The Haunting of St. Xavier

The Haunting of St. Xavier

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  37 reviews
"Justice comes to all in time." Although empty for over fifty years, St. Xavier Monastery was still an awe inspiring structure and Jason Bentley thought he'd found the perfect location for his newest resort. Yet once construction begins to bring the magnificent building back to its former glory, odd events begin to occur. While the death of a stonemason shakes Jason, he de...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Total-E-Bound Publishing (first published February 21st 2011)

GymGuy
From all the great reviews, I really expected more out of this book. I just can't give it more than 2 stars. Here is my reasoning:

While the plot was semi-interesting, I just couldn't get into the characters. Both Ryan and Jason were two-dimensional. There was absolutely no reason for either of them to be in love with one another. Ryan acted like a 10-year-old sometimes, running out in to the garden with a sheet on, or standing in the garden nude, or doing something else really stupid...after bei...more
Ter
I so liked this one!!!
While I know the word "horror" was used in the genre. And while the there were some horrible things that had happened in the past.
To me this is a really good Suspense/Mystery ghost story,
The mystery of "why are the ghosts there," "what happened to them," "who are they," "what do they want" and "how does Ryan fit into all of this?"
And suspense of "what will happen next," "what will the ghost(s) do next?" (it's like when you watch that kind of movie and scream to the tv "don...more
Nikki
Read as part of the GB challenge and recommended to me by Perpetua (thanks!)

I haven't read any Carol Lynne or T.A. Chase books before so wasn't sure what to expect (I know I am the only m/m fan who hasn't read anything by these two!).

I found that I really enjoyed the mix of mystery/suspense and romance in this story and I was just as intrigued to see how the ghost story unfolded as I was the romance between Ryan and Jason.

The mystery was well written and very creepy at times (hello, blood-soaked...more
Charlie Richards
Whew! This one was kinda creepy! Killer nuns and priests abound. The mystery is deep and kept me guessing. The characters are well put together, the romance sweet with plenty of sensual loving. I did find it a little odd that Ryan jumped head first into a relationship with Jason after all that time denying his true urges. Maybe it all came to a head?

Ryan's exploration of his inner feelings are both gut-wrenching and heart-warming. The things he's been through show his inner strength and fortitud...more
Edina Rose
Good book. I liked the mystery/horror a lot. The only thing that puzzles me is why Ryan (the priest) considered his homosexuality to be the problem. As far as I know, it is the vow of chastity that matters to the church. As long as you take the vow never to have sex, whether you are attracted to men or women is irrelevant since you won't act up on it.

And I wonder why the heroes where not really disgusted with the nuns killer in spite of the killer's extenuating circumstances. To be able to comm...more
Heather♥
I love books like this. Hot romances plus creepy storylines are always a win-win for me and this book had plenty of great characters and plot twists. Ryan with his shy innocence and Jason with his confident sexuality made a great couple. I liked how instantly protective they were of each other whenever dealing with the violent spirits of St. Xavier. But can you blame them? The bloody nun imagery really was great. It's something I won't be forgetting any time soon. In fact, I now find myself taki...more
Rachel
I really enjoyed this and thought it was a very solid, strongly written read from Carol Lynne and TA Chase, two authors who I really enjoy separately...they also write very well together! It was creepy as all get out, and I really liked the growing relationship between Jason and Ryan. Highly recommended to those who like horror/ghost stories!
Janean
Read as part of my QGB Q2 Challenge, recommended by Bubbles(Dane). I really enjoyed this story. The ghost story was intriguing and just creepy and mysterious enough to keep me interested. Of course the men were hot and the sex steamy :) Great story line.
Angela
You know I'm normally okay with Carol Lynne's insta-love stories, because they're usually very sweet and not a little bit hilarious, but with this one, I wish she'd just taken her time. The way they fell into bed and love together just made me think that in five to seven years they'd be falling out of love but would feel stuck with each other because of their shared experiences and Ryan would feel forever obligated to Jason for giving him a life outside of the church.
The actual mystery part of t...more
JoAnn
This was a very good murder mystery with ghosts thrown in the mix. Hope that there might be a sequel!!!
Yvonne
For the GB challenge recommended by Amanda. There are a couple of storylines here. One is Jason has recently purchased a monastery that he intends to turn into a hedonistic gay resort. Apparently even though he's supposedly a great businessman he bought this piece of property without an extremely thorough inspection as he's constantly surprised by problems he discovers especially on the fourth floor. He also never bothered to investigate any of the building's history prior to purchase. All this...more
Cole Riann

Original review posted at Reviews by Jessewave.

Though not a horror connoisseur, I do love a nice, juicy scary story from time to time and hauntings are my favorite. So I was excited to see what delightful evils TA Chase and Carol Lynne could create with their co-authored novella, The Haunting of St. Xavier. The story begins when Jason Bentley, an entrepreneur who creates erotically-themed gay resorts, buys the remains of St. Xavier Monastery for a new project. The brooding building has...more
Barb Manning
The Haunting of St. Xavier is a tale of the pain of justice delayed and love redeemed. There are three main characters in this story: Jason Bentley, Ryan Christopher, and St. Xavier Monastery. The monastery hovers over the love story between Jason and Ryan with its dark history of death and murder. Jason is a creative executive with exotic plans for the sprawling structure, while Ryan is a Catholic Church deacon trying to come to some conclusions about the path his life will take.

