Start by marking “30 Minute Plan” as Want to Read:
30 Minute Plan
Open Preview read book* *Different edition

30 Minute Plan

3.02 of 5 stars 3.02  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  26 reviews
It's the dusk of the zombie apocalypse. What's left of mankind is huddled in the husks of the cities of the world. There are fewer of the walking dead, but they are just as dangerous as ever. After scientists come up with the brilliant idea of scent-marking them something goes wrong and a soldier is taken. When a fellow 'dog' decides to take matters into his own hands to r ...more
Published February 22nd 2011

To ask other readers questions about 30 Minute Plan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 30 Minute Plan

Mallory Heart Reviews
Feb 07, 2012 Mallory Heart Reviews rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Janene Imgrund
Recommended to Mallory Heart by: Gerald Rice
This must be the first Zombie story in which I had to run to the dictionary! Well, I learned something-and I also learned that Zombies who achieve higher-order thinking are really to be feared!

This snappy little short story delivers the goods, and convinced me to forego my self-imposed ban on Zombie fiction and become a Zombie fan once again. Gerald Rice has a minimalist approach to prose here (perhaps he is “the Hemingway of the Zombie realm”?) which makes for a taut story with a great plot lin
Robert Beveridge
Gerald Rice, 30 Minute Plan (Gerald Rice, 2011)

30 Minute Plan has one of the more interesting, not to mention pragmatic, premises in military zombie fiction—if you get infected, you have a half-hour to off yourself, or one of your squadmates will do it for you. (Thus, the 30-minute plan.) That is just one facet of the originality to be found here, which is both a surprise and a pleasure to read; Rice has managed to cook up something that you haven't actually seen before in the horribly oversatur
Dale
Gerald Rice's '30 Minute Plan' offers readers a different take on the zombie apocalypse.

Scientists decide it will be beneficial to scent mark the zombies and put the job off onto the remaining soldiers or "dogs". I'm still not clear as to why they would want to do this. Maybe to cover up the awful stench of death and decomposition I'm not sure. Regardless it's an entertaing read.

What I really liked about this short story are the different types of zombies Mr. Rice introduced.

If you are a fan of
Ana
A quick read to help me speed up my challenge. I really would rather have read it without the curse words. Not to be in a "holier than thou" mood but it was just from the very first paragraph already using that language. I hear that language on a day to day basis and would really prefer my books not to be like that when I read them. I'll choose better the next time I need a quick book to help me in my reading challenge. I thought it would be fun/funny to read, given the whole subject of the book ...more
Carolyn Injoy
Aug 15, 2014 Carolyn Injoy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gerald R. Rice fans, post apocalyptic, zombies
Recommended to Carolyn by: Amazon
30 Minute Plan by Gerald R. Rice I received a free Kindle copy from Amazon for review. This is FIVE star story throughout & one of the best post apocalyptic stories I have read.

pictures of zombies photo: zombies-1 zombies-1.gif

The world is now divided between small pockets of survivors of scientists called 'brains' & soldiers called 'dogs' used to eliminate the zombies called 'ziggies'. Scientists came up with scent-marking for the zombies. It might have backfired.

Danton was a head dog & balked when the scientists wanted the dogs t
Ghostleegirl
Wow. Not really a big fan of zombies, but having said that... Wow.

I enjoyed this little gem very much. I really liked the way that the zombies weren't quite the usual zombie we read about and that there were even more zombies that were a little different from those!

