Start by marking “The Horror in the Museum and Other Revisions (ST Joshi 3rd in series)” as Want to Read:
The Horror in the Museum and Other Revisions (ST Joshi 3rd in series)

The Horror in the Museum and Other Revisions (ST Joshi 3rd in series)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  616 ratings  ·  22 reviews
This Version is different from other posted, ST Joshi introduction with photo copy of corrected texts at beginning. Most noted for inclusion of The Mound (1929~30)and The Curse of Yig (1928)which some say is more Lovecraft then Zealia Bishop. On the official lovecraft site the entire book may be read
Hardcover, 3rd Edition Note on Text by S.T. Joshi, 450 pages
Published 1989 by Arkham House Publishers, Inc (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Horror in the Museum and Other Revisions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Horror in the Museum and Other Revisions

Oscar
H.P. Lovecraft nunca nadó en la abundancia. Para ir subsistiendo, y visto que sus narraciones no le aportaban la independencia económica que hubiese deseado, se vio obligado a recurrir a trabajos de revisión, corrección y/o reescritura de relatos de autores en ciernes. En ‘Más allá de los eones y otras historias en colaboración’ se recogen una amplia selección de las narraciones que Lovecraft firmó junto a estos escritores.

La presente antología, prologada y traducida estupendamente por José Marí
Felix
Nov 16, 2011 Felix rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die-hard Lovecraftians and completists only
German edition - German review:

Dieser Band versammelt Geschichten verschiedener Autoren, die vom "Meister" H.P. Lovecraft überarbeitet wurden. Insgesamt eine eher durchwachsene Mischung mit keiner einzigen wirklich guten, einigen mittelmäßigen und einigen schlechten Erzählungen. Erzählerisch ragt qualitativ "Das Haar der Medusa" ("Medusa's Coil") heraus, das aber in seinem offenen Rassismus eher degoutant ist. Als Horrorgeschichte funktioniert meines Erachtens "Der Fluch des Yig" ("The Curse of
Graham
I begin this review with a confession. I stole this book.

At the age of 12, I found this in my school library. I borrowed it, devoured it and loved it so, so much that I couldn’t bear to part with it. So I lied to the library staff, telling them that I’d lost the book. They charged me a fee, but I was more than happy to pay, because it meant the book was mine. And still is!

This is the book that introduced me to Lovecraftian and Cthulhu fiction. I’ll never forget the thrills, chills and sheer joy
Chris Matney
In my quest to re-read the Lovecraft canon, I just finished The Horror in the Museum. I picked up a copy of the Joshi hardcover addition because I was interested in his editorial notes. This is a solid edition which should be a must read on any Lovecraft list. The book is divided into Primary revisions and Secondary revisions - depending on the amount of "Lovecraft" in each story. Within these broad categories the tales are chronological (starting in 1918 and ending in 1936).

In some ways, my th
Jeremy Reaban
The other side of Lovecraft. His works are well known, but he also ghost wrote or revised many tales for other authors (mostly amateur but even a couple professionals).

About two-thirds of this book are tales he mostly wrote. Some of these works are quite good, up there with his best. The Mound, in particular, about a subterranean city and lost race. Out of the Aeons, about a mummy for pre-historic times is a strong tie in with Robert Howards prehistory (Conan and co). The title story, The Horror
Natalia
It's something quite different from everything I've read before. To be honest I didn't thought I would like it when I first saw it, since it's about horror and that kind of things. But as I kept reading the short stories of the master of horror H.P. Lovecraft, I really started liking it. As mentioned before, it IS different. The perspective is dark, and the way it's written keeps the classic, formal literature of the time when Lovecraft lived. There are some stories that creep down into the read ...more
Kenton Schassberger
The Mound was extremely vivid in descriptives and so engrossing i ccouldn't put it down. When i first heard of The Mound I had to find it and read it. It is a keeper in any format that it can be found in. Lovecraft may have done most of the writing in this collaboration with Zealia Bishop it only adds to the story its a stand alone story. This Cover image is the same that is also used on the official Lovecraft web page.
Pretty good. It wasn't clear how much this was "Lovecraft inspired," and how much was "Lovecraft originally, but revised." There needs to be an intro or something.

