Start by marking “The Parasol Protectorate: Soulless, Blameless, and Changeless” as Want to Read:
The Parasol Protectorate: Soulless, Blameless, and Changeless

The Parasol Protectorate: Soulless, Blameless, and Changeless (Parasol Protectorate #1-3)

4.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,213 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
Book 1: SOULLESS
Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette.

Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire -- and then the a
Published July 4th 2011 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about The Parasol Protectorate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Parasol Protectorate

Soulless by Gail CarrigerPhoenix Rising by Pip BallantineChangeless by Gail CarrigerBlameless by Gail CarrigerLeviathan by Scott Westerfeld
Steampunk
30th out of 362 books — 586 voters
Magic Bites by Ilona AndrewsNaked in Death by J.D. RobbAngels' Blood by Nalini SinghOne Grave at a Time by Jeaniene FrostHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
Romance series with one couple
44th out of 96 books — 85 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelli
I loved these books so much. It's as if Sense and Sensibility, Interview With A Vampire, and Bridget Jones' Diary somehow merged, and so much more. Pure fun.
Kate
Aug 22, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kate by: Stephen
Here's an ancedote: When I attended community college in a very small town of upstate New York, called Corning, I took an acting class in which the final was a performance of a comedy. Our group chose Seven Brides For Dracula in which I was casted as Mrs. Half Nelson a "guest" at the sanatorium. My favorite part was when I chased a warewolf and tried to kiss it.

The reason why I bring this up is because the first book in The Parasol Protectorate: Soulless, Blameless, and Changeless features the v
Aj
Mar 01, 2012 Aj rated it it was amazing
Shelves: would-read-again
Delightfully addicting. This 3-in-1 book combines some of my favorite genres all into one book: supernatural, gadgets (ala steampunk), humor, romance, fashion and the Victorian era. The main character reminds me somewhat of myself…curious, hung up on her “lack” of good looks, intelligent, outspoken, etc. The way her husband deals with her is very reminiscent of my own hubby. The characters are engaging and the humor often left me laughing out loud much to my son’s bewilderment. (What’s so funny ...more
Emilie Smart
Aug 03, 2012 Emilie Smart rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: romance fans, steam punk fans, vampire/werewof fans, humor fans
Recommended to Emilie by: found it myself
Shelves: science-fiction
What a Great Series!! If you like steam punk, vampires, werewolves, comedies of manners, historical fiction and fun, these books are for you. If you're not a fan of any of these genres, these books are STILL for you. I really don't like steam punk. I'm tired (exhausted, really) of werewolves and vampires. I did't want to read Soulless, but I had nothing else to read. I thoroughly enjoyed it and HAD to keep going.

The various recurring characters are what make this series. Alexia, our heroine, is
Ruby Madden
Jun 12, 2012 Ruby Madden rated it it was amazing
The Parasol Protectorate Series by Gail Carriger is a treasured find from 2010. I was riding home from work on a very packed bus and noticed the cover of the book the man sitting across from me was reading. He had a bemused, wry grin on his face. Something told me he was reading something scintillating. Being brave, I boldly went in. In a realm where strangers don't want to, but are often forced to interact, I decided to talk to a stranger. So, I asked?

"Excuse me, If I may - what are you grinni
April
Jul 31, 2011 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't pass up this great three-book deal — I've seen the covers for a while and was curious about the stories they represented —and I'm so glad I took the plunge and bought these books. I am now a fan.

First off, these books were great FUN to read. The writing is clever, witty, and irreverent. The cast of characters is unique and memorable. The stories are formulaic but only in the very best of ways. This series is the kind of series that you'd want to see in movie or TV series format —they'
Kristen
Sep 09, 2011 Kristen rated it really liked it
I’d put this series squarely in the very entertaining poolside read category. It’d also work well on an airplane.
Since I read this series as a bundle and it’s hard for me to separate the story arc into the different novels, I’ll put my review this way—if you like (or tolerate) at least three of the items from this list and haven’t already succumbed to soulless person, werewolf, or vampire-related burnout, you’ll like this series:
1. Steampunk.
2. The Importance of Being Earnest. (George Bernard S
Crystal
Aug 25, 2011 Crystal rated it really liked it
You can read my review on each book independently through their personal links. I did buy the series in the collection of 1-3 and also 4 all at once. I really appreciated having book 3 around at the end of 2 as there is a bit of a cliff hanger. It was also nice to have all three books in a row in 1 book on my reader so I didn't have to switch them out at any point. I get confused sometimes if I don't have the computer right next to me to tell me which is next in the series when the names are so ...more
Clarke
Overall I'd give the series 4.2 Stars.

