Start by marking “Llama Llama Home with Mama” as Want to Read:
Llama Llama Home with Mama

Llama Llama Home with Mama (Llama Llama)

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,652 Ratings  ·  185 Reviews
Llama Llama, morning light.
Feeling yucky, just not right.
Down to breakfast.
Tiny sneeze.
Sniffle, snuffle.
Tissues, please!

Published August 23rd 2011 by Viking Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Llama Llama Home with Mama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Llama Llama Home with Mama

Llama Llama Red Pajama by Anna DewdneyLlama Llama Mad at Mama by Anna DewdneyLlama Llama Time to Share by Anna DewdneyLlama Llama Home with Mama by Anna DewdneyLlama Llama Misses Mama by Anna Dewdney
Preschool-'L'
4th out of 14 books — 6 voters
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.STEM Storiez - Counting Zoo by ZyroboticsGood Night, Gorilla by Peggy RathmannThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarlePajama Time! by Sandra Boynton
Best Baby & Toddler books
16th out of 46 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Sarah Sammis
Sep 01, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sarah by: my daughter
Shelves: pc, read-in-2012
Llama Llama Home with Mama by Anna Dewdney is the fifth of the Llama Llama books and the first one I've read with my daughter. I don't know if she's been reading them at school or just heard about them from her friends, but she insisted on adding this volume to her collection of books.

Llama Llama wakes up not feeling right. After a failed attempt at breakfast, Mama Llama sends him back to bed. He's staying home from school today. Mama knows just what he needs and later when she catches the same
ThatEzi  (Oh My Shelves)
Aug 26, 2011 ThatEzi (Oh My Shelves) rated it it was amazing
This is the latest installment of the Llama Llama series. Again, I am forced to read this book 3x in a row. This is my children's favorite series.

I love the interaction between Mama Llama and Llama Llama. My kids seem to relate well to the stories because Llama Llama reminds them of themselves. We have read it so often that my kids say the ending word (so they help me rhyme). This author has done a really good job of telling cute story that entertains kids. I especially like towards the end whe
Brooke Brodsky
May 07, 2015 Brooke Brodsky rated it it was amazing
Llama Llama Home With Mama is one of my favorite books in, and it is part of the children's picture book genre. I rated it 5 stars because I love the pictures, I love the language, the rhymes, and the plot. Through all of Anna Dewdney's Llama Llama book collection, I have grown to know and love her "Llama Llama Red Pajama" character, and really feel that he is part of my family. In the "Home with Mama" book, little LLama is not feeling well, so he stays home from school. He rests in the morning ...more
Luann
Dec 09, 2011 Luann rated it really liked it
Poor Llama Llama is feeling sick, so he stays home with Mama Llama. Before the day is over, Mama Llama also starts to sneeze and have a sore throat. Luckily, Llama Llama knows just what to do! My favorite part of this one: the word "shnorltes." Too fun! I highly recommend this series for bedtime read-alouds and/or beginning readers. And of course, this is the perfect book to read when you are feeling under the weather and need a story to cheer you up!
Regina L
Feb 26, 2015 Regina L rated it it was amazing
Little Llama is sick at home in his red pajamas…and Mama is taking good care of him, of course! He has to deal with taking his medicine and resting, and as the day goes on and he starts to feel better, his boredom is quickly replaced when he realizes he now needs to take care of his Mama, who is now sick herself! The painted illustrations show sick and sneezing and crabby faces which contrast with the really quick and funny verses, sure to put a smile on your little ones face! I think this book ...more
Jayme Taylor
In Llama Llama Home With Mama little llama is home sick, and being taken care of by mama llama. Being home sick is a bore for little llama, until mama llama gets sick herself and needs taken care of. The author uses rhyming words through the booK, Which makes it more exciting and educational for children. The illustrations in this book portray little llama, and mama llama's sick day at home.
I thought the rhyming and repetition text was very helpful for young children learning to read. The ill
Angie
Jun 09, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it
Synopsis: "Llama Llama, morning light.
Feeling yucky, just not right.
Down to breakfast.
Tiny sneeze.
Sniffle, snuffle.
Tissues, please!

Ah-choo! Uh-oh, Llama Llama's nose is feeling tickly, his throat is feeling scratchy, and his head is feeling stuffy. Back to bed, no school today for Llama Llama! Instead, he's home with Mama. By lunchtime, though, he's beginning to feel a tiny bit better. But now someone else has the sneezes . . . Mama! And who will help her feel better? Why, Llama Llama, of course
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This series is a huge hit on our house. Each of the books are fun, easy to read and just an all around enjoyable books. Anna's newest release is llama llama home with mama, and it's just as heart warming as the rest of the books in the series.

