Start by marking “A Professor's Rage” as Want to Read:
A Professor's Rage

A Professor's Rage

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  11 reviews

A devoted wife and mother and a Harvard-educated scientist working as a biology professor at the University of Alabama–Huntsville, Amy Bishop seemed to have it all. But when she was denied tenure, her whole world came crashing down…and she reacted in a way no one ever could have imagined.

On February 13, 2010, Amy was charged with murder for opening fire in a staff meeti

Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Published June 28th 2011 by St. Martin's True Crime

To ask other readers questions about A Professor's Rage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Professor's Rage

Robin Conley
This was an interesting read. I really like the way the author went back and set things up from the very beginning of not only Amy's story, but some of the history of the DA and the police force in Boston. I do feel like it seemed a little sidetracked at times, and it there were a few lines it repeated over and over again that kind of got annoying. I also feel like the story was left incomplete with the way it ended. I know we can logically assume what happens (or even look it up after reading), ...more
Anirban Gangopadhyay
Extremely light reading. Clearly written by a journalist. Accumulating all the tiniest details from someone's personal life to bolster a hypothesis -- couldn't have been done by anyone else.

But despite that, the case made here is pretty strong. Also, being quite familiar with the tendency of universities to ignore a professor's tantrums (as long as he/she delivers), all this makes a lot of sense.

Lastly, some nice insight into Massachussetts police and how relaxed the legal system here is. Made
Christina
Overall, this was an unsatisfying story in that there is no resolution to it - yet.

At the very least, Amy Bishop has rage issues. At the most, she is a psychopath (and I am not a psychologist, so I cannot make that determination with any authority).

What I found frustrating about the story was that Amy Bishop has never had to answer for the 1986 murder of her younger brother, Seth, whom she shot in the chest in the kitchen of the family home. Instead, the shooting is ruled an accident under what
Becky
This is one of the most poorly-written books I've ever read. The grammatical errors are appalling. Much of the storyline seems to be completely without citation, so while I learned quite a lot that wasn't in the major media reports about the case, I don't even know which parts are true and which are not.

The photos in the middle of the book seemed odd. The ones regarding the crime scene in which Bishop allegedly murdered her brother are listed as "From the library of Michele McPhee" (the author).
Carrie
This could have been a great book. The case is fascinating, and McPhee is a gifted writer. But, I was not at all surprised to see that the author is also a frequent Fox News guest. She has maanged to turn the book into an anti-liberal screed. It's laughable how evil she paints the liberal academics of New England (Amy Bishop's parents). She goes on for a page and ahalf about an evil liberal female judge, who didn't even have anything to do with the Bishop case. I rolled my eyes every time McPhee ...more
Rod Hansen
Buyer Beware: This true-crime paperback sells itself as an account of the 2010 University of Alabama at Huntsville shooting rampage by professor Amy Bishop, but the book devotes most of its pages to Bishop's shooting of her brother at the family's Braintree, Mass., home in 1986, and the alleged police cover-up that followed.

The university shooting doesn't play out until two-thirds of the way through the book, and even then feels almost like an afterthought.

Most of this book offers a glimpse into
Ruby
I found this story to be an amazing tale of ineptitude on the part of the higher ups in the Boston police department. I found it amazing that Bishop was let go after murdering her brother and committing multiple crimes, and that it was covered up for so many years. If it weren’t for the cover up, thanks to a mother’s ties to law enforcement, and the crooked John Polio, the massacre at the University of Alabama might never have taken place. This is a disturbing tale, told by a writer who understa ...more
Dawn
I recently read a New Yorker article about Amy Bishop, and was interested in learning more. This book didn't tell me much about the shootings in Alabama that I hadn't already learned from reading online, but it did give me new information about the incident 25 years earlier, when Amy supposedly "accidently" shot and killed her brother. There were so many missed opportunities, red flags that could have alerted someone to how dangerous Bishop could be.

Not the best true crime book I've read, but en
Trish Bodine
I remember when this happened. I live about an hour from Huntsville, and UAH is my alma mater.
Valerie  Shampine
A Professor's Rage was quite a story, and I enjoyed it quite a lot. Amy Bishop was obviously a sick individual, yet cunning enough to keep it hidden from most, unless she got really inensed.

Hope to see an update showing the outcome of the murder trials and her brother's death case.
Joni
Jul 09, 2012 Joni added it
I love this author!
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Suzie Flohr
Suzie Flohr marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Lindsay Schwan
Lindsay Schwan marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Darcy
Darcy marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Erican
Erican marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
A Date with Death: The Secret Life of the Accused "Craigslist Killer" Heartless: The True Story of Neil Entwistle and the Cold Blooded Murder of his Wife and Child When Evil Rules: Vengeance and Murder on Cape Cod Mob Over Miami A Mob Story