Start by marking “Demonsouled (Demonsouled, #1)” as Want to Read:
Demonsouled (Demonsouled, #1)

Demonsouled (Demonsouled #1)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  1,089 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
For fans of Robert E. Howard, David Gemmell, and Raymond E. Feist, here is a new story of sword and sorcery.

Banished for fifteen years, the wandering knight Mazael Cravenlock returns home at last to the Grim Marches, only to find war and chaos. His brother plans a foolish and doomed rebellion. His sister hopes to wed a brutal and cruel knight. The whispers speak of living
Nook, 316 pages
Published April 15th 2011 by Jonathan Moeller, via Smashwords (first published May 13th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Demonsouled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Demonsouled

Daniel
Dec 05, 2011 Daniel rated it it was ok
This is the first novel-length work that I've read on the Kindle. It's being offered on Amazon gratis as an entry-point to the trilogy. I warmed to the comparisons that other readers made to Howard's "Conan" stories, and I figured, what the hell: instead of combing through reviews and picking through the crop of fantastic offerings out there, why not just pick up some random fantasy book and see what's there?

This book is ok. Minus about 100+ pages of talking heads and grade-school political mach
Rachel MacNaught
Sep 20, 2015 Rachel MacNaught rated it liked it
I rather enjoyed reading this, though I found I became less interested as the plot played out. A strong start with an acidic protagonist at the helm soon became cliched and almost whiny while he was supposed to be falling into evil. His calculation became passion, even in his interactions with friends, and cheesed up everything. I found myself rolling my eyes at his quick burning instinct to murder everything rather than actually caring for how he got there.

Watching someone's soul unravel would
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
This book is listed as part of a trilogy but as far as I can see on Amazon, there are now 5 books listed as part of the "Demonsouled" series. The author has been compared to Raymond E Feist, David Gemmel etc - as for me, I can see similarities but I don't know if I would compare them.

The plot and storyline take you right into the action from page 1 and is fairly well paced throughout. However, the main character didn't really do it for me. Although he showed emotion and depth of character, there
FIREnICE brah
Mar 05, 2012 FIREnICE brah rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Potential. That's what the book had.

I really enjoyed how the main character thought up ways of killing people as he first met them. Somewhere along, he apparently stops having these thoughts... That was the most refreshing thing about the book.

Character is apparently a dark individual with a troubled mind? Somewhere down the line, he completely changes and becomes a boring cardboard cutout. What changed?

This series could have been steered the right way but instead becomes a cliche story with
Tim Pollard
Jan 03, 2016 Tim Pollard rated it liked it
This is a pretty straight-forward pulp fantasy; there's nothing wrong with it, but nothing particularly to recommend it. The "surprise" twist is not going to surprise you (the title gives you a pretty strong hint), but it's solid, straight-forward entertainment for the few hours it will take to read it. I give it a rating of Worth Reading or three out of five stars.

Strengths:

* Plenty of action.

Weaknesses:

* Surprise twist is given away in the title.
Nicole Trainor
Feb 07, 2012 Nicole Trainor rated it it was ok
For a free eBook on my Kindle, this book wasn't too bad. It felt a little draggy at times and there were multiple instances where I really wanted to shake some sense into the main character. I did enjoy most of the secondary characters, until my favorite character in the whole book got killed. However, I don't think I'll be continuing this series.
Paul
May 13, 2014 Paul rated it really liked it
I was really tempted in the early chapters to stop reading this book and write a scathing review. But I persisted, and I am glad I did. Make no mistake, the first two chapters was the weakest in the book, a poor start to what became a fairly interesting story, the beginning of a series I will continue.

Starting with the basics: second-son of a defeated lord returns to his home after 15 years with friends in tow to discover all is not well. Early adventures are extremely stereotypical but get thro
Matt Larkin
Dec 22, 2011 Matt Larkin rated it really liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy
I don't recall how I first spotted Demonsouled, but it was probably on the Kindle boards. It was free, so I figured I'd give it a try. Seeing a novel underpriced does kind of throw up red flags, even though part of me realizes the idea is to create a loss-leader. But it makes you wonder whether the author has confidence in their work. So before I spent much time reading it, I check out the reviews on Goodreads. Many mentioned typos as a problem with the book. Perhaps I had a later copy, because ...more
Georgia
Feb 26, 2013 Georgia rated it really liked it
A very good and exciting read, Mr. Moeller created a new mythology and a new hero for me to become invested in. I enjoyed the writing style and how there was no real break in the telling to explain a mythology or concept; it was all worked through in what read as natural dialogue and through the thoughts and actions of the main character Mazael.

