Start by marking “The Magdalene Cipher” as Want to Read:
The Magdalene Cipher

The Magdalene Cipher

2.97 of 5 stars 2.97  ·  rating details  ·  394 ratings  ·  36 reviews
From the shadows of history -- out of the ancient prophecies and sacred texts -- comes a conspiracy so vast, so deep, so earth-shattering that the CIA itself is merely a cover for it.

The ritualistic slaughter of a college professor right under the nose of CIA agent Jack Dunphy has damned the disgraced operative to a living hell of paper-pushing obscurity. But Dunphy's not
Published May 10th 2011 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Magdalene Cipher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magdalene Cipher

Mirah W
The only reason I even finished this book is b/c I have this "thing" about finishing the books I start. I didn't think the plot was really well thought out and most of the characters were kind of annoying. It seemed like things were picking up in the middle and then it just went to an end that I don't think was a real conclusion.
Superiu
Directo de mi blog:

Hoy concluí por fin con la lectura de El último Merovingio, novela de Jim Hougan y que fue un Best Seller (no sé que se necesita para ser un Best Seller, pero casi todos los que he leído según esto lo son). La novela en sí está entretenida. Trata de un agente de la CIA que de buenas a primeras lo sacan de su habitual actividad en Londres a raíz de un asesinato en el que él está remotamente involucrado y lo "congelan" en actividades rutinales y sin chiste.

Desde el poco poder o
Nancy Oakes
This book was very strange, in fact, it was so strange that it detracted a great deal from my reading.

After a bit of research, I discovered that a) this book was published originally in 2000 under the title of Kingdom Come and b) the author, Jim Hougan, along with his wife, write books under the authorship of John Case. Now John Case's stuff I can get into (well, most of it), but this book was kooky. Supposedly it explains everything from Roswell to the plethora of world-wide Virgin Mary sighti
J.M.
To be completely honest, I was expecting this to be a Da Vinci Code clone. The book was first published under the title Kingdom Come, and rereleased with a title that would obviously appeal to DVC fans (it’s a recipe for success, no? Name of someone from the book + synonym for “code,” violà! Runaway bestseller in the making).

But I was surprised. Yes, eventually the book steers towards a secret society or church that believes Mary Magdalene gave birth to Christ’s child, but that doesn’t come up u
El Segoviano
También aquí hace mucho tiempo que lo leí, pero, sin embargo, guardo un buen recuerdo del libro.
Es una novela negra, hay asesinatos, espías, la Cia, y además introduce elementos de una antigua sociedad de mas de dos milenios que pretende darle un toque historicista al tema.
Recuerdo que me gusto bastante y creo que estaba bien escrito, de esas novelas que te las lees de una pasada porque mantienen el interés a lo largo de toda su lectura.
Ana Bolox
"El último merovingio" es una novelita para pasar el rato. Eso sí, lo pasas bien.

Sin demasiadas pretensiones, el autor va llevándote por una serie de peripecias de las que el protagonista, en ocasiones, se ve muy apurado para salir.

La novela está bien construida, conforme a los cánones actuales de novela rápida, los personajes son creíbles, no así la relación romántica entre el protagonista y su novia: sSe trata de una relación interesante, pero poco verosímil. Los diálogos son fluidos, la tram
Kate
What a truly terrible novel! I bought this novel as I have an interest in the conspiracy theories surrounding Mary Magdalene. Although this is fiction in genre I expected it to be a lot better than it was. Mary Magdalene wasn’t even mentioned until I was two-thirds through the book and the link made was tenuous. To me this was a “boy’s book” through and through, although a poor one at that. The writer tried to make it action in genre but failed miserably. Rather than a plot, filled with conspira ...more
Pamela
Jun 21, 2014 Pamela rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery, conspiracy readers
Did it ever occur to you that crop circles, cattle mutilations, and the aliens of Area 51 might all be created by the CIA to manipulate the beliefs of the people? If you read this book, Jack Dunphy can tell you all about it.

It's a fun book, but a little creepy.
Mailmanr5
The plot is rather common but I like the main characters & would like to see them return. Of course Hougan is busy with his Event Group series and probably doesn't have time.
Pedro Ferreira
Más una lectura en castellano a fin de me entrenar en esto idioma. Es una historia fraca, poco inspirada, sensacionalista, todavia muy bien documentada - ideal para aquellos a que les gusta escenários de espiones, pero sin grandes espectativas hacia el argumento. La premisa és simple: Jesus ha dejado una linaje a través de Maria Magdalena, que ha huido hacia Francia tras su muerte. ¿Los resulta familiar, no? ¿Ha sido mi impression o [i]El Código DaVinci[/i], a pesar de toda la popularidad, no ha ...more
Stefan Ellis
To say that this book is a rip-off of Dans Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" is not fair, since this book was written first, and so by quite a few years.

I did not like the book since I could feel no warmth for the main character, and the scenarios panned out too quickly to my liking. The open-ended feel to the ending of the book also is something I dislike in general.

