Start by marking “Orvis” as Want to Read:
Orvis

Orvis

When Toby stumbles upon Orvis - an obsolete robot - he is about to shut himself down. . . forever. Toby knows how Orvis feels: no one wants her either. A spacer all her life, her too-busy-for-Toby parents have packed her away to school on Earth. But when her domineering grandmother decides to send her to school on Mars, Toby rebels. With Orvis and her only other friend Tha ...more
Published June 17th 2002 by Starscape (first published August 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Orvis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orvis

X
Jul 17, 2009 X rated it liked it
Recommended to X by: Q
Quite a quick read, yet it really made me care about the characters, and their problems. It's sci-fi, as it's set in the future, but the characters could be kids of today just as easily, except that their main goal is finding a home for a sentient robot. Good book. 3 1/2 stars. Maybe 4.
D.M. Dutcher
It's hard to see how this won so many awards. It's a science fiction tale about a girl named Toby who one day encounters a robot named ORVIS walking himself to the dump. Toby doesn't fit in to the school, and ORVIS doesn't fit in anywhere, so they both plot to escape to her great-grandmother's place. Unfortunately they crash enroute. Can they survive the Empty?

The plot is pretty basic, with the whole "survive the Empty" taking up much less space and having much less drama than you'd think. The s
Berenise
Dec 10, 2012 Berenise rated it really liked it
Sometimes all we need is a good friend to let us see the best in us. In this science fiction chapter book twelve year old Toby meets Orvis and is able to connect with him despite their great differences. Toby is an only child born to two self-centered actors who plan to transfer her into a boarding school in Mars. This is something that Toby is actively against with since she would have to give up her space life. Because Toby feels unwanted and ignored by her parents she sets off to find her gre ...more
Melissa Urban
Jul 21, 2012 Melissa Urban rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Themes: pre-teen, friendship, robots, rebelling

When Toby stumbles upon Orvis-an obsolete robot-he is about to shut himself down forever. Toby knows how Orvis feels: no one wants her either. A spacer all her life, her too-busy-for Toby parents have packed her away to school on Earth. But when her domineering grandmother decides to send her to school on Mars, Toby rebels. With Orvis and her only other friend Thaddeous, the trio set off in search of sanctuary with her great-grandmother. But to get
Kim
Dec 29, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing
I couldn't have loved this book more. Predictable only at the last 3 pages, but how wonderful those 3 pages were (I had to dry my copy of the book out afterwards, as those pages were tear-soaked).

So many wonderful questions raised about family ties, the power of youth(ful appearance), environmental responsibility, emotions vs intellect - and all done so wrapped in a fantastic story with characters and situations that younger readers can thoroughly enjoy.
Alex
Dec 18, 2012 Alex rated it it was amazing
When you first pick up this book, you think it's going to be a little stupid and childish, but once you get through the first chapter or so, you realize it is a great epic novel. I'm on page 51 and so far I'm loving it! It is based in the future about a girl who finds this junkyard robot and tries saving it. This book is thrilling and descriptive, but at first, the cover looks horrible compared to the actual book because it looks silly and stupid. I'm looking forward to reading more!
Ivan
Jun 15, 2014 Ivan rated it liked it
Funny thing was that, back when I got this book during highschool the very reason It caught my attention was the cover art. It was a different story when I read it though, younger me found it a bit boring or to wordy. Now, after a decade, decided to re-read and finally finish the book. To my surprise, I was kind of enjoying it. Not a groundbreaking children's book but it was actually fun and it had it's moments too. A giod quick read.
Pam
Jun 25, 2012 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Science fiction book for children. A robot who is about to be shut down forever meets a young girl. She adopts him, and they have adventures together. In the process, Toby meets her grandmother and her extended family. Toby and her friend Thaddeus learn about themselves and their families.
Dido
Nov 26, 2013 Dido rated it really liked it
Overall a very strong read, albeit short. A more conclusive ending would've served the book well. The portrayal of the robot Orvis was sharp and engaging.
Elizabeth Lund
Not a survival story; interesting; felt it could have been developed more and made into a 300-page story instead of 180. Robot was a great character.
Agnes Manalo
Apr 08, 2013 Agnes Manalo rated it really liked it
The only book about robots I've ever liked. Also the only book about a futuristic world I've ever liked.
Yingtai
Yingtai rated it it was ok
Mar 22, 2013
Bardmaiden
Bardmaiden rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2015
Tamra
Tamra rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2009
Isabella
Isabella rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Chis
Chis rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2011
Teehutari
Teehutari rated it liked it
May 18, 2014
Dee
Dee rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2008
Wandi
Wandi rated it did not like it
Nov 20, 2014
Osik
Osik rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2013
P.M.
Aug 29, 2011 P.M. rated it it was amazing
Loved that robot ORVIS. He's more human than the humans.
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
May 19, 2012
Nov 10, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
The first pages hit a few wrong notes but the story soon picked up.
Song
Song rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2013
Joshua Macy
Joshua Macy rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Rachel A
Rachel A rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Agile!: The Good, the Hype and the Ugly
  • Gray Matters
  • The City Under Ground
  • The Golden Helix
  • Astro Boy, Vol. 4 (Astro Boy, #4)
  • Inside the Painter's Studio
  • I Was A Sixth Grade Alien (Sixth Grade Alien, #1)
  • Can You Feel Anything When I Do This?
  • Change Has Come: An Artist Celebrates Our American Spirit
  • The Conductor
  • Cold Courage (Studio, #1)
  • Teacher
  • 42 Miles
  • The Mammoth Book of Golden Age Science Fiction: Ten Classic Stories from the Birth of Modern Science Fiction Writing
  • The Heavenly City of the Eighteenth Century Philosophers