Start by marking “Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World” as Want to Read:
Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World

Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  1,776 Ratings  ·  157 Reviews
From one of the leading thinkers on Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy, a pioneering set of simple practices to dissolve anxiety, stress, exhaustion, and unhappiness.In "Mindfulness," Oxford professor Mark Williams and award-winning journalist Dr. Danny Penman reveal the secrets to living a happier and less anxious, stressful and exhausting life. Based on the techniques o ...more
Published October 25th 2011 by Rodale Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Mindfulness, please sign up.

Christina Moldovan I believe so! I am currently reading "Full Catastrophe Living" (only 100 pages in) so I can't compare the 2, but this book is much shorter, much…moreI believe so! I am currently reading "Full Catastrophe Living" (only 100 pages in) so I can't compare the 2, but this book is much shorter, much simpler, and much more relatable. I love the meditations that you can download online after purchasing the book and the in-book exercises. They don't only provide help with mindfulness, but they also implement techniques from cognitive-behavioral therapy to provide you with an optimal path to well-being. :) I absolutely adore it, and out of all the mindfulness books I've read so far, it's my favorite. Happy reading!(less)

Jeff Yoak
This is the best book on mindfulness that I've found to date, and certainly the most impacting. I read it through once, and then followed its eight-week plan, and finished by reading it again. (It is fairly short.)

I've been interested in the idea of mindfulness for some time, without even being sure what it is. So many things written about it are clouded by various sorts of mysticism that it is challenging, and yet a feeling that there is something of substance there persisted. Search Inside You
Paula
Oct 11, 2015 Paula rated it really liked it
Wow, I really need to start practicing mindfulness training. Life is so frantic. Never enough time to do everything you want to do. Never enough time to finish my variety of To Do lists. From Wunderlist to Siri reminders, Google Calendar, and of course, a written list, life can be overwelming. Who do I share my time with after a 40-hour work week with a long commute: my husbands and son, my 80-year old parents in Maine, friends, book club mates, my 3 dogs, or the volunteering my son and I do eve ...more
 Lisa A. ✿
Since isn't the first time I have read about the subject of mindfulness meditation so I cannot help but it compare it to other books. Also, I have attempted to practice some elements of mindfulness during the past year but must admit to not succeeding in using formal meditation on a daily basis.

This self help book has a focus on MBCT which utilizes traditional CBT (cognitive behavior therapy) and incorporates the use of mindfulness based meditation practice. To the credit of the authors, I do no
James Thelman
Jul 28, 2012 James Thelman rated it it was amazing
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK.

Like most of us, my mind is a f*cking mess, and this is a fantastically practical way to introduce yourself to the world of meditation.

I really wish that I'd found this book a long time ago because it would have saved me a lot of frustration. There are a ton of books out now about living in the present and meditation, but this one really makes it easy to follow in an 8 week course.

Though I've finished reading the book, I'm going back and following the course week b
Lucinda Porter
Jun 18, 2012 Lucinda Porter rated it really liked it
I have read quite a few books like this, but this is the best of them, and the only one I finished because I wanted to rather than because it felt like I "should." I downloaded the practices and I am still doing this, which for me, is a miracle...
Kelsy
Mar 14, 2017 Kelsy is currently reading it
Mindfulness is broken up into two parts - the actual 8-week mindfulness program and then 4 introductory chapters at the beginning that describe the benefits of meditation and mindfulness in general. Each week of the plan introduces a meditation practice that is to be done twice per day, as well as a "habit releaser" that's done once during the week and intends to add randomness to your life. Since this is an 8-week plan, it seems like it'd be fun to review it as I go (inspired by another reviewe ...more
Vivian
Jan 11, 2016 Vivian rated it it was amazing
I loved this. Very short with 8 different guided meditations at the end. I just started, but I feel like it is really helping me. I just feel so good when I am doing it. It's like a craving. I want to meditate more! I just feel so calm and I love that my mind isn't racing!

Highly recommend

Update: On week 4 - You know the spider man movie when he wakes up and all of his senses are heightened and he doesn't know what is happening? That's how I feel. I notice sounds and smells and tastes that I jus
Kris Neri
Oct 24, 2011 Kris Neri rated it it was amazing
An exceptional book with easy to do meditations. I wasn't sure it needed to be an 8 week program -- I ended up doing in fewer weeks. But I was struck by how much I learned, how much resonated with me in every chapter. Highly recommended.
Hellen
Jul 13, 2015 Hellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was last summer when I got this book from the "please adopt me or I will be destroyed" bookshelf at work. I got it because 1) it was free, 2) this edition looks gah-lorious, and 3) because I was in the market for learning about mindfulness.

