Start by marking “The Corner Shop” as Want to Read:
The Corner Shop

The Corner Shop

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  166 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Tomorrow Lucille Abbey was supposed to be in romantic Paris with the handsome, correct London stockbroker who had asked her to be his wife. But at the last moment she had to fly to the huge country home of Professor Hallam to straighten out a tangled business problem.

By the time she got to Paris, the Professor's strange life had changed her own, and the romantic trip with
Hardcover
Published January 1st 1967 by William Morrow (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Corner Shop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Corner Shop

Gayle
Jan 21, 2009 Gayle rated it really liked it
Elizabeth Cadell was a prolific writer of frothy romantic comedies from--oh, the 1940s or so into the 1970s. For those who prefer to keep the bedroom door firmly closed, Cadell is a worthwhile find. The settings are modern and mostly English, with occasional forays into France and Portugal. Although long out of print, her books can be found in most civic libraries and are worth checking into and out.

The heroine of The Corner Shop is Lucille Abbey, the beautiful and all-business owner of a secret
Bree (AnotherLookBook)
May 12, 2014 Bree (AnotherLookBook) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of quaint but original British novels
A novel about a woman who helps a grumbling professor catalogue his late mother’s possessions, and in doing so manages to change the trajectory of her own life. 1966.

Full review (and other recommendations!) at Another look book

A solid 4-star read. It's short and reads rather like a romantic comedy play, but the characters are rich and unexpected. Favorite line: "a man with a long pointed nose who washed his own socks every night and hung them on the window sill to dry." Swoon! I'm smitten.
Veronique
What a lovely little gem from 1966...

I'd never heard of Elizabeth Cadell but searching more about D.E. Stevenson, I discovered this author's name as well as a few others. This English lady, born and bred in India, and who lived in England and the Med, penned over fifty novels! Although her books are not exactly easy to find, four of them have been made available digitally.

The Corner Shop is a light read, mixing comedy, romance and mystery. Mrs Lucille Abbey, divorced lady of 28, owner of a secre
Jane
Apr 21, 2014 Jane rated it liked it
Elizabeth Cadell’s books kept popping up on lists of recommendations, and when I did my research I was disappointed to learn that they were all out of print, because they sounded lovely. But luck was with me: I spotted a very pretty edition of her 1966 novel ‘The Corner Shop’ and I pounced.

I quickly found myself very taken with the heroine, with a wonderful adventure, and with a fine romance.

Lucille Abbey was an attractive young divorcee, and she was the owner of a successful secretarial agency.
Peggy Van wunnik
Sep 24, 2014 Peggy Van wunnik rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Elizabeth Cadell when I was in junior high school. I have read nearly all her books. This is by far my favorite, and I read it at least once a year. I won't discuss the plot since other reviewers do that, but do want to say that I think this would make a really cute romantic movie and wish Nora Ephron were still here to make it! Cadell's books are mostly all available online, but some of the earlier editions are very pricy. I was lucky enough to be able to find a lot of them ...more
Linda K
Mar 10, 2011 Linda K rated it really liked it
Start with a girl who runs an agency to hire secretaries for clients, send her on a trip to discover why three in a row have quit after one day each for a quirky professor, throw in a trip to Paris to have a working holiday at her Aunt's little shop, add an art dealer looking for valuable (or not?) paintings, someones' stolen china, a fiance who is all wrong for this girl. Voila! You have such an enjoyable read as this. Funny, insightful, thoughtful; a little mystery with lots of fun. I want to ...more
Theresa
Sep 27, 2013 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction

Three and a half stars...for an easy, light read.

The first half of the book was fun and engaging. Lucille decides to go see for herself why her competent and capable secretaries are not lasting more than a day with the new position she finds for them. She has one day to solve this puzzle before her trip to Paris and her impending marriage becomes a reality.

