Start by marking “Llama Llama Home with Mama” as Want to Read:
Llama Llama Home with Mama

Llama Llama Home with Mama (Llama Llama)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  1,786 ratings  ·  154 reviews
Llama Llama, morning light.
Feeling yucky, just not right.
Down to breakfast.
Tiny sneeze.
Sniffle, snuffle.
Tissues, please!

Ah-choo! Uh-oh, Llama Llama's nose is feeling tickly, his throat is feeling scratchy, and his head is feeling stuffy. Back to bed, no school today for Llama Llama! Instead, he's home with Mama. By lunchtime, though, he's beginning to feel a tiny bit bette
Published August 23rd 2011 by Viking Juvenile (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Llama Llama Home with Mama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Llama Llama Home with Mama

Llama Llama Red Pajama by Anna DewdneyLlama Llama Time to Share by Anna DewdneyLlama Llama Home with Mama by Anna DewdneyLlama Llama Mad at Mama by Anna DewdneyLlama Llama Misses Mama by Anna Dewdney
Preschool-'L'
3rd out of 12 books — 5 voters
Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussIsh by Peter H. Reynolds
After School Club Books
15th out of 97 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Sarah Sammis
Sep 01, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sarah by: my daughter
Shelves: pc, read-in-2012
Llama Llama Home with Mama by Anna Dewdney is the fifth of the Llama Llama books and the first one I've read with my daughter. I don't know if she's been reading them at school or just heard about them from her friends, but she insisted on adding this volume to her collection of books.

Llama Llama wakes up not feeling right. After a failed attempt at breakfast, Mama Llama sends him back to bed. He's staying home from school today. Mama knows just what he needs and later when she catches the same
Luann
Poor Llama Llama is feeling sick, so he stays home with Mama Llama. Before the day is over, Mama Llama also starts to sneeze and have a sore throat. Luckily, Llama Llama knows just what to do! My favorite part of this one: the word "shnorltes." Too fun! I highly recommend this series for bedtime read-alouds and/or beginning readers. And of course, this is the perfect book to read when you are feeling under the weather and need a story to cheer you up!
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney

Llama Llama Home with Mama
Anna Dewdney
Scholastic
2011

This review is also posted on Get Kids to Read book review blog.

Anna Dewdney has a very popular series, with her Llama Llama series. Beginning with Llama Llama Red Pajama, this young llama has won the hearts of children under 6 as the story was read to them by a parent, librarian, or teacher. Llama Llama Home with Mama, continues that tradition.
Llama Llama is sick with a bad cold. So he will not be going to scho
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This series is a huge hit on our house. Each of the books are fun, easy to read and just an all around enjoyable books. Anna's newest release is llama llama home with mama, and it's just as heart warming as the rest of the books in the series.

Little llama is home sick from school. His mama does all she can to make him feel better. After lots of loving from his mama, some rest and some yummy food, he starts to feel better. Just as he gets his energy back, he finds his mama isn't feeling too good.
I love all of the "Llama llama" series of books. I love the way this book rhymes, and the way the pictures are illustrated are great. Also I really like how it shows how love is the best medicine. I feel like a lot of children could relate to this book, because a lot of times when children are sick, they need their Mama's. I would recommend this book to adults to read to children ages 3 and up.

Amazon Review
Amazon Best Books of the Month, August 2011 : Llama Llama is feeling crummy, sneezing, ach
Madison Daub
Llama Llama Home with Mama was written and illustrated by Anna Dewdney. It was published on August 24th 2011. I think this book would be good for the Caldecott Award because this is a book that children love. I read this to the children that I babysit for and they wanting me to keep reading. Llama Llama is home sick on this day but then it ends up being Mama Llama who is sick. I think that children love this book because of the rhyming and pictures throughout the book. I know that when I read it ...more
Joannah
Little Llama Llama wakes up to discover he just doesn’t feel right. His throat is sore, he’s sneezing and sniffling, and he has a fever. Mama Llama sends him right back to bed - no school today for Llama Llama. But staying home from school isn’t any fun. The medicine Mama gives him is yucky. He’s too sick to play with his toys. Mama Llama gets a book and reads Llama Llama a story and as she is reading, he falls asleep.

The nap makes Llama Llama feel much better and now he is ready to play! Ther
Eden
This is the kind of picture book that makes every aspiring picture book author want to rhyme, in hopes of getting their opus magnus as readable as Llama Llama Home With Mama (man, it's way too difficult to type "llama"). While the meter isn't perfect -- I'm not sure there's any rhyme pattern out there that fits "medicine" -- it's bouncy and as imaginative as the simple vocabulary allows.

Dewdney takes her time setting up the sick, bored atmosphere in the first third of the book with whimsical ill
Justine Paige
I liked this book a lot, especially for readers in kindergarten to first grade. Its a very simple story that rhymes. Its a story about a llama, called Llama Llama, who is too sick to go to school, and the mama llama takes care of him until she gets sick. At that point Llama Llama takes care of his mother. I think this could be used as a read aloud because of the rhyming, students could predict the word that is coming, maybe after a few read throughs.
Ana Grubac
Nov 04, 2014 Ana Grubac rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: for preschool children
Llama llama home with Mama is a part of the Llama Llama series written and illustrated by Anna Dewdney. This series is ideal for preschool children and beginner readers.

