Start by marking “The Hunter (The Legend Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hunter (The Legend Chronicles, #1)

The Hunter (The Legend Chronicles #1)

Colt Jackson is one of three brothers who hunt supernaturals across the frontier. He needs to summon his demon to close the rift allowing more Darkin across. Instead of a horned monster, curvy redhead succubus Lilly bargains for her humanity. Her charm and brain plus his silver-loaded pistol and mechanical horse save them so far, but he may need to sacrifice his soul.
Published November 1st 2011 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about The Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hunter

Soulless by Gail CarrigerThe Iron Duke by Meljean BrookClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareChangeless by Gail CarrigerBlameless by Gail Carriger
Steampunk/Romance
178th out of 290 books — 840 voters
Black Beauty by Anna SewellMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenryThe Wild One by Terri FarleyThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyGreen Rider by Kristen Britain
Books with Horses on the Cover
255th out of 475 books — 91 voters

More lists with this book...

Caressa
May 22, 2012 Caressa rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Last night I was in the mood for something Western-ish (hubby has been playing "Red Dead: Redemption" for days), so I downloaded The Hunter from my local library. I had seen before, but always shied away because it sounded a bit hokie (three brothers named after gun manufacturers?) & I haven't had the best experience with Steampunk. Last night, I thought I'd give it a go...I chose poorly.

Theresa Meyers is obviously a fan of Supernatural, too bad I am too (or was until this season, but that's
Melindeeloo
Feb 19, 2015 Melindeeloo rated it really liked it
With his brothers - Winchester and Remington - out of the family demon hunting business, Colt's job just keeps on getting busier, until he finally decides that it is time to track down the legendary book on Hunter lore which holds the 'key' to locking the gate to the demon realm once and for all. The only catch is that the book is in three pieces, and that it takes a demon to get to the piece of the book that Colt's father hid away.

So first step? Summon a demon. But when he does, Colt ends up n
Pam
Dec 08, 2011 Pam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Colt Jackson hunts the supernatural. In Colts world, all the supernatural beings are bad and should go back to hell where they belong. Colt’s friend Marley makes him some weapons to help accomplish that. Colt is on a mission to find the pieces of a special book that will help stop the supernaturals from entering their world. The first part of the book he is looking for is behind a door that only a supernatural being can open. Colt does what he has to do and summons a demon. The demon that comes ...more
Kat
Jul 15, 2012 Kat rated it it was ok
Basic Plot: Colt Jackson is a Hunter trying to save the world from the demon hordes, but he has to summon a demon to do it. The succubus Lilly wants to be human again, and believes Colt is one of the Chosen who might be able to help her out.

ROMANCE ALERT!

The book had a cool cover, a decent blurb on the back, and I wanted to give steam punk a go... *sigh*

The concept was interesting: 3 brothers in a steampunk Western who are demon hunters. Ok, pretty cool. Their names are Colt, Winchester, and Rem
Crystal ♥ RBtWBC
Oct 27, 2011 Crystal ♥ RBtWBC rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars
A dash of the old west, a sprinkle of steampunk and dollop of the supernatural makes for a unique new paranormal romance with The Hunter.

Colt Jackson is a Hunter born and bred; though his parents tried to protect him from the family legacy, when a demon attacks him as a boy his father trains him to take down any and all of the Darkin. Now the only active Hunter of the Jackon’s, Colt is searching for the missing pieces of an ancient book, one he knows his Pa had. The Darkin are growing i
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
****4.5****
This is a great adventure which starts even before Colt summons Lilly. As the youngest child, his father tried to spare him the life of the Hunter, but a demon tried to kill him and they all realized he had to be on it.

From the moment he summons Lilly, neither will catch a break till almost the end of the book. It is a fast-paced story with very little sex (that was managed perfectly). They are a great team and I am not talking about romance. She is resourceful, smart and she realize
I really loved this book, I am not the biggest steam punk girl but I really enjoyed this book. I also loved the dynamic between Colt & Lilly. I will continue to read this series because it is a lot of fun. It is a nonstop ride from start to finish that you will struggled to put down.

This was a really fun book and I can't wait to start book 2. :)
Sonia
Jul 18, 2012 Sonia rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, steampunk
Una sucubo que se comporta de la manera más pudorosa, y la poca química que me han transmitido los protas le restan interés a unas cuantas aventuras tipo Indiana Jones bastante conseguidas.
Seri
Aug 19, 2011 Seri rated it did not like it
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
My Rating: 3.5 stars: Liked it a lot - recommend(B+)

The Hunter is classified as a paranormal romance, steampunk western. With that said, let me translate: The story’s setting is a western - taking place during the late 1800’s on the planes of the wild west. The paranormal factor is strong and is the heart of the storyline. The steampunk attributes are more related to the props than the setting and way of life. Think Will Smith’s Wild Wild West with demons.