Pretty good stories. I didn't sense the fear of the different characters very much.... it was kind of indicated, as in "I felt horror at the sight of her." etc. Kind of bland horror, but the imagery was cool, and I liked a lot of the stories.
William
This is a collection of ten stories:

The Crawling Chaos
The Electric Executioner
The Curse of Yig
The Mound
Two Black Bottles

Excellent fiction, including some of my favorites.

It would be hard for me to pick the best, but maybe it is The Diary of Alonzo Typer by a narrow margin.
Deathmetalroze
This book is AMAZING in a very silly way. It seemed that most of the works were penned by someone else - seemingly normal and having absolutely nothing to do with the Cthulhu mythos - but then LOVECRAFT got involved... It's sort of like that SNL comedy sketch about BOC and the cowbell --- "Know what this story calls for? MORE CTHULHU!"
Todd
I loved seeing Lovecraft's twist on other people's story ideas. Sometimes you wouldn't know they weren't Lovecraft stories, but in other cases they (such as The Loved Dead) were of a noticeably different intent or direction that his writing. Even in these cases the master made his stamp on the work.
Nathan Shumate
A bunch of substandard Lovecraft that can be blamed on other people.
Dirck de Lint
Some of these collaborations are rather hard to fight through (moreso than unalloyed Lovecraft, even at his more sesquipedalian), but there's usually something in even the most tedious that rewards the effort.
Tony
More of a mixed bag than other Lovecraft comps published by Arkham House, still vintage Lovecraft but more one-offs, polishing or revising existing works by other authors. Hit or miss.
Henry
I didn't get much out of the Secondary Revisions, but enjoyed the Primary Revisions. My picks are: The Curse of Yig, Medusa's Coil, and The Horror in the Museum.
Mark Singer
H P Lovecraft made money re-writing stories for other authors, and most of them were much better than the original versions. For Lovecraft completests only.
Corey
The last in the 4-part collected works of H.P. Lovecraft. Contains revisions and incomplete works for the hardcore fan.
Timothy
I liked this anthology, especially "The Mound." What do other people have to say about these Lovecraft revisions?
Jeannie Sloan
Loved the book.Not all of the stories are Cthulhu Mythos either.The Mound,I think, was my favorite.Very scary!
Nicholas Hunter
An expanded collection of HPL's revisions and secondary revisions of other authors' work.
Barbara
Things HPL helped other authors revise. He's good, as usual.
Winnowyl Daemera
Winnowyl Daemera marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
  • Cold Print
  • The Mask of Cthulhu
  • The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana: A Guide to Lovecraftian Horror (Call of Cthulhu)
  • Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • The Taint and Other Novellas (Cthulhu Collection)
  • The New Lovecraft Circle
  • The Children of Cthulhu: Chilling New Tales Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft
  • New Cthulhu: The Recent Weird
  • Black Wings: New Tales of Lovecraftian Horror
  • The Haunter of the Dark and Other Grotesque Visions
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a
More about H.P. Lovecraft...
The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror At the Mountains of Madness The Call of Cthulhu

“Gerade jetzt, wo ich drauf und dran bin den Nebel zu zerteilen, muß mir das Testmaterial ausgehen - und du rätst mir, mich wieder in blöde Benommenheit zurücksinken zu lassen! Mein Gott! Und unterdessen arbeitet wahrscheinlich irgend so ein gewissenloser Dieb mit meinen Daten und bereitet sich darauf vor, eher zu publizieren als ich und den Ruhm für meine Arbeit einzuheimsen. Ich werde um eine Nasenlänge verlieren - irgendein Narr, der genügend Testmaterial zur Verfügung hat, wird Sieger werden, obwohl ich, wenn ich nur halbwegs angemessene Arbeitsbedingungen hätte, schon in einer Woche mit fliegenden Fahnen durchs Ziel gehen könnte!” 0 likes