Parenting for a Peaceful World

Parenting for a Peaceful World

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  20 reviews
"Parenting for a Peaceful World" is a fascinating look at how child-rearing customs have shaped societies and major world events. This completely updated and revised edition reveals how children adapt to and are influenced by different parenting styles and how safeguarding their emotional development is the key to creating a more peaceful, harmonious, and sustainable world...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Longueville Media (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Parenting for a Peaceful World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parenting for a Peaceful World

Willow
This book has a beautiful premise. Robin Grille’s goal is to get people to be nicer to their children, and in turn he believes it will bring about world peace. It’s a lovely idea.

Parenting for a Peaceful World starts out with the grim and grisly history of childhood. Grille details the high infanticide in ancient Rome and other cultures, the high numbers of abandoned children left to die in orphanages, and the abusive corporal punishment used in schools, churches and in the home. He brings up f...more
Julie
This book is a bit of a mixed bag. It provides a short history of child rearing and talks about the psychological impact that rearing had on the child and on the community. Especially how child rearing improves so does society in general. The second part of the book focuses on the impact of our current child rearing practices. I found this section very challenging as a mother. The book states that children shouldn't be left to cry as it may if it happens repeatedly damage the child's emotional g...more
Frank Jude
Whoa! What an eye-opening read this book turned out to be. The mostly unknown history of child-rearing and how different modes of parenting have impacted civilization was something I'd not been exposed to before. In the introductory first part of this tome, Grille explains how the progress in child-rearing over time has led to social and cultural evolution.

After this context is offered, Part Two begins some of the most difficult reading (not in difficult to grasp, but difficult to simply become...more
Sese
I found the history of child rearing quite disturbing. Overall, I really liked this book. It really makes you think about the ramifications of how you speak, treat and nurture your child. A very good read.
Dawn
I highly recommend this book. While I think the title sounds like it is for one of those how-to manuals, this book is anything but that. It is a perspective on peace and civilization that I have never thought of before. I recommend this book not just to parents but to anyone who has ever been a child, or has any interest in history, sociology, or psychology. I enjoy finding new insights and having more of my automatic assumptions brought to light, to realize you have a choice where you never eve...more
Scribble Orca
Oct 15, 2010 Scribble Orca rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids, parents-to-be, teachers, anyone with a responsibility for interacting with developing egos
Ever wondered why you keep doing something you know is just B-A-A-D for you, and you want desperately to stop and can't?

Ever thought about why you keep prostrating yourself before the alter of someone's approval, and can't see your own self-worth?

Ever considered how adults use power and fear as a method of persuasion to keep kids under control?

What might all that mean for the emotional development of humans as individuals and as a society?

Read this book, well researched, compassionately written,...more
Kristina
Totally changed my views on how to go about my role as a parent. This is a game changer. How we parent our children completely affects society as a whole. Definitely not a how to book but it answers all the whys. Every parent should read this book. It's hard to read about children suffering: but sometimes we need the hard reality to make us change.
Sally
Mar 15, 2009 Sally marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
This book is self-published in Australia, and not available in the US, so I don't know how to get hold of it (for reasonable $). Try ILL first.
Available for no less than $30 before shipping in the US. Described as "harrowing and disturbing" in its "expose on children's treatment," I think I'll enjoy his second book more.... Someday.
Melony
Feb 25, 2011 Melony is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
25 Feb 2011
the history of child-rearing is heart-breaking and I skipped much of it.
I am hopeful that parenting will continue to improve.
I look forward to reading about how to fix the mistakes I've made with my kids as their Authoritarian mom...as I transform into an Authoritative, helping mom instead. :)
Cass
I like Robin Grille and would recommend "Heart to Heart Parenting" to any new parent. This book was more of a discussion about parenting practices over the last millenium... and it was fascinating.

Scary, dark, shocking... and fascinating.
Jaq
I read this book through the pregnancy and birth of my only child. It has influenced my parenting for the better, a truly inspirational manual for new parents and parents to be.

Change the world by changing how you parent.....
Douwe Van
One of the most important books I have ever read - a must read for all parents or prospective parents who seriously want to give their children the best. Highly authoritative and excellently researched.
Rlburch13
This book helped me reframe my approach to parenting. The first chapters were difficult because of the violence of history in child-rearing, but the book is filled with challenge and hope.
Paul
Really all of the advances in the understanding of childhood have happened in the last two hundred years. Good book for all with insight into the process of becoming human.
Claire
I've just started reading this book with a book group and have high hopes for both the information conveyed within and potential emotional development as a parent.
Alyssa
I really wanted to like this book but it was too slow-going and heavy for me. Maybe I'll go back and skim later.
Claudia
The best parenting book I have read. Focuses on the research-based merits of parenting in a gentle and non-violent way.
Ed
Some interesting point but the connection between peace and being nice to your kids was tenuous at best
Leslie
May 01, 2009 Leslie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
trying trying trying...so much to digest
Messyfish
The best parenting book I have read!
Lisa Nouwen
Lisa Nouwen marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Averil
Averil marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Gabby
Gabby marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Mary Contrary
Mary Contrary marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Valerie Campbell
Valerie Campbell marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Felicity
Felicity is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Robin Grille is a father, a psychologist in private practice with twenty years' experience, and a parenting educator. His articles on parenting and child development have been widely published in Australia and overseas. Robin's first book: 'Parenting for a Peaceful World' (2005) has received international acclaim and led to speaking engagements around Australia, USA and New Zealand. 'Heart to Hear...more
More about Robin Grille...
Heart to Heart Parenting Heart-To-Heart Parenting Heart-to-Heart Parenting Heart to Heart Parenting: Empower Your Child Empower Yourself Heart to Heart Parenting: Nurturing Your Child's Emotional Intelligence From Conception to School Age