Start by marking “When Love is Enough (The Brotherhood Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
When Love is Enough (The Brotherhood Series, #1)

When Love is Enough (The Brotherhood Series #1)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  206 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Lady Lydia Landwell has given her heart to the only man she will ever love. But when Gabriel Talbot destroys that love, she vows she will never make such a mistake again -- until he returns from the Crimean War more dead than alive. In a cruel twist, Liddy realizes she's the only person who can pull him back from the grave -- even though allowing him back into her life mig ...more
Published December 8th 2010 by Prairie Muse Publishing (first published November 17th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about When Love is Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Love is Enough

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
WHEN LOVE IS ENOUGH, the first in The Brotherhood Series by Laura Landon, is a captivating story which brings together all the elements of a truly memorable historical romance.

Gabriel (Gabe) Talbot and Lydia (Liddy) Landwell are deeply in love and when his friends, her brothers Harrison Landwell (Viscount Rundmoor) and Austin Landwell, are summoned to a meeting with their father, the Earl of Etherington, Gabe accompanies them intending to ask him for his daughter's hand in marriage. But he finds
BookMaven
Mar 23, 2013 BookMaven rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historical romance lovers and adventure lovers
Recommended to BookMaven by: DailyCheapReads.com
Lady Lydia Landwell thought she had an understanding with Gideon Talbot. She thought they had plans to marry and that they were both very much in love, but her father said she must marry the Duke of Chisolmwood's son. When she next saw Gideon, she told him he must speak to her father and explain that they were in love and that she could not marry another. Gideon merely said he could not marry her anymore, because the marriage contract with the Duke's son had already been signed by their fathers. ...more
Kathleen J
I read a lot of historic romances and, hey, they are rarely subtle. But I like them. The characters and dialogue in this one, however, are wooden. The H is so noble and heroic as to be ridiculous. If this were a movie I would say it was overacted but I don't know what to call that in a novel. Tear-jerker perhaps? And, I found the brothers unpleasant. "Selling" their sister without even asking her? I found the writing so off-putting that, somewhere in the second chapter, I started skimming the st ...more
Shelley
Excellent book. Well worth the read. Totally heartwrenching love story, total tear jerker. Get your tissues out. It should be retitled "When Love Isn't Enough". It is definately well worth the time it takes you to read it though. Excellent story, great characters, a little history thrown in, and some intrigue. You will like the ending though, it is quite unexpected. There are quite a few twists and turns in this book. It is a love story, but they also go on a mission through France which makes t ...more
Mehvash
May 18, 2011 Mehvash rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Never thought someone could love someone enough to go through so much pain. The book was really predictable, but a great book to read. I'm amazed by Gabe and the things he has done, throughout the book I think he is the one who really did sacrifice. With other characters they were going through pain, but Gabe would actually do somthing about it. Like I said nice book to read, also a easy read.
May
3.5

I liked that its really fast paced

The hero broke my hearts many times :" he did such a noble thing.

As for the heroine, I think if someone did like this to me I would be hurt and less drawn to him in the future but this was not her case she constantly think I can't forgive him, I don't love him anymore and yet she keeps going to him !!!
Katherine
This is a quick book that is packed full of love, longing and adventure. The pace moved nicely, my only quip is that the author repeated stories and phrases over and over. I got it the first time and by the 4th I just skimmed. I was nicely surprised with the depth of characters and there were even some surprises I hadn't figured out.
Diane Peterson
Generally, a good book. The story had an interesting premise where the H gives up the h (and hurts her) in order to financially save her family. The conflict/misunderstanding between them drug on a bit, but it all reached a satisfying ending. Interesting historical info included.
Laurinda
I won this one on giveaways! It was a light read and intriguing enough to get me hooked. I thought that it was a bit too repetitive at times. There were also times when it seemed to border on something like a romance novel, which I'm not really into, but other than that it was good :)
Dawn
Sep 18, 2011 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-freebies
Good story. I really liked the characters, Gabe and Liddy, and also the secondary characters. The emotional angst was good and you just felt the emotions that Gabe and Liddy had for each other. The ending came with a nice twist. Enjoyable story and I'd read more by this author.
Marilyn
Feb 10, 2012 Marilyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: victorian, kindle
Takes place during and after the Crimean War. Forgettable characters. Forgettable plot. Meh.
Sarah Peralta
Oct 25, 2011 Sarah Peralta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this author and can't wait for the next brotherhood installment.
Glenda Alexander
Sounds like a book I would really enjoy.
Rosa
Nov 06, 2013 Rosa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good story. I loved it.
Dyanne
Dec 25, 2011 Dyanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Cute chick lit.
Sarah Setliff
Sarah Setliff marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Musing Bookworm
Musing Bookworm marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Betty Rheaume
Betty Rheaume rated it really liked it
May 13, 2016
Mary Lynde
Mary Lynde marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Elley25
Elley25 rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
Susan  Davis
Susan Davis rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Dani
Dani rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Mo
Mo marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was ok
Apr 09, 2016
Ritika Chhabra
Ritika Chhabra marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Peggy
Peggy marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
  • Vanquished (The Roxbury Trilogy, #1)
  • A Winter Ballad
  • Texas Hold Him
  • With this Kiss
  • The Mudlark
  • The Letter (Reformed Rakes, #1)
  • Simmer All Night (Bad Luck Abroad, #1)
  • A Hint of Wicked (James Family, #1)
  • Silken Threads (Wexford Family, #1; Lords of Conquest, #1)
  • Seductive as Flame (Bruton Street Bookstore, #4)
  • A Knight's Reward (Knight's, #2)
  • Her Secret Desire (Lord Hawkesbury's Players #1)
  • Colby's Child
  • To Seduce an Earl (Seduction, #1)
  • One Night Scandal (The Spinster Club, #5)
  • The Morning Side of Dawn (Holt, #3)
  • In the Garden of Temptation (Garden, #1)
  • A Regency Holiday
Laura Landon taught high school for ten years before leaving the classroom to open her own ice-cream shop. As much as she loved serving up sundaes and malts from behind the counter, she closed up shop after penning her first novel. Now she spends nearly every waking minute writing, guiding her heroes and heroines to find their happily ever afters.

She is the author of more than a dozen historical n
More about Laura Landon...

The Brotherhood Series (2 books)
  • Broken Promise (The Brotherhood Series #2)