Start by marking “Not For Parents Rome: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know” as Want to Read:
Not For Parents Rome: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know

Not For Parents Rome: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Lonely Planet: The world's leading travel guide publisher*

This is not a guidebook. And it is definitely 'not-for-parents'. It is the real, inside story about one of the world's most famous cities - Rome.

If you were a cat why would you want to live in Rome?
Would you want to go to the bathroom with dozens of other people?
Can you imagine eating a flamingo's tongue for lunch?
W
Published October 7th 2011 by Lonely Planet (first published August 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Not For Parents Rome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not For Parents Rome

Jason Golomb
"Dad...this is AWESOME" yelled my 11-year-old son from the back seat after taking his first look at at this new Lonely Planet guidebook. The book has almost 100 color pages full of photos, drawings and graphics that will catch and hold the interest of even the most apathetic teen.

I have two boys, 8 and 11, and both were immediately drawn into this guide book. After they read the guide, I asked them what they thought. Here are some of the highlights...

11-year-old:
"It was really interesting becaus
Clare Cannon
Tends to trivialise history and culture, and though much of the content is technically harmless other than its trivial tone, some is not really helpful for young readers, drawing attention to aspects of culture they don't really need to dwell on. (view spoiler) ...more
Catherine Aragon
Headed to Rome with your kids? Then I would buy them this book. It gives a great intro to Rome with tons of quirky facts with a cute design. I agree that it does tend to trivialize some parts of Rome's history (and some of the images are a bit violent). However, as a kids travel author (and Mom!), I feel that this book will get your young readers excited to go to Rome.
Leslie
This was a fun little glimpse at the city of Rome both ancient and modern. It's aimed at younger kids, so your 10 year old would probably enjoy it. Sure it over-simplifies, and doesn't give you any depth about anything. It is, however, colorful and lively.

And now I want to try fried artichokes...hopefully I can find that a little closer to Seattle than Rome.
Lana
Italy Book #2
Fun Facts!
Gladiators went to a school and specialized in 30 types of combat

Nuns wear different habits according to the saint their order is devoted to

Pope's guards wear Medici family colors

Romans imported huge Egyptian monuments

Romans had dog armies

Sometimes chariots were pulled by ostriches

Romans invented concrete and the catapult

Ligament- sauce made from fermented fish guts was "as common as ketchup"
Rachel
My least favorite in the series due to personal city preference. Still very worthwhile if you're headed to Rome and don't have time for a thicker book, and want some unique sightseeing ideas.
Jael
Colourful and energetic. I found the layout a little confusing because the subject for each page wasn't clearly defined (that is, put at the top left of the page!) Sometimes I had to hunt around the pages to find out what the topic was, and that was a little annoying.

Still, I enjoyed all the fast facts about Rome: historical and current-day tidbits.
Satia
This is a cute book but I had to get a second opinion to be sure how I would rate it. For more about the second opinion and my own, please visit my blog:

Atlantis
I bought this book for my kids when we were planning our trip to Italy. I thought it was a fun way to introduce them to Rome and show them that history and culture can be FUN!
Jaguar
Very good just like all the other Not for Parents books.
Sissi C.
Sissi C. marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Rosemary
Rosemary marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Tag
Tag marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Elizabeth F
Elizabeth F marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Lutfiye Eyuboglu
Lutfiye Eyuboglu marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Not For Parents London: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know Not For Parents Paris: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know Lonely Planet Not For Parents Paris Londres: Tudo o que você sempre quis saber Lonely Planet Not For Parents New York