Mindfulness, I always feel I need to explain whenever I mention it, is about meditation, yes, but are the techniques without the spirituality. I know even with this distinction a lot of people will turn on their heels, as I did for the longest time. And eve
Tyska
Apr 21, 2014 Tyska rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Mindfulness is "about becoming fully aware of the life you've already got, rather than the life you wish you had. [...] Our endless striving, tunnel vision and brooding, our tendency to get lost in our own thoughts, to be driven by the autopilot, to be consumed by negativity and abandon the things that nourish our souls. [...] When we let go of seeing this as an enemy to be overcome, all of these tendencies are able to melt away in the light of awareness."

When I picked this book up, I knew next
Filipa
I just finished reading Mindfulness and I was shocked to see how much I identified with the symptoms of stress and anxiety. Basically I am a fireball of anxiety, stress and everything you can think of that leads to self-destruction due to the usual stuff that life entails. I feel that, just for reading this book, some things have already changed, or better, that I've already made conscious changes in little things that I can handle. But I know that this is not enough and it certainly isn't susta ...more
Adam Crossley
Jun 08, 2014 Adam Crossley rated it really liked it
Finding peace in a frantic world. Does that sound right? Is the world frantic? Manic?

The basic premise of this book is that yes it is. Fair enough. I think busy might be a better word for it. Doesn't carry all the negative connotation.

I don't mind the pace of the world; however, I do like meditating. This book includes several excellent guided meditations. The speaker in nice and chill. I've listened daily for the past 3 months and I'm not at all tired of the meditations. They are really nice.

T
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Feb 16, 2017 ♥ Ibrahim ♥ rated it it was amazing
I was trying to read every book I could get by Jon-Kabat-Zinn, and this was one of them since he wrote the forward. It turns out I already read another book before by Mark Williams The Mindful Way through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness, and I really loved it then and recommended it to all people I knew who deal with depression as well as other emotional issues. I picked up this book to learn about Mindfulness, but lo and behold I am learning about other equally important i ...more
Debbie Nicoletti
Great Book! If you buy for Amazon Kindle, you'll receive the audio version for the 8 meditations. The best way to go in my opinion because the narrator's voice is amazing. My husband enjoys the mediations when I play the audio and he didn't read the book. So there you go!
This book taught me the importance of mediation and I am hooked!
Delany
Jan 14, 2016 Delany rated it really liked it
I'm getting ready to teach meditation/mindfulness again, and as part of the prep work I am reviewing books and other resources in order to make recommendations to those in the class. Some of my favorite older books will be at the top of my list but I'm checking out newer ones, as well.

This book is a fine introduction to and description of the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) and Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) models. It could conceivably be used by a person who wants to try
Sheila
Apr 12, 2014 Sheila rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed, and was fascinated, by this book on "mindfulness". This in mindfulness for those who are wary of mindfulness, for those wary of "self help" or "therapies" or "religious doctrine" or anything else that may turn you off of the idea of "meditation".

Mindfulness does not have to be about Buddhism, or mysticism, or yoga, or anything else. Mindfulness is just being aware of your own mind, your own thoughts, and how they affect your daily activities.

This book is more scientific t
Joy
Mar 25, 2012 Joy rated it liked it
I found the book helpful with some practical things to do to control unhealthy thinking. The approach was not Christian, but meditation techniques (which I did not practice). I found value in the book's approach to making observations without criticism and just basic mental training. Since the mind is constantly traveling and trying to find memories that echo our current emotional state,
the authors remind the reader that they are just memories. They are like propaganda and don't have to be real.
Kelly
Dec 16, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
I really liked this, and it was an excellent way to begin meditation. I departed from the plan during the 7th week, though, as I had learned what I wanted to learn and was ready to use what I had learned in a practice that was more independent and more integrated with my yoga. This is definitely a book I'll return to, and I recommend it for people who are skeptical of meditation or are science focused.
Mario Tomic
Nov 21, 2013 Mario Tomic rated it really liked it
Audiobook is made out of 2 parts, I've gone through the 1st part which covers the main reasons to meditate and the benefits. The seconds part is guided meditation to put this into practice, as I've already been meditating 20 minutes every day for almost a year now I'll try to apply some of the various techniques thought in this book on where to focus your awareness. I'm very curious to see the results. If you never did meditation before this book is a good place to start.
Sahbi
Feb 03, 2016 Sahbi rated it it was amazing
The best meditation book I ever read. This book can be a life-saver. I have been using many guided meditations from different sources. But the eight weeks guide in this book seems to be the best. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to live fully and happy, to anyone who wants to catch his breath and feel some joy in this crazy life.
Kim
May 18, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
Still reading but already I'm very pleased with the book. It makes it easy to understand how your brain works, how you get stuck in behavior and thought processes that seem to take over. I'm recognizing behaviors already and I haven't done the meditations yet. I highly recommend this book for anyone with anxiety, depression or stress.
Heidi (Yup. Still here.)
Jun 16, 2016 Heidi (Yup. Still here.) rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
I followed this 8 week plan and think it really helped me calm my mind. I liked the exercises and the practical application information as well as the audio meditations included with the audio book (I still use them).
Melissa
Oct 17, 2015 Melissa rated it liked it
A good, practical introduction to mindfulness, with exercises provided.
Also, chocolate meditation.

