Start by marking “Stolen Woman (Stolen #1)” as Want to Read:
Stolen Woman (Stolen #1)

Stolen Woman (Stolen #1)

Human Trafficking… Asha knew nothing about it before meeting 16-year-old Rani, stolen from her home and forced into prostitution in Kolkata, India. Asha must help this girl escape, but Mark, a 3rd generation missionary, keeps warning her away from the red-light district and its workers. Will she ever discover why? And will they ever stop their intense arguments long enough ...more
Paperback, 2nd edition-, 278 pages
Published April 30th 2011 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Stolen Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stolen Woman

Leah Good
Human trafficking is a topic I avoided for years, afraid to allow the concept out of the pages of history. The idea of sex trafficking frightened me even more. After many conversations with my brother, who is rather passionate about the issue, I took the plunge and did some research. The results were sickening, just as I feared, but I'm glad to know. Just because things are difficult doesn't mean we should remain naive. This doesn't mean we should push ourselves to learn too much too soon, ...more
Linda
Apr 25, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
Even though I downloaded this book and the sequel, Stolen Child, on my Kindle, I was not sure if I would read them. The topic is a hard one to digest. But, I read it and I actually liked the story line. It wasn't what I expected it to be. While I have heard of women and children being abducted and sold into prostitution, I've honestly never thought much about it because it's a scary subject. Now I will be praying more for these innocents.
Apr 29, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
Stolen Woman by author Kimberly Rae is an insightful look into the world of human trafficking.

Asha is spending her summer in Kolkata, India interning at an orphanage, much like the one she was adopted from by her American parents. After a flurry of emails with Missionary Lloyd Stephens she is invited to come for two months over her summer vacation. In preparation for her trip she learns to speak Bengali, but when she arrives her Southern twang makes it impossible for people to understand her. Sh
Anna Tan
Apr 27, 2014 Anna Tan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Kimberly Rae tells an interesting story of Asha, who was adopted as a baby by American parents, and how she makes a faith-filled trip to volunteer at an orphanage in India, the home of her birth. Part of her mission is to find out more about her heritage, the other is to discover if God wants her to be a missionary.
There, she meets Mark Stephens, a third-generation missionary, and Rani, a girl who has been tricked into prostitution. Asha has to decide if she will obey the mission's directive no
Karin
Oct 03, 2013 Karin rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, kindle
Mixed sex trafficking, romance, and finding identity as an adoptee (with a little bit of control/abuse/rape thrown in). A few too many elements but the core of the story, Asha traveling to India and learning about the world of sex trafficking, was good. The other elements complicated it a bot too much for me though I am still interested enough in the core to consider reading more in the series.
E.A. Comiskey
Oct 26, 2016 E.A. Comiskey rated it it was amazing
This book was a powerful and eye-opening read! It is written from a Christian perspective, but I would recommend it to anyone who has a heart to help make this world a better, kinder, more peaceful place.
Emily Rachelle
Nov 02, 2013 Emily Rachelle rated it liked it
Many of you are aware of my recent interest in human trafficking activism. When Kimberly approached me with a request for a review of her book centered on this very real and prevalent modern issue, I jumped at the opportunity. I also used this book as one of the first for my new taking-notes-as-I-read system, which seems to be working out quite well.

