Start by marking “The Monk and the Philosopher: A Father and Son Discuss the Meaning of Life” as Want to Read:
The Monk and the Philosopher: A Father and Son Discuss the Meaning of Life

The Monk and the Philosopher: A Father and Son Discuss the Meaning of Life

Jean Francois-Revel, a pillar of French intellectual life in our time, became world famous for his challenges to both Communism and Christianity. Twenty-seven years ago, his son, Matthieu Ricard, gave up a promising career as a scientist to study Tibetan Buddhism -- not as a detached observer but by immersing himself in its practice under the guidance of its greatest livin ...more
Published March 16th 2011 by Schocken (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Monk and the Philosopher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monk and the Philosopher

Kstangl
Dec 27, 2009 Kstangl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
The concept is promising: a Buddhist monk justifies why he left a promising scientific career in France to become a monk in Tibet to his well-connected father, all under the guise of an intellectual discussion on religion and rational secularism. And both men are extremely well-educated, bright and articulate. My heart just wasn't in it. Try as I might, I just couldn't get past the father's irritating, narrow-minded elitism. The son offers wonderfully clear explanations of Buddhist tenets, but I ...more
Jon Gauthier
Feb 05, 2017 Jon Gauthier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, religion
This book is the first Western introductory Buddhism book I've read that speaks clearly to me.

As a cognitive scientist, I'm interested in Buddhism for reasons both intellectual and spiritual. For example, here are some of the intellectual-level topics I want to address in a study of Buddhism:

— What position does Buddhism take on consciousness and the "hard problem?" How does the Buddhist story of consciousness integrate with reincarnation belief?
— What are the consequences of removing the il
dario
Oct 20, 2010 dario rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Para mi gusto, se acerca (peligrosamente) al libro ideal. Ideas que disparan ideas más reaccionarias, filosofía, las todopoderosas ciencias duras, el entrecruzamiento del pensamiento occidental y oriental y lo que genera y degenera en ese desmadre. El diálogo entre padre e hijo, entre un filósofo y un científico y posterior monje budista, el ateísmo de uno y el desapego del otro, el constructor de ideas y el desarmador, el brillante intelectual y la sabiduría antiquísima del otro, la ignorancia ...more
Nuno Ribeiro
A work of intelectual honesty, of inter-cultural respect and of father-son love. Through these pages, Jean Francois-Revel does not hold back any of his hard questions about spirituality and religion, nor does his son Matthieu Ricard try to dodge them. The result is a frank, deep talk, about some of the most fundamental questions that humans have studied and meditated about for thousands of years. All in a reunion of two sharp minds, that took place near the high mountains that are now the home o ...more
Ladan
Dec 22, 2008 Ladan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"If man is no more than his neurons, it's hard to understand how sudden events or deep reflection and the discovery of inner truths could lead us to completely change the way we see the world, how we live and our capacity for inner joy. Any such major upheaval would have to be accompanied by an equally deep and sudden major restructuring of the complex circuits of neurons that determine our habits and behavior. If, on the other hand, consciousness is a nonmaterial continuum, there's no reason wh ...more
Eugénio Lojo
Aug 05, 2012 Eugénio Lojo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O monge, Matthieu Ricard, brilha desde a primeira página. O filósofo, Jean-François Revel, sabe fazer as perguntas certas para que o resultado final seja uma visão bastante funda do budismo em geral, e da tradição tibetana em concreto.

