Start by marking “Parenting for a Peaceful World” as Want to Read:
Parenting for a Peaceful World

Parenting for a Peaceful World

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  136 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
"Parenting for a Peaceful World" is a fascinating look at how child-rearing customs have shaped societies and major world events. This completely updated and revised edition reveals how children adapt to and are influenced by different parenting styles and how safeguarding their emotional development is the key to creating a more peaceful, harmonious, and sustainable world ...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Longueville Media (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Parenting for a Peaceful World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parenting for a Peaceful World

Willow
May 25, 2013 Willow rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book has a beautiful premise. Robin Grille’s goal is to get people to be nicer to their children, and in turn he believes it will bring about world peace. It’s a lovely idea.

Parenting for a Peaceful World starts out with the grim and grisly history of childhood. Grille details the high infanticide in ancient Rome and other cultures, the high numbers of abandoned children left to die in orphanages, and the abusive corporal punishment used in schools, churches and in the home. He brings up f
Janette

Robin Grille the Australian author of Parenting for a Peaceful World writes from a background as a psychologist, psychotherapist, husband, father and musician. He has published about child development, parenting issues and family relationships.

Grille passionately believes that how we raise our children today has a profound effect on how these children will function as adults.

Parenting for a Peaceful World is written in a clear but dense style that likely reflects Grille’s academic background.
Julie
Dec 26, 2012 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
This book is a bit of a mixed bag. It provides a short history of child rearing and talks about the psychological impact that rearing had on the child and on the community. Especially how child rearing improves so does society in general. The second part of the book focuses on the impact of our current child rearing practices. I found this section very challenging as a mother. The book states that children shouldn't be left to cry as it may if it happens repeatedly damage the child's emotional g ...more
Frank Jude
Whoa! What an eye-opening read this book turned out to be. The mostly unknown history of child-rearing and how different modes of parenting have impacted civilization was something I'd not been exposed to before. In the introductory first part of this tome, Grille explains how the progress in child-rearing over time has led to social and cultural evolution.

After this context is offered, Part Two begins some of the most difficult reading (not in difficult to grasp, but difficult to simply become
Leif
Mar 31, 2015 Leif rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Required reading for every human.
We cannot understand war unless we look at history. We cannot understand violence unless we look at the history of child rearing practices.

As essential as learning how to read and write is our ability to get along with one another, I thing it was Daniel Goldman who called our brain a "social engine". In order to progress to the best of our abilities we need to get along with one another in a collaborative fashion. A big part of this learning happens in childhood
Sese
Aug 01, 2010 Sese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the history of child rearing quite disturbing. Overall, I really liked this book. It really makes you think about the ramifications of how you speak, treat and nurture your child. A very good read.
Dawn
Jul 29, 2011 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this book. While I think the title sounds like it is for one of those how-to manuals, this book is anything but that. It is a perspective on peace and civilization that I have never thought of before. I recommend this book not just to parents but to anyone who has ever been a child, or has any interest in history, sociology, or psychology. I enjoy finding new insights and having more of my automatic assumptions brought to light, to realize you have a choice where you never eve ...more
Scribble Orca
Oct 15, 2010 Scribble Orca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids, parents-to-be, teachers, anyone with a responsibility for interacting with developing egos
Ever wondered why you keep doing something you know is just B-A-A-D for you, and you want desperately to stop and can't?

Ever thought about why you keep prostrating yourself before the alter of someone's approval, and can't see your own self-worth?

Ever considered how adults use power and fear as a method of persuasion to keep kids under control?

What might all that mean for the emotional development of humans as individuals and as a society?