My general thoughts of the first nine chapters were mixed. On the one hand, I absolutely adored the setting in India, and the characters each stood
Beth
Sep 05, 2013 Beth rated it did not like it
I ran across this book as I prepare to teach a class on trafficking in the fall. The subtitle on the kindle edition reads "What Would You Risk to Rescue a Trafficked Friend? Christian suspense/romance novel on International Human Trafficking." We can safely say that the words "romance" and "trafficking" do not belong anywhere near one another, and the book is as cringe inducing as that pairing would suggest. Asha, our heroine (the rescuer of course, though a guy gets to rescue her too) travels ...more
Anne Evans
I opened up this book because of the human trafficking themes. I also was very impressed by the authors' resume. Kimberly Rae has lived in Bangladesh, Uganda, Kosovo, and Indonesia. What I got when I opened the book was an intriguing look into the sights and sounds of India. Stolen Woman has a rich setting. You will feel like you are in India as you read about the village markets, "see" the exquisite saris, and hear about the struggle local missionaries encounter to help the trafficked women ...more
Carol Kean
Dec 04, 2012 Carol Kean rated it really liked it
Great descriptions of missionary life in a foreign land - and I love the revelation that Asha's desire to do good is more ego-driven than "what's best for the people I'm trying to serve." The romance angle was not the best part of the book, and Asha's obstinacy fit right in with the worst aspects of the romance genre. Misunderstandings, assumptions, leaping to the wrong conclusion -- drove me crazy that this girl would jeopardize her own safety (and that of whoever might have to come rescue her) ...more
Terri Nighswonger
Jun 17, 2013 Terri Nighswonger rated it it was amazing
Wow! I absolutely loved Stolen Woman by Kimberly Rae. I was captivated from the first pages and ended up reading all three books in the series. I couldn’t put them down. As the main character Asha stepped from the plane into India, I was taken there with her as the sights, sounds and smells were wonderfully brought to life.
The topic of trafficking is a heavy one but Kimberly masterfully wove the story with hope, love and Christ’s redemptive power throughout. My heart nearly stopped every time As
Amanda
Jul 16, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
This was an eye-opening book. We hear about human slavery today, usually sexual trafficking, but this book brought it to life in a realistic yet careful way. Asha, a college-aged woman, goes on a long-term mission trip to India over summer break. She is headstrong, impulsive, and sometimes down-right stupid, putting herself and others in danger as a result of her actions. But she has a good heart and learns much about God and herself during her time in India--as well as the dark side of life. ...more
Fran
This one got me from the start! I was scared though, I didn't want to read the human trafficking horror in depth. I had to trust that this was Christian fiction and that surely surely....

Kimberly Rae is a great storyteller; I could imagine what being in India was like. I think she broached the whole subject well, gave enough information but allowing the horrors of what must happen in "a room" be implied rather than described.

I have only just recently learnt (in real life) of the enormous numbers
Irene
Nov 22, 2014 Irene rated it liked it
Asha was adopted and lived in the United States. She wanted to return to her own country to find out about her other family. Things were not like she expected. She was staying on a missionary compound and they seemed secretive about the work they did. She left the compound occasionally to go to the market but one day she got lost. Asha knew nothing abut prostitution until she met Rani. Then she knew she had to rescue her. Mark, a third generation missionary keeps warning her to stay away from ...more
Margie Delamater
Feb 07, 2015 Margie Delamater rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, thriller
I'm not usually big on romance novels (I didn't realize that was a main component of this book), but this one is full of suspense. I got this book free on Amazon. I was attracted to it because the subject matter of human trafficking is unfortunately very current whether you are in India or America. Although it is Christian, the characters are not preachy or fake. I gave it 4 stars because it hooked me and drew me into the story. It was one that I couldn't put down! I'm reading the sequel now.
Diana Montgomery
Aug 20, 2013 Diana Montgomery rated it it was amazing

