Start by marking “Puppies For Dummies” as Want to Read:
Puppies For Dummies

Puppies For Dummies

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Features a new 8-page color section
The bestselling guide to making the most of puppy's first year
Bringing home a puppy? This fun, friendly guide to puppyhood prepares you for this tough but terrific time. From the basics -- housebreaking, feeding, training -- to the latest on doggie day care, traveling with a puppy, and the new designer breeds, you get everything you nee
ebook, Second Edition, 384 pages
Published March 3rd 2011 by For Dummies (first published June 5th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Puppies For Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Puppies For Dummies

Jen
This book was an invaluable resource/lifeline when my husband and I suddenly adopted our first puppy this summer at the age of 38. The little 12-week-old lab was taking over and we had no idea where to start! I really like that Hodgson focuses on positive reinforcement instead of negative training. There are lots of terrific pointers for newbies - housetraining alone was worth the price! (Look at the dog when it goes - they crave eye contact - and repeat the bathroom word you use.) Coupled with ...more
Kiri
This is a quality work of reference! Covers tons of stuff, organized in a useful way. It has been a godsend over the last three weeks of puppy-care! Sometimes it helps to just know that other people have dealt with things like chewing and biting, and that there are techniques to deal. Good stuff.
Abby Lyn
This is a very thorough introduction to dog care by an obviously knowledgeable trainer who focuses less on the Dog Whisperer's style of loving dominance over the dog and more on general puppy-family bonding and positive reinforcement. There are a lot of great pointers in here, from how to select a puppy from the litter (less useful to our family, however, since we were relying on online videos posted by the breeder and couldn't perform some of the in-person submissiveness tests she recommends - ...more
Mary Beth
This is timely as we just got a puppy! Sarah is a good friend of mine and the best dog trainer ever!
Newfiekidd92
This was helpful but there are so many other books I wish I would have read earlier, so I probably wouldn't recommend this one.

But this is suitable for those interested in positive dog training (basically I always thought of this as training your dog without hitting them: the attachment parenting for dogs).
I was also really happy she mentioned socialization.
Victoria
I got my first puppy a month ago and this book has been invaluable for help with him. Definitely a must-read for any first-time dog owners (or anyone who gets the first dog that is really theirs, after growing up with family dogs like I did).
Jaguar
I think this book was informative and has a bunch of information on Puppies. If you are thinking about getting one, already have one, of just want to read for the information like me, read this book. The Pets Dummies books are pretty informative and helpful.

2014-Summer-Reading-Review
Becky
Myself being a first time puppy and dog owner I found it full of pleasant information about how to positively train my puppy. I've been using some of the suggestions like the "Looking for rain," and the treat cups for my 11 week old Pekingese. At the end of the book it had a chapter devoted to fun tricks you can teach your dog, or games to play with them. I wish I had known about this book before I got my puppy because I really like the puppy personality test that can be performed as early as 8 ...more
Deb Lonergan
Very helpful and thorough. I appreciate the positive, gentle approach. Bring on the puppy!
Caralee
Much of this information was nice and useful. However, they try to break down some of the different commands and give set amount of repetitions and days for your dog to learn the skill. It seemed like that was unproductive to me since dogs, like people, learn at different rates, so doing 5 repetitions for 3 days may be too little for some dogs and could lead to frustration on the part of the puppy and owner.
Theresa
This gets a 4 because one of Chase's favorite supervised games comes from this book: puppy soccer. Use empty plastic bottles with the labels removed. Everyone in the game gets a bottle. Start kicking your bottle around. When the dog becomes interested in your bottle, you let him have it and continue kicking another bottle. Chase loves it.
Lindsay
This is currently the savior of my sanity. I love its gentle and loving approach, as opposed to "The Everything Puppy Book," which focuses more on how to show your puppy who is boss. Puppies for Dummies emphasizes the importance of bonding with your puppy, and making them feel comfortable and happy in their new home.
Suzanne

Can say much about this can I?
I have 2 dogs, and I couldn't gone through it without the excellent help of this book.

Of course, read it if you have dogs xD otherwise will be pointless, unless you are a dog trainer or aiming to be one.

Great tips and great ways of helping us understand them!

Thank you.
Adrienne
Oct 08, 2007 Adrienne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a dog of any age, not just puppies
This book tells you everything you need to pick a breed and then a particular puppy. Then, it gives very practical tools for training a dog of any age to have manners and do basic tricks: sit, down, stay, come, off, calm down, go to sleep, do your business. I used this book to train Zinfandog.
Hope
Apr 22, 2008 Hope rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a dog or thinking of getting a dog
Wow, there is a lot of information here. Never having brought up a puppy before it helped to understand so much in regards to relations with the dogs as well as training. This book is very thorough and sits close for quick reference.
Shelly
The first time through the book I picked up lots of interesting information and I liked it. However, when I run into a problem with my puppy, or wonder why she's doing something--zero help.
Amy
This book has some great ideas on how to train puppies. My super, soft fluffy puppy is a great dog but we both definately needed a lot of guidance. It is a great reference book too.
Dawn
read in september of 2004 -- when the puppy kobe arrived in my life! quite helpful, as i was a "puppy dummy" before! (september 2004) (4 stars)
Kerrie D'Ercole
So, I hate the whole dummies guide thing.
But this was a gift from my mother on the occasion of
getting a pup, so am reading through it.
Amanda
This book was a great tool for training and choosing our pups. The end of the book has a guide on how to choose the right pup for your family.
Manos Matsakis
Not only for dummies!! Very good info, training and games ideas! Almost everyone will find something useful and practical!
Sara
This is my first foray into books for dummies. It was a good one--from picking out a puppy to teaching her to do tricks.
Dorothy
Sep 03, 2008 Dorothy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dorothy by: Emily
Some good tips, but what it's trying to do in comprehensiveness, it lacks in depth. Or something like that.
Kathy
Good tips on housebreaking and informative as to what to expect from your puppy.
Kim
Very helpful book and will be a resource for me even as my puppy grows up.
Lindsay
Jul 01, 2011 Lindsay rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a new or existing puppy under 1 year!
Shelves: non-fiction
GREAT reference. Now I think I'm actually ready for my puppy!!
Jacqui
As a first time dog owner.. this was a MUST when I got my puppy!!!
Kay
Pretty basic, but we're starting with the basics here!
Kim
Great information. Easy to follow.
Natalia
Jul 16, 2008 Natalia is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
check back in a few months...if jack is well behaved/learning- it worked!
  • The Encyclopedia of the Dog
  • How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live with
  • My Smart Puppy (TM): W/DVD: Fun, Effective, and Easy Puppy Training
  • Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook
  • 101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog
  • Dog Training For Dummies (For Dummies)
  • The Power of Positive Dog Training
  • Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies
  • Art for Dummies
  • The Intelligence of Dogs: A Guide to the Thoughts, Emotions, and Inner Lives of Our Canine Companions
  • Shakespeare for Dummies
  • World History for Dummies
  • Cats for Dummies
  • Light a Single Candle
  • It's Me or the Dog: How to Have the Perfect Pet
  • On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals
  • Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Science
The Secret Life Of Dogs Dog Tricks For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech)) PuppyPerfect: The user-friendly guide to puppy parenting Dog Perfect: The User-Friendly Guide to a Well-Behaved Dog Dog Tricks & Agility for Dummies