In this book, Llama wakes up sick and has to stay at home with Mama. With great illustrations and simple and rhyming text, the book describes what having a cold entails. It also shows empathy and ways Llama Llama can help his Mama when she gets sick.
Barbara
The universal experience of waking up, feeling ill, and needing a little TLC is told in this engaging text sure to appeal to young and old readers. Children will relate to the tender care Mama gives to llama and recognize that turnabout is fair play when Mama starts sneezing as well. I loved the descriptive phrases used throughout the text to describe the llamas' symptoms: "fuzzy brain" and "gobs of guck." And "Sniffing, snorting, sneezing, yuck!" pretty much encapsulates how it feels to have a ...more
Christine
This is a story about the love between a llama and his mama when he is sick. Mama takes care of him, but then mama gets sick and llama gets to take care of mama.

I loved the illustrations. I also enjoyed that I could relate to the story as a mama who has been sick at home with sick children.
Jane
Another cute Llama Llama story about being sick at home (and Mama Llama gets sick, too!). A good story if you have a little one who isn't feeling well or if someone else in the house isn't feeling well this book can help introduce the concept of sympathy.
Brittney Finck
Llama Llama Home with Mama by Anna Dewdney

From the cover I could tell that this book could possibly be popular with the children. The title has a nice ring to it that I can imagine younger elementary students memorizing and saying the rest of the day. The rhyming scheme and rhythm is great and would be fun to read in front of the class or to have my students read aloud with me. The illustrations are simple, but have textures. I feel like the llama’s would be fuzzy if I could pet them, they look
Kim Miller
"Ain't that the truth" comes to mind reading this. Mama takes care of baby, and as soon as baby feels better, mama gets sick! rings home for all parents. Another cute rhyming llama llama text.
Layla & Rachel
Llama Llama Home with Mama is another title in Anna Dewdney's Llama Llama series. Llama Llama is home sick with the sniffles. Llama Llama gets bored at home and starts to whine (as he is prone to do), until Mama Llama gets sick too!

All of Dewdney's Llama books are great, however this is not one of our favorites. Llama Llama is a little to whiny in this and he goes from whining to Mama being really sick too. Layla didn't seem quite as entranced with this title, even though the pictures were stil
E.  Talamante
What happens when Baby Llama gets sick? Mama takes care of him, of course! But what about when Mama Llama gets sick, too? Things get different, and Llama Llama must take care of his Mama!
Tina Peterson
This is a FUN series with a wonderful story about Llama Llama who's just not feeling great. The illustrations are big, full of expression and make it easy to sympathize with Llama llama. Very large text for beginning readers make it easy for kids to read the story themselves and the rhyming words will help little ones listen.

There are several books in this series - I'd love to start collecting them. They all look wonderful.
You're going to LOVE this book - it's excellent as a birthday or Christma
Jessica
Llama Llama books are such great books, with all of the rhymes and pictures, and this one is no exception. A cute book that shows just how not fun it is being sick!
Carol Anderson
Llama Llama is sick and stays home with Mama to take care of him and entertain him, but what happens when Mama gets sick too? Another great addition to the series.
Liz Todd
What's sweeter than a llama with the sniffles? Loved that little llama took care of mama at the end. G loves these books.. Simple text, rhyming, calm, sweet.
Rachel Dalton
The Llama Llama books are fun for beginning readers. With the rhyming component, they also can be used for predicting with primary students.
Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker   (Oh My Shelves)
This is the latest installment of the Llama Llama series. Again, I am forced to read this book 3x in a row. This is my children's favorite series.

I love the interaction between Mama Llama and Llama Llama. My kids seem to relate well to the stories because Llama Llama reminds them of themselves. We have read it so often that my kids say the ending word (so they help me rhyme). This author has done a really good job of telling cute story that entertains kids. I especially like towards the end whe
Angela Hollen
I loved this book! The llama is sick and must stay home with mama. It rhymes and flows very easily. You could use it to predict.
Christine
It feels like every second word is either yuck, guck, yucky or gucky.
Amy Rae
I like nearly all the Llama Llama books, and this one's no exception.
Kristine
We read this book at least three times in a row throughout the day.
Liza Wiemer
Anna Dewdney's Llama Llama series was a favorite of my students when I was teaching preschool. Llama Llama Home with Mama is a wonderful edition to the series, one that I believe preschoolers will be able to identify with and enjoy, not just when they're feeling sick but when they want to be able to express themselves in order to explain how they're feeling on the inside. It gives words to symptoms and gives suggestions on how to cope with boredom. Start with Llama Llama Red Pajama and add the r ...more
Alise Durkota
Llama Llama Home With Mama, is a book that would be appropriate for Kindergarten age Students and possible students in the beginning of 1st grade. It talks about what a cold is like and what some symptoms of a cold are. This may be useful when discussing flu sason, helpinf children recognize what a cold is like and also emphasizing that germs do spread!

This book also rhymes and may be good for younger readers to learn to read as writers as they discover how rhymes are used and even practice word
Jessy
This rhyming book is about the young llama and the day he stays home from school, sick in bed. His mother goes to great lengths to take care of her son and tries all kinds of tricks to make him feel better. Then, his mother ends up getting sick. It's a perfect opportunity for the young llama to return a favor and help take care of his mother.

I believe this is good for grades k-5. It's a lesson, or a reminder, that a child should hear at any age. This could be easily pulled out before writing a
  • The Sniffles for Bear
  • Bear Feels Sick
  • The Pout-Pout Fish in the Big-Big Dark
  • Should I Share My Ice Cream?
  • Where's My T-R-U-C-K?
  • Farmyard Beat
  • Ten Little Caterpillars
  • Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes
  • Little White Rabbit
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
  • Pouch!
  • If You Give a Dog a Donut
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • Steam Train, Dream Train
  • Red Sled
  • Hot Rod Hamster
  • Skippyjon Jones, Class Action
  • No Two Alike
Llama Llama Red Pajama Llama Llama Mad at Mama Llama Llama Misses Mama Llama Llama Holiday Drama Llama Llama Time to Share