Red Letters: Living a Faith That Bleeds

Red Letters: Living a Faith That Bleeds

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  204 ratings  ·  37 reviews
"I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me."
Matthew 25:42-43 ESV

In many Bibles, Christ’s words are set apart with a red font. It should be obvious, but this distinction helps remind us that when God becomes Man and t...more
Published September 1st 2007 by David C. Cook (first published 2007)

Mere Christianity by C.S. LewisThe Shack by Wm. Paul YoungThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren
Favorite Christian Books
206th out of 875 books — 707 voters
Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron HallGently Awakened by Sara  JosephGod's Smuggler by Brother Andrew7 by Jen HatmakerEmbraced By The Light by Betty J. Eadie
Favorite Christian Nonfiction
24th out of 29 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Melissa
This book rises from the apathetic Western Church who has undoubtedly ignored the needs of the world around them. For that, I appreciate the author drawing attention to the glaring sins of complacency and materialism that so permeate our culture.

However, I believe he uses the tactic of guilt to spur us to action, rather than laying a biblical foundation (and there is a strong one!) as to why the Church should be reaching out to the needy of the world.
Tabitha
The basis for this book is a solid one. I think that it would be a good starting point for people that are unfamiliar with HIV/AIDS and the Christian church's response to this. Given my history in medical case management, I didn't actually learn anything from the book. The author did highlight other books, including: Sach's The End of Poverty and Friedman's The World is Flat.
Gwyneth Jones
I agree with the author that many who call themselves Christians are not following the teachings of Jesus, caring more about their personal salvation than the poor, orphans, people with HIV/AIDS, etc. The title comes from the "red letter" Bibles, editions in which Jesus's words appear in red ink. The author points out that if you look at the red letters in such editions, Jesus helped the sick and the poor radically, without hesitation, and he calls his followers to do likewise. "Whatever you do...more
Adam B.R. Clarke
A review by Adam B.R. Clarke

Tom Davis challenges his readers to wake up and look in the mirror, in search of a “little Christ.” He calls us into a world of compassion, lived out through the study and understanding of the “Red Letters” of Jesus’ teaching. This is one calling that is continually falling on deaf ears around the globe. My hope for everyone after reading this is that every passionate Christian will pick this up and search for Jesus in everyone they encounter.

