Start by marking “Raven (The Raven Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Raven (The Raven Saga, #1)

Read eBook

Raven (The Raven Saga #1)

3.68  ·  Rating Details ·  1,935 Ratings  ·  151 Reviews
After the inexplicable disappearance of Lilly Taylor's parents, she has no choice but to move to Canada where she unravels some frightening yet intriguing family secrets...
Her whole life had been based on a lie. Lilly had grown up in a loveless home with a father who she had barely ever seen and a mother who was... well, not very motherly.
After they mysteriously disappear
Published May 8th 2011 by Suzanne Turner Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Raven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raven

Inga
Jun 06, 2011 Inga rated it it was amazing
My review:

I didn’t know what to expect from Suzy Turner’s debut novel, but I am sincerely glad that I got to review this wonderful book! I was captured from the first page. Raven is the first book in the series and gives a very good introduction to the surroundings, characters and story itself. Even though it is the first book in series, then it still gives a standalone story. One more thing which is wonderful about this book – it can be read by middle grade, young adults and adults like me. It
Shawn Bird
Jun 19, 2012 Shawn Bird rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya, never-read-these
May 10, 2012 Laura rated it it was ok
I've been persistent in the past, and even when I haven't enjoyed a book, I've ploughed through to the end. Evidently, however, my willpower has weakened and I found that I just could not carry on reading this book.

Lilly was a bit like dirty dishwater as far as characters go. She was dull and lifeless and I felt no qualms about pulling the plug on her.

Here is an example of the dialogue in the book. I think it indicates fairly well why I just had to put the book down:

“Lilly, that is so sad. I wi
Angela Oliver
I found this story an entertaining enough way to fill in a few hours of my time, but ultimately not enough to persist with it. I gave up about the bit where a 17 year old boy starts professing his interest in a 13-year old girl. Lily is seriously too young. I mean... I said to myself "I'm going to pretend she's fifteen" to force myself to continue with it.

She's also rather dull, and Turner's writing style is rather lacking (very much a this happened, and then this happened and here's why that ha
Keren Hughes
Aug 08, 2011 Keren Hughes rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of supernatural
For some people, there are many things to get addicted to. For me, it's a good book that gets me hooked. And Raven? It's a fantastic book that had me hooked from start to finish.

It's the story of Lilly Taylor, a teenage girl living in England. The kids at school call her Mellow Yellow because everything she wears is yellow.

Lilly is a lonely girl who doesn't receive affection from her parents. Her mother feeds her tinned food, and usually it is cold.
But she thinks this is normal. After all, sh
Missy LaRae
May 02, 2012 Missy LaRae added it
Shelves: dnf
Here's the deal. I started reading this book, and honestly didn't like it from the first few pages. The writing is terrible. The editing is non-existent. In the beginning of the book Lilly is shoved out of her house by her mother, and goes to school. We learn that Lilly has been "abused", if neglect can be abuse, her whole life. She rarely sees her father, and her mother. They stay cooped up in one of the rooms in their flat and never come out. Okay, fine. Then they disappear, and she takes it i ...more
RobinLeigh Morgan
Jul 11, 2015 RobinLeigh Morgan rated it liked it
Shelves: my-own-books
Being a Book Reviewer is not really easy as it appears to be as a considerable of effort goes into writing each review. Regardless of whether I’ve bought the book [cost not coming into play] or have won it in a giveaway, if I can’t give a rating of at least THREE STARS, I don’t post a review.

I had anticipated to get more from the book than had been realized when I got to the last page. What ruined the book’s storyline the most for me has been the age difference between the protagonist Lily, age
Laurie
Oct 04, 2011 Laurie rated it did not like it
Wow. I think this might just be the worst book I've read in my life. I read the sample and felt doubtful, but figured all those good reviews had to mean it got great later. I struggled through until just past the half way point, hoping it'd get better, but when I was ready to throw my e-reader at a wall, it was time to stop the misery. Unrealistic, cardboard characters. Shallow, undeveloped 'instant' relationships. Boring plot, poorly constructed. Badly written. Very poorly edited. No depth.

