Start by marking “Daddy, We Hardly Knew You” as Want to Read:
Daddy, We Hardly Knew You

Daddy, We Hardly Knew You

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Germaine Greer's The Female Eunuch was a central book in the early feminist movement and established its author as a brilliant--and wildly controversial--figure. Her latest book is her most personal, an acclaimed account of her search to know her father--and, by extension, herself. What she learned changed her views on her mother, men, truth and loyalty, family and love.
Published January 23rd 1991 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Daddy, We Hardly Knew You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daddy, We Hardly Knew You

Lizzie
Germaine Greer goes on a search for information about her father, who was absent when she was growing up and distant when he returned. Interesting stuff about family history and being Australian.

I liked this a lot - the history and family stuff was great, and she muses a lot about identity and heredity and family history.
Michael Burge
Damned good writing, this. The second Greer book I have read, yet I get the feeling she was right when she claimed (in 2014) it was her best work to date.

Because of the way she captured her pain and tranformed it - angst about disconnection and not knowing about her father, and the bedrock that comes from 'Daddy'.

This book is the story of one of the greatest social researchers the world has ever seen, and her courage at turning the investigation onto herself. 'Daddy' is merely the prism through
Rowena
A bit of a let-down, but then that is because she was stuck for research material and as she said, had accepted an advance for the book before writing it. You'll enjoy it if you admire her, but nothing of real substance.
Stanley
Germaine Greer: Daddy We Hardly Knew You

This is two or three books rolled into one, with a lot of padding and now and again some interesting passages. It could have been much better.

Greer sets out to discover the father she knew so little of. He served abroad for a time during the war, but otherwise she lived at home with him while she was growing up. She loses her focus, however, goes into long descriptions of the travels that took her to far away places where she was searching for evidence of
Kaughtlane
Beautiful story but the descriptive language of the surroundings became a little too much at times. I was drawn more to the emotional intensity of her exploration and was hoping to hear more about her family and the people she encountered. Less about the flowers, trees, killing of kangaroos (which became so repetitive). But, a beautiful story, none the less.
Roy White
A potentially interesting mystery, in which Greer tries to unravel her father's concealments and deceptions, is obscured by her bizarre crotchets and obsessions. Here is my blog on the book:
A Holm
An interesting story of Germaine Greer figured out what her father did during the war.
Sandy Veitch
I met Germaine Greer at the Royal Exchange in Manchester UK when she was promoting this book. Such an intelligent, insightful woman - a pleasure to meet and chat with her.
Hansje
Oct 17, 2013 Hansje marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Ik registreerde een boek op BookCrossing.com!
Iris
I only read it trough because I always end a book.
The story was boring en just a summary of people and facts. Not my cup of tea.
ReneeRuin
ReneeRuin marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Bernadette
Bernadette marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Fleur Mitchell
Fleur Mitchell marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Andrew
Andrew added it
Sep 28, 2014
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Ros
Ros marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Caitlin Bergman
Caitlin Bergman marked it as to-read
Bev
Bev marked it as to-read
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Soos
Soos marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Lefa
Lefa marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Germaine Greer is an Australian born writer, journalist and scholar of early modern English literature, widely regarded as one of the most significant feminist voices of the later 20th century.

Greer's ideas have created controversy ever since her ground-breaking The Female Eunuch became an international best-seller in 1970, turning her overnight into a household name and bringing her both adulatio
More about Germaine Greer...
The Female Eunuch The Whole Woman Shakespeare's Wife The Beautiful Boy The Madwoman's Underclothes: Essays and Occasional Writings

“Libraries are reservoirs of strength, grace and wit, reminders of order, calm and continuity, lakes of mental energy, neither warm nor cold, light nor dark ... In any library in the world, I am at home, unselfconscious, still and absorbed."

[Still in Melbourne January 1987]”
107 likes