Shadow Heir (Dark Swan, #4)

Shadow Heir (Dark Swan #4)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  7,571 ratings  ·  1,063 reviews
#1 New York Times bestselling author Richelle Mead returns to the Otherworld, a mystic land inextricably linked to our own—and balanced precariously on one woman's desperate courage . . .

Shaman-for-hire Eugenie Markham strives to keep the mortal realm safe from trespassing entities. But as the Thorn Land's prophecy-haunted queen, there's no refuge for her and her soon-to-b...more
Mass Market Paperback, 390 pages
Published December 27th 2011 by Zebra

Wendy Darling
3.5 stars Oh Eugenie, Eugenie, Eugenie. Throughout all four of the Dark Swan books, I feel like you could have used a good girlfriend you could call whenever you had the urge to do something silly. Unfortunately, you didn't have my number, and as much as I've enjoyed your company, I still have to fight the urge to shake some sense into you, even after all this time.

In Shadow Heir, Eugenie Markham has her twin babies but hides them away in fear of their safety. She returns to the faery world to f...more
Beatriz  Lins
First of all, let me tell you that there will be spoilers of the previous books in the series, and heavy spoilers of Shadow Heir. I’m sorry, but I just have to comment about the ending and why I was so frustrated.

I can’t believe I’m giving 2 stars to one of my favorite series (and favorite author). Richelle Mead’s previous series, Georgina Kincaid, and Vampire Academy, were fantastic, but just like this one, the final book let me down. The only difference, though, is the level of disappointment...more
AH
Why do I do this to myself? Kiyo better die in this one!

Finally a cover! Did you read the blurb? The uneasy truce between her and her shape shifter ex-lover Kiyo is endangered by secrets he can't--or won't--reveal. What uneasy truce????

3 - 3.5 stars - Not what I expected after seeing a lot of reviews -

Updated - 1/27/12

Shadow Heir had been staring at me for a few weeks now. It’s pretty pink cover mocked me, dared me to read it. Reviews had started to come in and a lot of the reviews were not ve...more
I heart MOLDY APPLES
Dec 31, 2011 I heart MOLDY APPLES rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: No one with patience
Shelves: disappointment
Please excuse my french but...

What kind of Bullshit was that?! I waited 4 books just for the series to end with a CLIFFHANGER!!!!!!!! I know I am not the only one that feels that there should be a 5th book in the making. I mean how can you end the book that way. What kind of monster are you?!!! Richelle ANSWER MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! This book was like a mega mindfuck. IF she ever writes another adult series, I can guarantee I will be highly hesitant to read it.

Note to all Writers*
Never end
Mika
I'm absolutely disappointed with this book. I feel sort of betrayed that Richelle would choose to end it they way that she did. An ending like that would be enough for me to drop an author altogether and the only reason I won't is because I'm way too invested in her VA world to drop Bloodlines.
This is strike two against Richelle's end of series. The way LS ended was sort of disappointing but there was the excuse that things would be explained later in the spin-off. I don't fail to see the irony...more
Marissa
2.5 stars, if that.
UGH! HUGE disappointment. Thats all I'm willing to say right now.

~Edited for final words above.~

Pre-review:
If Kiyo doesn't end up a soft, pretty wall decoration in Dorian’s home, I may have to quit you, Richelle Mead. (Adrian’s story being the only exception, of course.)
Alice
2.8 stars and most of that is for Volusian and his awesome. Tiny review later.

* * *

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!
After everything Kiyo's done she's still making truces with that asshole? Hello, fool, HE TRIED TO KILL YOU AND (view spoiler) Not even Sassy Gay Friend could save Eugenie from herself at this point. She's a special kind of stupid.

This is most likely...more
Jessie
I dont know whether to rate it high or low because it was a great book but i was quite disatisfied with the ending . I want to know what his reaction would be - those that have read it know what i'm talking about - and i just wish it had ended different, she has to tell him or their relashioship isn't going to work. To be honest i wouldn't forgive someone if they lied about that - not that they can because i'm female.
I can kind of (a tinsy bit) see where she is coming from but i would never hav...more
is mee... kissa
3.5
(view spoiler)
not one of my favourite books in the series, but i really liked the final quarte. i wanted more relationship stuff with Dorian and the poopdeck Kitsune involved, it only really started happening at the end, which is why i liked the ending so much. still, four stars is pretty good. but i really, really, really...more
Pamela / SpazP
Originally posted at WickedLilPixie Reviews
Blurrrg. What. the. hell? That was my initial reaction upon completing Shadow Heir. As the last book in Richelle Mead’s Dark Swan series, I will tell you right now I expected more. Way more. Especially after the great steps back Eugenie made as a character and Queen in the previous book, Iron Crowned. But I hung on, I thought maybe this would just be a case of us needing to remember we can all take a few steps back, but still detour back on course. Sadl...more
Sarah ~Slow reader, or slowly reading? ;)
1.5 stars. Holy shit. I have never been more insulted by a book in my entire life. This was such a waste of my time and affections. If I had known that the series would end like this, I would have NEVER started it.
This review might be more of a rant: so beware. I will hide anything I think is spoiler-worthy (and when I mean spoiler-worthy, I mean it. Do NOT look unless you've read and/or don't care about being spoiled). I like lists, so here's a list of things I noted about Shadow Heir:

