Start by marking “Genesis Alpha” as Want to Read:
Genesis Alpha

Genesis Alpha

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  278 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Josh worships his older brother, Max. They look alike, they talk alike, and they both have the same interests, including their favorite massively multiplayer online role-playing game, Genesis Alpha. But Josh and Max have an even deeper connection. Because Josh was born for a reason. It was Josh's stem cells, harvested when Josh was newly born, that saved his dying older br...more
Published April 26th 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Genesis Alpha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Genesis Alpha

khcpl teen scene
Josh and his brother Max have always been close. He was born to save Max’s life when cancer was killing him. Josh admires his brother and is similar to him in many ways. They look similar, they both share an interest in the same online video game, Genesis Alpha, they even meet online to play while Max is in college. Until one day when Max doesn’t show up in Genesis Alpha, and Josh finds out it is because his brother has been arrested for the brutal murder of a college girl. Josh can’t believe th...more
MockingJay

Je crois que c’est le livre dont la chronique va me donner le plus de fil à tordre !
Je ne sais pas par où commencer, je vais essayer de structurer un minimum, mais je ne vous promets rien.

Premièrement je ne suis pas certaine d’avoir compris le but de l’histoire que le synopsis résume plutôt bien.
Je pense que l’auteur a voulu trop en faire. Quand on sait que le livre est destiné à un public jeune (Age du personnage principal, vocabulaire utilisé), je ne c...more
David
Melissa
Jaylea
Josh's whole world changes when his brother, Max, is arrested for murder. Then the younger daughter of the murder victim shows up in his house taunting him. As Josh digs through the RPG his brother would play with him, he tries to figure out if his brother could be guilty and come to terms with his life.

TW: Do not read this book if depictions of self harm trigger or disturb you.

SPOILERS BELOW

The book had a lot of potential plotwise. Josh's best friend sees him more as a news story and the media...more
Kyle
What an intensely disappointing story line, such great potential totally drawn out with a terrible conclusion. The story consists of Josh and Max, two brothers who share some interesting connections (I won't spoil it for you) and involves a taste of murder and conviction. The two share time together on a popular RPG called "Genesis Alpha" (role-playing game) Max is taken into custody and on trial for the murder of a girl he claims never to have known. With ethical subjects regarding bio-scienti...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

There's a quote on the front of GENESIS ALPHA from author Kenneth Oppel: "Dark, dangerous, and utterly riveting." I couldn't agree more. The words "a thriller" are what convinced me to pick up the book; the fact that I was so deeply engrossed in the story and superb writing were what kept me reading for the next few hours as I devoured it in one sitting.

Josh is a typical teen who isn't actually, well, typical. Although he's like any number of teen boys in that...more
Gabby
Ann
Ages 11+ 13-year-old Josh's college-age brother Max has just been arrested for the vicious murder of a beautiful co-ed. Even though he's older, the brothers have always been close, spending lots of time together in the online RPG Genesis Alpha. Their connection is especially strong because Max's life was saved by Josh, a "designer baby" whose birth was planned so that his stem cells could be used to cure Max's cancer. If Max is really a murderer, does this mean Josh is somehow responsible? When...more
Nick
I missed this one when it came out, and just stumbled across it. The novel's premise is deceptively simple, and that's a theme...nothing is quite what it appears to be.

A young teen adored his older brother, and they shared a fascination with a popular online game. The younger brother had been born for the purpose of saving the older brother's life, with a stem cell donation, and it had worked. The older brother survived, and everyone lived happily ever after...until the older brother was arreste...more
Marya
Yes, it's science fiction, but as others have noted, it's also a first class thriller. Like all good science fiction, it's driven by a larger than life question. The author neither answers this question nor does she get too didactic with her characters.

Mom and Dad in particular are well drawn. They are parents first and foremost, but they are also quite competent in their professional lives. That means they are able to act both emotionally AND logically in the story. That seems far more realist...more
Laura Madsen
YA thriller with some bioethics thrown in.
Madeleine
TCL Call #: YA MICHAELS

Although this is a Young Adult book, I would highly recommend it to any reader who loves the “what if this happened to me?” questions. It’s a dark and disturbing look into one kid’s struggle with good and evil. But this isn’t just some out-there in the big bad world idea of good and evil, this is in his face and in his family and in his genes. Or is it? That’s the fascinating twist on ethics and family. Not to be missed.