Soulless- Book 1
4.2 Stars. Public Library 8/14/15. I started with the YA series because it had better reviews but I enjoyed this book much more and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series. Alexia is a charming and direct female character with a nice adventures backbone. Lord Maccon is a equally delightful alpha werewolf and love interest. Together they get into and out of trouble frequently that serves as a nice mating dance. The support chara
Tânia
Since this volume is an anthology of the first three books in the Parasol Protectorate series, I thought it best to write a little about each one.

Soulless
This is the first book in the series, and also my first approach to the story and the author’s writing. It was hard to get into the story at the beginning because this is not my usual type of reading, and given the fact that the story is set in a Victorian era I found it difficult to adapt to the writing style but that was just a matter of gett
Emily
Mar 29, 2015 Emily added it
Overall it was a good series. I thought the author was clever and very funny. I think I kind of got burned out on the series, because I read the complete series straight through in a short period of time. That being said, I can't give a detailed review. Also I have binge-read multiple books since this series. I think these books are a great read, and it's so nice to get lost in a different world. The characters are lovable; I love the love story--it's so fierce. The heroine is raised in an unhea ...more
Sandra Wagner
Mar 02, 2014 Sandra Wagner rated it really liked it
A wonderful series! The world building was excellent and the descriptions were like a tapestry. Also I would love to have some of the dresses and outfits she described!

It is a steampunk/vampire/werewolf series of novels set in the Elizabethan era. What's not to like!
Sterling
Despite being notably bothered by the fact that Alexia gets married and then knocked up almost immediately -which is NOT what I signed on for- I was told that I was getting the adventures of an independent woman in steampunk Victorian England. BUT, as neither marriage nor 'delicate condition' stops her from having adventures, I'll probably continue with the series.

This is mostly for the B-list characters, though, as it often is with me, Lord Akeldama (and his flock of dandies), Ivy Hisselpenny (
Jessica
Sep 27, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I just finished the third book of this series, and it's pretty fun. It's an alternate universe with werewolves and vampires and steampunk all wrapped up into a Victorian comedy of manners. Alexia Tarabotti is a "preternatural", which means she was born without a soul. This doesn't mean that she's evil, it means that she's extremely pragmatic and scientific-minded, but not very imaginative or creative. In this world, having "excess soul" causes you to become a werewolf or a vampire or a ghost, an ...more
Reneeoakley
Jan 02, 2016 Reneeoakley rated it really liked it
The Parasol Protectorate Series is my mindless candy. It's fun, entertaining, and has a strong female protagonist. Definitely one of the better YA supernatural series out there.

Odile Kaylor
Apr 01, 2016 Odile Kaylor rated it really liked it
The entire series is hilarious. Dry humor, light.
I am listening to them on CD and the narrator is also very talented.
I highly recommend this if you need/want to laugh.
Lesli
Soulless: Funny. Fast-paced and not my cup of tea. Still, it was worth the read...even if I did continually call Alexia "teletubby." 3 stars

Blameless: TBR

Changeless: TBR
Miranda
Apr 18, 2014 Miranda rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
First book=AMAZING!!!

Second book=just skip it, trust me.

Third book=better than the second, but still not as fabulous as I want it to be :(
Jean
Mar 15, 2014 Jean rated it really liked it
Shelves: jd-s-favorites
Awesome, funny, witty. You don't have to be "into" vampires etc to enjoy...its just good fun with clever writing and a feisty heroine.
Emilie
Jul 05, 2012 Emilie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a three book anthology.

Soulless:
I really liked this one, flew through it. The dynamic with the main characters was very fun to read.

Changeless:
This one was hard to get through. I'm not quite sure why, but I just didn't care for it as much. Too many secrets and not enough interaction of the main characters (they are in different places for a good chunk of the book)

Blameless:
This one got better again. Although Lord Maccon (the main guy) started to feel a lot like Richard from the Anita Bla
Eileen
Jul 30, 2012 Eileen rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
Make no mistake; these are bad, but they are also funny.

I read all five books in the Parasol Protectorate series over the course of about a week and a half. The premise is ridiculous; steampunk British (and a minority of French, Italian, Prussian, and Egyptian) vampires, werewolves, ghosts, creepy religious brothers, and a few additional newly made up paranormals, all caught up in national & international intrigues, ludicrous romances, and maybe some slash, why not? Also Queen Victoria, amat
Molly Jameson
Apr 11, 2016 Molly Jameson rated it really liked it
So fun, smart and steampunky
Erika
Jun 12, 2014 Erika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the first two the third which I was looking most forward to was okay.
Robert
Dec 20, 2013 Robert rated it really liked it
This was an excellent series.

I found that I wanted to share several quotes through the book. I think that the author has done an excellent job of putting together a fun and coherent world that many people can enjoy.

