Start by marking “Raven (The Raven Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Raven (The Raven Saga, #1)
Read eBook

Raven (The Raven Saga #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  1,635 ratings  ·  145 reviews
After the inexplicable disappearance of Lilly Taylor's parents, she has no choice but to move to Canada where she unravels some frightening yet intriguing family secrets...
Her whole life had been based on a lie. Lilly had grown up in a loveless home with a father who she had barely ever seen and a mother who was... well, not very motherly.
After they mysteriously disappear
Published May 8th 2011 by Suzanne Turner Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Raven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raven

Prince of Wolves by Quinn LoftisUnEnchanted by Chanda HahnThe Fallen Star by Jessica SorensenThe Mind Readers by Lori BrightonHollowland by Amanda Hocking
FREE Ebooks For Teens
69th out of 417 books — 980 voters
UnEnchanted by Chanda HahnPrince of Wolves by Quinn LoftisThe Fallen Star by Jessica SorensenAlien Species Intervention Books 1-3 by J.K. AccinniThe Mind Readers by Lori Brighton
Free Kindle Books (YA)
39th out of 260 books — 399 voters

More lists with this book...

Inga
My review:

I didn’t know what to expect from Suzy Turner’s debut novel, but I am sincerely glad that I got to review this wonderful book! I was captured from the first page. Raven is the first book in the series and gives a very good introduction to the surroundings, characters and story itself. Even though it is the first book in series, then it still gives a standalone story. One more thing which is wonderful about this book – it can be read by middle grade, young adults and adults like me. It
Shawn Bird
I've been persistent in the past, and even when I haven't enjoyed a book, I've ploughed through to the end. Evidently, however, my willpower has weakened and I found that I just could not carry on reading this book.

Lilly was a bit like dirty dishwater as far as characters go. She was dull and lifeless and I felt no qualms about pulling the plug on her.

Here is an example of the dialogue in the book. I think it indicates fairly well why I just had to put the book down:

“Lilly, that is so sad. I wi
Angela Oliver
I found this story an entertaining enough way to fill in a few hours of my time, but ultimately not enough to persist with it. I gave up about the bit where a 17 year old boy starts professing his interest in a 13-year old girl. Lily is seriously too young. I mean... I said to myself "I'm going to pretend she's fifteen" to force myself to continue with it.

She's also rather dull, and Turner's writing style is rather lacking (very much a this happened, and then this happened and here's why that ha
RobinLeigh Morgan
Being a Book Reviewer is not really easy as it appears to be as a considerable of effort goes into writing each review. Regardless of whether I’ve bought the book [cost not coming into play] or have won it in a giveaway, if I can’t give a rating of at least THREE STARS, I don’t post a review.

I had anticipated to get more from the book than had been realized when I got to the last page. What ruined the book’s storyline the most for me has been the age difference between the protagonist Lily, age
Keren Hughes
Aug 08, 2011 Keren Hughes rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of supernatural
For some people, there are many things to get addicted to. For me, it's a good book that gets me hooked. And Raven? It's a fantastic book that had me hooked from start to finish.

It's the story of Lilly Taylor, a teenage girl living in England. The kids at school call her Mellow Yellow because everything she wears is yellow.

Lilly is a lonely girl who doesn't receive affection from her parents. Her mother feeds her tinned food, and usually it is cold.
But she thinks this is normal. After all, sh
Missy LaRae
May 02, 2012 Missy LaRae added it
Shelves: dnf
Here's the deal. I started reading this book, and honestly didn't like it from the first few pages. The writing is terrible. The editing is non-existent. In the beginning of the book Lilly is shoved out of her house by her mother, and goes to school. We learn that Lilly has been "abused", if neglect can be abuse, her whole life. She rarely sees her father, and her mother. They stay cooped up in one of the rooms in their flat and never come out. Okay, fine. Then they disappear, and she takes it i ...more
Laurie
Wow. I think this might just be the worst book I've read in my life. I read the sample and felt doubtful, but figured all those good reviews had to mean it got great later. I struggled through until just past the half way point, hoping it'd get better, but when I was ready to throw my e-reader at a wall, it was time to stop the misery. Unrealistic, cardboard characters. Shallow, undeveloped 'instant' relationships. Boring plot, poorly constructed. Badly written. Very poorly edited. No depth.

