The Orphan Trains: Placing Out in America

The Orphan Trains: Placing Out in America

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  7 reviews
This is the story of a unique emigration and resettlement of at least 100,000 childrean and several thousand adults, from the East coast to the West in an attempt to find homes for the urban poor.
Published February 1st 1994 by Bison Books (first published 1992)

Charles
not what I expected
Andrea
The subject matter is fascinating, but the book was very dry, more like something you would read while doing research. My book club read it and felt the same. We have a member whose great-grandma came to Indiana on an orphan train, and made the discussion more interesting.
Ann Hein
This is a non-fiction research paper giving the facts out the so-called Orphan Trains. I'll admit I didn't read every word, but found interesting and factual information which is a good background for reading some of the non-fiction works on this subject.
Pmacke
a little disappointing ... I was looking for a book more about the kids, but didn't want to read a memoir ... some good pieces but too much about the mechanics of the orphan organizations themselves
Katie
At times, the information seemed a bit repetitive or the book backtracked a bit when I wasn't expecting, but I really enjoyed learning more about this period of history.
Cheryl
It was an interesting read. I hadn't heard about orphan trains until I came across the book while on a trip in Nebraska.
Lori
I am so fascinated by the whole Orphan train story. This is one of the first books that I read on the subject.
Lisa Cline
Lisa Cline marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Andie Davis
Andie Davis marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Jeanne
Jeanne is currently reading it
Jun 14, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Katie Rowland
Katie Rowland marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Edie
Edie marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Nancy LaTendresse
Nancy LaTendresse is currently reading it
Apr 04, 2014
Jean Gomer
Jean Gomer marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Children of the Western Plains: The Nineteenth-Century Experience Mamie Doud Eisenhower: The General's First Lady Indian Orphanages Cold War Kids: Politics and Childhood in Postwar America, 1945-1960 Linoleum, Better Babies, and the Modern Farm Woman, 1890-1930