Little llama is home sick from school. His mama does all she can to make him feel better. After lots of loving from his mama, some rest and some yummy food, he starts to feel better. Just as he gets his energy back, he finds his mama isn't feeling too good.
Nov 13, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I love all of the "Llama llama" series of books. I love the way this book rhymes, and the way the pictures are illustrated are great. Also I really like how it shows how love is the best medicine. I feel like a lot of children could relate to this book, because a lot of times when children are sick, they need their Mama's. I would recommend this book to adults to read to children ages 3 and up.

Amazon Review
Amazon Best Books of the Month, August 2011 : Llama Llama is feeling crummy, sneezing, ach
Madison Daub
Sep 20, 2011 Madison Daub rated it really liked it
Llama Llama Home with Mama was written and illustrated by Anna Dewdney. It was published on August 24th 2011. I think this book would be good for the Caldecott Award because this is a book that children love. I read this to the children that I babysit for and they wanting me to keep reading. Llama Llama is home sick on this day but then it ends up being Mama Llama who is sick. I think that children love this book because of the rhyming and pictures throughout the book. I know that when I read it ...more
Joannah
Jul 22, 2013 Joannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sbf-books, own
Little Llama Llama wakes up to discover he just doesn’t feel right. His throat is sore, he’s sneezing and sniffling, and he has a fever. Mama Llama sends him right back to bed - no school today for Llama Llama. But staying home from school isn’t any fun. The medicine Mama gives him is yucky. He’s too sick to play with his toys. Mama Llama gets a book and reads Llama Llama a story and as she is reading, he falls asleep.

The nap makes Llama Llama feel much better and now he is ready to play! Ther
Eden
Oct 05, 2011 Eden rated it liked it
This is the kind of picture book that makes every aspiring picture book author want to rhyme, in hopes of getting their opus magnus as readable as Llama Llama Home With Mama (man, it's way too difficult to type "llama"). While the meter isn't perfect -- I'm not sure there's any rhyme pattern out there that fits "medicine" -- it's bouncy and as imaginative as the simple vocabulary allows.

Dewdney takes her time setting up the sick, bored atmosphere in the first third of the book with whimsical ill
Justine Paige
Jul 15, 2014 Justine Paige rated it it was amazing
I liked this book a lot, especially for readers in kindergarten to first grade. Its a very simple story that rhymes. Its a story about a llama, called Llama Llama, who is too sick to go to school, and the mama llama takes care of him until she gets sick. At that point Llama Llama takes care of his mother. I think this could be used as a read aloud because of the rhyming, students could predict the word that is coming, maybe after a few read throughs.
Kristen
May 18, 2016 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
This was one of the two books read at storytime at the library today. The theme was about being sick. This is a cute book about llama llama who comes down with a cold. He has to stay home from school and it describes what happens. Then Mama comes down with the cold! Oh no! How does he take care of mama?

The rhyming is pretty cute but the story was just ok. This is a cute series, but this won't be a book that we have to have on our shelves.
Ana Grubac  (LibrariAna)
Nov 04, 2014 Ana Grubac (LibrariAna) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: for preschool children
Llama llama home with Mama is a part of the Llama Llama series written and illustrated by Anna Dewdney. This series is ideal for preschool children and beginner readers.

In this book, Llama wakes up sick and has to stay at home with Mama. With great illustrations and simple and rhyming text, the book describes what having a cold entails. It also shows empathy and ways Llama Llama can help his Mama when she gets sick.
Dominique Woodbridge
Feb 25, 2015 Dominique Woodbridge rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-poetry
This is a very cute book that little kids (preschool or kindergarten) would enjoy. There are many rhyming components to this book. Little lama is home sick from school one day and his mama takes care of him. Then around lunch time he is feeling better but his mama has the sniffles. Little lama takes care of his mama. This book could show little kids to care for each other and their family members.
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
May 10, 2015 Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney rated it really liked it
Shelves: ann-l-rogers

Llama Llama Home with Mama
Anna Dewdney
Scholastic
2011

This review is also posted on Get Kids to Read book review blog.

