The Orphan Trains: Placing Out in America

The Orphan Trains: Placing Out in America

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This is the story of a unique emigration and resettlement of at least 100,000 childrean and several thousand adults, from the East coast to the West in an attempt to find homes for the urban poor.
Published February 1st 1994 by Bison Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Orphan Trains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Orphan Trains

Susanne
This is a very impressive book in the amount of research that was done in writing it and how it all tied together so well. However, I would have liked more personal stories about the actual orphans, especially after having found from read the old Minden Couriers that children from the new York society had been placed in Minden. The first and last chapters, although necessary for such a book in setting up the background and explaining what happened afterward, were not so interesting to me. It was...more
Charles
not what I expected
Andrea
The subject matter is fascinating, but the book was very dry, more like something you would read while doing research. My book club read it and felt the same. We have a member whose great-grandma came to Indiana on an orphan train, and made the discussion more interesting.
Ann Hein
This is a non-fiction research paper giving the facts out the so-called Orphan Trains. I'll admit I didn't read every word, but found interesting and factual information which is a good background for reading some of the non-fiction works on this subject.
Pmacke
a little disappointing ... I was looking for a book more about the kids, but didn't want to read a memoir ... some good pieces but too much about the mechanics of the orphan organizations themselves
Katie
At times, the information seemed a bit repetitive or the book backtracked a bit when I wasn't expecting, but I really enjoyed learning more about this period of history.
Cheryl
It was an interesting read. I hadn't heard about orphan trains until I came across the book while on a trip in Nebraska.
Lori
I am so fascinated by the whole Orphan train story. This is one of the first books that I read on the subject.
Melinda Green
Melinda Green marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Silvia
Silvia marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Shelly Crum
Shelly Crum marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Jean
Jean is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Lisa Cline
Lisa Cline marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Andie Davis
Andie Davis marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Jeanne
Jeanne is currently reading it
Jun 14, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mamie Doud Eisenhower: The General's First Lady Children of the Western Plains: The Nineteenth-Century Experience Indian Orphanages Linoleum, Better Babies and the Modern Farm Woman, 1890-1930 Cold War Kids: Politics and Childhood in Postwar America, 1945-1960