Read this book, well researched, compassionately written,
Kristina
Jun 29, 2013 Kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally changed my views on how to go about my role as a parent. This is a game changer. How we parent our children completely affects society as a whole. Definitely not a how to book but it answers all the whys. Every parent should read this book. It's hard to read about children suffering: but sometimes we need the hard reality to make us change.
Sally
Mar 15, 2009 Sally marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
This book is self-published in Australia, and not available in the US, so I don't know how to get hold of it (for reasonable $). Try ILL first.
Available for no less than $30 before shipping in the US. Described as "harrowing and disturbing" in its "expose on children's treatment," I think I'll enjoy his second book more.... Someday.
Melony
Feb 25, 2011 Melony is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
25 Feb 2011
the history of child-rearing is heart-breaking and I skipped much of it.
I am hopeful that parenting will continue to improve.
I look forward to reading about how to fix the mistakes I've made with my kids as their Authoritarian mom...as I transform into an Authoritative, helping mom instead. :)
Cass
May 09, 2014 Cass rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Robin Grille and would recommend "Heart to Heart Parenting" to any new parent. This book was more of a discussion about parenting practices over the last millenium... and it was fascinating.

Scary, dark, shocking... and fascinating.
Jaq
Jun 18, 2013 Jaq rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I read this book through the pregnancy and birth of my only child. It has influenced my parenting for the better, a truly inspirational manual for new parents and parents to be.

Change the world by changing how you parent.....
Douwe Van
Oct 10, 2012 Douwe Van rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most important books I have ever read - a must read for all parents or prospective parents who seriously want to give their children the best. Highly authoritative and excellently researched.
Rlburch13
Aug 06, 2012 Rlburch13 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book helped me reframe my approach to parenting. The first chapters were difficult because of the violence of history in child-rearing, but the book is filled with challenge and hope.
Paul
Nov 30, 2009 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really all of the advances in the understanding of childhood have happened in the last two hundred years. Good book for all with insight into the process of becoming human.
Claire
Jun 19, 2009 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've just started reading this book with a book group and have high hopes for both the information conveyed within and potential emotional development as a parent.
Alyssa
I really wanted to like this book but it was too slow-going and heavy for me. Maybe I'll go back and skim later.
Claudia
Oct 31, 2012 Claudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best parenting book I have read. Focuses on the research-based merits of parenting in a gentle and non-violent way.
Ed
May 01, 2012 Ed rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting point but the connection between peace and being nice to your kids was tenuous at best
Leslie
May 01, 2009 Leslie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
trying trying trying...so much to digest
Messyfish
Oct 11, 2009 Messyfish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best parenting book I have read!
Hannah Brown
Hannah Brown is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Christo
Christo marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Ventzi
Ventzi marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
River Chan
River Chan marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Kavitha
Kavitha marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Linn Kelly
Linn Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
  • Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: The Wisdom and Science of Gentle Choices in Pregnancy, Birth, and Parenting
  • Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves
  • The Continuum Concept: In Search Of Happiness Lost
  • The Attachment Connection: Parenting a Secure and Confident Child Using the Science of Attachment Theory
  • Raising Lifelong Learners: A Parent's Guide
  • The Science of Parenting
  • Good Nights: The Happy Parents' Guide to the Family Bed (and a Peaceful Night's Sleep!)
  • Killing Monsters: Our Children's Need For Fantasy, Heroism, and Make-Believe Violence
  • Respectful Parents, Respectful Kids: 7 Keys to Turn Family Conflict into Cooperation
  • Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene
  • Caring for Infants with Respect
  • The Aware Baby
  • Our Babies, Ourselves: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Parent
  • Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense
  • Escape From Childhood
  • The Unschooling Unmanual
  • Connection Parenting: Parenting Through Connection Instead of Coercion, Through Love Instead of Fear
  • Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
Robin Grille is a father, a psychologist in private practice with twenty years' experience, and a parenting educator. His articles on parenting and child development have been widely published in Australia and overseas. Robin's first book: 'Parenting for a Peaceful World' (2005) has received international acclaim and led to speaking engagements around Australia, USA and New Zealand. 'Heart to Hear ...more
More about Robin Grille...

“Children are not adults-in-the-making; they are not clay to be molded. They are children, and that is that. Our task is to wonder at them, to learn about ourselves through our relationships with them. It is also important to remind ourselves that children are not “them”—they are “us.” We have felt what they feel, yearned for what they yearn for—and if we are honest with ourselves… we still do. So,” 0 likes