Start by marking “Her Secret Desire (Lord Hawkesbury's Players #1)” as Want to Read:
Her Secret Desire (Lord Hawkesbury's Players #1)

Her Secret Desire (Lord Hawkesbury's Players #1)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  392 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Minerva Peabody needs a man. Unfortunately she picked the wrong one. The impoverished playwright has a dream to see her plays performed on stage but in Elizabethan England, not only are women considered the inferior sex, they simply do NOT write plays. Faced with rejection after rejection, she decides to take one more chance with the most desperate theater manager in Londo ...more
Kindle Edition
Published May 10th 2011 (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Her Secret Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Secret Desire

What a Woman Desires by Rachel BrimbleLove Unscripted by Tina ReberJude's Law by Lori FosterJust the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie JamesBreathing Room by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Romance with Actors/Actresses/Acting
56th out of 156 books — 46 voters
The Hesitant Heiress by Dawn CrandallCorruption by John O'RileyThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenPrincess of Glass by Jessica Day GeorgeClockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
Pink as a Fresh Rose
56th out of 150 books — 43 voters

More lists with this book...

April
An excellent, sweet romance. The first of Lord Hawkesbury's Players, stories of romance in and around a group of theater players with an amusing cameo by Shakespeare of course.

Warning for those who prefer 'fade to black' - two hot and sexy scenes are included in the tale.
Donna
I picked this as an audiobook because of the wonderful narrator, Justine Eyre. And she didn't disappoint - her narration was lovely. However, the book itself was entirely forgettable. I was hoping for something a little more immersive for the time period, but the book focused almost entirely on the relationship, missing numerous opportunities to provide some historical detail. It also seemed like the book took a left turn at some point during the editing process.

******* Mild Spoiler Alert ******
Eva
Thoroughly enjoyed this romantic romp. Devoured it in one sitting. Loved the hero. Enjoyed the wander through Elizabethan London and intend to look up the author's other works.
Bridgett
I could not get myself to finish this book. As much as I liked the characters, it was just a bit long winded....

I liked the premise of the book. I really did. I do love historical fiction. I do! Just not this one! It was soooooo boring at times. I tried hard to get past it, tried to give it another benefit of the doubt, another chapter and it might get interesting finally... nope...

I am really sorry and I usually try not to write bad reviews, but this book was one big snooze.

I got it free ( I bo
Amanda
In spite of its cheesy title and hilariously silly tagline, this book really surprised me! Not only is it well written, but it was thoroughly addictive to read. I was hooked hard and hooked early, and literally spent the majority of my days figuring out when I could carve out a few hours to read another chapter.

While Her Secret Desire doesn’t break any new ground, its two main characters are extremely compelling. I knew from the moment they met that interesting things were about to happen, and I
Tara Chevrestt
This was a very fun read with a spunky heroine and a unique story line.

It's the time of Shakespeare. Matter of fact, he's even a young actor/playwriter in this. A young woman, Minerva, writes poetry and plays in the flickering of her candlelight, but upon presenting it to a troupe manager, is told women are too dumb basically to write plays.

It's just not acceptable.

Enter Blake. The handsome privateer needs way into Hawkesburry's Players and happens to be in the right place at the right time. Min
Billie Jo
$5.00 Audible W/S deal Narrated by Justine Eyre. It was well worth the price and I really did enjoy listening to the audiobook but, in all honesty, it's one of those books that I will most likely quickly forget. It's simply a good story with a great narrator.
Daisey
This was a cute fluffy romance story set in Elizabethan England. The heroine, Min, is a playwright that can't get her plays performed and she finagles the hero, Blake, into pretending to be the author of her latest play. The plot is pretty straightforward. A lot of situations that are unlikely given the historical setting but, I was able to overlook them for the most part. I liked a lot of the supporting characters more than I did Min and Blake. I think this was a free download to my Kindle so I ...more
Michelle
Cute story, but the historical inaccuracies made me cringe, and I normally don't give a fig about those. Really, the meet and kiss on Day One, she uses the kiss to finish her play, and decides she needs more experience so Day Two they end up in bed together. This is so wrong for so many reasons, primarily the fact that they have known each other for (say it with me) TWO DAYS!! Not to mention the time period where women DID NOT even think of doing stuff like that within their father's hearing ran ...more
Sabrina Mathis
Fun quick read

this was a fun quick read. nice twist to regency novel. normally, it's an attempt to seduce and ruin the woman's family. appreciate the twist and strong female lead
This was a really poorly thought out book. Actually, perhaps the thought was good but the execution was bad. It was set in Elizabethan England, yet it actually read like 18th century. The plot was weak, and the characters not clearly drawn.

Min, the main character is a virtuous young lady who invites strangers into her bedroom in order to sleep with him so that she can write better plays. What? That is just not believable at all.

Ned, the boy next door who is panting to marry Min suddenly turns i
May 12, 2011 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Laura by: C.J. Archer
First things first: The author contacted me to see if I would review this (since I've enjoyed her previous work) I agreed and she sent me a copy.

Now onto the review:

I enjoyed this one quite a bit. I read it all in one sitting. The author really made you feel for the characters. However, I hated the antagonists more than I like the protagonists. I wanted to slap Min's father, throttle Style and stomp all over Ned. That being said, I did like Min and Blake, they seemed to connect from the first, I
Candace Grant
Perfect beach reading....

