Start by marking “Titus Crow: The Burrowers Beneath, the Transition of Titus Crow” as Want to Read:
Titus Crow: The Burrowers Beneath, the Transition of Titus Crow

Titus Crow: The Burrowers Beneath, the Transition of Titus Crow (Titus Crow #1-2)

"Titus Crow" presents the first two novels in a striking horror-adventure tale inspired by the works of H. P. Lovecraft. Written in a classic style, The Burrowers Beneath and The Transition of Titus Crow chronicle the beginning of the adventures of Titus Crow. Crow battles the Elder Gods and their offspring wherever and whenever they rise to threaten mankind - on Earth, on ...more
Published January 1st 1997 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Titus Crow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Titus Crow

K.T. Katzmann
May 01, 2016 K.T. Katzmann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone Who Wants to See a Cthulhu Novel Go Off the Rails
A pitiful investigator of eldritch horror returns for a sequel in which he gains a TARDIS, fights pterosaurs, is rebuilt as a cyborg, lasers a god, befriends dragons, and . . .

photo weirdestboner_zpswcurcjcv.jpg

My Burrows Beneath review is here. I'll discuss the insanity of Transition for this review.

I once played in a Call of Cthulhu game at a local gaming store. We had three players and the Schmuck. We wanted to get rid of the Schmuck so badly, we hatched an insane plan. Knowing that the Schmuck was a Lovecraftian purist, we w
Ross Lockhart
Feb 21, 2009 Ross Lockhart rated it really liked it
Fritz Leiber, creator or the best-known pair of adventurers in all of fantasy literature (and no stranger to the Lovecraftean pastiche) was no great fan of Brian Lumley’s The Burrowers Beneath, the first of the two novels collected in Titus Crow, Volume 1. “This is not just science fiction,” wrote Leiber in an essay published in Fantastic, June 1975 (and reprinted in Fritz Leiber and H. P. Lovecraft: Writers of the Dark). “It is science fiction of the cosmic-war-of-the-gods sort which Lovecraft ...more
Keith
Apr 24, 2009 Keith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Lumley, I read the first half of your book -- that is, the first novel within -- and never went back. I wanted to. Your covers rule and your main character has the dopest name ever. Neither fact saves this book from being terrible, embarrassing fan-fiction. You might deserve another chance, but I deserve to take care of myself and your writing makes me dumber. I'm sorry. Goodbye.
Donovan
Feb 05, 2012 Donovan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror
How do I describe the Titus Crow Series??? Only as a combination of Dr Who meets Cthulhu.
It is quite dates having been written in the 1970's but a lot of fun regardless. Elements of the series remind me of H.P. Lovecraft (for obvious reasons) and Michael Moorcock (for his fantastic imaginings). The series consists of:
The Burrowers Beneath
The Transition of Titus Crow
The Clock of Dreams
Spawn of the Winds
In the Moons of Borea
Elysia

Brief
The Titus Crow novels are adventure horror, full of acts of nob
Brendan
Jun 16, 2010 Brendan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm done.

I read the first novella or whatever ("The Burrowers Beneath"), which starts out promising by setting the mood well, but Lumley doesn't quite have the grasp on the affected language that he seems to think he does. His incessant use of exclamation points erodes any sense of wonder he might have achieved (a professor of mine once said "'Suddenly' is the least-sudden word in the English language", and I find this to be perfectly applicable to Lumley's work here), and the narrator's constan
Kory Callaway
Jun 25, 2012 Kory Callaway rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After reading this I came to two conclusions. 1: I don't HAVE to finish every book I start. 2: Brian Lumley is a horrible fucking writer. At times I've wondered if I was just too stupid to discriminate between good (or at least decent) writing and complete crap. This book showed me I indeed can.
KungFu Drafter
Aug 14, 2011 KungFu Drafter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastically eerie. Titus Crow is the Sherlock Holmes/Van Helsing of the dark side. This book is classic Lumley. I recommend it to anyone that enjoys fantasy/horror or Lovecraft's Cthulu mythology.
Jordan West
Mar 14, 2012 Jordan West rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Incredible; Lumley manages to out-Derleth Derleth.
Clint
Nov 19, 2013 Clint rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I don't know why a lot of people complain about Lumley's Lovecraft fiction. Dude, if you're writing about the Mythos, it's kind of painful and ridiculous to do it really seriously. Never mind that Lovecraft did just that, he's special. Brian Lumley, though he didn't reach his own literary apex until the Necroscope books, wrote some stellar Lovecraft material, and the character of Titus Crow is THE SHIT. When these books were first reissued in the late 90s I didn't buy them because I'd been so tu ...more
Daniel
May 17, 2008 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume contains two separate novels. The first, The Burrowers Beneath, is a great H.P. Lovecraft meets Arthur Conan Doyle meets Tremors horror adventure story. Fantastic, gripping, fun to read. The second novel, The Transition of Titus Crow, was mostly crap. I read through it, hoping it would get back to the level of the first, but it just didn't do it for me. The first dealt with a great and unknown evil below our feet, the second was a goofy and aimless jaunt through space and time (using ...more
Dave
Oct 29, 2007 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd really like to give this 3.5 stars, but I can't. This volume is divided into The Burrowers Beneath and The Transition of Titus Crow.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Burrowers Beneath. It is to Lovecraft what the Brian Herbert books are to the Dune universe (in that they are action-adventure tales in the same setting).

