Start by marking “The Princess and the Three Knights” as Want to Read:
The Princess and the Three Knights

The Princess and the Three Knights

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  38 reviews
The King challenges three knights to prove their love for his daughter. True love wins in Karen Kingsbury's heart-warming tale of inner beauty and devotion.
Published April 19th 2011 by Zonderkidz (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Princess and the Three Knights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Princess and the Three Knights

Cheryl Olson
Apr 06, 2011 Cheryl Olson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4-7 year olds
Karen Kingsbury not only writes life-changing fiction for adults, but for our children as well in the lovely tale entitled The Princess and the Three Knights. With beautiful and intricate illustrations by Gabrielle Grimard the story just comes to life. The Princess is a beautiful girl on the outside, again as beautifully demonstrated through the illustrations, as she is on the inside. Her father the king is in search of a knight with a heart as beautiful as that of his daughter and so he arrange ...more
Jen
An excellent fairy-tale style story with a message. A beautiful princess has scores of suitors, but the king is determined to find her a husband who values her for more than her beauty and wealth.

Like Kingsbury's other title "The Brave Knight" (about integrity) her stories integrate Christian-based morals which, in the hands of other Christian-children's writers are often overly saccharine, trite, or off-putting. Kingsbury, however, does a superb job of tying-in the fairy-tale tropes and cumula
Jane Maritz
Esmé here, reviewing my very own book! I am one-two years old (29 months).

This book is called The Princess and the Three Knights. It is written by Karen Kingsbury, who has written LOTS of books, and is illustrated by Gabrielle Grimard. It's a Christian picture book targeted for ages 4-7.

Here's the publisher's synopsis: "The King challenges three knights to prove their love for his daughter. True love wins in Karen Kingsbury’s heart-warming tale of inner beauty and devotion."

What is the book abou
Miri
I hated this, for many reasons, and in spite of the almost too beautiful illustrations. (In fact, in the context of the drippy overbearing Christianness of the story, the illustrations were too beautiful, and I sneered at them even as I liked them.)

Typical patriarchal fairy tale storyline: Very white, blonde princess is so beautiful the villagers stop to watch her pass. She's so wonderful that her father knows he must find the best possible knight to marry her. Princess never says a word in the
Clockstein Lockstein
The Princess and the Three Knights by Karen Kingsbury and Gabrielle Grimard is a beautifully illustrated fairy tale that will quickly become a family favorite. First, here are Mia's feelings about the book: I like it, I like the whole thing. The artwork is wonderful and fantastic. I learned that love always protects. My favorite part in the whole book was the happily ever after, because the princess and her husband looked so happy. I definitely want to keep this book forever! It makes me feel ha ...more
Savannah Andrea Smith
With absolutely ADORABLE and breath-taking illustrations, and a theme that made me grin until my face hurt, The Princess and the Three Knights is one of the few "kiddie" books that I actually tell all my friends about.
At the ripe old age of 15 (haha!) I actually read this because we had a bookfair at my school and I thought it was a cute concept because of the Princess-and-Knights-vying-for-her-love aspect, and I am VERY glad I had the chance to read it.
I'm sort of a sucker for chivalry, and M
Kara Love
The best Princess book you could read to a young girl.
The King is looking for a worthy prince to marry the princess, but it's not all about strength and wits. He picks the prince who is godly and will protect his daughter's heart.
Leanne
The illustrations are by far the best part of this book - they are lovely, but the story is lacking. It seems to reinforce the stereotypical patriarchal domestic arrangements favoured by Christian fundamentalists. While it is laudable that the knight wants to cherish and protect the princess, she doesn't seem to have anything to offer him. He says that he loves her, but have they even had a single conversation? Do they really know anything about each other? Why is the princess so passive and fra ...more
dave
Great Christian fairy tale piece. Liked the inclusion of the passage "I can do all things..."
Oanh
This story was just ok to me. The illustrations are beautiful-- this is what drew my little reader to pick the book up from the library's shelf. But I had an issue with how the book portrayed the characters. Just from doing a cover analysis, my little reader figured that the dark-haired knight with the black horse would be the "bad one." I thought that that played into stereotypes too easily. Also, upon reading this story aloud, I discovered that this story offers Christian values as well. Proba ...more
Emily
Lovely illustrations and a good story.
PWRL
Oct 01, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zzz2014-oct-new
A, SM
Shelli
Would have been a 5 star book except for the author going FAR out of her way to incorparate a Christian angle. This was unnecessary to show the knights love for the princess was in any way tied down to a religious level. Christians need to realize that sometimes people are just good people and don't need some imaginary guy in the sky telling them to be good for them to try to be a caring person. Felt like a forced serman I used to have to listen to as a child.
Amy
Though the illustrations are lovely, the story is just the old princess trope glossed over with a bit of scripture. The title princess is a passive, silent girl, and her happy ending consists of having a husband chosen for her. Because of the reductive presentations of femininity and masculinity in this and the companion book, The Brave Young Knight, I would not choose these books for my children.
Leanna
I picked this book up in a bookstore expecting some cute, trite little story for little girls. My was I surprised at the quality of the within. This is (although short) a well written tale that avoids, syrupy sweetness, bludgening the reader over the head with a message or coming across as trite.
Sabrina
Not exactly the right level for my 2 year old, but my husband liked reading it to her and it had a princess, so she enjoyed it anyway. It has a good message--that you should protect and honor the one you are to marry, but I'm not sure if kids are going to get it.
Nicole
this is a very good book and it teaches what is a perfect prince and has a heart for God. And who doesn't care about what she looks like but what she feels inside of her.great for little kids and for big kids.
Margaret
Online FREE story time: http://www.scribd.com/doc/21813635/The-P...

