Start by marking “The Friendly Air” as Want to Read:
The Friendly Air

The Friendly Air

Young, beautiful Emma Challis should have been happy about her engagement to Gerald Delmont. After all, wasn't he a brilliant and sophisticated young man and wasn't his legal career one of the most promising in all of London? Everyone seemed to agree that Gerald was the perfect husband for Emma -- everyone but Lady Grantly.

When Gerald first requests that Emma help Lady Gr
Hardcover
Published 1971 by Morrow (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Friendly Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Friendly Air

Diane Lynn
Jul 11, 2016 Diane Lynn rated it really liked it
Another winner from Elizabeth Cadell. I enjoy her books for the many interesting characters she includes. The characters work so well together. A bit of romance and a problem to solve make for a good way to while away a rainy afternoon. I love the covers by illustrator Mircea Vasiliu and thankfully my library has most of them!
Alana/MiaTheReader
Jul 12, 2016 Alana/MiaTheReader rated it really liked it
This was my first Cadell book and I'm getting my hands on as many as I can! She's great for fans of D.E. Stevenson or just anyone who likes a good read that includes well developed characters and a little romance without any smut. Cadell reminds me of a modern Jane Austen for her almost predictable but still engaging stories and characters.
Maria
Dec 13, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Ms. Cadell's character depictions are wonderfully true to life, with eccentric and zany people thrown into the mix. The reader feels like he or she has entered another world, one with different mores and manners and an elegance not often found in today's social interactions. Emma at first glance seems to be a follower with not an aggressive trait in her make-up, but slowly she grows a backbone and talks back to Gerald who is constantly putting her down. Her dressing down of Mr. Weybridge is ...more
Clara Ellen
May 03, 2016 Clara Ellen rated it it was amazing
This was the first Elizabeth Cadell book I ever read and it's still one of my favorites..just reading this relaxes me and puts me mentally on the sunny coast of Portugal, hearing the sea breeze blow through the trees! The main characters are great, the boyfriend back home in England is deliciously boorish, the old lady is so fun..just a great book all around..Light and happy reading, just the kind I like best and so good at doing just what I want a book to do - take me to a 'calm and happy ...more
Beth
Jan 13, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing
I love Elizabeth Cadell. I read her books years ago, and had bought a couple used ones. Over the years I've re-read some, though they're hard to find because libraries are ridding their shelves of such old books. This past summer I started re-reading some again, and managed to pick some up at the library book sale. I'd lent this one to my mom and retrieved it after Christmas. I read it in about a day and a half. Loved it once again.
Darla
Jul 22, 2014 Darla rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
EC style is fun and breezy and I would try another of her books. I just found Emma's and Gerald's relationship grating.
Mindy
Jul 23, 2015 Mindy added it
Impeccably Cadell. Romance on foreign shores; everything falls into place. Monied beaus more attractive abroad.
Marilyn Rayburn
Jan 22, 2016 Marilyn Rayburn rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed this book.
Saralyn
Jun 16, 2010 Saralyn rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
I really enjoyed the way this was written. Very laid-back book. And some fun characters.
Bookgirl
Nov 19, 2016 Bookgirl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed it. It is up there with my other favorite Elizabeth Cadell book "The Corner Shop." Lovely story set in England & Portugal. Recommended for fans of light reading with a little romance mixed in. Great type of book to read if your feeling down or stressed out:)
Sharon Kay
Oct 01, 2016 Sharon Kay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just Great

Very good book . Totally in the Cadell tradition. Independent herione, spoiled bully for fiance and interesting new romantic interest
Laura rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2016
Betsy
Betsy rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2011
Mary Patricia
Mary Patricia rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2012
Terry
Terry rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2011
Laura Sorensen
Laura Sorensen rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Amber Holley
Amber Holley rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2015
Janga
Janga rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2008
Karen Andrews
Karen Andrews rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2013
Pittsford Community Library
Pittsford Community Library rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Judith Humes
Judith Humes rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2013
Blodget
Blodget rated it it was ok
Oct 21, 2016
Laurie Griffin stacey
Laurie Griffin stacey rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2013
S. Annmarie Smith
S. Annmarie Smith rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2015
Anne2575
Anne2575 rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2016
Gail
Gail rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2011
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Elizabeth Violet Cadell was born in 1903 in Calcutta, India. During the Great War she studied music in London, but refused a musical career and returned to India where she married and had two children. After she was widowed ten years later, she returned to England.

Elizabeth wrote her first book 'My Dear Aunt Flora' during the Second World War in 1946, thereafter producing another 51 light-hearted,
More about Elizabeth Cadell...