Start by marking “A Professor's Rage” as Want to Read:
A Professor's Rage

A Professor's Rage

A devoted wife and mother and a Harvard-educated scientist working as a biology professor at the University of Alabama–Huntsville, Amy Bishop seemed to have it all. But when she was denied tenure, her whole world came crashing down…and she reacted in a way no one ever could have imagined.

On February 13, 2010, Amy was charged with murder for opening fire in a staff meeting
Published June 28th 2011 by St. Martin's True Crime

To ask other readers questions about A Professor's Rage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Professor's Rage

Dec 23, 2011 Christina rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
Overall, this was an unsatisfying story in that there is no resolution to it - yet.

At the very least, Amy Bishop has rage issues. At the most, she is a psychopath (and I am not a psychologist, so I cannot make that determination with any authority).

What I found frustrating about the story was that Amy Bishop has never had to answer for the 1986 murder of her younger brother, Seth, whom she shot in the chest in the kitchen of the family home. Instead, the shooting is ruled an accident under what
Anirban Gangopadhyay
Extremely light reading. Clearly written by a journalist. Accumulating all the tiniest details from someone's personal life to bolster a hypothesis -- couldn't have been done by anyone else.

But despite that, the case made here is pretty strong. Also, being quite familiar with the tendency of universities to ignore a professor's tantrums (as long as he/she delivers), all this makes a lot of sense.

Lastly, some nice insight into Massachussetts police and how relaxed the legal system here is. Made
Jul 31, 2013 Becky rated it did not like it
This is one of the most poorly-written books I've ever read. The grammatical errors are appalling. Much of the storyline seems to be completely without citation, so while I learned quite a lot that wasn't in the major media reports about the case, I don't even know which parts are true and which are not.

The photos in the middle of the book seemed odd. The ones regarding the crime scene in which Bishop allegedly murdered her brother are listed as "From the library of Michele McPhee" (the author).
Robin Conley
Nov 24, 2014 Robin Conley rated it liked it
This was an interesting read. I really like the way the author went back and set things up from the very beginning of not only Amy's story, but some of the history of the DA and the police force in Boston. I do feel like it seemed a little sidetracked at times, and it there were a few lines it repeated over and over again that kind of got annoying. I also feel like the story was left incomplete with the way it ended. I know we can logically assume what happens (or even look it up after reading), ...more
Feb 03, 2012 Carrie rated it did not like it
This could have been a great book. The case is fascinating, and McPhee is a gifted writer. But, I was not at all surprised to see that the author is also a frequent Fox News guest. She has maanged to turn the book into an anti-liberal screed. It's laughable how evil she paints the liberal academics of New England (Amy Bishop's parents). She goes on for a page and ahalf about an evil liberal female judge, who didn't even have anything to do with the Bishop case. I rolled my eyes every time McPhee ...more
Dec 04, 2013 Ruby rated it really liked it
I found this story to be an amazing tale of ineptitude on the part of the higher ups in the Boston police department. I found it amazing that Bishop was let go after murdering her brother and committing multiple crimes, and that it was covered up for so many years. If it weren’t for the cover up, thanks to a mother’s ties to law enforcement, and the crooked John Polio, the massacre at the University of Alabama might never have taken place. This is a disturbing tale, told by a writer who understa ...more
Rod Hansen
Sep 02, 2013 Rod Hansen rated it liked it
Buyer Beware: This true-crime paperback sells itself as an account of the 2010 University of Alabama at Huntsville shooting rampage by professor Amy Bishop, but the book devotes most of its pages to Bishop's shooting of her brother at the family's Braintree, Mass., home in 1986, and the alleged police cover-up that followed.

The university shooting doesn't play out until two-thirds of the way through the book, and even then feels almost like an afterthought.

Most of this book offers a glimpse into
Apr 03, 2013 Dawn rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
I recently read a New Yorker article about Amy Bishop, and was interested in learning more. This book didn't tell me much about the shootings in Alabama that I hadn't already learned from reading online, but it did give me new information about the incident 25 years earlier, when Amy supposedly "accidently" shot and killed her brother. There were so many missed opportunities, red flags that could have alerted someone to how dangerous Bishop could be.

Not the best true crime book I've read, but en
Dec 28, 2014 Beth rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebook, truecrime
This book is about what you would expect from a quickie true crime story written before the trial takes place. If you've followed the case, you already know most of the story, but the book does contain some details not previously reported in the papers. One repeated error (calling Bishop an "associate" professor, the rank of a tenured professor--untenured profs are "assistant" professors) makes me wonder what other errors might be present.
McPhee Nails it !!

True to form Michele McPhee writes a thorough and compelling piece of non fiction . Her talent for not beating around the bush and telling a gripping and factual account of multiple tragedies by one mad woman and the astounding cover up is amazing .
Mar 06, 2012 Valerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
A Professor's Rage was quite a story, and I enjoyed it quite a lot. Amy Bishop was obviously a sick individual, yet cunning enough to keep it hidden from most, unless she got really inensed.

Hope to see an update showing the outcome of the murder trials and her brother's death case.
Feb 07, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it
Finished this just after Amy Bishop plead guilty. The book ends way before that. Well written, fascinating story. Just not super.
Lin S.
Oct 15, 2015 Lin S. rated it liked it
With all the signs this woman was a total wacko throughout her life! "I didn't see this coming" said No one!?
Janet Harris
Janet Harris rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2013
Ashley Blum
Ashley Blum rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2011
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2014
Grace rated it did not like it
May 13, 2012
Jean rated it it was ok
Jul 16, 2013
Pj Schott
Pj Schott rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2012
Sue rated it it was ok
Oct 24, 2013
Jul 09, 2012 Joni added it
I love this author!
Trish Bodine
May 07, 2014 Trish Bodine rated it really liked it
I remember when this happened. I live about an hour from Huntsville, and UAH is my alma mater.
Laurie Jorgensen
Laurie Jorgensen rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2014
Bill Robinson
Bill Robinson rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Jennifer Lynn
Jennifer Lynn rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Diane rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2011
Marv rated it did not like it
Jun 07, 2012
Tamara Crosby
Tamara Crosby rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2015
Jackie Allen
Jackie Allen rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2016
Stevie Mathis
Stevie Mathis rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016