Anna Dewdney has a very popular series, with her Llama Llama series. Beginning with Llama Llama Red Pajama, this young llama has won the hearts of children under 6 as the story was read to them by a parent, librarian, or teacher. Llama Llama Home with Mama, continues that tradition.
Llama Llama is sick with a bad cold. So he will not be going to scho
Mary Dye
I think this book is great on a rainy day. The illustrations are gorgeous and you can really see how the llama's are feeling. I think that this would be a great book to have in your home for when students are sick, but we can't guarantee every child will have this, so having it in your classroom library is the next best thing.
Barbara
Jul 29, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: ncbla
The universal experience of waking up, feeling ill, and needing a little TLC is told in this engaging text sure to appeal to young and old readers. Children will relate to the tender care Mama gives to llama and recognize that turnabout is fair play when Mama starts sneezing as well. I loved the descriptive phrases used throughout the text to describe the llamas' symptoms: "fuzzy brain" and "gobs of guck." And "Sniffing, snorting, sneezing, yuck!" pretty much encapsulates how it feels to have a ...more
Ethan Wesley
Mar 12, 2016 Ethan Wesley rated it really liked it
Tragic tale of a sick Llama Llama who infects his poor Mama with his illness within hours of exposure. We all know the inevitability of contracting your kids ailment from the moment they wake up with a runny nose. No big dramatic temper tantrums in this one but still a classic Llama Llama from Ms. Dewdney.
Jane
Oct 22, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Another cute Llama Llama story about being sick at home (and Mama Llama gets sick, too!). A good story if you have a little one who isn't feeling well or if someone else in the house isn't feeling well this book can help introduce the concept of sympathy.
Anthony
Mar 10, 2016 Anthony rated it liked it
Llama Llama comes down with the sniffles, and stays home so mama can care for him, but as he feels better mama comes down with similar symptoms. What to do, what to do, who will care for mama? Llama Llama discovers turn about is fair play.
Diana Thomsen
Feb 17, 2016 Diana Thomsen rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
I have yet to meet a Llama Llama book that I didn't like...and this certainly wasn't it! A sweet story, filled with everything I love about the series. And the ending made all the parents in the room say, "Awww!" I'm pretty sure I joined right in.
Brittney Finck
Sep 13, 2012 Brittney Finck rated it it was ok
Llama Llama Home with Mama by Anna Dewdney

From the cover I could tell that this book could possibly be popular with the children. The title has a nice ring to it that I can imagine younger elementary students memorizing and saying the rest of the day. The rhyming scheme and rhythm is great and would be fun to read in front of the class or to have my students read aloud with me. The illustrations are simple, but have textures. I feel like the llama’s would be fuzzy if I could pet them, they look
Maritza Mejia
Apr 12, 2016 Maritza Mejia rated it it was amazing
Llama Llama is feeling sick and stays home with Mama Llama. Before the day is over, Mama Llama also is feeling sick. The book reminded me all the occasions that I had the same experience while taking care of my children. I felt emotionally touch. Lovely rhyming picture book for bedtimes and read-aloud.
Angie
Dec 23, 2014 Angie rated it liked it
I like the Llama Llama series, and Dewdney's books in general, though I would prefer more focus on the good behaviors, instead of just a couple pages of goodness and the rest of the book being whiney and selfish etc.
Kim Miller
"Ain't that the truth" comes to mind reading this. Mama takes care of baby, and as soon as baby feels better, mama gets sick! rings home for all parents. Another cute rhyming llama llama text.
Layla & Rachel
Apr 01, 2013 Layla & Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
Llama Llama Home with Mama is another title in Anna Dewdney's Llama Llama series. Llama Llama is home sick with the sniffles. Llama Llama gets bored at home and starts to whine (as he is prone to do), until Mama Llama gets sick too!

All of Dewdney's Llama books are great, however this is not one of our favorites. Llama Llama is a little to whiny in this and he goes from whining to Mama being really sick too. Layla didn't seem quite as entranced with this title, even though the pictures were stil
Heidi
Feb 14, 2016 Heidi rated it really liked it
We really like the llama books, and this one is super cute and so realistic. Things can generally be rough when kids and mama are both sick, but it does give lots of time for snuggles.
Chase
Dec 18, 2015 Chase added it
Shelves: picture-books
Whenever your sick in bed, who is usually at your bedside? Momma llama to the rescue! This picture book personifies the llama to share a story similar to our experiences being sick.
  • The Pout-Pout Fish in the Big-Big Dark
  • The Sniffles for Bear
  • Bear's Loose Tooth
  • Where's My T-R-U-C-K?
  • Pouch!
  • Farmyard Beat
  • Bear with Me
  • Should I Share My Ice Cream? (Elephant & Piggie, #15)
  • If You Give a Dog a Donut
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
  • Skippyjon Jones, Class Action
  • Me With You
  • Ten Little Caterpillars
  • Hot Rod Hamster
  • My Farm Friends
  • I Am Small
  • Little White Rabbit
  • ZooZical

Llama Llama (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Llama Llama Red Pajama