The Parasol Protectorate: Soulless, Blameless, and Changeless

The Parasol Protectorate: Soulless, Blameless, and Changeless (Parasol Protectorate #1-3)

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  913 ratings  ·  75 reviews
Book 1: SOULLESS
Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette.

Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire -- and then the a...more
Published July 4th 2011 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about The Parasol Protectorate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Parasol Protectorate

Soulless by Gail CarrigerPhoenix Rising by Pip BallantineChangeless by Gail CarrigerBlameless by Gail CarrigerThe Last Adventure of Dr. Yngve Hogalum by D.L. Mackenzie
Steampunk
30th out of 316 books — 543 voters
Naked in Death by J.D. RobbMagic Bites by Ilona AndrewsAngels' Blood by Nalini SinghOne Grave at a Time by Jeaniene FrostHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
Romance series with one couple
48th out of 90 books — 57 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelli
I loved these books so much. It's as if Sense and Sensibility, Interview With A Vampire, and Bridget Jones' Diary somehow merged, and so much more. Pure fun.
Kate
Aug 22, 2012 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kate by: Stephen
Here's an ancedote: When I attended community college in a very small town of upstate New York, called Corning, I took an acting class in which the final was a performance of a comedy. Our group chose Seven Brides For Dracula in which I was casted as Mrs. Half Nelson a "guest" at the sanatorium. My favorite part was when I chased a warewolf and tried to kiss it.

The reason why I bring this up is because the first book in The Parasol Protectorate: Soulless, Blameless, and Changeless features the v...more
Aj
Delightfully addicting. This 3-in-1 book combines some of my favorite genres all into one book: supernatural, gadgets (ala steampunk), humor, romance, fashion and the Victorian era. The main character reminds me somewhat of myself…curious, hung up on her “lack” of good looks, intelligent, outspoken, etc. The way her husband deals with her is very reminiscent of my own hubby. The characters are engaging and the humor often left me laughing out loud much to my son’s bewilderment. (What’s so funny...more
Emilie Smart
Aug 03, 2012 Emilie Smart rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: romance fans, steam punk fans, vampire/werewof fans, humor fans
Recommended to Emilie by: found it myself
Shelves: science-fiction
What a Great Series!! If you like steam punk, vampires, werewolves, comedies of manners, historical fiction and fun, these books are for you. If you're not a fan of any of these genres, these books are STILL for you. I really don't like steam punk. I'm tired (exhausted, really) of werewolves and vampires. I did't want to read Soulless, but I had nothing else to read. I thoroughly enjoyed it and HAD to keep going.

The various recurring characters are what make this series. Alexia, our heroine, is...more
Ruby Madden
The Parasol Protectorate Series by Gail Carriger is a treasured find from 2010. I was riding home from work on a very packed bus and noticed the cover of the book the man sitting across from me was reading. He had a bemused, wry grin on his face. Something told me he was reading something scintillating. Being brave, I boldly went in. In a realm where strangers don't want to, but are often forced to interact, I decided to talk to a stranger. So, I asked?

"Excuse me, If I may - what are you grinni...more
April
I couldn't pass up this great three-book deal — I've seen the covers for a while and was curious about the stories they represented —and I'm so glad I took the plunge and bought these books. I am now a fan.

First off, these books were great FUN to read. The writing is clever, witty, and irreverent. The cast of characters is unique and memorable. The stories are formulaic but only in the very best of ways. This series is the kind of series that you'd want to see in movie or TV series format —they'...more
Kristen
I’d put this series squarely in the very entertaining poolside read category. It’d also work well on an airplane.
Since I read this series as a bundle and it’s hard for me to separate the story arc into the different novels, I’ll put my review this way—if you like (or tolerate) at least three of the items from this list and haven’t already succumbed to soulless person, werewolf, or vampire-related burnout, you’ll like this series:
1. Steampunk.
2. The Importance of Being Earnest. (George Bernard S...more
C.M.
You can read my review on each book independently through their personal links. I did buy the series in the collection of 1-3 and also 4 all at once. I really appreciated having book 3 around at the end of 2 as there is a bit of a cliff hanger. It was also nice to have all three books in a row in 1 book on my reader so I didn't have to switch them out at any point. I get confused sometimes if I don't have the computer right next to me to tell me which is next in the series when the names are so...more
Tânia
Since this volume is an anthology of the first three books in the Parasol Protectorate series, I thought it best to write a little about each one.

