De Sleutels Van De Hemel (Michael St. Pierre, #1)

De Sleutels Van De Hemel (Michael St. Pierre #1)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  556 ratings  ·  63 reviews
In een zwaar bepantserde ruimte naast de Sixtijnse Kapel staat een meesterdief op het punt toe te slaan. Hij heeft maar een paar seconden nodig om zijn buit te bemachtigen: twee oude sleutels, één van zilver en één van goud, die samen het mysterie van de Verlossing bewaken. Maar tijdens deze 'missie' doet Michael St. Pierre zo'n gruwelijke ontdekking dat hij direct op de v...more
384 pages
Published (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about De Sleutels Van De Hemel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about De Sleutels Van De Hemel

Margarida
Um bom thriller, uma carga dramática intensa e com uma verdadeira história de amor e amizade, como pano de fundo.

Gostei da sinopse, mas não conhecia o autor, por isso resolvi trazê-lo da biblioteca na minha última visita; se não gostasse, pelo menos não tinha perdido dinheiro!

Confesso que no início pensei isso mesmo: ainda bem que não gastei dinheiro! - A escrita pareceu-me confusa, não desenvolvia, chegou a parecer-me que estava a ler as aventuras de Arsène Lupin. Para quem não sabe Arsène Lupi...more
Alex
THIEVES OF HEAVEN (published 2006) was a very entertaining read. I absolutely could not put it down. This book was Richard Doestch's debut novel. Kudos to the author for rolling out such a great read on the front end of his writing career. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed Dan Brown's Davinci Code. This novel is one of the best thrillers I've read lately, and although it's five years past its publication date, I had to give it a review so anyone who missed out on it can give it a go.

TH...more
Lainy
Meet Michael St. Pierre, a convicted thieve and now a reformed character. But what do you do when the life of the one you love is threatened and the only way you can pay for the medical treatment is to go back to a life you promised you never would.

Michael has no time for religion but loves his wife who never misses a Sunday at chapel and has religion in her heart. Events push Michael to confront his lack of faith and reassess everything he has thought true and face mans unholiest enemy!

I didn'...more
Blood Rose Books
In his debut novel Richard Doetsch explores what a man will do possible save to life and soul of the women he loves, even it means breaking a promise to her, his friends and bringing in to question everything that he believes.

In a small room in one of the most protected places on Earth The Sistine Chapel a master thief has come out of retirement to steal what are considered some of the most precious things are Earth, the two keys to Heaven. Michael who has given up on God and religion has no qua...more
Apzmarshl
Oct 12, 2008 Apzmarshl rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Apzmarshl by: Greg
Deb
Michael used to be a thief--one of the best--but he gave that up to live with the love of his life, Mary. He doesn't want anything to mess up his life with her, as after a stint in prison he knows he couldn't bear the agony of being seperated from her again. So when he is approached my a mysterious man who wants Michael to steal something for him he refuses--but then Mary gets cancer and there is no way he can pay for her medical treatment. So Michael gets involved with this mysterious man's req...more
Debra
Although I liked this book well enough to read to the end, I didn't feel it was anything special. The plot was predictable, although the premise was interesting enough. I thought the main character bought into the "keys of heaven" a bit too quickly with little evidence to push him in that direction. Same with his cop friend. It's really hard to see what motivates them to do what they end up doing.

It was a quick, easy read. I will read the next on in the series because I got the 3rd one as a giv...more
Lunasea
Another incredible book recommended by Donald Maass. It says thriller right on the cover, but it is about the devil and religious supernatural stuff, so I'm counting it as urban fantasy.

The premise and fast paced had be tearing through pages. The end was as good as the rest of the book. I cared about the characters and what happened to them. My only problem was there was no grey to the Devil whatsoever. He wants to go home. That could have been played better (maybe I'm biased since that is what...more
Judi
Another book by Richard Doetsch that I just couldn't put down. This is the 3rd book I have read by him and again I am just blown away with the way he writes and keeps me wanting to turn the pages.

Michael St. Pierre is a "master" thief and is good at his trade. He can figure puzzles out, knows how to get in and get out of a place with his prize. He married the love of his life - Mary and wants to get out of this profession, but he gets caught and sentenced to 10 years. Mary sticks with him and h...more
Katie
This book started off sort of sillily, and just got sillier from there. The idea of a thief stealing a precious object from the Vatican isn't a bad one, but when you find out that he stole it (unknowingly) for Lucifer, and then wants to steal it back to protect his wife's soul (she's sick with cancer), you start to roll your eyes. There's not much else to say...I wish I hadn't finished this one, and moved onto something else, but what can you do.
Lisa
Really enjoyed it...so much so that I went and picked up the next book in the series immediately!
Jo Reason
How far would you go to help save you´re wife´s life? This is a question that Michael doesn´t even think about, for him there is no question, he simply does what he thinks is correct.