Rave
Safia
Well. That was a crap book.
Too bad! This book disappointed me. :( I was SOOOO excited to read it! That just crushed me. I thought it was going to be about this girl whose parents just disappeared, and she's sent to Canada to live with her strange relatives who she hasnt heard of before. And it would all be dark and scary and mysterious and she would find out about the vampires in the dark forest and oooooh, it was going to be exciting!!!
Sadly, that wasn't the storyline. Instead, I was met with
Louisa
Ruined by school boy errors
I was really disappointed because it was a nice idea. Some pacing problems but nevertheless a good sound idea.
But it was riddled with literary mistakes.
From this book the impression that i got of the author was that they'd clearly never met a forteen year old and they read self help books. And heres why-
- Lilys age
Right so it goes from me getting the impression that shes no more than ten years old at the begging of the book to her acting around twelve in the middle to
H.L.
I think this tale had real potential. I still think it does and if you are reading it simply for the story line then it is just ‘different’ enough to get (and keep) your attention. I liked the idea of the strange mother dressed in white watching from the window and the father who hardly ever appears from the locked room. I enjoyed the protagonist’s transitional growth from inept naivety to determined and strong. What I had an issue with was the writing. The pace was so fast that the setting and ...more
Patti Roberts
Raven is Suzy Turner’s first novel in the series, and I found it to be an entertaining read to say the least. I read it over the entire weekend and loved it. The story is about a young girl, Lillian Taylor, who comes home from school one day to discover that her parents have gone missing. This is when Lillian is thrown into her new life in a strange world. She embarks on an incredible journey and slowly begins to unravel the daunting mystery behind who she really is. She constantly struggles to ...more
CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD
This is just the introduction to 13 yrs old Lilly Taylor, living in London with her very cold mother and barely there father... then her parents one day just disappeared and she is being shipped to Canada to her grandfather that she never knew... suddenly she found herself with a real family who cares and loves her and discovered a world full of shapeshifter's, vampires, werewolves and witches... and that she too has this special ability to shift.

It's a bit confusing for me, at times I read it l
Hmr28
This book had a great premise (and that is the only positive I can spit out for this one) but I only made it half-way through. I am sorry, but a 13 year old girl canoodling with a 17 year old boy is quite disgusting. In addition, it was poorly edited and there was NO showing only telling. I hate books that have pages upon pages of expository prose. So...on many levels YUCK! I'd give it a zero if I could.
Jennifer Brown
This book is absolutely fantastic,i couldn`t put it down.It has everything a great fantasy/paranormal books needs,magic,vampires plus loads more.Not only is it a great read for adults but an equally great read for kids too,i can`t wait for more books by this author.
Pauline Barclay
Raven is Suzy Turner's debut novel and is written for teens. If you love YA fantasy, you will love this book. The sequel follows later this year...!
Michelle
Raven is the first installment of the YA Raven Saga by Suzy Turner.

Book Blurb:

After they mysteriously disappear without a trace, Lilly is sent to Canada where
Anna
I was lucky enough to receive a free ebook edition of this book from the Author, Suzy Turner, in exchange for an honest review and while I struggled with some parts of it, overall I enjoyed the story. It's pretty short so it was a quick read, but sadly I couldn't get it on to my Kindle so I struggled with reading it on my computer. Regardless, here are my thoughts:

What I Didn't Like: When I first started reading I didn't feel connected to Lilly, the protagonist, at all. I felt she was sort of bo
Mindy/fangedmom
My review: I received a copy of this ebook from the author on the suggestion of a dear book friend, Megan from Amythest Daydreams. I committed to a review in exchange for the ebook. I would have gladly paid FULL price and then some for this book (I love paperback books and if this would have been a paper book, I might have squeezed the words right out of it hugging it)! I literally could not put it down.

The world that Suzy Turner has created is amazing. I was hooked from the first page. I could
Rute Canhoto
Shaz Goodwin
Raven is Part I in The Raven Saga and is an urban fantasy novel for children and young adults.

I first became aware of Suzy Turner on author Mandy Baggot’s new feature on her blog called Meet and Greet. You may already know that I love video trailers for books so of course I couldn’t resist watching the linked video trailer for Raven …………. and was intrigued enough to download a copy for my Kindle.

Raven begins with Lilly’s day-to-day life, the routine that she has with her parents. It is very rar
Books
For many, the world of the supernatural is real. In this novel, you'll meet vampires, werewolves, changelings, witches; and of course, an evil stepmother.

Having grown up in a cold and loveless home, Lily Taylor never realized how different the first thirteen years of her life had been, compared to that of other children, until the mysterious disappearance of her parents.
Travel to Canada with this shy, yet mature girl, in her quest to unravel the mystery of her parents' disappearance. Read how sh
Morv
chucklesthescot
*I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

Lilly was unloved by her parents and lived a miserable life until they vanished and she was sent to a new life in Canada with the grand-father she had never met. Her new family have supernatural secrets which may put Lilly in danger and threaten her new relationship with Oliver.