Soulless
This is the first book in the series, and also my first approach to the story and the author’s writing. It was hard to get into the story at the beginning because this is not my usual type of reading, and given the fact that the story is set in a Victorian era I found it difficult to adapt to the writing style but that was just a matter of gett...more
Sandra Wagner
A wonderful series! The world building was excellent and the descriptions were like a tapestry. Also I would love to have some of the dresses and outfits she described!

It is a steampunk/vampire/werewolf series of novels set in the Elizabethan era. What's not to like!
Jessica
I just finished the third book of this series, and it's pretty fun. It's an alternate universe with werewolves and vampires and steampunk all wrapped up into a Victorian comedy of manners. Alexia Tarabotti is a "preternatural", which means she was born without a soul. This doesn't mean that she's evil, it means that she's extremely pragmatic and scientific-minded, but not very imaginative or creative. In this world, having "excess soul" causes you to become a werewolf or a vampire or a ghost, an...more
Miranda
First book=AMAZING!!!

Second book=just skip it, trust me.

Third book=better than the second, but still not as fabulous as I want it to be :(
Jean Dandois
Awesome, funny, witty. You don't have to be "into" vampires etc to enjoy...its just good fun with clever writing and a feisty heroine.
Emilie
This is a three book anthology.

Soulless:
I really liked this one, flew through it. The dynamic with the main characters was very fun to read.

Changeless:
This one was hard to get through. I'm not quite sure why, but I just didn't care for it as much. Too many secrets and not enough interaction of the main characters (they are in different places for a good chunk of the book)

Blameless:
This one got better again. Although Lord Maccon (the main guy) started to feel a lot like Richard from the Anita Bla...more
Eileen
Make no mistake; these are bad, but they are also funny.

I read all five books in the Parasol Protectorate series over the course of about a week and a half. The premise is ridiculous; steampunk British (and a minority of French, Italian, Prussian, and Egyptian) vampires, werewolves, ghosts, creepy religious brothers, and a few additional newly made up paranormals, all caught up in national & international intrigues, ludicrous romances, and maybe some slash, why not? Also Queen Victoria, amat...more
Erika
Loved the first two the third which I was looking most forward to was okay.
Robert
This was an excellent series.

I found that I wanted to share several quotes through the book. I think that the author has done an excellent job of putting together a fun and coherent world that many people can enjoy.

The series starts off very strong and continues just as strong until the final book. I do wish that the author had held tight to the ending that was apparent rather than the happier one she concluded with.

Yes you should read this and enjoy it for the fun romp that it is.
Barbara Brien
I liked the first book the best, and the second the least. I'm not going to rush out to get the next installment, but I will eventually read more. Here are some reasons I have to keep reading this series, other than that I enjoy the author's sense of the ridiculous.

What will happen to Biffy?
How will Lord Akeldama react to his new circumstances?
What will happen to the hat shop?
Will Alexia's sisters ever get married?
What is Floote hiding?

