Start by marking “Morningstar” as Want to Read:
Morningstar

Morningstar

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,960 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
From the internationally bestselling author of Lion of Macedon and The Dark Prince comes an action-filled new epic fantasy based on the classic Robin Hood legend. Jarek Mace, a thief who preys upon wealthy nobles, is hailed as a hero. But is he a soldier of honor, or just a mercenary? Original.
Published June 1st 2011 by Del Rey (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Morningstar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morningstar

Mike (the Paladin)
Heroism, action, self sacrifice...what's not to like! Gemmell at his best!

Okay so some of you won't like Gemmell, there's no accounting for taste. I rate him very high, one of my favorites....sometimes it's got meaning upon meaning other times it's pure brain candy. But even then it's really great brain candy.

This may have been the first Gemmell novel I ran across and it set me off on a hunt for all the others I could find.

David Gemmell, one of my favorite writers, he'll be missed.
Nikki
Sep 14, 2012 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Gemmell's fantasy works are all really fun to read, and I'm still at the stage with him where I can run into a book of his I've never read before in every library I sign up to. Morningstar is a stand-alone fantasy work, though it's set in the same world as Knights of Dark Renown (the Knights of the Gabala are mentioned, as a legend, anyway), with a self-contained and pretty satisfying plot.

It's partially based on Robin Hood stories, and I think you could make an argument that it's part Ar
Ahmad Sharabiani
Morning star, David Gemmell
عنوانها: تولد یک قهرمان؛ تولد اسطوره؛ ستاره صبح؛؛
عنوان: ستاره صبح؛ نویسنده:دیوید گمل؛ مترجم: سهیلا فرزین نژاد؛ تهران، تندیس، 1386؛ در 473 ص؛ شابک: 9789648944341؛
عنوان: تولد اسطوره؛ نویسنده:دیوید گمل؛ مترجم: سهیلا فرزین نژاد؛ تهران، تندیس، 1387؛ در 420 ص؛ شابک: 9789648944495؛
عنوان: تولد یک قهرمان؛ نویسنده:دیوید گمل؛ مترجم: سهیلا فرزین نژاد؛ تهران، تندیس، 1388؛ در 400 ص؛ شابک: 9789648944495؛
به نظرم دو نوع غرور وجود دارد. اولی باعث میشود که آدم از ترس این که احمق به نظر ب
Giovanna
Jun 14, 2016 Giovanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Giovanna by: Dreams At Dusk
3.5

Argh, it's difficult to round 3.5 stars for me lately.

I still have to clear my head a bit, so I'll probably wait a while before rating it. It's close to 4 stars, but I don't want to rush it and give it a rating now.

The good:

> The idea. If I had to describe Morningstar I'd say it's a loose, parodic retelling of Robin Hood. Our hero is, in fact, an unwilling one. Jarek Mace is everything but heroic: thief (and he doesn't steal for nothing but his own gain), murderer, adulterer, he's happy w
proxyfish
Reviewed on my blog - Books by Proxy

4.5 Stars

David Gemmell is one of those authors that every fan of fantasy fiction should have read; unbelievably this was my first. Needless to say, I need more Gemmell in my life! Morningstar was a fantastic introduction into his writing; exciting, fast paced, and overflowing with ne’er-do-wells and reluctant heroes. If, like me, you need a starting point for the Gemmell catalogue, Morningstar will not disappoint.

The Angostin forces are storming the Highland
Muhammad Hosain Abdollahi Sabet
گمان کنم گمل در جایی از یکی از نامههایی میگوید که خوانندگانش برایش میفرستادند. نامهی مذکور از طرف پسر جوانی فرستاده شده بود و بابت آثارش از او قدردانی کرده بود. ظاهراً پسر جوان روزی در خیابان میبیند چند نفر مزاحم خانمی شدهاند و او را اذیت میکنند. پسر خونش به جوش میآید و در دفاع از آن زن با مزاحمین درگیر میشود و آنها را فراری میدهد. او این کار خود را متأثر از داستانهای گمل دانسته و بابت آنها در یک نامه از گمل تشکر کرده بود.

میتوانم تصور کنم وقتی آن نامه را خوانده، چقدر مسرور شده. انگار در دلش چندی
Doc
Dec 19, 2015 Doc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, solid, gifted writing.