I normally give writers a second chance, but since I have never heard of Mr Hougan before I had to use a birthday book voucher, nor hav
John Whitaker
It carried one along well. I had a hard time suspending belief at times. Good fun
David
This novel is somewhat tongue-in-cheek. A number of the characters
have the same names as some fairly obscure figures in the JFK assassination drama (they are entirely different people). Like it is an inside joke...The cover says "A Novel of Conspiracy." Hougan
has written some non-fiction books such as 'Spooks' (about the American
intelligence community) and 'Secret Agenda' which partially deal with
various alleged conspiracies. The thesis of this novel is not completely
nuts....The story is quite e
Pete
This was a very enjoyable novel to read and I highly recommend it. The story is very well crafted with some great characters. Plenty of action and suspense to hold the readers attention. The unexpected bonus that comes with the story is some great humor that the author uses liberally. I thought there might be a bit of trouble with the ending to this story but the author handled it skillfully.
Kiko Fábregas
Nota: 6,5

Tras un asesinato de un profesor de psicología un agente secreto de la CIA se ve obligado a abandonar su misión y a realizar trabajos secundarios. La investigación de la relación de estos dos hechos le hace enfrentarse con la CIA y ser perseguido por todo el mundo. El motivo es una hermandad secreta, la de los merovingios verdaderos descendientes de cristo.
Lori
uhmmm... i cant think of the main plot, so im giving it two stars.... I know it was one of the many follow up books i hungrily digested as a result of my Dan Brown fixation last yr....

It must be a good thing that i dont remember it as being terribly awful, right?

But it cant be that great if i cant remember what the heck it was about...
Abigail
I kept waiting for something exciting to happen...and it never really did. There was A LOT of build up to pretty much no conclusion. There was a secret society involved, lots of secrets and fake passports leading to very few satisfactory answers. It was incredibly anticlimactic. I felt cheated.
Jennifer Prill
I really liked the book: it had just the right amount of details and held my interest well; the characters were well-developed and the plot was intriguing. My only complaint is that the ending felt a little too rushed and maybe a bit too disconnected.
Janet
I started this a while ago and put it down. This time I was determined to complete.

Not a great book - I preferred "The Genesis Code" by far.

Thank goodness I got this at the end of a book sale. A box for $1 - says it all really.
Sue
Apr 25, 2011 Sue rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cindy
Shelves: own
The author, Jim Hougan also writes with his wife, under the name John Case. I have read and liked all their books. I liked this book as well. There was plenty of action and I liked the cat and mouse type chase throughout the book.
Peter
Yet another DaVinci code knock off... What, this was published four years earlier? For shame Dan Brown. Only this time the Goddess cult are the bad guys. Entertaining, don't expect intellectual stimulation though.
Sue T
I generally tend to find the whole Jesus/Mary Magdalene relationship genre interesting, but this was a rather poorly done book. I couldn't really feel for most of the characters and the story just didn't flow.
Melody
Not The Davinci Code but certainly not a bad read either. There is quite a bit of suspense once you get past the stage setting and the ending (while a bit cliched) is still pretty good.
Cindy
This book keeps you on the edge of your seat. The author has created kikeable charachters, interesting locales, a terrific plot for an intriguing thriller. Difficult to put down.
Stella
The ending was boring, no "bombshell" whatsoever. Also, the story itself doesn't reveal too much what is the actual reason for this society for me. For me, it was a bit of a waste to read.
Jjpaterna
Muchas páginas para no llegar a ninguna conclusión. La conspiración eterna de la CIA y entresijos de la misma. Un título alternativo hubiese sido "La CIA y los OVNIS".
David Schwan
This book connects the CIA to crop circles, to cattle mutilation, to UFO's, and the Mergovian Kings. Plot is good, the writing does not flow well in the first 50 pages.
Xavier
Oh my, this one is relly bad, specially the ending. I liked the first three parts of the book, the last one is just bad to worse.
Linda
Nov 16, 2008 Linda rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one

Tried to get into this 3 separate times, but it was just too painful. Sophomoric writing style, too cool protagonist.
Xavier
  • The Templar Concordat
  • Adept
  • Revelation
  • Pyramid
  • The Dead Virgins (The India Sommers Mysteries, #1)
  • Day Of Confession
  • Midwyf: Liza
  • Grand Jury
  • The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3)
  • Arabesk (Cetin Ikmen, #3)
  • The Last Testament
  • A Winter Wish (My Secret Unicorn, #7)
  • Without Mercy
  • The Thirteenth Apostle
  • Sphinx
  • The Icon
  • Trance State
  • Why Things Bite Back: Technology and the Revenge of Unintended Consequences
El maestro del mal Spooks: The Haunting of America: The Private Use of Secret Agents Secret Agenda: Watergate, Deep Throat, and the CIA Kingdom Come Decadence: Radical Nostalgia, Narcissism, And Decline In The Seventies