Start by marking “The Trouble with Angels” as Want to Read:
The Trouble with Angels

The Trouble with Angels

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  16 reviews
originally published with the title:
Life with Mother Superior
Paperback
Published 1966 by Dell (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about The Trouble with Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trouble with Angels

Jim
One of my favorite comedies when I was a kid was The Trouble With Angels, about two rebellious high schoolers at a Catholic girls boarding school and their ongoing war against the formidable Reverend Mother. It wasn’t until recently that I learned the movie was actually based on a memoir by Jane Trahey, and many of the characters and incidents were real. So naturally I had to track down the book and get the true story.

The book itself is mostly written anecdotally. Each chapter tells a story of a...more
Lisa Vegan
I read and reread this book when I was 12, 13, & up. I really enjoyed the high jinks of the 2 teenage friends in a Catholic girls’ boarding school. It’s great fun, and it made me both laugh and cry.
Sharon
I sought this book out after seeing the charming and funny film 'The Trouble With Angels' on TV. You know what I found? An even more charming and funny book!

This book made ME (who has always referred to her Catholic School Days as "the worst 3 years of my life") feel a short desire for cleaning blackboards and singing alleluias in the choir. Trahey managed to capture the wit, the angst and loneliness that I felt at that time. A terrific coming of age story!”
stormhawk
Sometimes you accidentally come across a book that brings you delight. Life with Mother Superior certainly did that for me. It's not just growing up Catholic that does that for you ... in my case it's about a well-loved movie, The Trouble with Angels, and spending at least some of my childhood within a mile or three of locations where the film was shot. All of the adventures of the movie are here, and a few besides. My biggest surprise is that I only recently learned that the movie was based on...more
Lauren
One of my favorite books ever. This book, written by Jane Trahey, was loosely based on her high school experiences as well as her experiences at Mundelein College, a college for woman in Chicago. Having communicated with Trahey's friend and accomplice, "Mary" in real life, I learned tha the book is only very loosely based on Jane Trahey and Mary's real experiences, but it is still a delight to read. It is also the book upon which the movie "The Trouble With Angels" is based (Trahey's character...more
Sadonna
I read this book years and years ago. Hilarious - and then the movie with Hailey Mills I think? I'm sure I saw the movie on TV since the book came out the year I was born!
Jaime Contreras
This is a sweet coming of age in an all-girls Catholic high school comedy. Yes, it was the basis of the film, The Trouble With Angels.
Dana
This book has SUCH a twist ending! I never saw it coming. Perfect book for teenage girls everywhere.
Audrey
For some reason, I find books about nuns and convents and boarding schools really interesting. Although I know that there are a few schools that still have nuns in habit as teachers, it's pretty rare—and in a decidedly different world than it used to be. So to me, stories like this are time capsules of an extinct environment in a bygone era. That, and the fact that I love the movie The Trouble with Angels , which was based on this book, are the reasons I picked this up.

There are a lot of simila...more
Kellie
I quite enjoyed this read. It read more like a young adult novel than a memoir. Granted, a 1960s young adult novel, but a young adult novel none-the-less. :) It was dated, obviously, and there were some things mentioned in the story that I had to look up, but that didn't detract from the stories she told.

It was fun to read about the mischief her and Mary got into, and see how nicely they transformed her stories to the film.
Kristin Lyon
This should actually be 3.5 stars. It's not a favorite or an excellent read, but it's fun. Especially for having been written in the 60s. If I would have read this as middle schooler or high schooler I would have loved it! I think their hi jinks is fun, I really enjoyed Mother Superior and I think thAt it would actually be a much better movie than a book! (Not often I say that)
Hilary
This humorous book, originally published under the title "Life With Mother Superior," is loosely based on the author's parochial school experiences. It is also the basis of the very funny Haley Mills film, "The Trouble With Angels," starring Rosalind Russell.
Maryhope
This is the book the film "The Trouble with Angels" was based on. Anyone who had a catholic education by the "Sisters" can relate to this book. A fun look back at school days in the catholic tradition.
Sharon Zink
Too bad she was so naughty. Well-written account of a girl attending a Catholic girls' school.
R. Honey
This book was right up my rebel without a cause alley self in the late 60 s!
Amanda
I read this a long time ago. I remember it was very very funny!
Shar
Shar marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Janell C.
Janell C. is currently reading it
Oct 10, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Rory
Rory marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Mary Cornelius
Mary Cornelius marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Karen Hesson
Karen Hesson marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Sangeetha Sunil
Sangeetha Sunil marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Laura Hawks
Laura Hawks marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
  • The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst
  • The Gift of Peace
  • To Sleep with the Angels: The Story of a Fire
  • Shadow Castle
Son of the Martini Cookbook Pecked to Death by Goslings Thursdays 'til 9: A Novel Life with Mother Superior - Dell # 4783 Jane Trahey on women and power: Who's got it? How to get it?