Madeleine

Posted in Madeleine, Fiction, Reader's Advis...more
Christie
I started reading this through my teen fiction book club. It was interesting enough so I picked it up from the library. It's a very fast read; I read it in less than an hour. I liked some of the philosophical questions it raised, although I had to say that there were a few parts that were over the top. Wish there had been more resolution at the end about what happens between the two brothers, but it probably would have been kind of hard to do so without dragging it on endlessly.
TeenFiction Teton County Library

Madeleine - 5 stars
AdultFiction Teton County Library

Madeleine - 5 stars
Charles Phillips
Terry
In the era of cyberstalkers, this book is an interesting read. The author takes on other issues as well, including the cloning of humans to be used for cures. I perpetually felt sorry for the main character, who is one of the few truly "innocent" parties in the book, but even he has his secrets. The story sometimes got a little esoteric, but it's relatively short and should appeal to sci-fi and fantasy fans.
Jenny
Ty G
Genesis Alpha wasn’t that good of a book. It really had no action or any good parts to it. It was mostly just a story will no real plot. The story is just telling of what happened when one of the characters brothers gets sent to jail, for killing someone. The author could of added more events in the book. I feel that he should of also added some more action parts to it.
Ryan
Dec 09, 2010 Ryan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
"GREAT BOOK"-Ryan Bucy
..Its about a boy whos older brother goes on trial for murder.But his little brother thinks he didnt do it.So the whole book is full of drama and well really realistic and a girl name racheal comes and really turns this story upside down.Who turns out to be the sister of the girl who his brother might have murdered.I have read this like four times.
Tiboux
« Si vous êtes tentés par ce roman, ne vous fiez pas à mon avis car il ne reflète pas totalement ce que je ressens. Il y a une partie de moi qui reconnaît la qualité de ce récit ainsi que tous ses atouts. Mais l'autre partie de moi est complètement passé à côté de cette découverte... » Lire ma chronique → http://bookmetiboux.blogspot.fr/2013/...
Karen
Dark, suspenseful book about two brothers who are obsessed with an online multi-player video game called Genesis Alpha. The game is exciting - but their real world is even more intense - especially when one of the boys is charged with murder. This book surprised me. I thought I knew where it was going - then - BAM! Highly recommended.
Brandi
This novel was outstanding! Rune Michaels examines the morality of video games and stem cell use in a way that does not bore you to tears and meshes them together in a clear, concise manner. Josh is such a real character who invites you to uncover secrets of his life along with him.

Can't say enough. Everyone must read this book!
Collmalston
Genesis Alpha was suspensful and it keept my attention. I would recomend it to someone who likes mysteries or fiction books.My favorite part of the book is in about the middle and end. My least favorite part of the book is the beggining.I rated as i did because it had a great structure and the ideas in the book come to gether perfect.
Hilary
When Max is accused of a brutal murder, Josh begins to question how well he really knows his older brother and even how well he knows himself. Fast paced and exciting, a great read for kids who like plot heavy material. Not for the faint of heart as brutal violence is discussed, as well as ethical discussions about cloning.
Sara
A really interesting book -- more idea driven than plot driven, I think it's interesting that it is subtitled "a thriller". It's really about what makes someone good vs. evil, and a has a lot of interesting ideas about genetics and choice vs. inherited traits. Very different and unusual.
Alex
A clever look at genetic research is the background theme for this book about growing up and trying to fit in. Josh's older brother is accused of a crime, and as their family deals with, Josh begins to learn more about himself and begins to question where he comes from and his own purpose.
Meredith
The pacing of the reveals in this book was spot on - a slim volume but brings up some complex ideas (without resolution) in conversations that adults might not have the patience for, but many teens would love to think about. Obviously a contrived plot, but a thrilling read nonetheless.
Stacy
Aug 13, 2012 Stacy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Enjoy this much more than I expected. Well-written in a clear, simple style that will be accessible to a wide range of middle-grade readers; author handles contemporary tech elements in a way that feels realistic without dating the book too badly. Good blend of mystery and philosophy.
  • The Revolution of Sabine
  • My Life as a Rhombus
  • Bone by Bone by Bone
  • Paranoid Park
  • Bucking the Sarge
  • Fall  (Witch Season, #2)
  • A Thousand Never Evers
  • The Diary of Pelly D
  • The Chaos Code
  • Bunker 10
  • Truth or Dare
Rune lives in Reykjavík with her husband, their daughter and their two cats, trying hard not to live a life out of one of her books.
More about Rune Michaels...
Fix Me The Reminder Nobel Genes La voix derrière la porte