1. This...more
Suz
Meh. Wanna bet there'll be a novella or short story next year? The end was sloppy. As I was reading the book I remember thinking "I should be making a note of all these plot holes." But in truth, I'm just glad it's over. By the end I wanted Kiyo and Maiwenn to die, and Eugenie too.
Kim
I am sad to see how this series,whick I had loved, ended with me feeling very let down. RM made Euguie into the biggest hypocrite I have ever read! OMG I HATED how she ended this series!

Have to say, Dorian was definitley the best part of the series,and deserves someone better than Eugiene. My wish is that he finds out THE TRUTH,gets the twins and kicks her out on her ass for not telling him he was their father!
Stacia (out of inspiration)
3.5 stars.

Anyone who knows me by now, knows that I am a Mead fangirl. Her ability to create different worlds, races, and a variety of character types has always impressed me. Her talent for writing witty quips and exchanges keeps me bookmarking quotes in every book, so I can share them later. Her genius for drawing me into a story, making me love and hate characters and scenarios so passionately is a big reason why I know that I will continue to read anything she writes. I don't even mind the c...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
It's all about Dorian for me. For him, I give this three stars. Also liked the faerie aspects. Otherwise, this didn't ring my bell.

Full review will be published in the January 2012 Affaire de Coeur issue. http://affairedecoeur.com.
Leigh
2.5 stars ~ Other than being a little slow in the beginning, I enjoyed ALMOST every bit of this book...had the ending been different, it would have been 4-4.5 stars. However, the last page or two involved a decision by Eugenie that I wholeheartedly oppose and am abhorred by...for those last 2 pages, I would give it 1 star. Therefore, I am averaging the two and coming up with 2.5 stars as a final result.

Words cannot even describe the disappointment I am feeling as I write this review. I LOVE Rich...more
Dija
Eugenie's aggravating adventures finally come to an end in Shadow Heir. While I have yet to regain my former love for Richelle Mead's adult series, I didn't completely loathe this ending either.

Eugenie is just as irritating, immature, selfish, and blind as she's always been. I couldn't believe her internal dialogue at times. She continuously gives Dorian a hard time for something he tried and succeeded in making up for, but she's completely willing to give Kiyo another chance as soon as he eve...more
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
***Slight spoilers. Large spoilers for anyone who hasn't read Iron Crowned***

This wasn't quite the happily ever after ending that I was hoping for, but Eugenie's life hasn't exactly been a fairy tale. Well, I suppose that isn't completely true. After all, she is a woman who discovers that she's at the center of an ancient magical prophecy and stumbles upon events that eventually lead to her rule as Queen over a fairy kingdom in the Otherworld... so maybe it is a fairy tale, but still, the happil...more
Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess
Reviewed for Wickedly Bookish

I'm just going to start this review by saying I enjoyed the book overall. The series was starting to lose it's momentum, but like any good author, Mead writes her series with an end in sight. I can't stand when a series goes on forever just to squeeze out some extra money, but I won't get into that here.

If you are a fan of the series, but haven't had a chance to pick this one up, you are probably aware of the infamous ending. I do...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
I can't say that this is my favourite book by Richelle Mead. Mead is one of those authors who love to drive their readers crazy, both in good and bad ways that always result in the same thing: the desparate need for another book.

I think with this supposed end to the Dark Swan series, Mead was focusing more on keeping the series open-ended for possible spin-off books. And because of this, there were a lot of pointless build-up because readers didn't get that satisfied hit after reading this.

SHADO...more
Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres*
*Only read this review if you are caught up to Iron Crowned in the series!*

Shadow Heir is the last in Mead's magic-and-Fae-based urban fantasy Dark Swan series. If you've been keeping up with the series, you know that A LOT went down in the last one! I don't want to spoil anything for those of you who haven't read up to book three...so if you are not up to that book, turn back now! Okay, you have been warned.

Freakin' Kiyo! He totally screwed up Eugenie's life in Iron Crowned! First he gets her p...more
MISS VAIN
Oh Eugenie you stupid selfish person! Dorian should never forgive you for your secrets. I didn't think it was possible to hate Eugenie more than I have in the previous books but I do now!!!!!! Unforgivable sums up my thoughts in one word right now.