I feel like I've read this before. Maybe it just reminds me of The Brave Young Knight? Would love to own this for one for the girls.
This is a beautifully sweet and simple fairy tale about the treasure of godly love. A lovely depiction of the meaning behind true love from Karen Kingsbury.
Amber
I'm not a church goer but I liked how the story taught that someone who truly loves you wouldn't endanger you. It's a good lesson for any young girl.
Kenzie Ramsey
This os a good book about love and how you don't always have to be rich and wealthy. But to be kind and caring.
Jen
Dec 20, 2010 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: elizabeth
My rating my change since I only just heard this book read online @ CBD. This one's going on our shelf for Christmas.
Anna
I loved this book! Like Max Lucado's picture books, but for girls (a more princess-y twist)
Joy
Excellent book for young girls and women. Beautifully written and illustrations are amazing.
Camille
My boys were not impressed (big surprise), but I loved the artwork and charm of this girly book.
Veronica
Really sweet and a perfect read for a mother to read to her young daughter.
Ashley
it was a very sweet book, but i thought it would be longer...
Molly
Had potential, loved the art but was pretty disappointed over all.
JoAnn H.
Wonderful book for children and parents alike!! :)
Kathryn
What a beautiful book! Kathryn just loved it!!!!!
  • The Apple-Pip Princess
  • All You Need for a Snowman
  • Sir Cumference and the Sword in the Cone
  • Snuggle Up, Sleepy Ones
  • The Outlandish Adventures of Liberty Aimes
  • Black as Night (A Fairy Tale Retold #2)
  • More Parts (Parts, #2)
  • Wag!
  • Apple Pie ABC
  • Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs
  • Chester's Back! (Chester)
  • Love, Splat
  • Charlie and the Christmas Kitty
  • Ask Mr. Bear
FROM AUTHOR'S WEBSITE:

USA Today and New York Times bestselling author Karen Kingsbury is America’s #1 inspirational novelist. There are more than 15 million copies of her award-winning books in print, including several million copies sold in the past year. Karen has written more than 40 novels, ten of which have hit #1 on national lists.

Karen has a true love for her readers, and she has nearly 1
More about Karen Kingsbury...
Redemption (Redemption, #1) Remember (Redemption, #2) Even Now (Lost Love Series, #1) One Tuesday Morning (9/11 Series, #1) Leaving (Bailey Flanigan, #1)