Start by marking “High Stakes” as Want to Read:
High Stakes

High Stakes

At fourteen, Luke Calloway was left for dead. Now he's on a trail of vengeance as he seeks out the men who killed his parents. He soon discovers that the person responsible is a corrupt man who wields his power to brand the young man a criminal. With revenge as his constant companions, Luke quickly finds himself playing the part of an outlaw. But love has a way of changing ...more
Published January 1st 2004 by Covenant Communications, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about High Stakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about High Stakes

Becky Fenton
Feb 11, 2009 Becky Fenton rated it liked it
Lindsay
Jun 11, 2008 Lindsay rated it liked it
Shelves: ldsfiction
Good old-fashioned, shoot-em-up western that happens to have Mormon characters. I listened to the audiobook that had its issues, but also had its merits. If you can get over the Welsh character who sounds like she's from Australia it's not too bad.

Plot Synopsis: After spending much of his adulthood chasing the men who killed his family, Luke crosses the planes with a herd of cattle and the woman he marries in order to save her from a compromising position. They settle in Utah with hopes of start
Athena
Sep 03, 2008 Athena rated it liked it
I listened to this on CD. I think it would have been better reading it. I listened while on my morning walk and got distacted a few times and had to go back and listen to parts a second time. It was a good story, I just felt like it ended and wrapped everything up so quickly.
Verona
Jul 07, 2014 Verona rated it liked it
A sweet, pioneer, western story. I enjoyed listening to the experiences of this young couple as they made their way west and became interested in the Mormon faith as they lived among the people in Utah and Idaho.
Melissa
May 26, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
I read this after I read Wild Card. I think I would have enjoyed it more if i had read them in the right order. I enjoyed it, but I wish there was more at the end--an epilogue or a sequel about Luke and Maddie or even one of their children later!
Linda Miller
Mar 18, 2014 Linda Miller rated it it was ok
I have read many of Jennie Hansen's books and have always enjoyed reading them-this one was a big disappointment! Very predictable story line, no character development, it reads like a book for a 4th grader!
Susan
Nov 22, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-novels
I don't usually read western novels, but I really liked this one about a young boy who witnessed the murder of his parents and spent four years tracking the murderer and the man who ordered the killings--a neighbor who wanted their land. It was a good adventure/romance novel.
Julie
Aug 05, 2010 Julie rated it liked it
I checked this one out for my daughter, but as I needed something I didn't have to concentrate too hard on during swimming lessons, I grabbed this. A western with a gentle romance. Although this is a LDS author, I didn't find it dripping with the things that generally annoy me in this genre.
Tammy
Jul 10, 2009 Tammy rated it it was ok
I am not really a fan of westerns, which this turned out to be. Also, some of the storyline was hard to follow.
Susan
Mar 31, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it
Luke and Maddie are two good young people running away and wind up together unexpectedly. They mend each other's hearts and their lives are better for it.
Brenda
Jun 21, 2009 Brenda rated it liked it
I enjoyed the whole struggle across the wilderness, living off the land, falling in love, overcoming tragedy,
Lisa
Feb 22, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable read. It was a bit rushed at the end. But, I liked it enough to read another Jennie Hansen (this was my first).
Lisa
Jun 10, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, lds
I really liked this one...it was right up my alley. It's a western love story but not too mushy. This may be a series...seems like it is but there wasn't mention of a next book...Anyone know?
Amanda
Oct 19, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
Luke and Maddie get together after Luke's parents are killed and Maddie's dad wagers her in a card game.
Beazer
Oct 29, 2015 Beazer added it
Again, a well action packed written novel. A different perspective in finding yourself and your inner strength for forgiveness.
Janice
Janice rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2008
Diony George
Diony George rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2012
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2012
Crystal Lemon
Crystal Lemon rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2011
Shauna Sommerfeldt
Shauna Sommerfeldt rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2009
Annalisa
Annalisa rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2008
Ann-marie
Ann-marie rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2009
Savanna
Savanna rated it it was ok
Jan 27, 2016
Beth Noll
Beth Noll rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2015
Cindy Muller
Cindy Muller rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2011
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2009
Kishell Olsen
Kishell Olsen rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2017
Eggunter
Eggunter rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2007
Shell
Shell rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2008
Connie
Connie rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
  • Until Proven Guilty (Haggerty Mystery, #2)
  • Opals and Outrage (Gems and Espionage, #8)
  • Love Beyond Time
  • Traitor (Traitor, #1)
  • Winter Fire
  • Ripple Effect (Undercurrents, #2)
  • Finding Paradise