The story focuses on the youngest of the
Juju221
Oct 30, 2011 Juju221 rated it it was amazing
The Hunter by Theresa Meyers. I was given the ARC of this book whilst I was at AAD this year, it was one of the ones shipped to me, so you can imagine they took a little longer to get to the UK, but get here they did and whilst I was packing for my holiday to Spain I made sure this went into my bag. A western steampunk circling round the lives of three brothers, I was intrigued! This was book 1 and following the story of the younger brother Colt.

I love westerns, I always have, I think I get it
chucklesthescot
I don't like the steampunk genre at all-nothing about it appeals to me in the slightest. I don't like westerns or books set in old frontier type environments. I don't like heavy romance in my books. This book had all of these elements but the plot was good enough to look past what I don't like for the most part.

Winchester, Remington and Colt Jackson are brothers and hunters, who stop supernaturals attacking people. This book is telling Colt's story as each brother searches out one third of a sac
Tina
Apr 20, 2012 Tina rated it it was amazing
Colt is born in the 1800’s and comes from a family of demon hunters. His family tried to keep him out of the business and ignored him till he was in his middle teens when his brother suffered an injury that prevented him from demon hunting ever again. That is when Colt got his first real taste of what the family was doing. Colt always figures demons don’t take holidays therefore he doesn’t either. Colt is always ready to fight them.

Now, instead of fighting demons, Colt has to work with a demon
Romancing the Book
Reviewed By- Jen
Review Copy Provided By- ARC provided by Publisher for Book Tour
When we agreed to host Theresa Meyers on her blog tour, I jumped at the chance to read The Hunter. I've been curious about steampunk but still hadn't read any books with the genre. But it's one that's been growing in popularity recently, so I decided to check it out. The Hunter was a fun introduction.

The Hunter is the first book in a series that follow the Jackson brothers. They are "The Chosen", paranormal hunters.
Donna (BLHmistress)
I have been a fan of Theresa Meyer's books since I read The Truth About Vampires so I knew when this book came on tour I knew I had to sign up. Even though I had never read any steampunk books and I had been wanting to for a long time. This was my opportunity and I jumped at the chance.

Not only did I find another genre that I could love but Theresa didn't disappoint with this book either. First I love the unique names of Colt, Remington and Winchester. Also loved the fact its set back in the 180
Darcy
I am not a big fan of steampunk, but this one was free for a couple of days a while back and I thought the premise of the book sounded interesting.

I liked the brothers, liked their heritage of being a Hunter and what it stood for. I do wish that we would have gotten more of them together and even more with their father. I liked the relationship between Lilly and Colt. I liked that they both were willing to sacrifice for the other and loved the start of their relationship. The inventor guy was fu
Brenda
Dec 10, 2011 Brenda rated it it was amazing
I'd been hearing so many good things about this, so I borrowed it from the library. Wow, it was amazing! Western steampunk with demons, shape shifters, vampires, and the Hunters. This first story focuses on Colt and Lilly. Three brothers who are hunters of supernatural bad guys and they are named after RIFLES-- the best idea EVER. So we have Colt, Remington and Winchester. Lilly is a reluctant succubus who's studied the three hunter brothers for years, and when she's given a chance to meet him, ...more
Marisa
Two words came to mind over and over as I read this book: aggressively mediocre. There is some great world-building and creativity going on here, but something in the storytelling left me a little cold. The author bio reveals that Theresa Meyers is a "Supernatural" fan, and it shows -- as in the TV series, there are some truly funny and very entertaining moments in a story that, on the whole, failed to really capture me. I did enjoy the light steampunk flavor, especially Tempus the clockwork ...more
W.H. Lock
Jan 20, 2012 W.H. Lock rated it it was ok
Well...It's not a steampunk book. It lacks any of the underlying elements of steampunk. However, this is a paranormal romance or weird west romance. A romance that has some steampunk business thrown in for funzies. (there's a raygun, a mechanical horse, and the inventor friend)

So, if you're looking for a weird west or steampunk adventure, this is not your book. If you're looking for a light-reading romance with strong paranormal and light steampunk elements, this is very much your book.
Mara
Apr 12, 2012 Mara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr, steampunk, dnf, freebies
I couldn't finish this book. I can't say it was poorly written, rather that I couldn't find it interesting enough to keep reading it. Everything felt flat and once the author told me everything upfront what else was I supposed to be hooked by?

It had such an interesting blurb. But even good reviews note that something is missing (even if the readers can't put their fingers on what...)

See Melindeloo for a 4 star review or Hilcia for a 1 star opinion.