I started off interested in the The Transition of Titus Crow, but by the end of it the reading was a bit of a chore. It was in a similar vein to the end of Lovecraft's "dream cycle", bu
Chris
Apr 29, 2010 Chris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror, to-finish
It's the second time I've tried to read one of the Titus Crow books, and I was just as bored wiuth this one as the other. It must be Lumley's adopted writing style for this book, seemingly modeled after Lovecraft's own, that turns me off to this series. Sure, I can see that he's trying to invoke the clinical and staid prose that makes Lovecraft's so oddly dry-yet-interesting, but it doesn't work as well for his much more informed heroes...who know the secrets and fight them, as opposed to Lovecr ...more
darchildre
Pretty much, the first couple chapters of this book are awesome. (They make fun of Wilmarth from Whisperer in Darkness - how could they not be awesome?) However, I am easily distracted by other shiny things and thus haven't actually gotten any further than that. Alas.

And I didn't ever finish it - it's fun but a bit clumsy and stilted. And, well, it's not actually that scary. A little more action oriented than I really want my Lovecraft pastiches to be.
Skylar
Jul 29, 2016 Skylar rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, horror
The first book (Burrowers Beneath) reads like a standard Lovecraft short story. Not great, but not bad either.

The second book (Transition of Titus Crow) reads like a weird mash-up of Doctor Who and Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth, but without a plot to drive anything forward. I skimmed the last 40 pages or so after determining that nothing really happens in them.

If I could rate them separately, it would be 3.5 stars and 1 star.
Mathew Charpentier
Brian Lumely is certainly a talented writer and these books are very well written, they kept me engaged and interested from start to finish. That being said, the thing I didn't like was how he watered down the Cthulhu Mythos by adding too much science to it explaining away the mysticism of the Mythos, which is perhaps its strongest point. I do like how Titus Crow does fight back though, which is something that is rarely seen in the Cthulhu Mythos.
Jason Gusman
This is based on H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos world. Admittedly, the best approach to this is to actually read some of Lovecraft's stuff beforehand. I thought the book itself was a good read, but I was not up to speed with things the way I think I should have been. It felt like I was walking into the middle of a series. But as I stated, the actual story was interesting. It made me want to read more in the Mythos world.
Seth Tucker
Jan 26, 2015 Seth Tucker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic read! I thoroughly enjoyed reading of Titus Crow and his associates as they struggled against the far reaching maniacal entropy that is attached to the creatures of the C'thulhu mythos. A wonderful update on H.P. Lovecraft's ideas, Lumley gives a wonderful look at the struggle against these strange and ominous beings in the 70's. If you are a mythos fan, then I encourage you to pick up his volume.
Julie
May 07, 2014 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
A well told tale of impending doom and the end of mankind, possibly. Our brave heroes are witty enough to survive many threats and journey to amazing places. The Cthulhu deities are explained a bit and try to influence us puny humans.
I think this would be a great summer read.
I am glad I belong to good reads or I would not have known to look for more books in this series.
Harley Clay
Sep 26, 2009 Harley Clay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i gave this series a shot after i finished the necroscope series. i wasnt disappointed. if you have ever heard of the chathulu myths or read any HP Lovecraft and liked the stories, this book might be right for you.
Nikki
It has all the misogyny and racism of the original Lovecraft stories, which I found wildly disappointing. Scary in parts, and with some interesting ideas, but overall I wasn't a huge fan of the writing (kind of dull).
Daniel
Jun 12, 2014 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a great book; done very well in the Lovecraftian tradition.

Beedo180
Jun 19, 2013 Beedo180 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Cthulhu Mythos read in an August Derleth vain. If you like the mythos, a must read.
Serena
Apr 11, 2013 Serena marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Got 20 pages through and couldn't finish. It's just not my style.
Lorrie Gipson
stopped reading this book around page 100. Very cumbersome. He spends way too much time talking about names of gods instead of writing about the story.
Nicholas
You got your science in my mythos.

Well, you got your mythos in my science!

And Titus Crow, was born.
Jesse
Dec 16, 2008 Jesse marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Horror author H.P. Lovecraft was NOT a highly imaginative writer -- He was psychic and all of his stories were true! Sounds like a great premise, but I'm still busy with Lumley's others...
J.W. Bradley
Apr 26, 2013 J.W. Bradley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very much enjoyed this Lovecraft inspired work. Especially The Burrowers Beneath. Pulpy and just enough action for a balanced read.
Tyler
Jul 07, 2013 Tyler rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Burrowers Beneath was fine, but The Transition of Titus Crow was, as reported by others, absurd.
Jim Mcvean
Nov 12, 2012 Jim Mcvean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ace
Wish there was more o these books
Darin
Apr 10, 2009 Darin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you love the Cthuhlu mythos and want to read a different view of it I would highly reccommend this series.
  • The Necronomicon: Selected Stories and Essays Concerning the Blasphemous Tome of the Mad Arab
  • Disciples of Cthulhu
  • The Book of Iod: Ten Tales of the Mythos
  • Delta Green: Denied to the Enemy
  • Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • The Horror in the Museum
  • The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana: A Guide to Lovecraftian Horror
  • The 37th Mandala
  • The Trail of Cthulhu
  • Alhazred: Author of the Necronomicon
  • New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Third Annual Collection
  • Hellboy: The First 20 Years (Hellboy Artbooks, #2)
20602
Brian Lumley was born near Newcastle. In 22 years as a Military Policeman he served in many of the Cold War hotspots, including Berlin, as well as Cyprus in partition days. He reached the rank of Sergeant-Major before retiring to Devon to write full-time, and his work was first published in 1970. The vampire series, 'Necroscope', has been translated into ten languages and sold over a million copie ...more
More about Brian Lumley...

Titus Crow (8 books)