Start by marking “Left Out In America: The State Of Homelessness In The United States” as Want to Read:
Left Out In America: The State Of Homelessness In The United States

Left Out In America: The State Of Homelessness In The United States

4.53 of 5 stars 4.53  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  13 reviews
"Left Out in America" is a powerful look at what it means to be homeless in the United States. In her first, highly anticipated book, accomplished broadcaster and journalist, Pat LaMarche has documented a piece of American life like no one else has. Having slept in 14 homeless shelters throughout the country over a two week period, and recording her experiences in a journa ...more
Published October 5th 2006 by upalaPress

To ask other readers questions about Left Out In America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Left Out In America

John Atkeison
Who else would spend each night in a different homeless shelter for two weeks straight? And actually write a book about it??

The stories you will find in this book will reveal the human beings behind the labels, and they are like you and me to an uncomfortable degree...
Tracey Grant
I always enjoy reading Pat LaMarche’s works. In the book she brought me into a world that I have not experienced firsthand. Her courage to take on these issues always makes reading her writings heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time.
Diane Nilan
No fluff. No hype. Just pure Pat LaMarche and her uncanny observations, this time examining homelessness. Travel with her on this tour of shelters across the country. You're bound to learn something. Must read for every member of Congress!
Theresa
I'm giving this book five stars because of it's substance. There were many typos and I often stumbled over the writing style. However, the content of this book is magnificent. It's informative, eye-opening, and transforming. I love what Pat LaMarche stands for, and I love how she put her money (so to speak) where her mouth was.

Thank you, Pat LaMarche, for going through this experience so we can see what needs to be seen.
Landon
Pat LaMarche’s background--working with the nation’s poor--clearly helped her write this book. I don’t think someone without her experience could have written it nearly as well. In addition, she showed her dedication to this novel by living in homeless shelters and on the streets for 14 days before she began writing. She discusses serious issues, including domestic violence, that are bound to make you want to get involved and help. A thought-provoking novel guaranteed to change your life, even i ...more
Chelsea Reid
While many public figures participate in philanthropy solely to boost their resumes, Pat has demonstrated a true interest in helping better the lives of people who need her help the most. By putting herself in the shoes of the people that she aims to help and going to see the actual living conditions that they encounter, she has done what many claim is the best method of bridging a gap but fail to do themselves. This book tells the story of that research and experience in a way that will enlight ...more
Sam
Being a privileged member of society has evidently not caused Pat LaMarche to forget about the people who don’t have as much. Rather than turn a blind eye to the challenges facing American society, she has grabbed the issue in a commanding grip and wrestled it to the ground. This book is a job well done when it comes to investigative journalism and proves, yet again, that sometimes the best way to do things is by rolling up your sleeves and getting down to work to find the truth.
Kasey Dixon
This book illuminates one of the things that we tend to forget about as we go through our daily lives...the fact that most of us, who are able to afford this book, have it easy. As we become wrapped up in our own problems, we start to think about our issues as the ones at the center of the universe. Pat Lamarche has reminded us of the challenges that are more important, instilling in her readers a sense of gratitude for the things we take for granted.
Christina
LaMarche has created a masterpiece. With finesse and linguistic skill she does not paint a picture of what it might be like to live in a homeless shelter...instead, through investigative journalism she tells her readers what it’s like. Rather than being astonishingly blunt for shock value, she tells the honest truths of the effects that are had on the morale and the psyche of those who feel they have been cast aside by society.
Zaw
Left Out in America tells the story of the homeless community that has been cast aside by mainstream society. With the practiced pen of an investigative journalist she opens our eyes to what it’s like to live in homeless shelters, answering tough questions and clearing up misconceptions about life on the streets. Through this fly-on-the-wall piece, Pat makes it possible to understand a world that most of us rarely encounter.
Perry Bason
This book provided an amazing view into the lives of the working poor, and made me want to help. The problem is, as the author points out, there’s not a whole lot that we can do on the local level to make things change on the scale that they need to. Every nation will have its pitfalls, but it is the way that the nation chooses to act in response to them that defines the character of the nation.
Danielle
Keeping a level mind is difficult when you’re thinking about situations that you would never experience. Pat has managed to write about an experience that is tough for people to understand unless they’ve lived it. Using her experience as a journalist to her advantage, she delves into circumstances that make people truly appreciate what they have by understanding what it’s like to go without.
Yvette
Great read. Pat calls it like she sees it, puts herself in everyone else's shoes, and helps everyone she can. This is a book that everyone should read.
Lia Mccoy
Lia Mccoy marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Connie Bacon
Connie Bacon marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Barbara Mmcmillon
Barbara Mmcmillon marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2013
Mark Ó Congalaig
Mark Ó Congalaig marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013
Claire Fanning
Claire Fanning marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Daddy, What's the Middle Class? Left Out in America: The State of Homelessness in the United States