Start by marking “Charlie the Ranch Dog” as Want to Read:
Charlie the Ranch Dog

Charlie the Ranch Dog (Charlie the Ranch Dog Picture Books)

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,182 Ratings  ·  182 Reviews
Meet Charlie.

He's a ranch dog. Breakfast is his life, especially when bacon is involved. Charlie has dangly ears, floppy skin, and big fat paws. And he loves living in the country. That's because he works like a dog...fixing fences, gardening, and helping his family out on the range.

Audio, 0 pages
Published April 26th 2011 by HarperCollins (first published March 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Charlie the Ranch Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charlie the Ranch Dog

Erin Straley
Jul 13, 2011 Erin Straley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, picture-books
Now, I love the Pioneer Woman blog, but I can't get behind a book that seems to only exist for brand promotion. There's no storytelling here, just prattle about the details of the daily life of a ranch dog in the same cutesy voice that Drummond uses on her blog. I have a copy of this at the library because our centralized collection development bought it for us. One star only because the illustrations are cute.
Sweet on Books
Meet Charlie, the pioneer ranch dog. Charlie is the beloved pet of Ree Drummond, author of the the hugely popular blog, The Pioneer Woman. In this amusing story, Charlie narrates a typical day at the ranch with his sidekick and fellow canine, Suzie. Apparently, Suzie is in need of much guidance about what needs to be done on a ranch and Charlie's work is never done between ranching, protecting and teaching Suzie. The reality is Charlie doesn't do much but sleep and eat (especially bacon!), and S ...more
David
Jun 15, 2011 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
Charlie the Ranch Dog by Ree Drummond, illustrated by Diane deGroat is
a look at the life of a hard working pioneer ranch dog, two dogs in fact, as related by Ree Drummond, known as the Pioneer Woman.

Charlie narrates a typical day at the ranch with his fellow canine Suzy. Charlie is a bassett hound and Suzie is a Jack Russell Terrier. In Charlie's mind he is constantly busy, including training Suzie. In reality, Charlie mainly sleeps and eats, with bacon his favorite food.
Charlie eventually sa
Kristin
Oct 10, 2011 Kristin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The genre of this book is a picture book, and is intended for children who are (P) ages five to eight years old. This book is about a dog names Charlie and his friend Suzie who live on a ranch. Charlie is a bassett hound who loves to sleep and eat, and occasionally work on the ranch. But really Suzie does most of the work while Charlie relaxs. This is a very cute book that children are sure to fall in love with. Charlie, the main character, is a cute and funny pup with a huge heart. The illustra ...more
Mar 12, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Such a cute story, and my K-3 grade kids enjoyed it. I was going to do a book talk on Brian Selznick's "Wonderstruck" and share his writing process with the 4th and 5th graders (had seen him in person at a book signing where he did a presentation). I wanted to show the writing process with a book appropriate for the young ones, as well, and found Ree Drummond's blog when searching. She shares pictures of the writing process (including the work with her illustrator) and explains ...more
Carol Jen
I follow Ree's blog and my absolute favorite part of it are Charlie stories and pictures. How did I not know that there was a picture book about him?!?! I was browsing the shelves at the library and it popped right out at me... when I saw the title on the spine I knew it had to be about the Charlie that I loved to follow online :-) Loved the illustrations and the run down of Charlie's day. It certainly helps that I have a lazy hound of my own! Fun read - glad I found... will definitely be adding ...more
Jared White
I was helping some young patrons at the library to find some books and they said, "We want Charlie the Ranch Dog!" I was unfamiliar with the series until then and was glad we had it to offer. After it came back in I snagged it because it looked so cute.

Join Charlie the basset hound for a day on the ranch. He's great at everything he does but doesn't mind sharing some of his responsibilities with his best friend, Suzie the Jack Russell terrier. Honestly, I think Charlie is getting a little old,
Kelly
Jan 19, 2016 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So sweet!
Stacie
Author: Ree Drummond
Illustrator: Diane deGroat
Title: Charlie the Ranch Dog
Plot: "Meet Charlie.

Yep, it's all work, all the time for Charlie the ranch dog. In fact, he's probably working right now...