All in all it was a great read and I really look forward to reading more from this author.
Akasha
Scented zombies. One of the more interesting spins on the zombies infections/plagues that's out there. Liked that these zombies could actually function on a higher level of thinking. It's a nice change of pace.
Glinda Harrison
I found this story interesting, although, quite honestly, I don't think I fully understood it. It was enjoyable, but needed some details explained. But lemon-scented zombies? Who could pass that up? :)
Angela
Decent short story with an original take on the zombie story.
Plenty of action and would work well as a longer story or novella.
Tanya
I liked this, pretty eerie and definitely worth reading
Nikki
*contains spoilers* Very quick read. If your looking for a short story just to pass the time, this military style zombie genre will do. I wasnt horribly impressed with the plot line and the dialogue was subpar. The authors take on zombie hords is unique though and his plot is original. for me this story was not easy to relate to and many times left me saying "who would actually think or say that in that situation". The general idea of the main character so quickly becoming protective of a little ...more
Worst 'book' I can remember reading - thankfully it was incredibly short or I'd have definitely given up before the end!
I enjoy zombie literature and it's always good to read something a bit different so they don't become to samey, but this was different for all the wrong reasons.
It made no sense, the plot was pretty much incomprehensible, from the get go I didn't really have any idea what was going on - I kept hoping some explanations would be forthcoming, but they weren't. To top it all it end
Dawn Peers
30 Minute Plan is a quick read as you can imagine from the title. It is a well written and original piece, if a little far-reaching in what it expects you to believe (as far as genre constraints go). Zombies here are ziggies and we follow one protagonist in his hunt to give a comrade a dignified end. The action is somewhat disjointed but the writing is fluid. I would love to give this 4 stars but because the concepts are rushed and hard to take on face value I cannot.

Would love to see this explo
Kay Glass
I'm just not 100% sure what I thought of this one. The grammar was fine, punctuation, spelling, etc... As far as the editing and formatting, I had no complaints. As for the story? I just can't say how I felt about it. It wasn't a bad story, but it was confusing. Half the time I was unsure where the storyline was going, and when I reached the end of the story, it took a minute to realize it was over. The ending was just too abrupt.
Kai
Meh. That's all. Just meh.

Their name for the zombies - Ziggy - grated on my nerves after the third time and it kept being repeated over and over. I could have done without the part where he's pondering if zombies eat turds. The rest of the story went all pear shaped pretty quick. Nothing was explained, really, too many details left out, never did tie up some pieces. The pacing was weird... Meh.
David Nicol
I enjoyed the concept of the story and, without putting any spoilers in, the 'classes' of infected. However I found some of the parts difficult to read/understand. I'm not sure if this was deliberate, to emulate the articulation of a 'dog' but the early section of the story didn't flow smoothly for me. It was a good short read, but would have liked the story to have been more involved.
Amy Neufeld
Good book!!

best book ever love the book this book is great I especially love the ending very juicy (good) if you have not read need to!!
Rachel
Certainly different. From different mutations to zombies with fruity flavours, it was definitely not the usual zombie chimp-fest. Enjoyable, though.
Troy Wilson
Some of the "slang" was trying to hard. Prior military and I thought all the nicknames for the zombies were over the top annoying.
Cathy
Free short story.
Zombies and mutants................................ not much more to say.
MsBDiamondDiva1
Very weird zombie take, but I still liked it and even better it was a short story!!!
Jen
THIS WAS A FREE KINDLE BOOK

I enjoyed it. It was a fast read
Nena Melendez
Too confusing got on my nerve...just stop reading it.on 2the next
Andy
A zombie short story. Not a great one.
Jason Pilato
Jason Pilato marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Now on Goodreads for free! 3 10 Jul 04, 2012 03:29PM
  • Hansel and Gretel Are Dead (Zombie Fairy Tales #2)
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 502
  • Circus of the Dead
  • The Wild Country (Living with the Dead #4)
  • LZR-1143 Within
  • Valley Of Death, Zombie Trailer Park
  • Jailbreak (Hungry, #0.5)
  • Brothers in Arms (The Becoming #1.5)
  • Best New Zombie Tales Vol. 1
  • Dead and Moaning in Las Vegas
  • GAMELAND: Deep Into The Game (S. W. Tanpepper's GAMELAND, #1)
  • Zomblog: The Final Entry (Zomblog, #3)
  • Sven the Zombie Slayer
  • The Z Club
  • After Life
  • Dead Highways: Origins (Book 1)
  • Zombie Day Care (Impact, #1)
  • Shambling With the Stars (Living With the Dead, #2.5)
Fleshbags The Ghost Toucher Tales from an Apartment Goners The Beggar's Bowl