Acho que o livro consegue mostrar à perfeição os pontos comuns entre a filosofia, como conhecimento mais teórico, e o budismo, como conhecimento baseado na prática contemplativa, que serve de base a todos os seus conhecimentos. É curioso ver, nesse sentido, como o
Joshua
Dec 20, 2011 Joshua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this after loving Matthieu Ricard's book, Happiness. Ricard is a genius biologist turned Buddhist Monk and his father is the brilliant French philosopher, Jean-Francois Revel. This book is a conversation between the two! What could be more interesting? Unlike other "free-thinker vs. religious person" books where I have always taken the side of the free-thinker, I was on the side of both parties here so it was that much more enjoyable. I consider myself a spiritual free-thinking atheist. B ...more
Jon Boorstin
Apr 17, 2015 Jon Boorstin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fine investigation of Buddhist philosophy by an eminent French humanist and his son, a Buddhist monk with a phd in biology. They know what a proof is. Beautifully balanced and fair minded, with an ear for the resonances between different schools of thought. Should we strive for personal success, or is that striving a snare and a delusion? What is success, truly? And how to be truly fulfilled? These two men love each other and respect each other's views. Honest and illuminating.
Leland Beaumont
Dec 16, 2012 Leland Beaumont rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The relationship between father and son is always complex. Fathers want the best for their sons, and sons balance a natural tension of wanting to learn from father, and live up to his father’s expectations, while exploring all that is new and exciting in the world. It is a respectful yet powerful tension between old and new, experience and novelty, obedience and autonomy, belief and curiosity, advice and adventure. This tension is richly realized throughout the remarkable dialogue created by the ...more
Gautham Shenoy
Dec 10, 2013 Gautham Shenoy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This wonderful book is a dialogue between a philosopher father and a buddhist son about the ideas from the eastern and western traditions that concern themselves with the meaning of life. Jean-Francois Revel appears to be well versed with not only the works of the contemporary modern philosophers but also of the ancient greeks and the roman schools of thought. And he uses his knowledge to probe into the metaphysics, ethics, and practice of buddhism. The son, Matthieu Ricard was groomed to become ...more
Jacob Elder
I had some difficulty determining how I felt about this book by the end. It began with so much potential and was really an interesting way of introducing Buddhist teachings and ideologies through a Western lens. I began thoroughly engaged and immersed in the efforts of the son (or the monk) to properly convey his understanding of Buddhist wisdom to a skeptical and scientific community.

However, as the book went on I became a bit disenchanted with some of the patterns. As the father begins to pres
Aneesh
A very interesting dialogue.

I could feel my sympathies alternate between the monk and the philosopher. Jean-Francois' erudition comes through, and as I already agree with what I think his views on religion and ideology are, I could empathise with his stance. On the other hand, my personal experience of the effectiveness of meditation at self-transformation allowed me to understand more deeply what Mattheiu said. I felt that he was somewhat more defensive of Buddhism than Jean-Francois of Western
Paul Loong
Aug 06, 2011 Paul Loong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a Easterner, when I first pick up this book, I am expecting to read a comparison of the Buddhism and Christianity. After reading it, I am shocked to find out that not only does it provide a comparison, but also that my original concept in Buddhism is totally wrong.

If you have a little knowledge or you want to know the real thinking of Buddhism, I strongly recommend you to read this book. If you are a Buddhist, this book provides a good contrast between Eastern and Western thinking.
Elia
Sep 05, 2015 Elia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid introduction about Buddhism structured in a QA. What makes it interesting is the authors backgrounds, and the fact that none of them get to drag long enough without being challenged, whether by expected or unexpected reasoning. The book is very broad allowing readers of the west into a curated insight.
Manu
Feb 15, 2017 Manu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
A biologist turned Buddhist in conversation with a philosopher about the meaning of life. If that isn't interesting by itself, they happen to be son and father. (respectively) World views separated by time and distance. What really works is that Matthieu Ricard and Jean-François Revel have absolute clarity on the points of view they represent, and yet, are not in the discussion to force their perspectives on the other.
The scope of the discussion includes scientific research, metaphysics, politi
Marcel
Nov 20, 2015 Marcel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interessant concept: een filosoof, Jean-François Revel, voert gesprekken met zijn zoon Matthieu Ricard, een boeddhistische monnik met een achtergrond in de westerse wetenschap. Meestal stelt de filosoof vragen, om het boeddhisme beter te leren kennen, om het in een hokje te kunnen duwen (is het een religie of een filosofie?), en vergelijkt en passant de antwoorden van de monnik met de westerse filosofie, met name die van de epicuristen en de stoïcijnen.

