Start by marking “The Anome (Durdane, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Anome (Durdane, #1)

The Anome (Durdane #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  373 ratings  ·  14 reviews
DURDANE THE IMPRISONED

A world of strange ways and stranger people. A land where men and women are marked for life. Where they are bound to irrevocable destinies by the proclamations of the Faceless Man-an unseen power which terrorises and controls the world.

Durdane is a place where defiance is punished with death. But this kingdom of myriad mystery and incalculable peril i
Mass Market Paperback, 206 pages
Published October 1977 by Coronet (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Anome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Anome

Stephen
Nobody spins the "young citizen provocateur who monkey-wrenches the status quo and topples the oppressive authoritarian regime" story more effectively than Jack Vance. He's simply great at telling this kind of tale. Vance is also adept at giving better bang for the buck when it comes to story content vs page count. Few of his novels exceed 250 pages and yet he's consistently weaving intricate stories that feel epic in scope.

His prose is taut and tightly-crafted and there is little or no wasted
Aaron Singleton
Another Vance masterpiece. This one is about the musician Gastel Etzwane, the creatures known as the Roguskhoi, and the Faceless Man or Anome, ruler of Shant and their interactions and conflicts. As usual, Vance's societies are plausible and unusual, his setting vivid, his details perfect but not overwhelming. Highly recommended.
Micah
This is my first Vance book, and I really enjoyed it. I was hooked from the general premise of a totalitarian ruler known as the Faceless Man whom nobody has seen, yet who can destroy them at any moment by the explosive ring around each of their necks. Even if they're just talking badly of him! This book had my ideal balance of both science fiction and fantasy elements, with the horrible Rogushkoi creatures roaming around raping women and such, as well as some classic planetary and spaceship ele ...more
D.L. Morrese
Mur (later renamed Etzwane) is from a female-phobic religious community from which he escapes. He then becomes a musician and later learns of a threat to his country in the form of ravaging mutant creatures. For some reason, the Faceless Man, the mysterious supreme authority that rules here, refuses to act against them and minimizes the threat they pose. Etzwane seeks out the Faceless man to discover why and to try to get him to take action.
This first book of the Durdane trilogy was originally p
Stuart Aken
Described on the back cover of the Coronet edition I read, as Science Fantasy, this novel was first published in 1971, and is the first of a trilogy. I come late to it via my brother who was disposing of it during a small house clearance. I'm glad I chanced upon it.

The setting is another world; the time, the very distant future, when humans have left the Solar System and colonised other planets. This is a world without the computer as we know it, though certain of the tools and devices display f
Raymond Sexton
The best of the Durdane trilogy. Very readable. There is a subtlety and wry wit In Vance's writing which I enjoy. The setting is typically exotic and yet with that hint of totalitarian menace which permeates much of Vance's sci fi. There is a particularly memorable scene where the young protagonist is running for his life, which is a great lesson in how to create tension.
Dominic Munsill
Not my favorite Jack Vance, it did not carry the same umph as other novels of his that I have read... Still, I never come away from a Vance novel disappointed and this was no exception. The complex governments and laws of the world this story is set in are marvelous and the idea of the "Faceless Man" is brilliant. I suppose if I was aware that my head would blow off if I broke a law, I would never commit the simplest infraction.

It is written with Jack Vance's signature style, with his tight sen
Otis Campbell
Don't be surprised to see
That I have nothing left for you to bleed
When you come crawling back for more...for more
Tim Rice
Pretty cool book. 1970s style dystopia, using a distant future to explore politics. I'm looking forward to the rest of the trilogy. BTW, my previous prediction comparing it to Anathem was wrong.
Ellis L.
It's been so long, I don't remember much, but I do remember I enjoyed it. This three-volume work was my second encounter with Vance, I think. If I remember it correctly, the first one was called The Last Castle.
Frozenwaffle
Interesting worldbuilding, but the writing style didn't captivate me much. The plot is a bit slow but picks up towards the end, when it becomes a pageturner supreme!
Avis Black
I wish someone would reissue the Durdane trilogy. It's tough to find nowadays.

rachelish Slater
Alternates between being really good and really boring.
Ryan Curry
Queeg
Queeg added it
Feb 05, 2015
Fazeer Laheer
Fazeer Laheer marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Dorkboy
Dorkboy marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Jean-Jacques Marny
Jean-Jacques Marny marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
  • The Sardonyx Net
  • The Dark Light Years
  • A Life for the Stars (Cities in Flight, #2)
  • Martians, Go Home
  • Inside Outside
  • Wolfling
  • The Winds of Gath (Dumarest of Terra #1)
  • Empire of the Atom
  • After Doomsday
  • Close to Critical (Mesklin, #2)
  • Next of Kin
  • The Face of the Waters
  • Stranglers' Moon (Family d'Alembert #2)
  • The Eyes of Heisenberg
  • The Dragon Lensman (Second Stage Lensman Trilogy, #1)
  • Thrice Upon a Time
  • Dancer's Luck (Dancer, #2)
  • Pandora By Holly Hollander
Aka John Holbrooke Vance, Peter Held, John Holbrook, Ellery Queen, John van See, Alan Wade.

The author was born in 1916 and educated at the University of California, first as a mining engineer, then majoring in physics and finally in journalism. During the 1940s and 1950s, he contributed widely to science fiction and fantasy magazines. His first novel, 'The Dying Earth', was published in 1950 to gr
More about Jack Vance...

Durdane (3 books)
  • The Brave Free Men
  • The Asutra (Durdane, #3)
The Dying Earth (The Dying Earth, #1) Tales of the Dying Earth Suldrun's Garden (Lyonesse, #1) The Eyes of the Overworld (The Dying Earth, #2) The Green Pearl (Lyonesse, #2)