Start by marking “Writing Yoga: A Guide to Keeping a Practice Journal” as Want to Read:
Writing Yoga: A Guide to Keeping a Practice Journal

Writing Yoga: A Guide to Keeping a Practice Journal

Writer and editor Bruce Black began studying yoga five years ago, after his knees could no longer stand the stress of running. Shortly after taking his first class, he started keeping a journal to explore his experiences on the mat. Out of his journal and his devotion to Anusara Yoga has emerged a book that delves into the nexus of yoga, writing, and life.
In "Writing Yoga
Published March 1st 2011 by Rodmell Press

To ask other readers questions about Writing Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Yoga

Kelly
May 24, 2011 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just in time for me to read before I begin taking my upcoming yoga and tai chi classes* came a copy of Writing Yoga: A Guide to Keeping a Practice Journal by Bruce Black. I first "met" Bruce through his wonderful blog, Wordswimmer, and have gotten to know him better over the past several years thanks to the CYBILS Awards. Bruce is a kind, generous, thoughtful person, as any one who has read his posts and his in-depth interviews can see, and he has written a book that reflects those qualities.

The
Rachel Hawes
Oct 22, 2011 Rachel Hawes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga, writing, 2011
When I was doing my yoga teacher training we had to keep a journal of our practice, how we felt, how it related to our lives.

Over the years this unbelievably helpful practice has fallen by the wayside.

But after reading this book I've been yoga journalling again. Part memoir, part writer's guide, part yoga fanbook, Bruce Black uses his own story to help you realise what happens on your mat can reflect what is happening in your life and uses a series of brilliant prompts to kick start your writin
If you like the mindfulness meditation books of Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn (Wherever You Go There You Are, Full Catastrophe Living), and if you have an interest in writing, yoga, or both, then I highly suggest Bruce Black's combination memoir and how-to guide, Writing Yoga. Through gentle advice, suggestions, and examples from his own life, Black advocates bringing the same caring attentiveness fostered through the discipline of yoga into keeping a journal. He describes how observing one's yoga practice ...more
Tami
Apr 15, 2012 Tami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m finding that over the years, yoga has changed for me. In my youth, I practiced yoga for the exercise. My drive was competitive and I would often force myself to do poses that I probably wasn’t ready to do. After a hiatus of many years, I’m now looking at yoga in a new light. Now, it’s more quiet and personal, like a continuous path of self-discovery.

I think, Writing Yoga reflects and compliments my new journey. In this book, the author shares his own journey to yoga and what he has learned
Amanda
May 24, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have ever done any journaling at all this book will not offer new insights. What makes this book an interesting read however is Black's own journal. Throughout he gives excerts from his own journal. It is his personal growth through yoga and his journal that makes this book worth reading. Perhaps after reading this book my own journal will become a little more elegant...perhaps not. : )
Rachelle Smith
Bruce Black has found a way to combine both his passions, yoga and writing, into one. Those passions are then used to explore life. How glorious.

He asks a lot of great questions! I have now read this book and will go back and use the questions to journal. An awesome and thoughtful read.
Mo
Mo rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2013
Camellia
Jul 01, 2015 Camellia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend this book if you are a writer and practice yoga
Rebeca
Rebeca rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2012
Sarah rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
May 05, 2012
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was ok
Oct 11, 2015
Teresa
Teresa rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2012
Trish
Dec 24, 2012 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for those wanting to start journaling their personal practice!
Tiffany Campbell
Tiffany Campbell rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2014
Alex
Alex rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2014
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Marianna
Marianna rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2015
Frances Olinger
Frances Olinger rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
Lisa Aitken
Lisa Aitken rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2013
Mrs Annette Connelly
Mrs Annette Connelly rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2012
Pegmark
Pegmark rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Megan Norris
Megan Norris rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Alia Makki
Alia Makki rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2012
Katie Kurdt
Katie Kurdt rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2015