I really enjoyed this book because of a wonderful mix of supernatural plot and beautifully written characters. You connect to poor Lill
Kristin Scearce
"Raven" is about a young girl named Lilly Taylor, living in England with her parents, until they disappear one day. After she moves to Canada to live with her paternal grandfather, she finds out there's more to her (and her family) than meets the eye. She must learn to cope with this shocking information, discover the secret to her parents' disappearance, and navigate the course of young love.

I really enjoyed this book. It grabbed me from the beginning, and I found myself drawn to Lilly. Althoug
Kitty Honeycutt
"RAVEN" BY SUZY TURNER

Lately I have been stumbling across some of the most amazing YA writers, and Suzy Turner is by far one of the best. I love the fact that she has brought elements of all supernatural beings into her story and the plot was very well thought out where explanations for every aspect were articulated so there was no mistake. She writes with intelligence and precision and the result is something otherworldy and completely beautiful.

This story is about Lilly Taylor, otherwise know
Kristen
I could not make myself finish this book! I found it to be very poorly written...and there is absolutely no pull to want to find out whats going to happen next. Now for me this is saying something...bc to me the majority of books have a pull, even if it's just a slight one...but this...nada.

Maybe if I was younger I might've enjoyed it but I honestly doubt it.

If you are considering to read this I wouldn't. But if you do I hope you can make it to the end.
Angel
Dec 31, 2011 Angel rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebook, own
To say the book was interesting is all I can give. There were some twists. There were some interesting characters.

However, the book told the story, it didn't show. There were scenes that involved more 'we talked about this and decided' type of inner monologues than conversations.

The first quarter of the book dragged with inner monologues. All from the perspective of this girl that knew NOTHING. She had been trapped in a room, unloved, ridiculed at school. So why are we forced to see her point
Tanya Townsend
Giving it two stars is being generous. I really almost did not make it through this book. So yeah. It was predictably boring. Not to mention the writing style was bland and generic. Once again it was a free on kindle, which I'm glad because I'd be really upset if I wasted money on this.
Arlene
Meh..

It was an interesting story line, It felt like it was written by the 13 year old it was about, I found it creepy for young girls to be paired off at 13 and 14 with life mates and little to guardian, parental care,.. Sorry
The Free Book Cha...: Raven, by Suzy Turner 5 47 Jan 25, 2014 01:57PM
YA Must-Reads: Free ebook in return for reviews 6 13 Aug 10, 2011 06:55AM
  • Tempest (Destroyers, #1)
  • Earth (Elemental, #1)
  • Birthrights (The Awakening Trilogy #1)
  • Gravity (Gravity, #1)
  • Into the Shadows (Into the Shadows, #1)
  • A Chance for Charity (The Immortal Ones, #1)
  • Survival (The Guardians of Vesturon, #1)
  • Night Marchers (Night Marchers, #1)
  • The Fate of Destiny (Fates, #1)
  • Intuition (Intangible, #0.5)
  • The Legacy of Kilkenny (Legacy of Kilkenny, #1)
  • Twin Souls (Twin Souls, #1)
  • Death Whispers (The Death Series, #1)
  • Sojourner (Sojourner, #1)
  • Marked (Soul Guardians, #1)
  • Witchy, Witchy (Spellbound Trilogy, #1)
  • Ignite (Midnight Fire, #1)
  • Glimpse (Zellie Wells, #1)
Although Suzy is a Yorkshire lass at heart, she left her home town of Rotherham, UK, to move to Portugal with her family when she was ten.
The Algarve continues to be her home, where she lives with her childhood sweetheart husband Michael and their menagerie of cats and dogs.
Suzy's career began soon after completing her A levels when she was offered the position of trainee journalist for a local En
More about Suzy Turner...

The Raven Saga (3 books)
  • December Moon (The Raven Saga, #2)
  • The Lost Soul (The Raven Saga, #3)
December Moon (The Raven Saga, #2) The Lost Soul (The Raven Saga, #3) Daisy Madigan's Paradise (Morgan Sisters, #1.5) The Ghost of Josiah Grimshaw (Morgan Sisters, #1) The Temporal Stone (Morgan Sisters, #2)

“But, like I said, it's not just the destination where I found peace. It was the journey too.” 0 likes
“Technically, he survives by drinking the blood of animals. He hasn't drunk human blood for a long, long time,” she answered and I knew that she had already made up her mind about him. Deep down, I doubt that it would have bothered her even if he drank human blood. She was in love and when love hit you like that, nothing else seemed to matter.” 0 likes