Dit levert een mooi beeld op van het (Tibet
Viraj Kulkarni
Apr 03, 2015 Viraj Kulkarni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Through an extraordinary dialogue between a father and a son, this book explores Buddhism and how it addresses some of the most profound questions about nature and reality. The father is a well-known French philosopher. The son is a scientist who has given up a promising career to become a Buddhist monk.

Eastern philosophy is enmeshed in religion and has been taught for centuries through the language of faith. This language sounds strange to the modern reader who is better acquainted with the ton
Gerardo
Nov 27, 2015 Gerardo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A father, both a philosopher and atheist, discusses with his son, a ph. D. in microbiology turned into Buddhist monk, about the meeting and diverging points between Western philosophy, science and religion and Buddhism.

And so the book unfolds as a fascinating conversation that explores both Western and Eastern wisdom, presenting the main tenets of both sides in a very accessible, yet profoundly captivating style. The son explains certain aspect of Buddhism, which the father doesn't believe so an
Milo García Molinero
Interesante puesta en común de los principales puntos de vista occidentales (progreso, ciencia, filosofía...) frente al oriental (psicología, vacuidad, armonía...) encarnados en la filosofía budista. El éxito de occidente, lo material y fenoménico, frente a lo oriental, lo nouménico y espiritual. Un recorrido frente a las principales ideas del budismo y de cómo chocan o concuerdan con las ideas de Europa desde el surgimiento de su historia hace 2.500 años. Personalmente me quedo con el deseo fin ...more
Steve Voiles
This is a fascinating situation where an esteemed scientist has left science to become a Buddhist monk, rising to the inner circle of the Dali Lama, while is father is a respected philosopher of western thought. The two undertake an extended dialogue in an effort to understand each others' thinking and spiritual values.
This is a very learned conversation between two high educated people and, as such, become difficult to read for those of us with less specialized educations. Still, if you are int
Lee Preston
Jul 10, 2016 Lee Preston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't quite what to expect from the book when I first read it though I did know what I was getting myself in for.

A book that I read from cover to cover with an open a mind as I could and really enjoyed the discussion and really enjoyed the concept of the book as I haven't read one like this before.

If I could go back and read it again, I suppose I will at some point, I would read a chapter and then go away to digest the points before returning to the next chapter and so on. Had I done this, I
Aurélie
C'est amusant : quand j'ai lu ce livre la première fois, je pratiquais encore le Bouddhisme et le point de vue de Matthieu me semblait lumineux et celui de son père obscur, surtout parce que je ne connaissais pas toutes ses références à la philosophie occidentale.

Quand j'ai relu ce livre des années après, avec un bagage plus conséquent, le point de vue de Jean-François Revel m'a paru beaucoup plus valide et pertinent.
Jordi Balaguer
Apr 13, 2015 Jordi Balaguer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
¿en qué consiste la moral, si el sentido de la libertad y la responsabilidad es anulado por el sistema político? W.Ricard.

Un llibre que dona la volta a tots els temes: ciència, univers, religió, política, art, cultura, ètica, civisme... i tot ho desafia. M'ha fet crèixer a base de diàlegs i preguntes, al més pur estil plató-sòcrates. Una obra genial, per a mi INDISPENSABLE referència de coneixement.