This is a great debut novel, published back in April of 2006, not the first book I have read from this author as they are all brilliant.

There is loads of fast paced action going on here, the backgrounds of all the main characters will get you into their lives and you will feel as if you actually know them. I am no...more
Tom Bane
The Thieves of Heaven, is an old mass market paperback (2006) that delivers an edgy fusion of horror and thriller and is a well written debut novel, whilst the synopsis sounds a bit clichéd the execution purposefully avoids the ubiquitous knights templar or other hackneyed themes, like a lot of other works in this genre.

The writer manages to weave together a tortuous and twisty plot with great dialogue which will keep most readers glued to the story, and this is combined with a love affair betwe...more
Tina
Speesh
I seem to have read what actually looks to be the follow-up to 'The Thieves of Heaven'; 'The Thieves of Faith.' I seem not to have liked that one. So why read this one? Maybe I thought, he can't possibly do it twice. Or maybe I just wanted to return to the scene of a crime, I don't know.

The plot? It does have one. He needs to steal some keys from The Vatican's absolutely most closely-guarded museum. But that's the easy bit, just the start of his troubles. As that happens about half way through t...more
kensou09
Without darkness there can be no light. Without death, no life.
Michael St. Pierre, an unusually moral and caring thief, travels illegally beyond his parole bonds to steal well-hidden religious icons and, as a consequence, save his wife's life from an enemy so shocking, so unthinkable beyond man's imagination, racing around the world and exploring the valleys of religion, heaven and hell....

The Thieves of Heaven is nothing short of brilliant. I am surprised that this is Doetsch's first novel. His...more
Sonia Cristina
Michael é um ex-ladrão, que se encontra em liberdade condicional e o seu amor pela esposa, Mary, não lhe permite voltar aos maus caminhos. Até que Mary descobre estar doente e, para pagar os tratamentos, Michael terá de voltar atrás na sua resolução e roubar umas chaves do Vaticano. Chaves estas que terão sido dadas por Deus a S. Pedro, sendo de grande valor.

O roubo tem, no entanto, repercussões terríveis, especialmente para a alma de Mary e Michael tem pela frente uma missão especial.

Este livro...more
Lisa Biegel
This was the first Doetsch that I picked up, and immediately upon finishing it I purchased another. The set of characters in this book (and they are carried through to other adventures) are both entertaining, likable and easy to connect with. The main characters are thieves (with some ethics), their harem of trusted allies and the family that means most to them. The adventure literally takes the reader all over the world to settings that are so well illustrated you don't even have to close your...more
Zézinha Rosado
Este foi um daqueles livros que parecem uma seca no ínicio mas depois conseguem absorver-nos completamente na história.
Confesso que as primeiras 60 páginas foram confusas e ligeiramente aborrecidas e estive mesmo quase para colocá-lo de lado, mas depois a acção começa a desenrolar-se a um ritmo alucinante e não se consegue mesmo parar de ler.
Um thriller fantástico que aposto que deu um filme magnífico: até onde somos capazes de ir por amor?
O que somos capazes de fazer para salvarmos a pessoa qu...more
Helena
This is definitely one of the worst books I've ever read. It's so bad, so predictable and over the top, I just couldn't stop laughing all the time.
Doetsch makes any possible debutant's mistake, it's almost as if no redaction has been done on this book. And I just couldn't get Karl Lagerfeld out of my mind.

Unbelievable this book is even translated into several languages, including mine.
Nevertheless, I don't regret reading it, it was actually quite fun to read, but it was so totally NOT what I e...more
REDD
I got confused when the name of Simon popped up in Chapter 14. Can't figure out if he is a Swiss guard or was he the one supposedly guarding a church in Mount Kephas.

His characterization is poorly introduced in the book.
There an unnamed person trying to shoot Mike at the cemetery then "Simon" appears sitting at Mike"s chair and Simon said to have an Italian accent.

His introduction in the book is confusing...have been flipping back to see where Simon was even mentioned but can' find it. :-(

His c...more
Laurie Gienapp
After reading - and loving - 13th hour, I added this book (and the two that follow), to my list -- and I'm glad I did.

Doetsch does an excellent job of developing characters, describing scenes, and moving the story along. I didn't expect this one to have such strong religious overtones (duh, what did I expect from a book with Heaven in the title?!)... but in fact, the religious elements played an important role in the story, without overwhelming you.

