Start by marking “Vegetarian Planet: 350 Big-Flavor Recipes for Out-Of-This-World Food Every Day” as Want to Read:
Vegetarian Planet: 350 Big-Flavor Recipes for Out-Of-This-World Food Every Day

Vegetarian Planet: 350 Big-Flavor Recipes for Out-Of-This-World Food Every Day

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  285 ratings  ·  27 reviews
350 recipes for inspired combinations of flavors.
Published May 23rd 1997 by Harvard Common Press (first published May 7th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Vegetarian Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegetarian Planet

Jan 23, 2010 Dianne rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: almost no one.
Recommended to Dianne by: people who can tell, just by reading the recipe, what is wrong w
Shelves: food
I am not sure why this book has garnered such rave reviews. While many of the recipes are interesting in theory, they are so negligently written and so poorly tested that they simply cannot be trusted to turn out edible food. Let us take two examples.

The Sweet Potato Latkes recipe instructs the cook to form a mixture of grated sweet potato, minced onion, beaten egg, flour, and seasonings into two disks approximately 5 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick and cook in oil or butter on medium-high h
When I picked this book up I immediately thought, 'it's too big! i don't have room for it! I'll never make enough in it to justify keeping it!'.... and then I went through it carefully. My next thought was 'Well i'm just gonna have to FIND room for it because it's stayin.' It's like a 'Joy of Cooking' for vegetarians, lots of extra charts and how tos and helpful ideas make it worthy of it's sheer heft. (and the recipes aren't bad either!)
This encyclopedic cookbook is stocked with recipes more suited for the bourgeois cafes in Boston the author works at than for a typical weeknight meal at my house. So I tend to use it as a reference. Forgot how long to cook quinoa for? Want to check a template for baba ghanoush without going online? Need ideas for what to include in the filling for stuffed shells? Go to the index of Vegetarian Planet .

There's a few annoying aspects of the cookbook as well. For one thing, Emmons seems to think t
I am not a vegetarian. However, using this cookbook, I could be!! I have only had this book for 3 weeks, and already I have tried several of the recipes. Every one of them was good, and most have been fantastic!! I have 2 loaves of 3 Seed Bread in the oven right now, and they smell heavenly! Even if you are not a vegetarian, this cookbook is worth owning!

I gave the cookbook only 4 stars because a good 20% of the recipes contain difficult to get ingredients. Other than that, it definitely deserve
Jul 20, 2007 Suzzanne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vegetarians and the People who Love Them
Shelves: cookbooks
I love this cookbook. The recipes are all very good. I have only had one or two so-so meals (and I think I might have messed them up). It is important to know that her portion estimates are for starving lumberjacks. So, a 4 person serving really feeds like 8. Which isn't bad...just good to know.

The recipes are easy to follow and delicious. Even omnivores like them (or at least that is what they tell me when I am feeding them...they know which side their bread is buttered on).
Sep 30, 2008 Dave rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dave by: Tona Hangen
Shelves: cookbooks
Chock full of deliciousness! Among our faves:

- Creamy tomato soup
- Dirty Rice
- Roasted New Potato Salad
- Masa cakes with salsa verde

And lots more. There are whole sections we still haven't delved into, but I'm sure they're just as good as the stuff we've tried. My sister gave this to us for our wedding as I recall, and it's been serving us well ever since. Whether or not you're vegetarian (we are most definitely NOT), this book is worth picking up and cooking from.
Given to me by a dear, dear friend who I now value even more for having opened my eyes to this wonderful resource! Emmons filled her book with amazing & inventive--yet not too complicated--recipes, has a great knowledge of world cuisine, and included tons of interesting sidebars to help illuminate the lesser known spices, veggies, grains, and little extras that make a vegetarian diet fantastic. LOVE it. Thanks, YB #1!
The first non-Moosewood vegetarian cookbook I bought. So good! Love the ethnic recipes, esp. the tamale pie and the Thai tofu. The calzones are all excellent, and the All-American Pot Pie has replaced our Thanksgiving turkey. This is a huge cookbook with something for every course and palate.

Not the quickest recipes, but super tasty. Very convivially-written to boot!
I have not had a chance to try very many recipes. The recipes I did try were pretty tasty, however, the index is not helpful at all, only listing the names of the recipes. It does not break it down into separate ingredients, therefore, I would have to search the whole book to find a recipe I might want to try.
I'm still finding new treasures in this surprisingly dense gem of a vegetarian cookbook. You definitely have to be in the mood to "cook" to use the recipes -- they're not the simplest ones around -- but they're inventive and the ones I've tried have been tasty. Overall, a well designed book too.
I bought this book because I had received a bunch of beets from a farm share, and it had a recipe for beets that actually sounded worth trying. It turned out to be a tasty recipe (if you like beets, that is). And I love it almost as much as Emmons' "Entertaining for a Vegetarian Planet."
I am giving this four stars only because I've only made a handful of recipes from it so far. I've loved what I have made, but many of the recipes do take planning and a trip to the store. I recently fed the Smokin' Beans to a group of friends who LOVED me for serving it. Yum!
I've held many cookbooks dear over the years, but this is the one that i would never want to be without. The recipes are innovative and surprising, but comprised of ingredients that tend to be in the kitchen.
one of my favorite cookbooks. If you're in Harvard Square in Cambridge MA, check out Veggie Planet, her resturant. It's little, but mighty.
Excellent source of recipes but not for the light cook. Some of these recipes are for the more kitchen oriented person.
Laura M
I think this is one of the best cookbooks that I own...everything I've tried in it has been very tasty.
Jesse Edsell-vetter
A great cookbook. You can use recipes as they are or a a jumping off point for new ideas
If I could only keep one cookbook currently on my shelf, I think this one would be it.
This is my very favorite cookbook. I use it so often the pages are getting crusty!
Made a delicious strawberry cornmeal bundt cake. want to make tamale bake next.
Fun, delicious fusion recipes. Gets me thinking outside the box!
one of my favorites, hands down. has a great collection of soups.
my mother purchased a copy for me. Lots of good recipes.
The best cookbook EVER, hands down, no competition!
Lots of tasty vegetarian recipes of all kinds.
I LOVE this book!
Matilda Sandgren
Matilda Sandgren marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Amanda marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
  • The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus--With 325 All-New Recipes--For Family and Friends
  • Passionate Vegetarian
  • Cooking the Whole Foods Way: Your Complete, Everyday Guide to Healthy, Delicious Eating with 500 Recipes, Menus, Meal Planning, Techniques, Buying
  • The Vegetarian Family Cookbook
  • The Vegetarian Meat & Potatoes Cookbook: 275 Hearty and Healthy Meat-Free Recipes
  • A Beautiful Bowl of Soup: The Best Vegetarian Recipes
  • Vegetable Love
  • A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen: Easy Seasonal Dishes for Family and Friends
  • Still Life with Menu Cookbook
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
  • The Greens Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine from the Celebrated Restaurant
  • Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special: More Than 275 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Salads & Extras
  • The Voluptuous Vegan: More Than 200 Sinfully Delicious Recipes for Meatless, Eggless, and Dairy-Free Meals
  • Mediterranean Harvest: Vegetarian Recipes from the World's Healthiest Cuisine
  • 500 Vegan Recipes: An Amazing Variety of Delicious Recipes, From Chilis and Casseroles to Crumbles, Crisps, and Cookies
  • Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking
  • New York Cookbook: From Pelham Bay to Park Avenue, Firehouses to Four-Star Restaurants
  • Vegetables: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking with More than 300 Recipes