The series starts off very strong and continues just as strong until the final book. I do wish that the author had held tight to the ending that was apparent rather than the happier one she concluded with.

Yes you should read this and enjoy it for the fun romp that it is.
Barbara Brien
Sep 06, 2012 Barbara Brien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, steampunk
I liked the first book the best, and the second the least. I'm not going to rush out to get the next installment, but I will eventually read more. Here are some reasons I have to keep reading this series, other than that I enjoy the author's sense of the ridiculous.

What will happen to Biffy?
How will Lord Akeldama react to his new circumstances?
What will happen to the hat shop?
Will Alexia's sisters ever get married?
What is Floote hiding?

I'm sure I'll come up with other reasons.
Stacia
Sep 04, 2015 Stacia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soulless -
Changeless -
Blameless -

I was a little less enthralled with Alexia & company in the subsequent books, but I still enjoyed the reads. They are light, easy and fun. Quite entertaining. Not the most substantive reads, but not everything has to be. They are good for what they are. I look forward to continuing the series.
Michelle
This is my new favorite series (besides Harry Potter, of course). It's hilarious, charming and Alexia Tarabotti is the best female character I've ever known! Set in Victorian London, this steampunk world is incorporating the supernaturals into every day (or night) London society. Hilarity ensues as Alexia, a spinster, becomes the center of all that is to-do in society - with her ever-present parasol!
Tracy
Aug 24, 2014 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
From the first sentence, I thought the language was overdecorated and the character development overdone, but when I picked up on the fact that even Carriger was making fun of herself, I instantly fell in love with the mystery of vampires and werewolves in Victorian London. Plus, everyone loves a kick-ass female protagonist. Entertaining read if you need a break from intellectual musings.
Betty Cheng
Feb 01, 2012 Betty Cheng rated it it was amazing
The Parasol Protectorate series is a lighthearted mystery series. Our heroine, armed with her personal...ahem...authority plus her special ever-trusty parasol, faces a series of dastardly villains, prevents mayhem and chaos from overwhelming the British Empire while taking tea with her friends. To reveal more is to spoil the fun of watching the characters (and they are characters) unfold. Enjoy!
Kat M
Apr 05, 2013 Kat M rated it really liked it
Cute, entertaining, and definitely worth the read. The first book in the series (Soulless) is the best, but it maintains high quality throughout each book. If I'd been forced to wait a year between books, I don't think I'd have much difficulty. In fact, I'm not entirely confident I'd remember to watch out for the newest installation. So I enjoyed the series, but I wasn't captivated.
Steampunk, New We...: The Parasol Protectorate- Gail Carriger 102 137 Apr 19, 2013 09:54AM
YA Book Club Not ...: * Parasol Protectorate 6 33 May 01, 2012 12:34PM
  • A Kate Daniels Magic Series Collection (Kate Daniels, #1-5)
  • Jane Goes Batty (Jane Fairfax, #2)
  • Girl Genius, Vol. 12: Agatha Heterodyne and the Siege of Mechanicsburg (Girl Genius #12)
  • Preying For Mercy (Mercy Thompson, #1-3)
  • Brilliant Devices (Magnificent Devices #4)
  • A Study in Darkness (The Baskerville Affair, #2)
  • The Curious Case Of The Clockwork Menace (London Steampunk, #3.5)
  • The Educated Ape and Other Wonders of the Worlds (Japanese Devil Fish Girl #3)
  • The Havoc Machine (Clockwork Empire, #4)
  • Hounded, Hexed, Hammered - The Iron Druid Chronicles Bundle (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1-3)
  • Isabel Spellman's Guide to Etiquette: What is Wrong with You People
  • The House on Durrow Street (Mrs. Quent, #2)
  • The Trouble with Moonlight
  • The Lady Julia Grey Bundle (Lady Julia Grey, #1-3)
  • The Vampire Handbook
  • Heart's Journey
  • The Spellman Series Box Set 1 - 4 (The Spellmans, #1-4)
  • The Flux ('Mancer, #2)
Gail Carriger writes comedic steampunk mixed with urbane fantasy. Her books include the Parasol Protectorate and Custard Protocol series for adults, and the Finishing School series for young adults. She is published in 18 different languages and has 13 NYT bestsellers via 7 different lists (including #1 in Manga). She was once an archaeologist and is overly fond of shoes, octopuses, and tea.
Gail
More about Gail Carriger...

Parasol Protectorate (5 books)
  • Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1)
  • Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2)
  • Blameless (Parasol Protectorate, #3)
  • Heartless (Parasol Protectorate, #4)
  • Timeless (Parasol Protectorate, #5)

“How did that saying go? Alexia wondered. Ah, yes, “Brash as an American.” Well, they had won their independence somehow, and it was not with politeness.” 2 likes