Start by marking “The Trouble with Angels” as Want to Read:
The Trouble with Angels

The Trouble with Angels

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  257 ratings  ·  21 reviews
originally published with the title:
Life with Mother Superior
Paperback
Published 1966 by Dell (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about The Trouble with Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trouble with Angels

Sacred Hearts by Sarah DunantIn This House of Brede by Rumer GoddenThe Monk by Matthew Gregory LewisThe Nun by Denis DiderotThe Three Sisters by Bryan  Taylor
GET THEE TO A NUNNERY
6th out of 93 books — 53 voters
Wallbanger by Alice ClaytonPlaying for Keeps by R.L. MathewsonSeduction and Snacks by Tara SivecTangled by Emma ChasePerfection by R.L. Mathewson
Funny as Hell!
459th out of 1,465 books — 4,882 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim
One of my favorite comedies when I was a kid was The Trouble With Angels, about two rebellious high schoolers at a Catholic girls boarding school and their ongoing war against the formidable Reverend Mother. It wasn’t until recently that I learned the movie was actually based on a memoir by Jane Trahey, and many of the characters and incidents were real. So naturally I had to track down the book and get the true story.

The book itself is mostly written anecdotally. Each chapter tells a story of a
Lauren
One of my favorite books ever. This book, written by Jane Trahey, was loosely based on her high school experiences as well as her experiences at Mundelein College, a college for woman in Chicago. Having communicated with Trahey's friend and accomplice, "Mary" in real life, I learned tha the book is only very loosely based on Jane Trahey and Mary's real experiences, but it is still a delight to read. It is also the book upon which the movie "The Trouble With Angels" is based (Trahey's character ...more
Lisa Vegan
I read and reread this book when I was 12, 13, & up. I really enjoyed the high jinks of the 2 teenage friends in a Catholic girls’ boarding school. It’s great fun, and it made me both laugh and cry.
Sharon
I sought this book out after seeing the charming and funny film 'The Trouble With Angels' on TV. You know what I found? An even more charming and funny book!

This book made ME (who has always referred to her Catholic School Days as "the worst 3 years of my life") feel a short desire for cleaning blackboards and singing alleluias in the choir. Trahey managed to capture the wit, the angst and loneliness that I felt at that time. A terrific coming of age story!”
stormhawk
Sometimes you accidentally come across a book that brings you delight. Life with Mother Superior certainly did that for me. It's not just growing up Catholic that does that for you ... in my case it's about a well-loved movie, The Trouble with Angels, and spending at least some of my childhood within a mile or three of locations where the film was shot. All of the adventures of the movie are here, and a few besides. My biggest surprise is that I only recently learned that the movie was based on ...more
Vroom
I'm giving this a 3-star "I liked it" although the book really only deserves a 2-star "it was okay" and that's mostly because the book inspired The Trouble with Angels movie, one of my favorite movies of all time. This slight memoir contains most of the seeds of the movie's plot but little of its heart, depth, and conviction. That's mostly because real life reflects what happens while storytelling offers what should happen, enabling filmmakers and authors to craft a coherent narrative. I'm not s ...more
Sadonna
I read this book years and years ago. Hilarious - and then the movie with Hailey Mills I think? I'm sure I saw the movie on TV since the book came out the year I was born!
Jaime Contreras
This is a sweet coming of age in an all-girls Catholic high school comedy. Yes, it was the basis of the film, The Trouble With Angels.
Dana
This book has SUCH a twist ending! I never saw it coming. Perfect book for teenage girls everywhere.
Audrey
For some reason, I find books about nuns and convents and boarding schools really interesting. Although I know that there are a few schools that still have nuns in habit as teachers, it's pretty rare—and in a decidedly different world than it used to be. So to me, stories like this are time capsules of an extinct environment in a bygone era. That, and the fact that I love the movie The Trouble with Angels , which was based on this book, are the reasons I picked this up.

There are a lot of simil
Kellie
I quite enjoyed this read. It read more like a young adult novel than a memoir. Granted, a 1960s young adult novel, but a young adult novel none-the-less. :) It was dated, obviously, and there were some things mentioned in the story that I had to look up, but that didn't detract from the stories she told.

It was fun to read about the mischief her and Mary got into, and see how nicely they transformed her stories to the film.
Kristin Lyon
This should actually be 3.5 stars. It's not a favorite or an excellent read, but it's fun. Especially for having been written in the 60s. If I would have read this as middle schooler or high schooler I would have loved it! I think their hi jinks is fun, I really enjoyed Mother Superior and I think thAt it would actually be a much better movie than a book! (Not often I say that)
Stuart
An entertaining memoir of a childhood spent in at Catholic boarding school. Lite reading, fun and enjoyable and a glimpse into life a couple generations back. Found out about this book after watching the movie The Trouble With Angels. The movie follows pretty closely to the book.
Anna Allen
I read this over and over in my early teens. I really liked it. It's been years now since I picked it up.
Celia
favourite book as a teenager and ex convent girl!
Hilary
This humorous book, originally published under the title "Life With Mother Superior," is loosely based on the author's parochial school experiences. It is also the basis of the very funny Haley Mills film, "The Trouble With Angels," starring Rosalind Russell.
Maryhope
This is the book the film "The Trouble with Angels" was based on. Anyone who had a catholic education by the "Sisters" can relate to this book. A fun look back at school days in the catholic tradition.
Sharon Zink
Too bad she was so naughty. Well-written account of a girl attending a Catholic girls' school.
R. Honey
This book was right up my rebel without a cause alley self in the late 60 s!
Amanda
I read this a long time ago. I remember it was very very funny!
Jahlaune Hunt
fun book enjoyable light hearted well written fun
Rich Thometz
Rich Thometz marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Maria ( ZITA )  Silva
Maria ( ZITA ) Silva marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Jean Lewis
Jean Lewis marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Ginny
Ginny marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
  • O Ye Jigs and Juleps!
  • Von Ryan's Express
  • The Plague and I (Betty MacDonald Memoirs, #2)
  • The Vines of Yarrabee
  • The Family Nobody Wanted
  • Virgin Time: In Search of the Contemplative Life
  • The Nun's Story
  • Angel Unaware: A Touching Story of Love and Loss
  • The Scarlet and the Black: The True Story of Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty, Hero of the Vatican Underground
  • Life with Father
  • Priestblock 25487 : a memoir of Dachau
Son of the Martini Cookbook Thursdays 'til 9: A Novel Pecked to Death by Goslings Jane Trahey on women and power: Who's got it? How to get it? Harper's Bazaar: 100 Years of the American Female