Zzzzzzz....

A ranch dog's work is
Ashley
Jun 10, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Illustrations by: Diane deGroat
Publication date: 2011
Fiction, Picture book

Summary:
This story is narrated by a dog named Charlie. He describes a day in his life living on a ranch and how he helps his owners with things like: scaring the cows off the yard, mentoring the young dog Suzie, and helping with chores…well sort of.

Evaluation:
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I would recommend this book for a read aloud and for an emergent reader-early reader. There are many literary elements to discuss. Th
Jan
Jun 22, 2012 Jan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charlie the hound lives on a ranch, with his terrier friend, Susie. The two work hard all day, with Charlie making sure that Susie does her job right. Between meals, naps, and supervising, a ranch dog's work is never done. Hmm. Guess it's time for another nap....Zzzz. With wonderful illustrations by Diane de Groat, this picture book will tickle the funny bone of kids who understand the irony of the "hard-working" hound. Ages 3-6
Beth
Charlie, as the title so explicitly states, is a ranch dog. He's up before the sun and helps out with chores around the ranch like... sniffing, eating, and napping. Charlie likes to think he's being helpful, but really his best friend Suzy does all the heavy lifting.

I adored the illustration in this book, and I especially love how they so perfectly and lovably contradict the story Charlie is telling.
Kathryn
Sep 16, 2011 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I am so enjoying Ree Drummand's new show on The Food Channel, her blog and her recipe book The Pioneer Woman Cooks. This book is all about their funny dog Charlie. It's a terrific book. If I didn't love Shelties so much I might consider a Beagle!
Andrea
Jul 21, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Absolutely hysterical! As the owner of a basset hound, I thought this was an amazing children's book written about basset's and their personalities. Everything in here made us laugh out loud. I think the humor in owning a basset hound was so well captured because the author is an own of a basset. They truly are a different breed, but we don't love them any less!
Gary
Feb 24, 2012 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this to my grandkids.
Though the book is written with children in mind.
It touches the adult who reads this book to children.
I may need to buy more copies to allow little fingers to touch the pages as we read it.
A good introduction to the author who is also an accomplish parent, and a culinary leader of "everyday" food on her foodtv show.
Shannon
May 21, 2011 Shannon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I got this from the library this because it was on last week's NYT bestseller list. WHY??? The story is awful, the art is below middling, and the only redeeming factor at all is the chipmunk who appears throughout the book. One of the worst books of 2011 so far, hands down.
Brunette Librarian
Jan 09, 2014 Brunette Librarian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
Easy to read for young readers but still interesting enough for older ones, Charlie the Ranch Dog is a fun tale about the day in the life of Charlie, a dog on Ree Drummond’s farm. Charlie, Drummond’s real dog, tells of his friends, the animals on the farm and the hard work he does day in and day out. Including time for naps, breakfast, lunch, more naps, and occasionally running Susie the cow of the garden, Charlie does his part to make sure everything runs smoothly.

Beyond being a fun read that
E.B.
Apr 27, 2011 E.B. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The pictures are cute, but I got the impression that this is just another tool to promote the PW brand. I'm glad I didn't buy the book.
Rachel B
Very cute illustrations. I LOVE Ree Drummond and the Pioneer Woman. This is a book I just had to buy for my library. :)
Kathryn
Jan 21, 2016 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a hound named Charlie who lives on a farm. He thinks he is the pinnacle of the farm, but in reality he lays around and falls asleep while everyone else does the work. It's a really cute book.I liked this book. I love dogs and think their personalities are worth telling about in stories. I love that it was through the dogs perspective. The illustrations were very cute and I really like the expressive words used in this book.