Lately, I have been going for the Kindle deals and reading many self-published or near-self-published books--a form of reader's Russian roulette. This book reminded me of what a pleasure it is to read a genuinely good book by an experienced, accomplished author. It reminded me of how good it is to move along that smooth, well-crafted road without the cracks, bumps, and potholes of many of the bargain books.

Maybe I should reexamine the dilemma all of us face: what to r
Graham
Mar 27, 2014 Graham rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
As a massive fan of David Gemmell, I snapped this book up, hoping as ever that it was an undiscovered gem. Sadly, it wasn’t. It’s a book that sees the author working on autopilot, taking familiar themes and a familiar, well-worn storyline and crafting a tale that is pacy and exciting but simply lacking that extra spark that made other books from the author shine.

That’s not to say it’s a bad book; Gemmell at his most average is still miles better than many other fantasy writers, and this book ha
Steve
Mar 08, 2011 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At last, time to write a review...

I finished this book days ago, for the fourth or so time.

It's not one of Gemmell's best books, but nor is it one of his worst. It's a gripping fantasy read with a Robin Hood type theme, i.e. unlikely hero and plenty of time in the forest.

Owen Odell is a young bard who, as an elderly man, summons a ghost to tell the true story of The Morningstar, his legend, and the part of Owen himself...

Owen meets Jarek Mace by accident and they form an unlikely, but interesti
Ed C
Jun 20, 2009 Ed C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-gemmell
Future Gemmell fans, start here. I read this book to give myself a good idea of what I might expect from David Gemmell as an author, and I was not dissapointed. It is great heroic fantasy without delving into the realms of high fantasy. It is dark and grimy, like a historical piece, tinged with elements of magic and myth, set in fictional world. This is Gemmell's style, and he stays true to it for this one-off tale in a one-off world. If you like something a little rougher from your fantasy, and ...more
Scott Kaelen
Jan 10, 2014 Scott Kaelen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A riveting first-person heroic adventure narrated from the viewpoint of a non-hero. Full of Gemmell's staples: love, loss, ego, religion, battles, death, friendship, et al, and resplendent with deep dialogue that confronts and challenges all of these issues.
A thoroughly engrossing page-turner, and a change from Gemmell's usual 3rd-person perspective. Morningstar is a memorable novel.
My only gripe is with the epilogue, which changes the POV from 1st to 3rd. I'm sure a better thought-out ending c
Reihane
این کتاب رو برای دومین دور کتابخوانی در گروه پرسی 3 خوندم و این نقد رو هم توی همونجا پست کردم

در مورد این کتاب فقط باید بگم خیلی کند و بد شروع شد خیلی خوب به اوج رسید و در نهایت در پایان با غافلگیری غیرمنتظره ای روبرو شدم.

این اولین کتابی بود که از این نویسنده خوندم و باید بگم گمل اثرش پر از جملات قصار و زیبا بود. به همه پیشنهاد می کنم این اثر گمل رو به خاطر سبک نوشتاری اش بخونن.

داستان کتاب خیلی مبهم و گیج کننده بود. گر چه بعد از صد صفحه می تونه خواننده رو به دنبال خودش بکشونه ( خواننده ای که ص
Negar
Aug 28, 2013 Negar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
عمرا اگه دلم بیاد کمتر از پنج بهش بدم :دی ولی میدم :دی
یه اول شخص عالی. فوق العاده بود. اونقدرا خوب شروع نشد و باعث شد که بعد از صد صفحه اول یه دو هفته ای ولش کنم. ولی به نظرم بقیه ش ارزششو داشت.
کتاب یه مجموعه ی گرد آوری شده از کلمات قصار بود. اولش بعضی ها رو می نوشتم ولی جلوتر دیدم بهشون نمی رسم :دی
جارک رایس... خب اون ستاره صبح بود. یه قهرمان بی میل و خود پسند. تغییراتی که توی کل کتاب پیدا کرد کاملا قابل توجه بود.
اوئن اودل... شخصیت پردازی اون عالی بود. شاید توصیفات از اون به خاطر اول شخص بودن
Josh Meares
A bit gimmicky, but I liked it. As always, David Gemmell has a few nuggets of wisdom hidden within the pages.

