and old bags, crones, mothers-in-law, castrating women and so forth. Though female culture cannot afford to give such attitudes even token respectability, we could see our way to exploit male panic if we dared."
Pauline Esson
I'm going against the grain here, I know pretty much everyone who has reviewed this raves about it but I didn't recognise any of this as my experience.
I persisted, coming back again and again thinking the tide would surely turn and I'd find some resonance in the next few pages, but never did.
Officially throwing in the towel at page 104.
If anyone tells me there's a radical change at some point after that I'll come back and resume reading, otherwise, I'm moving on.
Brook Clinton
Although quite well researched it is far too long. Not a bad book for anyone considering having a worthwhile life as an older woman (she often strays into general discussions of feminisim from the older woman's perspective).
An important subject and all credit to her for trying to make women feel better about the menopause. Quite academic with lots of research (although a lot of this is now probably a bit out of date, first published in the 90s I think) - but she seems to think homeopathy is perfectly acceptable! Also she is very serious. Banging on about 'the death of the womb' which didn't make me feel very joyful...I shall search out something else on the same subject but a bit more recent and a bit less fierce.
Germaine Greer, still liberating. I love this woman. And I just found out she wrote a 2000 book called The Whole Woman, which I'm going to get ASAP. She's a million times smarter and two years older than I am, and she's my almost-forgotten goddess.
review to follow, still trying to absorb a lot of what she writes about................hmmm...why does it seem to apply to my Mom more than me......
So relevant it was scary.
Boyd Rudyk
Boyd Rudyk marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Swagatika Mohapatra
Swagatika Mohapatra marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Marianne Kelly
Marianne Kelly marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Kimberley Dunt
Kimberley Dunt marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Rach marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Darilynn Tipton
Darilynn Tipton marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Carla Patterson
Carla Patterson marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Jenny Ackland
Jenny Ackland marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Maiteh marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Kirby marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Yomainbitch marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
AT marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Táňa Sedláková
Táňa Sedláková marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Katie added it
Jun 26, 2015
Sheila added it
Jun 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • New Menopausal Years : The Wise Woman Way, Alternative Approaches for Women 30-90 (Wise Woman Ways)
  • Life and Death
  • The Crone: Woman of Age, Wisdom, and Power
  • Federico Garcia Lorca: A Life
  • The Dangerous Old Woman
  • Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book
  • The Ultimate Guide to Sex and Disability: For All of Us Who Live with Disabilities, Chronic Pain, and Illness
  • Hotel Bemelmans
  • Daybook: The Journal of an Artist
  • Ani's Raw Food Essentials: Recipes and Techniques for Mastering the Art of Live Food
  • Fire With Fire: New Female Power and How it Will Change the Twenty-First Century
Germaine Greer is an Australian born writer, journalist and scholar of early modern English literature, widely regarded as one of the most significant feminist voices of the later 20th century.

Greer's ideas have created controversy ever since her ground-breaking The Female Eunuch became an international best-seller in 1970, turning her overnight into a household name and bringing her both adulatio
More about Germaine Greer...