Recommended for a fun & relaxing read on a tropical beach. Looking forward to reading the rest of the books in this series.
A pretty good book over all, though slow at times. A little unbelievable at times, but nothing suspension of disbelief can't handle. My only real problem comes from the end of the book, which seems as though the author had tired of the story and was rushing to end it and tie things up in a neat package. Where a few parts of the story were slow, the end was a bit hurried, and I caught more than one typo in the last chapters.

I have to disagree with some reviewers who said that there were no hints
Leesa C. Lynch
Good

It was a good read had better but I also had worse it was not want I thought it would be
Linda Burns
Good solid historical romance. Love how Shakespear is one of the actors in the main character's plays.
Jenn
I am pretty sure that this is full of anachronisms, but it was a fun story as it was. I thought it would be awful, but it was amusing enough that I was thinking about it when I wasn't reading it, wondering what would happen next. The character of Min's father in particular was very interesting. And while it was clear that the author was setting up Alice to be a character who would get her own story next, I was okay with that, too. I would read another story in this series, definitely, the charac ...more
Sandra R
Love these Tudor novels by Ms Archer. Humorous and well written.
Riley
I liked this one very much! The characters are compelling and likeable. The theatrical setting is great fun and allows the author to introduce a famous playwright and imagine his life before he became popular. The plot, best described by the original title 'A Secret Life', provides the intrigue that keeps the reader hooked. I will be reading the other books in this series.
Read2review
Her Secret Desire is a very interesting concept, I love the idea of a women secretly working as a play right in Shakespeare’s time. I loved a lot of the writing. Some of what I didn’t like were some of the things the main character does and some of the lack of historical accuracy. I wasn’t sure how to feel about the main character. In a way she is interesting, but in another way I wasn’t sure if she was really believable.

Either way, I thought it was at least original, if not executed perfectly.
Wylaina
I happen to have won this book on this site. I'm not normally one to read a romance, but it's summer and I thought, "hey, it's free." I liked it! I was surprised that I liked it so much. The romantic bits were contrived, but overall it's a fun story. I really enjoyed that everything wasn't neat and clean at the end. I also liked the voice actress, Justine Eyre. Half of the enjoyment of an audiobook for me is the person who reads it. If you want something fun, historical, and and easy read, this ...more
Kaye
This book surprised me at how much I enjoyed it. The 660 page length seemed daunting at first but they just flew by. Although some of the scenarios are a bit hard to swallow, the story is still very entertaining.
Andrea
A sweet historical romance about a woman trying to follow her dreams and a society that doesn't approve. I found that the story was a bit repetitive at times but the author shows great potential!
Jealisa
Lovely story set in Victorian era about a woman playwriter which of course was unheard of. With mentions of Shakespeare, funny light hearted with a nice love story in twined with a view of history.
Dawn Bursey
a total fluff romance and loved every word of it. The main characters were likeable. I really am not that great at writting reviews but I know what I like. Looking forward to reading book 2.
Michelle Kelly
A provided an honest review for the author C.J. Archer.
Actual rating is 3.5

Check out my full review here:
Kate (Nomalicious Reads)
Sep 08, 2011 Kate (Nomalicious Reads) marked it as owned-to-read
Shelves: kindle, own
Currently free from Kindle, grab it while you can :D
Alyssa
This was moderately ok for a romance novel. The plot was somewhat interesting and it's always better to ignore how accurate these novels are (or are now)
WithaK
When can we get the rest of your books on Ibooks? I have been enjoying these books tremendously! Reading on my Iphone has made me a much more patient person.
Candace
Interesting if you enjoy period books. This book is based in Shakespeare's england so is certainly different from modern day. Still interesting.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 05, 2015 08:04AM
  • Legacy
  • Texas Hold Him
  • Through a Dark Mist (Robin Hood, #1)
  • Love's Magic (Boadicea, #1)
  • Heart of a Knight
  • Silken Threads (Wexford Family, #1)
  • Vanquished (The Roxbury Trilogy, #1)
  • Her Master's Touch
  • A Proper Companion (Regency Rakes, #1)
  • On Falcon's Wings
  • Love from the Ashes
  • Hawks Mountain
  • The Mistress' House
  • The Privateer
  • Fire Dance
  • Cry Uncle
  • Never a Bride
  • In the Garden of Temptation (Garden, #1)
C.J. Archer has loved history and books for as long as she can remember and feels fortunate that she found a way to combine the two with her historical romances. Under her other name of Carolyn Scott, she has published contemporary short stories in women's magazines on two continents including Take A Break, Woman's Day and That's Life.

She has at various times worked as a librarian, IT support per
More about C.J. Archer...

Lord Hawkesbury's Players (3 books)
  • Scandal's Mistress (Lord Hawkesbury's Players #2)
  • To Tempt the Devil (Lord Hawkesbury's Players #3)
The Medium (Emily Chambers Spirit Medium Trilogy #1) The Wrong Girl (The 1st Freak House Trilogy #1) The Paranormal 13 Honor Bound (The Witchblade Chronicles #1) Possession (Emily Chambers Spirit Medium Trilogy #2)