Here are a few of my favorite quotes:

is it not comforting to believe that all acts of murder and malice are committed by brutes with no souls? Worshippers of Unclean Powers? But how dispiriting to see a group of men coming home from a day of toil, ready to play for an hour with their children, to hold their wives close, to sit at their hearth-fires, when their work has been the foul slaug
L'ours inculte
Jan 29, 2015 L'ours inculte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Si y’a une chose que Monsieur David Gemmell savait bien faire, c’était raconter des légendes (wink wink). Or ici il s’est éloigné quelque peu de son univers Drenaï pour nous raconter celle de Jarek Mace, alias l’étoile du matin, défenseur du peuple et libérateur des Highlands. Mais la légende nait parfois d’une réalité un peu moins héroïque et un peu plus crue, pleine de boue et d’égoïsme, et c’est cette réalité que va nous raconter Owen Odell, le barde qui a suivi Jarek, vu et construit le nom ...more
Melissa Cabbage
Considering how unimpressive the blurb was, this book was really a pleasant surprise to read. I wasn't expecting an analysis of the Robin Hood trope mixed into the story, and I didn't know I wanted it until now. The characters were really great - Jarek was endearing and I found myself pitying his unwillingness to play his part (but then again I always have a soft spot for anti-heroes), Odell was a really nice contrast to Jarek, although he annoyed me a little at the start, and I loved Piercollo, ...more
Fabio
Feb 05, 2016 Fabio rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is somewhat bittersweet for me. I love David Gemmell and I longed to enjoy one of the few of his work I haven't read yet, but it proved to be a discordant note instead, almost unsettling.

Firstly, I must say it's strange that it comes after Legend and Knights of Dark Renown: both are much better, in my opinion. This "feels" like a first novel, and a bit unpolished at that.

Then, he used first person POV, unlike all others that I've read. I think he's much better at third person POV.

Don't get
Cindy
Nov 18, 2015 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It has been quite a while since I stumbled upon a book that I loved every single part of. I loved every word in this book. The writing is amazing. All of the characters are lovable in their own way. Such a fascinating take on the story of Robin Hood - there were parts where you knew this story was based on the fairy tale but then things would quickly take a turn and it became its own.

I recommend this one to anyone who enjoys a good heroic fantasy read!
Adrian
Jan 10, 2015 Adrian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot. Much more than I expected to, because it does nothing that falls outside the familiar realms of fantasy, and I usually appreciate something a little more ambitious and challenging. I suppose what I really responded to was the elegiac style of the tale. It is a book with a heart, a romance, and in that respect it reminded me of Guy Gavriel Kay's Tigana. That said, there are enough cynical reflections on the nature of humankind and on our own world to demonstrate the clear ...more
Carishma Ramchurran
Rating: 5/5

Summary:
Owen Odell produces an illusion of a ghost so that he can tell the true story behind the legend of the Morningstar- Jarek Mace.Jarek Mace is a thief, outlaw, and adulterer. He has a realistic, almost pessimistic view of the world, and life. Owen, a bard, has a more romanticized view. Despite their differences (or perhaps because of it), these two men form an unlikely, yet binding friendship. Owen conceives the idea of the Morningstar. At the beginning, it is nothing more than
Beth Kipp
May 17, 2016 Beth Kipp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jarek Mace is selfish, greedy, and self-serving, and yet I find him to be one of the best heroes I have ever read about. He's brave and courageous, yes, but he is no Prince Charming which makes this book absolutely fascinating.

Spoilers Ahead:
For me, the romances fell a bit flat. I was never invested in either of the two main pairings just because they felt rushed and almost like an after thought. Other portions of the novel also feel weirdly rushed and glazed over, but the general story is well
Mike
Mar 30, 2015 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok not a work of literacy genius however when it comes to heroic fantasy there are non finer than Mr Gemmell. This book is uplifting and righteous but has that sense of the fallibility of man.
Sally
Apr 27, 2015 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book, the cover looked fairly grim and with a title like "Morningstar" I thought I might be in for some grim-dark. I had heard of David Gemmell before though and tentatively it a try.