Stolen Woman
By Kimberly Rae

Kimberly has out done herself. When we think of trafficking we think of foreign countries like India. We need to open our eyes it is here in the U.S.A. also. What a amazing story very well written. It kept me on my edge. The book was exciting had suspense and romance. This book had all kinds of emotions working in me. I highly recommend this book. I know you will love it. God honoring also. I wish I could give more then 5 stars. Looking forward to the next book Stolen
Teena Stewart
May 30, 2013 Teena Stewart rated it really liked it
Asha, an American who was adopted from India has returned to India to serve on a short term mission at an orphanage. She hopes to discover more about her past while making a difference. What she finds is romance in a multi-layered country of diverse culture, great beauty, poverty and injustice. The author uncovers our eyes to see the horror of human trafficking. The reality with stay with you long after you close the book. I give this four out of five stars.
Mary-jo
Oct 14, 2015 Mary-jo rated it it was ok
Turns out this book was 75% love story and 25% about "Stolen Women". Very disappointed. The title and cover lead me to believe it was more about exposing the horrible reality of human trafficking. Also wasn't a smooth read, had to keep going back and rereading to make sense of the story. As an avid reader I found this book fluffy, no substance.
H.L. Wegley
Mar 10, 2013 H.L. Wegley rated it it was amazing
This was a great story and timely because it's subject, human trafficking, is pandemic. If you enjoy romantic suspense and likeable characters with strong Christian faith, you will want to read Stolen Woman. The point-of-view changes aren't always delimited well, but for a story this good and this moving, I am more than willing to overlook that.
Thea Nishimori
Nov 17, 2013 Thea Nishimori rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I gave up on reading it mid-way because the characters were stupid beyond words. The issue of human trafficking needs to be brought to the forefront of our consciousness, but this book does not do anyone justice.
Rachel
Mar 13, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a completely unique topic for me, but the author skilfully drew me into a story I couldn't have imagined. I highly recommend.
Somer John
May 17, 2012 Somer John rated it it was amazing
Great reads. Appreciated the gracious way the author brings to light the tragic topic of human trafficking.
Lillie
The storyline was compelling--human trafficking, missions, an adoptee searching for birthparents, romance combined into a story that I couldn't put down.
Katrina
Sep 27, 2013 Katrina rated it really liked it
Actually more like three and a half, so I wanted to round up? ;) I loved reading about India :). But it definitely was your typical Christian romance.
Donita Corman
Feb 05, 2014 Donita Corman rated it it was amazing
New author for me but an excellent book on human trafficking and rescue missions.Story also of a promising love. I highly recommend this book.
Karen
Sep 11, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

this was a great. book to read and hard to put down. I know Kimberly so that is an added reason to like this book. wonderful job Kimberly!
Diamond Jones
Nov 14, 2015 Diamond Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't know I had this book. I was skeptical at first to read it. Glad I did because it was a good inspirational story. It's sad though, that so many females go through this around the world.
Kimberly
Oct 05, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: free-kindle
Very good book. There is some great wisdom here that would be helpful for anyone who has ever wanted to the mission field. At times I was annoyed by the naivete of the main character.
Kierstin Weber
Jul 14, 2013 Kierstin Weber rated it really liked it
I really liked this book-- suspense, love and tragedy. So sad to know this really takes place in our world.
Kelly Cooper
Kelly Cooper rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Her Minnesota Man
  • A Gift of Thought (Tassamara, #2)
  • Dark Mind (Emily Stone #3)
  • Until Forever
  • Afterlife (The Dark Gifts, #1.5)
  • The Tidewater Sisters (Carolina #1.5)
  • A Time to Speak (Mama B, #1)
  • Anon (Anon Duology, #1)
  • Kingdom (Tiber City, #1)
  • Open Heart (Farsighted, #2)
  • Doppelganger Experiment
  • A Heartbeat Away
  • The Shadows (Shadows, #1)
  • Wampus Springs - Mark of the Wolf
  • Darkness in the Blood (Angel's Edge, #2)
  • Rose, Undercover (Dead Roses, #1.1)
  • Home Before Dark (Carolina Moon #1)
  • Sandwich, with a Side of Romance (Sandwich #1)

Amazon bestselling author Kimberly Rae has lived in Bangladesh, Uganda, Kosovo and Indonesia. She rafted the Nile River, hiked the hills at the base of Mount Everest, and ate cow brains, just to say she'd done it!

Rae has been published over 300 times and has work in 5 languages. Kimberly Rae’s articles have been published in BRIO, BRIO & Beyond, Proverbs 31 Woman Magazine, Mature Years, Diabet
More about Kimberly Rae...

Stolen (3 books)
  • Stolen Child: Do You Know Who You Are? (Stolen #2)
  • Stolen Future: Is Your Love Strong Enough? (Stolen #3)