"Her way of life, she knew, was about to change. She would marry Malcolm Donne and become the mother of his children and live on a farm and b
Ann
Oct 29, 2012 Ann rated it it was ok
Shelves: anglophilia
I usually enjoy Elizabeth Cadell's delicate and sentiment-free romances. But this one was not a winner. Yet the premise is appealing enough. Lucille Abbey, owner of a secretarial agency, goes on a fact-finding mission to figure out why one particular employer has made three of her best workers throw in the towel after a single day. She finds a workaholic professor in a decaying mansion. She somehow decides to take on the challenge herself, and helps the professor sort out the contents of a large ...more
Christina
Feb 20, 2014 Christina rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I had never heard of Elizabeth Cadell before picking this up at a second-hand store, and now I'm wondering why! She most definitely had a sense of humor and a backbone. I didn't know what to expect from such an old romance/mystery novel, but the ideas and conversations could take place today, though with more foul language and less creativity. The characters and imagery are amazing. You can see the cobblestones, the cottage, the cars. Ms. Cadell will be on my radar fr ...more
Judy
Dec 03, 2015 Judy rated it really liked it
Young city woman in 60's running a secretarial agency and following up on a problem client in the country. Trying to solve a theft and deciding about the wisdom of her engagement to a straight laced businessman. The situation moves to Paris where her problem client arrives to assist with solving the theft.
Cindy
Sep 10, 2007 Cindy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: old-fashioned romance lovers
Shelves: fiction
Lucille runs a secretarial agency. She's all set to go to Paris, but first she has to meet with one troublesome client. It seems the professor just can't keep a secretary.

Lucille soon sees why when she meets him. He's impossible. But her professional streak demands that she finish the job before joining her aunt and fiancee in Paris. But once she gets there, she has to face her doubts about her relationship and her future.

An old-fashioned story, one that would appeal to fans of D E Stevenson. I
Alisha
Oct 10, 2012 Alisha rated it it was ok
I went into this novel totally prepared to like it. It had such a cute premise! Nothing bad or objectionable in it; it just didn't have much sparkle. The professor was actually kind of a cardboard character, and Lucille's transition from "I'm not sure I can stand this job in this primitive place with this ridiculous man for more than a couple of weeks" to "I wish I was back there...in that lovely house...with that great professor" was just too quick and unexplained. The mystery was kind of halfh ...more
Clara-Ellen
May 09, 2016 Clara-Ellen rated it it was amazing
I loved this wonderful story by Elizabeth Cadell! I loved the grumpy-but-adorable Professor, loved Lucille, loved the scenes in England as well as those in France..I can still see the main characters taking a stroll along the streets of Paris! What a happy book - a little romance with a bit of mystery thrown in for good measure, and with a satisfying ending..
Julie
Sep 28, 2013 Julie rated it liked it
3.5 Very dated, but a very charming romance. Lucille is leaving her fiance and helping her aunt run her shop in Paris, all while running her own business and finding new love. Sappy- I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but I enjoyed this light read.
Laurie Griffin stacey
Aug 14, 2013 Laurie Griffin stacey rated it it was amazing
Opened a new world -- so happy to discover Elizabeth Cadell
Diane Lynn
Aug 16, 2014 Diane Lynn rated it really liked it
Romance, comedy and a little mystery.
Carrieuoregon
Donna C. Dunn
Donna C. Dunn rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Living Medium
Living Medium marked it as to-read
Sandra S Resner
Sandra S Resner is currently reading it
Alby cartner
Alby cartner rated it really liked it
Corrie
Corrie rated it liked it
May 26, 2016
Teresa Rust
Teresa Rust marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Gheeta
Gheeta marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Beverly Clemmer
Beverly Clemmer marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Norland
Norland rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
  • Vittoria Cottage (Dering Family, #1)
  • Marry in Haste
  • The Year at Thrush Green
  • Tregaron's Daughter
  • Here Comes the Sun
  • Dark Country (Dungirri, #2)
  • The Rosemary Tree
  • Death of a Garage Sale Newbie (Bargain Hunters Mysteries, #1)
  • The Wind off the Small Isles
Elizabeth Violet Cadell was born in 1903 in Calcutta, India. During the Great War she studied music in London, but refused a musical career and returned to India where she married and had two children. After she was widowed ten years later, she returned to England.

Elizabeth wrote her first book 'My Dear Aunt Flora' during the Second World War in 1946, thereafter producing another 51 light-hearted,
More about Elizabeth Cadell...