Both Lynne and...more
Frances McNeal
3.75 stars really.
Jason Bentley buys the abandoned St. Xavier monastery to turn it into a gay resort only to find the building is haunted. Deacon Ryan Christopher has been resisting taking his vows to become a priest because he's having a hard time dealing with his feelings towards men. The two come together to fight off the ghosts and in the process fall in love. I actually liked the scary haunted theme as a totally different storyline for a couple to get together. I think their relationship wa...more
Byron
This was a good read, once I set aside my dislike for the 'situation'...

Basically my dislike of this is because it was disrespectful towards a religion... No I'm not of that religion, but it's VERY much how I perceive some elements of the gay community. I think I would have liked to see the back story to this book.. I think that too could have been interesting.. One of the lead characters sounded like he could be a whole book unto himself.. Then the secondary characters were really good and int...more
Shaz
One of the signs of a good book is the inability to put it down. I read this one in one sitting lol.

I'll admit I was slightly hesitant to start this, as I was not sure where it would go. But I needn't have worried. I didn't mind the religious aspect at all.

The characters weren't as well-fleshed (and no that's not meant as a pun...) as I would have liked, but with everything going on it wasn't a jarring omission. Overall a great book to pass a few hours with.
Allie
Not as scary as I would have hoped for after reading the reviews. I found Ryan gave it up a little too quickly and all this man sitting on another man's lap business. Who does that? Women hardly ever do that (well, the ones I know anyway) so I am surprised that the 'passive' men in this story were that nancy. I like my gay men (in stories, at least) to be strong and manly.

The story was an interesting concept. Could have been more scary, that's for sure.
Another great collaboration from Carol Lynne and T A Chase. I really like the story of the bloody nun and it managed to freak me out. Although that might also have been because I was sat reading it a two in the morning in the garden. I thought the characters were great although I was slightly disappointed that Jasons character wasn't as well rounded as Ryan particularly in the last third of the book. Still it was a great setting and enjoyable read
Meggie
The love story between Jason and deacon Ryan didn't feel realistic for me. Everything that happened between them developed to fast and to soon. But the other part of this whole storyline wasn't bad. I liked the mysterious part of haunting in St. Xavier. The side story from the past was really good, too. I liked how everything developed at the end. There is even an epilogue. So, the way it ends with a HEA, is awesome. I liked it!
Erica Pike
This was very exciting and I had a hard time putting it down, but what did bother me was how quickly Ryan confessed to liking Jason when there hadn't been any indication to the reader that there was attraction from Jason's side. Did Ryan even know Jason was gay when Ryan first said he liked Jason? If he did then I somehow completely missed it.

But, I don't like to linger on things like that and thoroughly enjoyed the read.
Shannon
I really enjoyed the story and would have rated it higher if it didn't contain two of my pet peeves. One, condoms during oral sex and two, having the bottom cum first to relax him. Otherwise it was a very interesting and slightly spooky read. But I'm a pussy when it comes to scary things so that may just be me. Loved the MCs and supporting characters.
Candice
This is the first time I have read anything from this author. I enjoyed the romance and the mystery and made me want to see how the whole ghost/mystery was unfolded. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about a romance with a soon to be priest, but it was well written and the romance between Ryan and Jason came across as believable.
Marsha Spence
Really, really enjoyed it. I had trouble getting into it at first - not sure why. But I really enjoyed the leads and the relationship between Christopher and Jason was so sweet. I didn't have a clue about the ending until about 1/2 way thru and was thinking to myself, I wonder... I was right! Great read!!
Veronica / V
This book is a little bit creepy if you read it home alone. Althought it was great.
I loved the plot, it was scary, sweet, funny (I adore Roland).
The sex scenes were divine, I think this Author write the best sex scenes.
This story had all the components that I love, for me it was perfect.
Jen
I think the haunting and the plot were very well written but I had issues with Ryan's complete 180 flip of lifestyle, verbiage, etc. I also am not a fan of the "Honey" and such used between men as terms of endearment. It's usually the first clue that the author is female.
Janie
While I'm not usually into paranormal, I'm very much into M/M anything. And I love other books by this author so of course I had to read this one too. It was really good. I loved Jason and Ryan together, their characters just meshed so well together. Great book.
Owen Creed-novak
I did not put it down, read on till one in the morning because I had to know how it ended.... And I had to get up at 4:15am for work, it was so worth missing sleep over. A true joy to read.
Mandi
Really enjoyed this one! Very creepy visuals (the bloody nun?? *shivers*) and interesting plotline. Recommended to m/m fans who enjoy a little spooky paranormal fun with their smexxin'. :)
Lipvixen
I loved this!! It had the perfect balance of mystery and romance that kept me guessing. Ryan's history broke my heart tho.
Sam
Love agood ghost story and this one filled the billnicely - creepy enough for a few shudders late at night - yes!
  • The Wounds in the Walls
  • Fade to Black (Clear Water Creek Chronicles #3)
  • Jessup (Wylde Boys, # 1)
  • Ethan's Choice (Kindred Spirits, #1)
  • Shades of Black (Fatefully Yours, #5)
  • Angelic Ties (His Guardian Angels, #2)
  • Shake, Rattle, and Roll
  • 3
  • Damian (Marius Brothers, #5)
  • Aggressive Alpha (Twin Pines Grizzlies, #7)

erotic & gay romances
More about Carol Lynne...
All Play and No Work (Cattle Valley, #1) Sweet Topping (Cattle Valley, #3) Bad Boy Cowboy (Cattle Valley, #7) Rough Ride (Cattle Valley, #4) Coach (Campus Cravings, #1)