Well it certainly wasn't what I would call grim-dark and I immediately took a liking to the naive bard Owen. I loved the theme of what heroes really are, and the way that Owen's views on heroes change but are never shaken from their fundamental belief in Jake's abili
Andrew Lawston
Oct 22, 2015 Andrew Lawston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Morningstar is a fun fantasy novel that shows how the greatest heroes tend to have feet of clay. Jarek Mace is a ruthless self-interested outlaw who becomes a folk hero and resistance figurehead in spite of himself.

I read most of the book next to a swimming pool, and it has to be said that in spite of a great deal of philosophising from the novel's narrator, Morningstar probably works best as a holiday read. There are certain plot developments that you can see looming ahead like icebergs, hundre
Donna
Feb 24, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
What a story! So unexpected and fun. Heroic fantasy has never been on top of my reading lists but I now need more Gemmell.
Amélie
Nov 26, 2015 Amélie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
I guess I'm very a bit tired of those antiheroes. Like "Wow, the Hero is actually Not Like The Legend but a misogynistic thief who loves nothing but himself and money! How revolutionary!" (maybe it was in the 90s, I'm not familiar enough with the history of fantasy to be able to tell, but reading it in 2015 it's just an old and very tired cliché). So that certainly didn't help me get into the story, which I didn't find that great, and I had trouble with the pacing. The writing was good, from wha ...more
Joe Dorrian
This isnt one of my favourite Gemmell books, although it's still a good read. Morningstar is a first person book based on the words of an old bard who was a friend and companion to a great hero of the highlands, the Morningstar Jarek Mace and provides the truth behind his legend. The book stands alone in the Gemmell universe although is set in the same world as the knights of gabala but provides many of the themes familiar to Gemmell readers battles, close bonds, magic and selfless acts.
Jerry
Aug 19, 2012 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the first David Gemmell book I've read, and I enjoyed it. All the standard fantasy tropes are present, but I didn't mind them. In fact, I was looking for them. I'm getting tired of reading fantasy where the protagonist is "only human" and disappoints all expectations of doing good by the end of the story. That seems the modern trend in fantasy. You won't find that in this book. While the main hero is selfish, the story is in fact one of redemption.

A lot of comparison has been drawn betwe
Darren Sweet
Jan 07, 2016 Darren Sweet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Human beings are deeply flawed but ultimately redeemable, albeit in often mysterious ways. Read that all of Gemmell's books are essentially Christian stories with redemption at heart. Clearly not Christian in a glib, superficial, black & white sense, which is terrific. The plot bounces along quickly with just enough description. Lots of unexpected quists and turns with humour thrown it. What a maginificent retake on Robin Hood. Will be reading more of Gemmell for sure!
Baldurian
Aug 22, 2016 Baldurian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, narrativa
Gemmell è una roccia di ottima fantasy eroica in una pianura di mediocrità; perfino quando si discosta dal Ciclo dei Drenai, come in questo La spada delle Highland, riesce a disegnare un'ambientazione credibile, dei personaggi interessanti e una trama appassionante e complessa in poco più di trecento pagine. Una certezza.
  • Monument
  • Le vaisseau magique (Les aventuriers de la mer, #1)
  • The Demon King (The Seer King Trilogy, #2)
  • The Living God (A Handful of Men, #4)
  • Les années noires (Belgarath le Sorcier, #1)
  • Harp of Winds (Artefacts of Power, #2)
  • Daemonslayer (Gotrek & Felix, #3)
  • The Women And The Warlords
  • Nightchild (Chronicles of the Raven, #3)
  • A Time of Omens (The Westlands, #2)
David Andrew Gemmell was a bestselling British author of heroic fantasy. A former journalist and newspaper editor, Gemmell had his first work of fiction published in 1984. He went on to write over thirty novels. Best known for his debut, Legend, Gemmell's works display violence, yet also explores themes in honour, loyalty and redemption. With over one million copies sold, his work continues to sel ...more
More about David Gemmell...

“I have discovered in my long life that there are many words and phrases which have more power than any spell of magick. The most well-known of these is, of course, I love you. But by far the most deadly is, if only. For these two words can strip a man's strength, his courage and his confidence. They become the father of regret and anguish and pain.” 27 likes
“Fear is good, for it makes us cautious and aids survival. Not so with terror. It is like slow poison, paralyzing the limbs and blurring the mind. . . Never, when in danger, ask yourself, What will they do to me? Instead think, What can I do to prevent them?” 9 likes