I'm sure I'll come up with other reasons.
Michelle
This is my new favorite series (besides Harry Potter, of course). It's hilarious, charming and Alexia Tarabotti is the best female character I've ever known! Set in Victorian London, this steampunk world is incorporating the supernaturals into every day (or night) London society. Hilarity ensues as Alexia, a spinster, becomes the center of all that is to-do in society - with her ever-present parasol!
Tracy
From the first sentence, I thought the language was overdecorated and the character development overdone, but when I picked up on the fact that even Carriger was making fun of herself, I instantly fell in love with the mystery of vampires and werewolves in Victorian London. Plus, everyone loves a kick-ass female protagonist. Entertaining read if you need a break from intellectual musings.
Betty Cheng
The Parasol Protectorate series is a lighthearted mystery series. Our heroine, armed with her personal...ahem...authority plus her special ever-trusty parasol, faces a series of dastardly villains, prevents mayhem and chaos from overwhelming the British Empire while taking tea with her friends. To reveal more is to spoil the fun of watching the characters (and they are characters) unfold. Enjoy!
Kat M
Cute, entertaining, and definitely worth the read. The first book in the series (Soulless) is the best, but it maintains high quality throughout each book. If I'd been forced to wait a year between books, I don't think I'd have much difficulty. In fact, I'm not entirely confident I'd remember to watch out for the newest installation. So I enjoyed the series, but I wasn't captivated.
Jennie
I wanted to like these books, but the writing was too prosy, hyperbolical, and generally loose. The author has some fun ideas and engaging characters, but the writing needed a good, thorough line edit. There's too much telling, and not enough understatement to really capture Victorian sensibilities. I may not finish even the first book in this series.
Erin
Each of these three books was well-written, but I think that I enjoyed the final installment the best so far. Fans of the Victorian era, steampunk, and supernatural genres will probably find this entertaining; be warned that there is quite a bit of flowery language as befits the time, although there are a number of anachronisms thrown in for fun.
Terri Ehrlich
This was a purely for-fun read, and it delivered in spades, or should I say shades? A delightful mix of all my favorites: an irreverent, independent Victorian heroine, werewolves, vampires, ghosts, and steampunk. Am starting the fourth book right away, even though I should be reading my book club selection for the month.
victoria.p
Light, fun, entertaining paranormal steampunk Victorian comedy of manners/romance with werewolves and vampires in. Needs a better editor - there are some errors I found jarred me right out of the story (desultory does not mean derogatory! also, learn the difference between may and might!) - but overall, a fun, compelling read.
Jacques
Very entertaining and funny at times. An interesting idea and worth a read. Though I would not put this on my top reading list. I did enjoy my time with Alexia and her parasol. I am a big fan of comedy of manners and these books lack the complexity required by the genre. It's very nice for a bit of escape tough.
Julia Brumfield
A wonderful and more mature telling like "Twilight" but way better. As Lord Akeldama says the story is full of "scrumptious characters" and a high adventures of various sorts.

This alternative history will keep you on the edge of your seat and begging to finish the series. I can't wait for the ending!!!
JulieLaLa
This series was very good fun! Set in Victorian England, but with vampires and werewolves integrated into society, with a protagonist who mixes with them all. Steampunk adventure, romance and comedy, with great attention to detail, to settings and language. Very entertaining read!
Mary Ellen Myers
The first book was intriguing. Except a little hard to follow due to grandiose verbiage of an unnecessary sort. It should however be classified strictly as a romance novel. Also once Lord What's his name...the Scottish dude wins Ms. Tarabotti, it just kind of loses it's appeal after that.
Steampunk, New We...: The Parasol Protectorate- Gail Carriger 102 132 Apr 19, 2013 09:54AM
YA Book Club Not ...: * Parasol Protectorate 6 32 May 01, 2012 12:34PM
  • Kate Daniels Complete Set 1-4
  • Preying For Mercy (Mercy Thompson, #1-3)
  • Jane Goes Batty (Jane Fairfax, #2)
  • Shadows Fall
  • Dead Witches Tell No Tales (The Hollows, #3-4)
  • The Master of Heathcrest Hall (Mrs. Quent, #3)
  • The Kraken King and the Empress's Eyes (Iron Seas, #4.7; Kraken King, #7)
  • Cassie Palmer series 1-4 (Cassandra Palmer, #1-4)
  • The Janus Affair (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #2)
  • Bob Moore: No Hero  (Bob Moore, #1)
  • Name Dropping
  • Dangerous Favor
  • Lock & Key
  • The Japanese Devil Fish Girl and Other Unnatural Attractions (Japanese Devil Fish Girl #1)
  • Poison Study & Storm Glass
  • Here Be Monsters - An Anthology of Monster Tales
  • Better Off Dead In Deadwood (Deadwood Mystery # 4)
  • The Trouble with Moonlight
Ms. Carriger writes steampunk urbane fantasy comedies of manners to cope with being raised in obscurity by an expatriate Brit and an incurable curmudgeon. She escaped small town life and inadvertently acquired several degrees in Higher Learning. She then traveled the historic cities of Europe, subsisting entirely on biscuits secreted in her handbag. She now resides in the Colonies, surrounded by a...more
More about Gail Carriger...
Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2) Blameless (Parasol Protectorate, #3) Heartless (Parasol Protectorate, #4) Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1)

“How did that saying go? Alexia wondered. Ah, yes, “Brash as an American.” Well, they had won their independence somehow, and it was not with politeness.” 2 likes