Glad I found this author, he will certainly sta...more
emma
Lacking in believability doesn't quite cover it, but that in itself isn't necessarily an obstacle to a jolly good read. Unfortunately, however, I found almost every single character irritating for one reason or another, and was unable to dredge up any trace of sympathy for any of them. Not to mention the tiresome reminders of how perfect the love between the main character and his (ridiculously understanding) wife was, despite it coming across as mediocre, like everything else in this book. Dire...more
Rob
This was a unique type of "adventure" novel. Putting the symbolic keys of heaven in the novel's physical form, using the skills of a talented thief who loves his wife and would do anything for her, a priest who has excellent weaponry skills, and an antagonist that is practically Satan himself. Throw this all together and you get this novel, which was a really good read. I'm looking forward to reading his subsequent books with the Michael St. Pierre character.
Sablemorgans
good read, really enjoyed this book
Martin Mulcahey
Good plot, good ancillary characters, great villain, and globe trotting scenery. The only drawback for me was that the whole cancer plot and emotions were laid on a bit too thick for my liking. I was surprised by a part of the ending, and how an obvious plot line was not followed or given the typical Hollywood treatment. One shootout scene was a bit over the top, but on a whole this was an enjoyable read and I will buy the sequel.
Shane Stafslien
I thought this was a really solid story; cool plot, warm and identifiable characters and good dialogue. Really liked the dynamics of the relationship between Michael, his parole officer Busch and wife Mary. The author did a great job bringing the reader into the story with his detailed descriptions of the scenes,from appearance and feel to the smells, it was all there. Look forward to reading St. Pierre book #2!
Mel
Ik vond dit boek erg leuk en ik heb veel moeite moeten doen om hem te vinden. Uiteindelijk is hij in mijn boekencollectie beland en daar ben ik nog steeds erg blij mee. Helaas kan ik geen goede review geven, omdat ik het boek niet meer heb herlezen. Mocht ik er eens aan toe komen, dan zal ik er zeker een betere review over schrijven. Nu kan ik het boek enkel aanbevelen, want ik heb er veel plezier van gehad :)
Jan
A reformed thief is prevailed upon to steal again and in payment, the cost of his wife's medical treatment for cancer will be covered. Going back on every promise he's made, the thief steals two keys and in so doing closes the gates of heaven. Predictable and plodding at times, I was able to finish the book but can't say that it was a truly enjoyable experience.
Gina
The beginning of the adventures of Michael St. Pierre.

I actually read the 2nd book first without realizing that their was more than one. Then I went back and read this one.

Simply put brilliant!

A non-stop page turner. I was genuninely shocked by some of the twists and turns and ended up shedding a few tears along the way.

A great thriller!
  • The Book of Q: A Novel
  • The Burrowers Beneath
  • The Evil Genius
  • Beowulf and the Critics (Medieval & Renaissance Texts & Studies, Vol. 248)
  • Grantchester Grind (Porterhouse Blue, #2)
  • Daughter of God
  • Breakheart Hill
  • Silver
  • Beyond the Blonde
  • On the Fifth Day
  • Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1)
  • The Black Sun (Tom Kirk, #2)
  • The First Apostle (Chris Bronson, #1)
  • The Eden Prophecy (Hawker & Laidlaw, #3)
  • The Pegasus Secret
  • Harlot's Ghost
  • Jungle Tales of Tarzan (Tarzan, #6)
  • The Pharos Objective (Morpheus Initiative, #1)
The Thieves of Legend arrives November 27th.

Early Praise:
"The Thieves of Legend stole my breath with the sheer audacity of its storytelling, proving yet again that this series gets better with every installment. Bold, richly told, and rollicking with adventure, here is a thriller that demands to be read in one tension-wrought sitting. Count me a fan for life!"
James Rollins, New York Times Bests...more
More about Richard Doetsch...
The 13th Hour The Thieves Of Darkness (Michael St. Pierre, #3) The Thieves Of Faith (Michael St. Pierre, #2) Half-Past Dawn: A Thriller The Thieves Of Legend (Michael St. Pierre, #4)

“We need something to believe in. Doesn't matter what. God, Buddha, Elvis. We all need faith. That's what gives us hope, hope there's something better out there, something to strive for. Hope is what drives you. Hope gets you out of bed, hoping you're going to make that big sale at work, hoping you get to make love to your wife at night. - Paul Busch” 5 likes
“You can't get by on hope. It doesn't pay the bills and it doesn't save lives.” 4 likes