Start by marking “National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America, Sixth Edition” as Want to Read:
National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America, Sixth Edition

National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America, Sixth Edition

National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America, 6th Edition contains the most all-new material since the first edition was published more than 25 years ago. The latest edition will include 300 new art figures; unique subspecies maps never before seen in a field guide; extensive migration information overlaid on species maps; field-mark labels on all artwork; ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by National Geographic (first published January 1st 1983)

Be the first to ask a question about National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America, Sixth Edition

Wesam Karam
May 23, 2015 Wesam Karam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
woww :)
Bob
Dec 13, 2016 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine
comprehensive - covers every species recorded in North America north of Mexico (not including Bermuda or Hawaii), and includes subspecies distributions on 96 range maps. Text and art excellent.
Stacy Mantle
As I will never be able to completely read every entry in this book, I wanted to leave a quick review on what I've gotten through so far. It's really a book designed for learning about (and identifying) different types of birds. The book is broken into different subspecies with a "quick find" index in the front along with a 'visual index" that I really appreciated. Each photo of bird includes a "migration map" that came in handy and helped me identify species that I wasn't sure about.

The photos
Molly
Jun 28, 2015 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nature, non-fiction
I previously had the 3rd edition, and there are some good improvements. I love the quick find index on the front flap of the book. This is going to make flipping to a specific bird a lot easier than sifting through the index in the back. I look forward to having that handy in the field. The range maps for each bird are bigger, and seem more detailed. I wish they had kept the little boxes next to each bird species in the index, which I use to keep track of my life list. The illustrations and deta ...more
Gwyn
Jun 24, 2010 Gwyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine, nonfiction
This book (along with Sibley's) is, in my opinion, the best bird guide out there. Artists' drawings (instead of pictures) give you a better idea of what most birds will look like, rather than what the bird the photographer photographed looks like. A description of habits, habitats, and calls, along with a range map, are shown on the facing page, so you don't have to flip back and forth through the book. My one complaint is the way the book is ordered. Birds are arranged taxonomically, which is f ...more
Joseph
Sep 01, 2009 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: birdwatchers, birders
This is a great field guide, particularly because it is the only one I have found so far that shows all the various appearances of the birds such as juvenile, first year, second year, breeding, spring, fall, western, eastern, etc. Most guides just show adult male and female and maybe juvenile, this guide has drawings that show so much more. It also includes maps that show the birds' range as well as a short paragraph describing it. The book is a bit thick to be carried around, but I think it is ...more
Cindy
Nov 18, 2014 Cindy rated it it was amazing
I had considered myself a Sibley Guide user. This new NG edition has made me a convert!

I like to bring the Kaufman Bird Guide in my pack while walking about, because it's small and packed with so much info. Plus I like the presentation of the photos for id.

But this guide is now the definitive book to stash in the car and to thumb through while at the house.
Mads
Jun 22, 2007 Mads rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not essential reading for Philippine birds but I love the presentation and the depth of the material being discussed. A few information here can help a birder in the Philippines, particularly the discussions on gulls, terns and scaups. Beautifully illustrated. Lovely to look at and leaf through.
Susan
Sep 19, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, it took me a full 2 months to work my way through this encyclopedic work on
birds, but I loved doing it. It all started
when I couldn't identify which finch was
on my balcony...the journey through this
book was well worth it!
Jonathon
Sep 10, 2016 Jonathon rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
Not quite to the level of Sibley, but one of the best available for North America. Although there are still some sub-par illustration in this sixth edition, there are far far fewer than there used to be. Highly recommended.
Karine
Mar 13, 2015 Karine rated it it was amazing
My first ever bird book and my favorite. I've bought many since, but always go back to this one. Sibley's is a close second.

Fantastic for helping identify new species!
Jadwega
Jan 02, 2011 Jadwega rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairly straightforward and easy to use, with good pictures and illustrations. Wish it had more detailed information about each bird species.
Sarah Lindquist
Dec 09, 2014 Sarah Lindquist rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Has been extremely helpful in my bird photography as I am now able to identify most species that come my way without it.
Kirsten
Aug 01, 2011 Kirsten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably my favorite bird field guide aside from the more thorough Sibley. Regularly updated, great illustrations, and very complete.
Niki
Aug 22, 2008 Niki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good field guide for the money. It's perfect for beginning birders and students of ornithology.
Kat Bourgeois
Feb 07, 2015 Kat Bourgeois rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-fun
This is a terrific guide for birding! Illustrations are beautiful and are excellent for bird identification.
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2008
Paulita
Paulita rated it liked it
May 04, 2015
Lalou
Lalou rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Talitha
Talitha rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Leann Smith
Leann Smith rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2015
Nolan
Nolan rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2012
Tom Johnson
Tom Johnson rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2012
Nicholas
Nicholas rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2015
GariRae Gray
GariRae Gray rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Jackie
Jackie rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2009
Tim Brush
Tim Brush rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2011
Stephen
Stephen rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2011
Samra
Samra rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014
Derek Friend
Derek Friend rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2016
  • The Sibley Guide to Birds
  • National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America
  • The Crossley ID Guide: Eastern Birds
  • A Field Guide to the Birds of Eastern and Central North America
  • Birds of North America: A Guide to Field Identification
  • Collins Bird Guide
  • Birds of North America
  • A Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians: Eastern and Central North America (Peterson Field Guides)
  • Birder's Handbook: A Field Guide to the Natural History of North American Birds
  • Ornithology
  • The Warbler Guide
  • The Life of Birds
  • Good Birders Don't Wear White: 50 Tips From North America's Top Birders
  • Birds of America
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Eastern Region
Jonathan K. Alderfer is an art consultant and a bird artist whose illustrations appear in National Geographic field guides. He began his career as a painter in the 1980s as an illustrator of articles for The Western Tanager, the Los Angeles Audubon Society's newsletter.
Jonathan is an avid, expert birder.
More about Jonathan Alderfer...