Rave
Louisa
Jan 23, 2012 Louisa rated it did not like it
Ruined by school boy errors
I was really disappointed because it was a nice idea. Some pacing problems but nevertheless a good sound idea.
But it was riddled with literary mistakes.
From this book the impression that i got of the author was that they'd clearly never met a forteen year old and they read self help books. And heres why-
- Lilys age
Right so it goes from me getting the impression that shes no more than ten years old at the begging of the book to her acting around twelve in the middle to
H.L.
May 28, 2013 H.L. rated it it was ok
I think this tale had real potential. I still think it does and if you are reading it simply for the story line then it is just ‘different’ enough to get (and keep) your attention. I liked the idea of the strange mother dressed in white watching from the window and the father who hardly ever appears from the locked room. I enjoyed the protagonist’s transitional growth from inept naivety to determined and strong. What I had an issue with was the writing. The pace was so fast that the setting and ...more
Patti Roberts
Jul 31, 2011 Patti Roberts rated it it was amazing
Raven is Suzy Turner’s first novel in the series, and I found it to be an entertaining read to say the least. I read it over the entire weekend and loved it. The story is about a young girl, Lillian Taylor, who comes home from school one day to discover that her parents have gone missing. This is when Lillian is thrown into her new life in a strange world. She embarks on an incredible journey and slowly begins to unravel the daunting mystery behind who she really is. She constantly struggles to ...more
Hmr28
Sep 08, 2011 Hmr28 rated it did not like it
This book had a great premise (and that is the only positive I can spit out for this one) but I only made it half-way through. I am sorry, but a 13 year old girl canoodling with a 17 year old boy is quite disgusting. In addition, it was poorly edited and there was NO showing only telling. I hate books that have pages upon pages of expository prose. So...on many levels YUCK! I'd give it a zero if I could.
Jennifer Brown
May 13, 2011 Jennifer Brown rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely fantastic,i couldn`t put it down.It has everything a great fantasy/paranormal books needs,magic,vampires plus loads more.Not only is it a great read for adults but an equally great read for kids too,i can`t wait for more books by this author. ...more
Pauline Barclay
May 29, 2011 Pauline Barclay rated it it was amazing
Raven is Suzy Turner's debut novel and is written for teens. If you love YA fantasy, you will love this book. The sequel follows later this year...!
Rute Canhoto
Dec 03, 2011 Rute Canhoto rated it really liked it
Shaz Goodwin
Aug 06, 2011 Shaz Goodwin rated it really liked it
Raven is Part I in The Raven Saga and is an urban fantasy novel for children and young adults.

I first became aware of Suzy Turner on author Mandy Baggot’s new feature on her blog called Meet and Greet. You may already know that I love video trailers for books so of course I couldn’t resist watching the linked video trailer for Raven …………. and was intrigued enough to download a copy for my Kindle.

Raven begins with Lilly’s day-to-day life, the routine that she has with her parents. It is very rar
chucklesthescot
Apr 30, 2014 chucklesthescot rated it it was amazing
*I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

Lilly was unloved by her parents and lived a miserable life until they vanished and she was sent to a new life in Canada with the grand-father she had never met. Her new family have supernatural secrets which may put Lilly in danger and threaten her new relationship with Oliver.

I really enjoyed this book because of a wonderful mix of supernatural plot and beautifully written characters. You connect to poor Lill
Morv
Dec 07, 2012 Morv rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, supernatural
Mindy/fangedmom
Nov 30, 2011 Mindy/fangedmom rated it it was amazing
My review: I received a copy of this ebook from the author on the suggestion of a dear book friend, Megan from Amythest Daydreams. I committed to a review in exchange for the ebook. I would have gladly paid FULL price and then some for this book (I love paperback books and if this would have been a paper book, I might have squeezed the words right out of it hugging it)! I literally could not put it down.

The world that Suzy Turner has created is amazing. I was hooked from the first page. I could
Anna (Literary Exploration)
I was lucky enough to receive a free ebook edition of this book from the Author, Suzy Turner, in exchange for an honest review and while I struggled with some parts of it, overall I enjoyed the story. It's pretty short so it was a quick read, but sadly I couldn't get it on to my Kindle so I struggled with reading it on my computer. Regardless, here are my thoughts:

What I Didn't Like: When I first started reading I didn't feel connected to Lilly, the protagonist, at all. I felt she was sort of bo
Michelle
Jul 22, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
Raven is the first installment of the YA Raven Saga by Suzy Turner.

Book Blurb:

After they mysteriously disappear without a trace, Lilly is sent to Canada where
Kitty Honeycutt
Sep 01, 2011 Kitty Honeycutt rated it it was amazing
"RAVEN" BY SUZY TURNER

Lately I have been stumbling across some of the most amazing YA writers, and Suzy Turner is by far one of the best. I love the fact that she has brought elements of all supernatural beings into her story and the plot was very well thought out where explanations for every aspect were articulated so there was no mistake. She writes with intelligence and precision and the result is something otherworldy and completely beautiful.

This story is about Lilly Taylor, otherwise know
CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD
This is just the introduction to 13 yrs old Lilly Taylor, living in London with her very cold mother and barely there father... then her parents one day just disappeared and she is being shipped to Canada to her grandfather that she never knew... suddenly she found herself with a real family who cares and loves her and discovered a world full of shapeshifter's, vampires, werewolves and witches... and that she too has this special ability to shift.

