Start by marking “The Gladstone Bag (Kelling & Bittersohn, #9)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Gladstone Bag

Charlotte MacLeod

The Gladstone Bag (Kelling & Bittersohn #9)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  317 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Sarah Kelling's Aunt Emma leaps at the chance to stay at her old friend Adelaide's summer place, enjoying a quiet time repairing some stage jewelry while keeping an eye on the artists and writers who'll be occupying adelaide's six guest cottages. On the ferry, Emma's gladstone bag is temporarily stolen. Could someone have mistaken those junk jewels for real diamonds? She m ...more
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published January 29th 2001 by Books on Tape, Inc. (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Gladstone Bag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gladstone Bag

Donna
This was perfect for a summer day. Sarah and Max barely make an appearance; this story belongs to Emma Kelling, a relative of Sarah's who we've seen in several other books. I loved the setting in this one--summer on a small island off the coast of Maine, with lots of suspicious characters and oodles of lobster on the menu. I can feel the salt spray in my face...
Patti
I only read this once before, but I remember close to nothing about it. The cover also says "A Sarah Kelling Mystery", but Sarah (and Max) play almost no role in this book.

This book is Emma Kelling's book, an older widowed relative of Sarah's, who has played an active role in several earlier novels. In this book, Emma volunteers to substitute for a friend who hosts artists at a summer home off the coast of Maine. This is very much a locked room (island?) mystery; there are rumors of a pirate tre
Judy
Emma Kelling, a wealthy Boston widow over 60, agrees to substitute as hostess for an aged and ailing friend for the summer on the remote island of Pocapuk, Maine. Each summer her friend rents out tiny Pocapuk for an artist's retreat. This year, the group includes writers, illustrators, and a psychic and the group indicates to Emma that they are going to search for the long-rumored Pocapuk treasure. But then a stranger to the island is found dead, the psychic is drugged, and several people are as ...more
Delores Alger
pseud alissa craig
Maria
This book was a bit different with both Sarah and Max taking a back seat to Emma and Theonia Kelling. The two older women do a great job of continuing the Kelling mystery-solving. I had trouble figuring out the ages of many of the characters and really couldn't get a handle on Count Radunov at all, so he remains a mystery, but the two ladies solve the other mysteries in prime fashion.
Barbra
A very enjoyable quick read, with lots of clues to lead you to the wrong conclusion. This is not a stand-alone book, if you haven't read other Sarah Kelling mysteries you would not understand some of the main characters that they bring into this book. With that said, I do enjoy this series with all the oddball characters and strange conversations.
Susan
Nov 12, 2008 Susan rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cozy mystery fans
I get a kick out of some of Charlotte MacLeod's books - but some are a little too fey and whimsical for me. This one is close, as was "The Silver Ghost"; some good dialogue, quirky characters, etc., but it gets old before you get near the end! This one was a bit of a struggle to finish, but had some of her usual charm - a light, breezy, cozy read.
Sharla
This book was a joy to read. Published in 1989, but this kind of humorous mystery never goes out of style. Full of quirky characters and zany situations, this one was just the way I like my mysteries to be.
Lexi
I like MacLeod's detective couple, Sarah and Max Bittersohn, though they are only background in this tale. A nice cosy: interesting story, creative characters, and dangerous fun. Good read.
Paula
This is my favorite in the series for a while. I enjoyed the break from Sarah and Max and really enjoyed the Aunt Emma. Story was typical for the series but enjoyed the Emma as narrater.
Michele bookloverforever
cozy mystery involving sarah kelling and max. enjoying this series which I first read so many years ago, I cannot recall which year. enjoying rereading the series.
Kim
I just love Charlotte MacLeod and wish there were dozens more by her. This one doesn't have enough of the divine Sarah and Max, but I loved it anyway!
TJ
Dec 05, 2012 TJ rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Not a Sarah Kelling and Max Bitterson mystery. Focuses on Aunt Emma and she is not as compelling. So overall not a great book
Pam
Pam added it
Jul 30, 2015
Rachel Despins
Rachel Despins marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Marloes
Marloes marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Pat
Pat added it
Jul 17, 2015
  • Murder Goes Mumming
  • East of Peculiar (Hannah Garvey Mystery #1)
  • The Raven and the Nightingale (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #3)
  • Village Affairs (Fairacre, #13)
  • The Cold Blue Blood (Berger and Mitry, #1)
  • The Egyptian Cross Mystery (Ellery Queen #5)
  • Murder in the Blue Room (Eleanor Roosevelt, #8)
  • Owls Well That Ends Well (Meg Langslow, #6)
Naturalized US Citizen

Also wrote as Alisa Craig

Charlotte MacLeod, born in New Brunswick, Canada, and a naturalized U.S. citizen, was the multi-award-winning author of over thirty acclaimed novels. Her series featuring detective Professor Peter Shandy, America's homegrown Hercule Poirot, delivers "generous dollops of...warmth, wit, and whimsy" (San Francisco Sunday Examiner and Chronicle). But full
More about Charlotte MacLeod...

Kelling & Bittersohn (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Family Vault (Kelling & Bittersohn, #1)
  • The Withdrawing Room (Kelling & Bittersohn, #2)
  • The Palace Guard (Kelling & Bittersohn, #3)
  • The Bilbao Looking Glass (Kelling & Bittersohn, #4)
  • The Convivial Codfish (Kelling & Bittersohn, #5)
  • The Plain Old Man (Kelling & Bittersohn, #6)
  • The Recycled Citizen (Kelling & Bittersohn, #7)
  • The Silver Ghost (Kelling & Bittersohn, #8)
  • The Resurrection Man (Kelling & Bittersohn, #10)
  • The Odd Job (Kelling & Bittersohn, #11)
Rest You Merry (Peter Shandy, #1) The Family Vault (Kelling & Bittersohn, #1) The Silver Ghost (Kelling & Bittersohn, #8) The Withdrawing Room (Kelling & Bittersohn, #2) The Luck Runs Out (Peter Shandy, #2)