I would read this in my class as just a fun book to ge
Jeralynn Moser

I agreed with almost everything the various reviews commented on -- except for one detail from the Horn Book Guide. It felt that the tale of Charlie was "homage to the author's own pet than a story." I think that Drummond's recreation of a day on the ranch comes full circle and has all of the elements a good story should have. Add in the realistic illustrations and the hidden story within a story involving an endearing ground squirrel, and this book is su
Edward Sullivan
Lazy basset hound. Adorable illustrations.
Rebekah
This is a sweet, tongue-in-cheek, day in the life of a Basset hound named Charlie, who lives on a ranch in Oklahoma. His idea of work falls more into the category of supervising the other dog, Suzie, that shares his living space. Charlie spends the majority of his day sleeping. He will walk around the farm to make sure that the cows are not invading the garden, returning to the porch to take a nap. Charlie enjoys eating, especially if bacon is involved. That pretty much sums up the plot line of ...more
Kimberly Werner
“Charlie the Ranch Dog” is a picture book for children ages 5-8 (Primary). Charlie is a floppy eared, lovable country dog. He lives on the ranch with his best friend, Suzie (another, more energetic dog). Charlie’s narration takes the reader on a tour of his very ‘busy’ day helping on the ranch. The plot is meant to be comical as it soon becomes clear that Suzie is the one who does most of the work while Charlie takes frequent naps and stops for snacks. In the end, Charlie does have the opportuni ...more
The Styling Librarian
Charlie the Ranch Dog by Ree Drummond and Diane deGroat – Love that this book can be watched/read aloud on bn.com!
Charlie is the cutest dog who appreciates others and enjoys life on the ranch, even with all his responsibilities- even sniffing the porch steps is an important job! Especially love the extra stories shared through the illustrations by Diane deGroat. Love the life of a ranch dog out and about all day…
Jamie
Mar 24, 2015 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charlie!

I love watching the Pioneer Woman on the Food Network. The recipes are always like comfort & stick to your rib type of food. I also love when she talks about her family. Charlie is a member of her family and this book gives an insight to life on the ranch and the adorable Charlie. I am so happy that Ree has books dedicated and about her beloved pooch, Charlie.
Rosa Cline
Mar 16, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Wonderfully written and illustrated book about a sweet dog, Charlie and his best friend Suzie taking care of his humans and their Ranch. Goes through their daily activity through Charlie's point of view. My 3 year old granddaughter smiled and giggled through this story. This is a good series of children's books.
Julie Barrett
Nov 23, 2015 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlie the Ranch Dog by Ree Drummond
This audio book is about Charlie the dog who works daily on a ranch.
Susie is his best friend, Daisy the cow, sweeping the porch steps is one chore he also does.
He loves breakfast, and then helps Momma in the garden. He naps and then it's time for lunch already.
Barbara
Oct 16, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ncbla, picture-book
Life isn't easy for a working dog, and Charlie the basset hound describes this busy routine. Together with his canine friend Suzie, he maintains order on the ranch. But as he goes through the day, it's clear that Charlie does more sleeping, eating, and relaxing than he does working. But when the family cows start to chew on the plants in the garden, Charlie comes to life. This would be a neat book to use for introducing voice since Charlie's voice is so present in the book's pages. Anyone who lo ...more
Ashley Valenzuela
This story is told from the perspective of Charlie. Charlie describes a typical day on the farm. Careful attention to the clever illustrations reveal that Charlie does a lot less helping than he actually believes. This series is great for studying different story elements, especially character development.
  • Homer
  • When a Dragon Moves In
  • Fuddles
  • Chicks Run Wild
  • Ruby Bridges Goes To School: My True Story (Scholastic Reader Level 2)
  • Fred Stays With Me!
  • Chick 'n' Pug
  • RRRalph
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Dog in Charge
  • Three Hens and a Peacock
  • Bear's Loose Tooth
  • The Princess and the Pig
  • A Is for Musk Ox
  • Meet the Dogs of Bedlam Farm
  • Little White Rabbit
  • Otis and the Tornado
Ree Drummond began blogging in 2006 and has built an award-winning website, where she shares recipes, showcases her photography, and documents her hilarious transition from city life to ranch wife. She is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling cookbook The Pioneer Woman Cooks. Ree lives on a working cattle ranch near Pawhuska, Oklahoma, with her husband, Ladd; their four kids; their belov ...more
More about Ree Drummond...

Charlie the Ranch Dog Picture Books (4 books)
  • Charlie and the Christmas Kitty