It's a bit confusing for me, at times I read it l
Kristin Scearce
Aug 20, 2012 Kristin Scearce rated it it was amazing
"Raven" is about a young girl named Lilly Taylor, living in England with her parents, until they disappear one day. After she moves to Canada to live with her paternal grandfather, she finds out there's more to her (and her family) than meets the eye. She must learn to cope with this shocking information, discover the secret to her parents' disappearance, and navigate the course of young love.

I really enjoyed this book. It grabbed me from the beginning, and I found myself drawn to Lilly. Althoug
Books
Nov 13, 2011 Books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For many, the world of the supernatural is real. In this novel, you'll meet vampires, werewolves, changelings, witches; and of course, an evil stepmother.

Having grown up in a cold and loveless home, Lily Taylor never realized how different the first thirteen years of her life had been, compared to that of other children, until the mysterious disappearance of her parents.
Travel to Canada with this shy, yet mature girl, in her quest to unravel the mystery of her parents' disappearance. Read how sh
Angel
Dec 31, 2011 Angel rated it did not like it
Shelves: own, ebook
To say the book was interesting is all I can give. There were some twists. There were some interesting characters.

However, the book told the story, it didn't show. There were scenes that involved more 'we talked about this and decided' type of inner monologues than conversations.

The first quarter of the book dragged with inner monologues. All from the perspective of this girl that knew NOTHING. She had been trapped in a room, unloved, ridiculed at school. So why are we forced to see her point
Samantha Towle
Dec 22, 2011 Samantha Towle rated it it was amazing
Raven is a beautifully written and dark story, and completely different to anything YA I have read of late. I felt drawn into Lilly’s world and the sadness that had plagued her all her life. I was compelled reading, especially when the story delved into witches and werewolves, vampires and more! There is also a really endearing romance in the book... but I won’t spoil that for you! All I will say is when I click to the last page, leaving me with a cliff-hanger ending, I was practically shouting ...more
Johanna Frappier
Jul 24, 2011 Johanna Frappier rated it it was amazing
There are so many feelings you want to get back to. With books I want that Twilight feeling back, that Harry Potter feeling-and RAVEN gives it! I'm so happy I get to look forward to a series that I love again. You pull for the characters right from the beginning; the main setting is beautiful and haunting; and the story moves forward at a good clip. I'm so glad Suzy Turner decided to make her story a series and 100 books long would be nice because we'll always want more!!!
Shalini Boland
Raven is a refreshingly different novel suitable for children, teens and adults alike. Suzy Turner’s writing flows and the story pulls you in with its intrigue and mystery. The characters are compelling and the plot unfolds into an exciting adventure.

I can’t wait for book 2 and I’m really glad it’s going to be about Lilly’s friend, December Moon. She’s a character I wished we’d seen more of in Raven, so it’s brilliant we’ll get to find out who she is. All in all this was a fantastic read!
Tanya Townsend
Jun 11, 2015 Tanya Townsend rated it it was ok
Giving it two stars is being generous. I really almost did not make it through this book. So yeah. It was predictably boring. Not to mention the writing style was bland and generic. Once again it was a free on kindle, which I'm glad because I'd be really upset if I wasted money on this.
The Free Book Cha...: Raven, by Suzy Turner 5 47 Jan 25, 2014 01:57PM
YA Must-Reads: Free ebook in return for reviews 6 14 Aug 10, 2011 06:55AM
  • Earth (Elemental, #1)
  • The Fate of Destiny (Fates, #1)
  • Tempest (Destroyers, #1)
  • Intuition (Intangible, #0.5)
  • Birthrights (The Awakening Trilogy #1)
  • Into the Shadows (Into the Shadows, #1)
  • Bound (The Crystor, #1)
  • Gravity (Gravity, #1)
  • Sojourner (Sojourner, #1)
  • A Chance for Charity (The Immortal Ones, #1)
  • Coexist (Keegan's Chronicles, #1)
  • Mortal Obligation (Dark Betrayal Trilogy, #1)
  • The Pearl Savage (Savage, #1)
  • Twin Souls (Twin Souls, #1)
  • Meeting Destiny (Destiny, #1)
  • The Legacy of Kilkenny (Legacy of Kilkenny, #1)
  • Night Marchers (Night Marchers, #1)
  • The Watchers (The Watchers, #1)
Although Suzy is a Yorkshire lass at heart, she left her home town of Rotherham, UK, to move to Portugal with her family when she was ten.
The Algarve continues to be her home, where she lives with her childhood sweetheart husband Michael and their menagerie of cats and dogs.
Suzy's career began soon after completing her A levels when she was offered the position of trainee journalist for a local En
More about Suzy Turner...

The Raven Saga (3 books)
  • December Moon (The Raven Saga, #2)
  • The Lost Soul (The Raven Saga, #3)

“But, like I said, it's not just the destination where I found peace. It was the journey too.” 1 likes
“I” 0 likes