Along with some wonderful historical references to knights, lords and courts, there were new fantasy elements and magic introduced and really great image
Bernadita
Sep 09, 2012 Bernadita rated it really liked it
This book was cool because it talked about magic and demons. The characters were good. The book was also full of suspense but, sometimes you knew what was going to happen. It was confusing for awhile because it would go from real life to a dream and you wouldn't always know when it was real life or a dream. In the book the main character had to find out a lot about his life and family because they kept them a secret. Mazeal, the main character, had made a bunch of companions on the way to find o ...more
Jagged
Feb 11, 2015 Jagged rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
"It always happens. It always ends this way. The heavens fell when the demons rose up. And again and again men build nations, and destroy themselves in war."

This was a decent read. A bit transparent, but with a solid plot.

Mazael was a bit conflicted. He was rather feminine at times, which surprised me considering this was written by a man.
For how smart Mazael was, I was not so inclined to believe that he would be so stubborn in seeing the truth for as long as he did. It was even more annoying b
Keith McArdle
Dec 11, 2012 Keith McArdle rated it really liked it
I found this book gritty and grounded, which is a refreshing change from pretty elves holding hands and dancing around a magical fire at the base of a magical tree in a magical forest.

I can definitely see the influence that David Gemmell played in this author's development, and that's what I like about the story, I can see a similar style to Gemmell's. I would have given 5 stars, however the book requires a thorough edit, which seemed to have been done up until almost the half way mark and then
Nicola
Feb 01, 2012 Nicola rated it liked it
I liked this book - magic, demons, castles and knights, a nice plot and good characters. I thought it didn't quite reach it's potential though. For me it seems like it could have been a smaller story within a larger epic tale (although this could well be true depending on the next books in the series which I'm yet to read).

I was a bit confused at first, I thought that maybe there were previous books that I'd missed with all the mentions of Mazael's achievements in the past. It sounds quite inte
Olethros
Jan 06, 2014 Olethros rated it liked it
-Espada y brujería pero con mucho de intriga política.-

Género. Narrativa Fantástica.

Lo que nos cuenta. Mazael Cravenlock vuelve a los territorios que una vez fueron su hogar tras quince años de ausencia para contemplar que las disputas y feudos entre señores siguen presentes. A tres días del castillo de su familia, y junto a sus dos acompañantes, hace noche en una posada y averiguará más cosas sobre la situación actual en estas tierras. Cuando llega la mañana, se encontrará con su primer familia
Éric Kasprak
This is not high literature and it is not that well writing, but this is a very fun read. The story is entertaining, easy to follow and move along quickly. Even thought the quality of the writing is basic, the author use a lot of dialogue (50 to 60% of the book) and it makes reading the story easy and involving. There is enough action and evil sorcery for all you fans of classic sword and sorcery adventures and the author as many more books in this series witch is always a good thing. Sometimes ...more
Don
Sep 01, 2011 Don rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a well paced book, with interesting characters. While not a mystery per se, it did keep me guessing about exactly what the snake cult might be.

I had only a couple of minor annoyances, and it was probably due to reading it as an ebook, on Nook for Android. There were several typos, so it probably needs another cycle or two of editing or proofreading at least. The print size and typeface changed at seemingly random times in the course of reading. It would go from a sans-serif font to a se
Cassandra Debrown
Aug 14, 2012 Cassandra Debrown rated it really liked it
I haven't had this much fun with a fantasy tale since I read Game of Thrones for the first time. It was a lively and lovely tale of magic, sword fights and knights. The story follows the antics of a Knight callede Mazael who seems to have a little extra in his genetic mix. Well written and enjoyable with only a change in spacing and font halfway through to remind you it was a kindle freebie. I loved it.
Cassandra DeBrown
Author of legitimate issues, Our Urban Utopia and a little bit of black magic
David Teachout
Jul 02, 2013 David Teachout rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, fantasy
Interesting and definitely well paced, reading the story is easy and doesn't bog down in either ridiculous minutiae or needless world-building. The central character's struggle with his inner anger is believable within the world in which he inhabits and the story is tragic enough to tug at the reader's emotions. The latter is a touch too much though, it's a tragedy with little in the way of ease for anyone concerned, neither the characters or the reader. With a title like "demonsouled" perhaps t ...more
Mikey Terry
Aug 05, 2014 Mikey Terry rated it really liked it
TOTAL DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH!

When I finished this, it was free on the Nook and I didnt expect much. Was I wrong!

I would put Moeller's work up there with the likes of R.A. Salvatore and just below Tolkien himself. As a fan of this type of literature, I enjoyed the characters, the details, the scenery, the plot, the tactics, the drama, and the scenes of battle.