As a youth leader this b...more
Sandy Sandmeyer
Jun 30, 2010 Sandy Sandmeyer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
I'm still trying to wrap myself around this book, but basically, it's telling us, as Christians and as human beings, we need to be helping the helpless, bringing health to the sick, feeding the poor, etc. We can't ask how you got that disease and deny medical care because someone got sick because they were gay, an IV drug user, a prostitute, etc. EVERYONE IS WORTHY OF HELP AND LOVE!!! Davis specifically talks about the HIV/AIDS orphans and the growing number of humans dying of the disease becaus...more
Ron
Davis' message is simple, zeroing in on Jesus's statement that "whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me." He calls upon contemporary Christians to rise to the challenge of ending extreme poverty around the world, as well as the spread of HIV in Africa. Borrowing a bit of terminology from Bono (who is one of his models for Christian activism), Davis emphasizes justice over charity, permanent solutions over temporary gestures. He is, like the good Samaritan, less intereste...more
Steve
..it was ok, not quite what I was expecting...but Ok
got frustrated with him referring to Africa as a nation
Jessica Kathyrn
It's a must read and re-read for me!
Glenda
I liked the information about HIV/AIDS. It was an added information.
Donald
Aug 27, 2012 Donald added it
Another one of the many "think about this" books. As Christians we are called to action, to making a difference and he spells out the Aids problem in Africa in full detail. The details of the pandemic will make you want to vomit at times. I purchased this book because it was 90% off at one of my favorite bookstores, otherwise I probably would have never read it. Tom Davis has a heart for those that our society considers unloveable. It's a good read.
Jordan Palser
Excellent and incredible book! Perfect combination of sharing from the heart and scripture. I greatly respect Tom's genuineness about compassion and hope. There are many great missions and Great Commission resources, but appreciate his global perspective along with the focus of Africa. You can almost heart Tom talking as he writes, and his strategic information is of tremendous support! I wish there was an updated edition or a part two!
Val
This is a good place to START if you're new to the issue of the crisis of HIV/AIDS orphans. It's a fairly simple book with a good take-home message. Its prose lacks polish (I think I did editorial work for too long not to notice), and it has a self-published feel at times. Still, worth the read -- this book definitely brings a lot of issues that merit attention to the table.
Mary
Sep 08, 2012 Mary added it
This book was great. It really made me think about a lot of different things. The only complaint about this book is it focused a LOT on charities. Which is not a bad thing at all don't get me wrong everyone should take care of others...I mean it's in the Bible. I just think there should have been more about helping besides just giving money. This is definitely a good read though.
Zacksmom Okon
This is a life changing book for all humanity. Who would have thought a phrase like "the least of these" would be the nucleus of such an important part of our walk in faith. For me, this book went far beyond HIV/AIDS pandemic. A new perspective of the life, ministry, and compassion of Jesus Christ. (oh, yeah - and I have a new respect for Bono)
Aryn
This book definitely challenges you to live out your faith. You are awakened from your daily life, and reminded that there is a world in desperate need. Tom Davis implores us as Christians to heed God's word, to go outside our churches and get moving! For lack of better words, to "practice what we preach".
J
One of few books I have read straight through in one sitting. After having traveled to Africa and actually seen the faces of people impacted by such atrocities, this book furthered my commitment to act. I have since sponsored two little girls in Africa and plan to add to my giving in the very near future.
Tylor Lovins
This book is just awful. This guy obviously wrote this book to make money from well-meaning 'new' Christians who are looking for ways to impact the world. This guy may be genuine, but his reflections are hardly honest and never thorough. I would recommend this book to nobody.
Michelle
I'm so excited to read this... I skimmed the book and already feel that my life may just be challenged and changed a bit. Very heart wrenching about AIDS orphans and the situation around the world. "I desire mercy not religion" (Matt9:12) so far is the gist I'm getting!
Carol Wunderlich
Good overview and challenge to live God's call to justice. Lots of Bono and other pop culture references... could make it a good tool for a message of justice for young adults. Not so strong on the practicval ways to help end injustice here closer to home tho.
Maura
Dec 19, 2007 Maura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to follow jesus
hey, it's about africa so i'm probably a little partial ;) but seriously, this is a great book. Definitely challenging. Presented some suggestions for confronting the overwhelmingly destitute condition of our world...so ya, read it kids!!!!
Phil Rice
The challenge within this book can be best summarized by one quote from it: "We weren't created so we could simply amass wealth and influence. We were created for something more. To live for something bigger than ourselves."
Teresa
This has to be one of my all time favorite books....A Must Read! Tom Davis challenges us to take action, to do something, to put into motion the mission God has given us. Amazing! Tom is a true inspiration!
Amy
Although this was a good book and stirred my heart to action, I was expecting a little something more in depth along the lines of teaching why Jesus word's in red letters were so important...
Macy

I really enjoyed reading this book. It was so interesting and informational. I just thought it really exposed bad things that are happening and inspired me to want to do something.
Jarkko Laine
A book with a strong, meaningful message every Christian should consider. Not a perfect book, but deserves 4 stars because of the impact it had on me. I have to find my way to live this book!
Lauren
What I've read so far I've really enjoyed. There's a lot of famous quotes and great facts. The author's made great points and wonderful references to the Bible.
Katie
Amazing book that really opens your eyes to how you need to help others and how you can start doing it!
Leslie
This book is a good call to Christians to respond to situations in the world like pandemics, poverty, etc.
Donna
Another one of my all-time favorite books. Definitely for people who have a passion for orphans.
Lori Matthews
This book is very convicting, It was so good I read it in 2 days, I think that is a record for me.
  • Orphanology: Awakening to Gospel-Centered Adoption and Orphan Care
  • The Power of a Whisper: Hearing God, Having the Guts to Respond
  • The Shelter of God's Promises
  • Barefoot Church: Serving the Least in a Consumer Culture
  • The Book on Leadership
  • The In-Between: Embracing the Tension Between Now and the Next Big Thing: A Spiritual Memoir
Scared: A Novel on the Edge of the World Priceless: A Novel on the Edge of the World Thirty-Nine Years of Short-Term Memory Loss: The Early Days of SNL from Someone Who Was There Why Dogs Do That: A Collection of Curious Canine Behaviors The Tattered Autumn Sky: Bird Hunting in the Heartland

“Mother Teresa said: "The dying, the crippled, the mentally ill, the unwanted, the unloved - they are JESUS IN DISGUISE...” 3 likes