---
Recommended to me for coping mechanisms for situational stress, anxiety, and depression, where medication is obviously not a suitable option. To try for V-related crap.
Roxane
Jan 01, 2014 Roxane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, non-fiction
Excellent - read it! Even if you do not follow the program there are numerous tips for dealing with a busy life and it will give you a reason to spend a little time on yourself...

And who wouldn't love a book that has a Chocolate Meditation?
Annika
Nov 02, 2015 Annika rated it it was amazing
Well written, easy to follow, a great program and meditations included. Loved it!
Zaher Alhaj
Oct 25, 2013 Zaher Alhaj rated it it was amazing
I went through Prof. Mark program...it really changed a lot of my old thought and behavior patterns. The method is scientifically grounded, and not just new-agey fad, as one might initially think.
Kiwi
Mar 24, 2016 Kiwi rated it liked it
Paul Buggy
Aug 28, 2014 Paul Buggy rated it it was amazing
The best book on mindfulness out there. Simple to read. Nicely paced.
Ler com Lobos
Feb 21, 2017 Ler com Lobos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ótimas dicas e exercícios que nos ajudam (e muito!) a acalmar e a canalizar as energias para o que é importante. Um dia pretendo fazer um vídeo inteiramente sobre o assunto mas o conceito "mindfulness" cada vez me fascina mais! Engraçado como as coisas mudam... há um ano torceria o nariz e seguiria em frente sem olhar para trás. Agora vou ali experimentar a "meditação do chocolate" muahahahah A sério, aconselho a pesquisarem o que é. Eu não conhecia e já sou fã.
Sean
Feb 09, 2017 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great introduction to mindfulness with some good exercises in it. I read about half and skimmed the rest because I've been practicing with a phone app, but this seems like a great plan as well.
audio doesn't match book 1 14 Oct 20, 2013 12:49PM
  • Fully Present: The Science, Art, and Practice of Mindfulness
  • Mindfulness for Beginners
  • The kingdom of infinite space : a fantastical journey around your head
  • Buddha's Book of Stress Reduction: Finding Serenity and Peace with Mindfulness Meditation
  • The Mindful Way Through Anxiety: Break Free from Chronic Worry and Reclaim Your Life
  • The Art of Mindful Living: How to Bring Love, Compassion, and Inner Peace Into Your Daily Life
  • Calming Your Anxious Mind: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Free You from Anxiety, Fear, and Panic
  • Mindful Movements: Mindfulness Exercises Developed by Thich Nhat Hanh and the Plum Village Sangha
  • Clutter Busting Your Life: Clearing Physical and Emotional Clutter to Reconnect with Yourself and Others
  • The Hoarder in You: How to Live a Happier, Healthier, Uncluttered Life
  • The Body Doesn't Lie: A 3-Step Program to End Chronic Pain and Become Positively Radiant
  • Developing Intuition: Practical Guidance for Daily Life
  • How to Train a Wild Elephant: And Other Adventures in Mindfulness
  • A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook
  • Happiness Is an Inside Job: Practicing for a Joyful Life
  • Personal Narrative of a Pilgrimage to Al Madinah And Meccah: Volume 2
  • This Time I Dance!: Creating the Work You Love
  • Mind Power: Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life
J. Mark G. Williams, D Phil, is a Professor of Clinical Psychology and Wellcome Principal Research Fellow at the University of Oxford. He holds a joint appointment in the Department of Psychiatry and the Department of Experimental Psychology. He has held previous posts at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, the Medical Research Council Applied Psychology Unit (now Cognition and Brain Sciences U ...more
More about Mark Williams...

“We try so hard to be happy that we end up missing the most important parts of our lives and destroying the very peace that we were seeking.” 4 likes
“Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.” 4 likes