The scenes of battle especially impressed me, as they were so vivid and compelling. I was riveted. I hope you were too.

A definite recommen
Robert
Feb 07, 2014 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I see a hint of Eddings' “Sparhawk"

This is a good book. The story is well developed, as I read I felt immersed in it. That is what I look for in a story to become a part of it. I enjoyed the characters personalities and quirks. I felt like I was starting to know them through the book. I do see the main character as Sparhawk from David Eddings. But he takes a subtle turn away then run parallel to him. I will read the next books and continue the journey of discovery.
Mark D
May 02, 2013 Mark D rated it it was amazing
I loved this book/series. Can't wait for book 7!!

It has everything you would want in a gritty fantasy - I read it after reading Blood Song and the Red Knight and I'd throw it right up there with those 2 masterpieces.

The Demonsouled aspect is a nice addition as well, almost like Berserkers. Love it!
Jan
Sep 06, 2011 Jan rated it liked it
This was a free download from Kindle - thankfully.

I enjoyed the story ... unfortunately the editing was terrible, as the book went on it became worse to the point it was distracting from the story line.

Will read more of Jonathan Moeller's books, but not if the editing is a repetitive problem.
Stuart
Dec 31, 2011 Stuart rated it really liked it
an interesting take on a very traditional style of writing - swords and sorcery, epic battles, and a rich background to an interesting world.

The use of a professional editor would be a help, though - the book displays problems with homonyms (sun/son), dangling sentences, and errors such as 'made' instead of 'mad'.
David Tiffany
May 08, 2012 David Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book was quite a surprise. I took a chance on it since it was offered free. Fast pace and a lot of action. Editing needs some attention, as there are some words that are misspelled or out of place. The editing issues are generally minor and reader confusion is minimal. If you enjoy fantasy, this book is worth spending some time with.
Nick
Nov 02, 2013 Nick rated it really liked it
Overall I liked this book. I thought the plot was fairly well thought out however some parts were a little predictable. I enjoyed the characters and the addition of the literal "demon-inside" that the main character has to deal with. The ending is open to the sequels that follow it.
Douglas Hansen
Typos... But an amazing story

The story was fantastic and gave a fresh breath air in sword and magic books. The typos where not few though. Luckily the story was good enough for me not to care.

Sometimes I was reading so fast that I did not notice some of them.
Brandon Jones
Mar 20, 2014 Brandon Jones rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
had potential but some of the writing was pretty bad to where i almost set the book aside a few times but pushed through since it is shorter then what i read usually. don't think I'll continue with the series
Shady Lubbad
Aug 03, 2015 Shady Lubbad rated it really liked it
Tamara!
Mar 27, 2014 Tamara! rated it really liked it
Zuvembies, politics, swords and sorcery, evil afoot, whew. What an adventure! Had a sad moment though, wasn't all good guys winning. sniffle. But am now looking forward to reading more of what life is going to throw at Mazael!
Rushbug23
May 16, 2015 Rushbug23 rated it really liked it
I liked this book..I normally don't like books with the medieval old time settings with all the different speech etc but I found myself intrigued with this book.. the raw ruthlessness if mazael...the man will kill without a second thought it was awesome.
  • Sanctum's Breach (Delver Magic, #1)
  • Dawn of War (Blood War, #1)
  • Children of Another God
  • Gifted Apprentice
  • Inherited Danger (The Dawning of Power, #2)
  • Night Birds' Reign (Dreamer's Cycle, #1)
  • Chosen (Guardians of the Word, #1)
  • Shadow Games (Shadow People, #1)
  • Embers (The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, #1)
  • My Sparkling Misfortune (The Lakeland Knight #1)
  • The Gods of Dream
  • The Circle of Sorcerers (Mages of Bloodmyr, #1)
  • Blood of the King (Khirro's Journey, #1)
  • The Gauntlet Thrown (Gauntlet Trilogy, #1)
  • Draykon (Draykon, #1)
  • Stealer of Flesh
  • The Deliverer (The Marenon Chronicles, #1)
  • The Black God’s War: A Novella Introducing a new Epic Fantasy

Demonsouled (8 books)
  • Soul of Tyrants (Demonsouled, #2)
  • Soul of Serpents (Demonsouled, #3)
  • Soul of Dragons (Demonsouled, #4)
  • Soul of Sorcery (Demonsouled, #5)
  • Soul of Skulls (Demonsouled, #6)
  • Soul of Swords (Demonsouled, #7)
  • Demonsouled Omnibus One (Demonsouled, #1-3)