melissa
May 31, 2007 melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is interested in consciousness, philosophy and spirituality
Still only halfway through this book, but it's marvellous. It's written-up conversations between a French philosopher of the Western tradition, and his son, Matthieu Ricard - Buddhist monk and translator for the Dalai Lama. Because it's in the form of a conversation - you really see the personalities of, and relationship between, the two men ... and with each challenging the other, it's the perfect way to digest something of both Buddhist and Western philosophies.
Nava
Sep 22, 2013 Nava rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
I don't think I learned anything new and I struggled with the dialog format. but it did address some of questions I had about Buddhism. Explicitly asks and answers questions like whether it considers itself a religion, whether it is nihilistic and how it sees reincarnation. a soft filing out of the details in compact and accessible portions of wisdom. the summary of western philosophy is no less valuable than the Buddhist view which dominates. In the end I can recommend it highly. :-)
Renato
Jun 14, 2013 Renato rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Uma conversa desiquilibrada entre um senhor que explica muito bem uma data de coisas giras sobre o Budismo e outro senhor que supostamente está lá para defender a perspectiva céptica, secular e ocidental mas que não sabe bem o que está a dizer e repete constantemente algo como "Hum, curioso, isso até faz sentido, nunca tinha pensado nisso". A discussão sobre o "sentido da vida" é, na verdade, um workshop sobre Budismo.
Joel
Apr 21, 2009 Joel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engaging, informative, intriguing. The dialogue between the father (philosopher) and son (monk) captures much of the tension in the interaction between western and eastern ideas. As a western person with a great interest in eastern philosophy and contemplative tradition, I found that both raised questions that echoed my own. In the process, the book offers a very digestible roadmap of Buddhist history and basic points of western philosophy, especially where relevant to Buddhist ideas.
Rigmor Munkvold
May 02, 2015 Rigmor Munkvold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bill
Nov 06, 2011 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
As noted by most of the Goodreads reviews, this is a good introduction to buddhism. It was also for me a good reminder of western philosophy. The greatest strength for me lies in the discussions of Buddhism as a science of mind. When the discussion veers into Buddhist metaphysics or Tibetan politics the discussion remains interesting, but less convincing. Perhaps naive is the right term?
Carole
Jan 11, 2010 Carole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
A very interesting dialogue between an atheist, philosopher father and his son, Mattheu, a trained scientist and an ordained Tibetan buddhist monk on what Buddhism is or isn't, and how aspects of it are mirrored in the writings of various philosophers over the years. Some of the best description of Buddhist tenants and what appeal they may have for all of us.
  • The Quantum and the Lotus: A Journey to the Frontiers Where Science and Buddhism Meet
  • For the Benefit of All Beings: A Commentary on the Way of the Bodhisattva
  • Alone with Others: An Existential Approach to Buddhism
  • Awakening the Buddhist Heart: Integrating Love, Meaning, and Connection into Every Part of Your Life
  • Interbeing: Fourteen Guidelines for Engaged Buddhism
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • Waking, Dreaming, Being: Self and Consciousness in Neuroscience, Meditation, and Philosophy
  • Rebel Buddha: On the Road to Freedom
  • The Myth of Freedom and the Way of Meditation
  • The Fruitful Darkness: A Journey Through Buddhist Practice and Tribal Wisdom
  • Pure Heart, Enlightened Mind: the Zen journal & letters of Maura "Soshin" O'Halloran
  • Destructive Emotions: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama
  • The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way: Nāgārjuna's Mūlamadhyamakakārikā
  • Einstein and Religion: Physics and Theology
  • Crooked Cucumber: The Life and Teaching of Shunryu Suzuki
  • Illustrations for the Book of Job
Jean-François Revel was a French politician, journalist, author, prolific philosopher and member of the Académie française since June 1998.

He was best known for his books Without Marx or Jesus: The New American Revolution Has Begun, The Flight from Truth : The Reign of Deceit in the Age of Information and his 2002 book Anti-Americanism, one year after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. In t
More about Jean-François Revel...

“the mind plays the essential role in satisfaction and dissatisfaction, happiness and suffering, fulfillment and failure. The mind is behind every experience in life. It is also what determines the way we see the world. The mind is the window from which we see ‘our’ world. It only takes the slightest change in our minds, in our way of perceiving people and things, for that world to be turned completely upside-down.” 2 likes
“Consideremos, por ejemplo, la omnipotencia, pues un creador ha de ser onmipotente: o bien el creador no decide crear, y en ese caso pierde su omnipotencia, pues la creación se hace sin el concurso de su voluntad, o bien crea voluntariamente y ya no es todo poderoso, porque crea bajo la influencia del deseo de crear.” 1 likes