Hilcia
Dec 18, 2011 Hilcia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-read, arc, dnf
I was excited about reading The Hunter and actually read about half way through it. It's speculative fiction/steam punk with a western cowboy setting and that sounded great to me. Unfortunately, there's something lacking in this story -- it just didn't pull me in at all. There's a great premise, but there's something missing there. The characters, the atmosphere, the story, all of it fell flat, and after avoiding the book for almost two weeks, (and reading two other books in between) I finally ...more
Ratkin
Dec 13, 2011 Ratkin rated it liked it
Short and sweet: I liked the steampunk aspects (especially the mechanical horse), the overall story, and the paranormal stuff. I hated the romance angles. While I'm not a fan of romances in general, I've read a number of Paranormal Romance books without complaint, but one more iteration of the whole "I'm attracted to her/him [choose one] but he/she is the antithesis of everything I believe in" would have had me throwing the book across the room with great velocity. I doubt that I'll spring for ...more
JC
Feb 26, 2012 JC rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish this book. It wasn't that it was poorly written, rather that I couldn't find it interesting enough to keep reading it. Maybe someday I'll finish it, but it's not likely at this point. Not sure if it was the romance quality. Really, I was getting sick of the main character turning into an adolescent every time he even looked at his female companion. Sure, she's a succubus, but did we really need the constant updates on his erections and other hormones?
Alan
I'm not much for romance novels, but this wasn't too bad. Plenty of adventure scenes, for people that don't like all the sappy love story stuff. As well as plenty of the sappy love story stuff for the romance fans.

While at the heart this book is a romance novel, fans of the fantasy, steam punk genres won't get bored with this novel.
Joe Jones
Dec 20, 2011 Joe Jones rated it really liked it
This is the first book in a new trilogy that follows the Jackson brothers, Colt, Remington, and Winchester. The brothers are hunters whose job it is to rid the world of the Darkin. This book is Colt's adventure. To help him track his father's part of the Hunters book he summons a demon--a succubus named Lilly. Can Colt find the book before the Darkin do, or before he succumbs to Lilly's charm?
Roxanne Rhoads
Jan 04, 2013 Roxanne Rhoads rated it it was amazing
sexy...

paranormal romance with steampunk elements

Love this series...and so does my husband. He really loves the cowboy characters, the steamy relationships and the steampunk gadgetry

I highly recommend this series
Amanda
Oct 13, 2012 Amanda rated it it was ok
Meh, it was like an old Western-style Winchester Bros (Supernatural). Not wowed by it.
Mary
Mar 15, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
Can't wait to read the next one!
Barbara ★
I wasn't impressed with this book. It just seemed too much like Supernatural fan-fiction mixed with an Indiana Jones episode or two Honestly if you're interested in the TV show Supernatural, I'd recommend that you just watch the show and skip this series.

I liked Lilly but Colt Jackson felt flat and one dimensional. I don't think there was enough set-up in this book. The reader doesn't know WHY all supernatural beings are bad and need to be sent back to hell so IMHO a big part of the plot is miss
Katherine McCarthy
Mar 24, 2012 Katherine McCarthy rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
My Thoughts
I chose this novel as part of a reading challenge to prepare for the Authors After Dark convention coming up in August. I’ve never read anything in the increasingly popular steampunk genre and my curiosity lead me to choose this one to include in the challenge. From what I heard, Meyers’ new Legend series was a great place to start.

As my first steampunk novel, I had no expectations and I’m thrilled at how much I enjoyed it. I found that I had to use my imagination more than with othe
  • Her Sky Cowboy (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #1)
  • Geared for Pleasure (Elemental Steam #1)
  • Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1)
  • Dead Iron (Age of Steam, #1)
  • The Impossible Cube (Clockwork Empire, #2)
  • The Seduction of Phaeton Black (Paranormal Investigator, #1)
  • Gossamer Wing (Steam and Seduction, #1)
  • Stranger (The Blades of the Rose, #4)
  • The 19 Dragons
  • Heart of Brass (Clockwork Agents, #1)
  • Dawn's Early Light (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #3)
  • Tethered (Iron Seas, #2.5)
  • Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)
  • Wilder's Mate (Bloodhounds, #1)
  • Hot and Steamy: Tales of Steampunk Romance
  • Viridis (Viridis, #1)
  • The Falling Machine (The Society of Steam, #1)
  • A Lady Can Never Be Too Curious (Steam Guardians, #1)
The progeny of a slightly mad NASA scientist and a tea-drinking bibliophile who turned the family dining room into a library, Theresa Meyers learned early the value of a questioning mind, books and a good china teapot. But it wasnt until third grade that Theresa overcame her dyslexia and learned to read, going on to make words her lifes work. With a degree in Mass Communications she became first a ...more
More about Theresa Meyers...

The Legend Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Slayer (The Legend Chronicles, #2)
  • The Chosen (The Legend Chronicles, #3)