Review to come later.
C.D. Coffelt
Dec 28, 2011 C.D. Coffelt rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to C.D. by: Title / Author / ISBN
Buy the Book

That is my recommendation. I am glad I read it but—

Ms. Mead has a reputation for starting a great story then leaving me frustrated and angry at the end. This series is no exception.

Without giving away the ending, it is difficult for me to articulate exactly why but to put it succinctly, Eugenie is about the most unlikable MC to cross my path in a long time.

IMHO, there is an unnecessary twist in the last pages that could easily be resolved. I anticipated one of the secondary character...more
The Holy Terror
A pink cover and comes out on my birthday!

^_^

Here's hoping her gift to me is Kiyo's slow, painful death; preferably by castration, but I'll also accept a mortal gut wound.
Nita
I finished the book about 45 minutes ago and have been sitting with the computer in front of me trying to decide what I want to rate this book. I keep going back and forth. Here's my problem - the story itself is great, from Eugenie's pregnancy to their dealings with the blight. I really enjoyed it. But, to me this book did not really feel like a final book in a series. Yes, hard decisions were made by Eugenie and unexpected secrets were revealed, but not enough things were resolved for me to be...more
E
WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! I've always liked Eugenie, I haven't always agreed with her actions, but over all I thought she was strong, indepedent, funny and super kick ass- now I think she is a stupid selfish cowardly bitch!
Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews:::
Review posted on VanesMateTheBookaholic

In this final installment of the Dark Swan series, Eugenie is about 5 months pregnant with the twins. She's been hiding from that asshole Kiyo and that beeznatch Maiwenn and secretly trekking to the doctors in the human world. Realizing what she's doing is just too dangerous for the twins, Roland sets her up with a shaman friend of his in Alabama so she can finish the remainder of her pregnancy in peace and safety. Yes....Alabama. What I loved about the the...more
Steph
3 1/2 Stars
-Spoiler-Free Rant-

I admit, I've read my fair share of bad series finales or even followups, but I think Ms. Mead may have taken the cake as being the supreme Queen of Disappointment. Not to say I didn't enjoy the book up until that fateful point, but I think if I would have know that it was going to leave me so dissatisfied, to the point of frustration and anger, I might not have bothered with it in the first place. I understand that not every story is meant to have a happy ending,...more
The Flooze
There's one thing I can say with absolute certainty: Mead is still adept at writing hypocritical heroines. Eugenie blithely makes solo decisions whilst bitterly railing against anyone who does the same. Her complaint that she's afraid to trust anyone is moot when, through the course of the series, she repeatedly acts in underhanded and selfish ways.

Saving grace: It wasn't until the end of the book that this trait to cropped up in a significant way. Until that point, I was actually enjoying myse...more
Jamie
Succubi, Vampires...: * Shadow Heir (Book 4) 21 63 May 08, 2013 11:18PM
Vampire Book Club: Shadow Heir ending (aka WHYYYY Eugenie?!) -- with plenty o' spoilers 21 173 Feb 19, 2013 06:28AM
Alternate Endings 24 159 Dec 30, 2012 03:03AM
Thoughts on Shadow Heir (SPOILERS) 140 236 Nov 27, 2012 12:19AM
The Ultimate ABC ...: Shadow Heir by Richelle Mead 1 10 Mar 14, 2012 05:18AM
  • Eternal Lover (Hell on Earth, #2.5; Georgina Kincaid, #2.5)
  • The Shattered Dark (Shadow Reader, #2)
  • Blue-Blooded Vamp (Sabina Kane, #5)
  • A Sliver of Shadow (Abby Sinclair, #2)
  • Darkness Rising (Dark Angels, #2)
  • Biting Cold (Chicagoland Vampires, #6)
  • Shadow Bound (Unbound, #2)
  • Death's Rival (Jane Yellowrock, #5)
  • Widow’s Web (Elemental Assassin, #7)
  • Magic on the Line (Allie Beckstrom, #7)
  • Deadly Descendant (Nikki Glass, #2)
  • Head Rush (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #3)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Fury's Kiss (Dorina Basarab, #3)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
  • Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell, #2)
  • Flesh and Blood (House of Comarré, #2)
  • Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4)

A life-long reader, Richelle has always loved mythology and folklore. When she can actually tear herself away f...more
More about Richelle Mead...
Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5)

“But it's not the name I'd give to a conqueror of worlds... I would've gone with Thundro or Ragnor. I might just call him Thundro anyway.” 43 likes
“Mistress, I have never asked anything of you in my servitude. But now, I beg you this: do not make me keep passing these adolescent sentiments back and forth all night.” 36 likes